Start by marking “Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, Pars I: Familia Romana” as Want to Read:
Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, Pars I: Familia Romana

Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, Pars I: Familia Romana (Lingua Latina per se Illustrata)

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  421 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
CD-ROM version of Lingua Latina: Part I: Familia Romana and contains entire text digitized, interactive pensa and first thirty-one chapters read aloud by Hans Oerberg. For PC only.
Published January 28th 2011 by Focus Publishing/R. Pullins Co. (first published 1996)

Nina-Alexa
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AEMILIA UBI EST BACCULUM MEUM?!??!!??
Keegan
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: latin, favorites
I think LL is excellent. It got even better when I saw how other people were using it online.

I read LL after having done an intensive 2-month course with Wheelock's Latin, so I was extremely well-prepped in the grammar and could focus on what LL really offers: Training myself to read Latin fluently, left-to-right, as opposed to the "decoding" method instilled by grammar-heavy courses.

It was great! It got me excited about learning Latin out of a legitimate love for the language, not just as a par
Philip
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: latina
This book is an amazing introduction to Latin, and the main method which I used to teach myself the language. I don't know if it would be appropriate in a class, but for self-study I couldn't recommend it more. You definitely need to get through the second book in the series in order to be able to move on to genuine works in classical Latin, however, Vulgate is readable after finishing this first book.
Adrián
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Italia in Europa est.
Anise
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hunc librum satis laudāre nōn possum. Prīmō linguam Latīnam grammaticā reddendā discere cōnāta sum, sed illō modō paulum didicī. "Modus naturālis" Oerbergiī mihi melior modus discendī vidētur. Nunc aliīs modīs linguīs studēre nōlō!

I cannot praise this book highly enough. My first attempts at studying Latin by the "grammar translation" method met with little success, but I learned so much more with the "natural method" that Dr. Ørberg uses in this book. Now my problem is that I don't want to stu
Paras2
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
can't say I've finished it but my basic course ended so until the next course I'm done with this.

and just so you know, Latin is mind-blowingly hard, don't even try it unless you have some deep interest or you perhaps need it.
Naomi
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wishing to learn to read Latin fluently
I took the module 'Reading Classical Latin' as part of a language degree with The Open University, where we worked through Sidwell and Jones's Reading Latin. The course was good; I enjoyed it and achieved a high 1st in that module. But I still couldn't read fluently and resorted to the unnatural way of reading that is often taught with Latin: skipping about in the text, seeing which words agree with which others.

I am just astonished by this course. After about a week I was on chapter XX and coul
Keith
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching, latin
I've read through several textbooks (Wheelock's, Ecce Romani, Cambridge) in search of an ideal source for my students, but was always somewhat disappointed until stumbling across Lingua Latina. Often Latin is treated like a burning house—you should grab what you need and get out as quickly as possible back to the safety of the English language (aka the grammar-translation method). The results are often disappointing, both for student and teacher.

Ørberg eschews the traditional method and opts fo
Gonnamakeit
An excellent introductory Latin textbook with a pure immersion approach. You learn Latin through illustrations and simple explanation in pure Latin; you will find no English in this book at all. Each chapter explains and discusses a vast array of themes related to Roman society by following a rich Roman family living just outside of Rome. You will find yourself learning some Roman customs, but you will unfortunately not learn much of Roman politics or international disputes.

If you are a complete
Dave Maddock
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language, latin
I have so much to say about how awesome this book is, but instead I will point you to my review of Wheelock and say that Lingua Latina is everything Wheelock is not. Next, I will exhort you to check out the following resources about learning Latin, from which all my opinions are derived anyway (and which is supported fully by my subjective experience):

Evan der Millner's thoughts (aka. Latinum guy)
Ernest Blum on the inadequacy of modern Latin teaching methods
Randy Gibbon's blog
Latin by the Dowlin
Iohannes Cienfuegos
Optima discendi Latinitatem methodus quā docentur discipuli simili ratione atque ipsi humanistae.
Aria Maher
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
In my lifetime, I have taken about five different Latin courses, and this is the only one that ever really stuck.

Lingua Latina per se Illustrata (The Latin Language Taught by Illustration) is an entire novel written in Latin, complete with grammar sections in Latin and sidenotes in Latin helping explain the text. While that might sound impossible (and I did find it helpful to have the background in basic Latin I'd picked up from other courses), when used in conjunction with Mr. Dwane Thomas's o
Andrew Fairweather
After slogging through about an hour of latin a day on average (at least, when possible...) I've finally finished 'Familia Romana' part one of two of Orberg's Lingua Latina course.

Since I have't had the privilege (or misfortune) of learning Latin in school, I really can't compare the Orberg method with, say, Wheelocks, at which seems to fashionable to hurl insult, whether the veracity of claims to its falling short be true or not. What I will say is this : Lingua Latina has worked, thus far. Wit
Skye
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I CANNOT RECOMMEND ORBERG ENOUGH. THIS BOOK IS A GEM.

I am so proud of myself for reading this whole book cover to cover! I am a Latin teacher and a big advocate for the Active Method, which focuses on meaningful input, conversational fluency, and a reading approach rather than a translation approach. I absolutely love this book and the method, and have had a lot of success teaching this in classes. The exercises at the end of each chapter are perfect for practicing a grammatical concept, and you
André
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to André by: Judith Meyer
Shelves: not-my-own
A great book, really! Teaches Latin *in* Latin. So there's not a single English or German or Danish word in it, but everything is either derivable via context or by short explanations (also in Latin). Often, sentences are given twice, with a new word or new construction in the second sentence. In the end of each of the 35 chapters, there's a part that describes the new grammar and also a bunch of exercises. I recommend to actually do all of them, because it trains well. Near the end of the book ...more
Donald
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sjc
I am leading/teaching a beginner Latin class using this book, and it's remarkable. We read aloud in class but do not translate into English unless there is a passage that someone has trouble with. In the first day, I had a guy with no Latin background whatsoever reading (very simple!) Latin and answering questions about it in Latin.
Meg
This is the textbook we use in my Latin class! Urg
C.D.
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: latin, summer-2010
Excellent method of learning the Latin language.
Eugenio Fouz
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read the manual on Latin. The idea of learning Latin through easy, short messages-sentences- is excellent. The sentences in the manual are reproduced lots of times. It is difficult not to learn vocabulary by reading like this. There is not a word of other language different from Latin in the whole book. There are drawings and images all through the pages. I found the lists of words provided on the margins very useful. Sometimes, I couldnt pay attention to all lines because there were too ...more
Steven
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lingua Latina: Per Se Illustrata is a good introduction to learning the Latin tongue. It offers the student a way to apprehend the language in a natural way. That is, reading from left to right, instead of grammatically "deciphering" in order to then understand the text.

The book begins at an entrance level ('Roma in Italia est'), but quickly evolves into a level suitable for reading original Latin works. The last two chapters even contain some excerpts from famous Latin poets like Catullus and H
Kg4jbj
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have recently decided to resume studying Latin after a decades-long break after studying it in college. I bought the Kindle version of this book and just started reading it a few hours ago. What’s interesting is that the content is all in Latin and easily understood for the most part, though it helps to have a dictionary handy. The not-so-great thing about the Kindle edition is that the content is scanned, so one cannot highlight excerpts. I’m not sure about annotating it, though.
Lazaro Ramos
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My number one book to recommend to anyone who wants to learn Latin. This series is also my go to when I've spent a long time away from Latin and feel like I need a good refresher. I have read and reread this book multiple times.
Chee Leong
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good starter if you're experienced with Indo-European language, but it can get pretty steep at the mid section, I'd suggest Wheelock's Latin before this.
A.A.
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot is ridiculous, but doesn't need to be Shakespeare
Payson Dunn
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ille liber latinae optimus est. Vere Hans H Orberg vir doctissimus est.

Amo verberandos Marci.
DrosoPHila
Compared to every other Latin textbook that I have seen, this is light years ahead. Unlike most of his colleagues, the author appears to have paid attention to research into second language acquisition and modern language instruction. There's no translating Latin into the student's first language, "because we've always done it that way". Instead, we learn the language in a much more pedagogically sound manner. The book does get harder quite quickly (probably rather too quickly), so students need ...more
Karina
Jun 02, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction, language
I found this at a garage sale! This book has been on my Amazon wishlist for a long time, so I found it an amazing luck. Actually, what I have is apparently a 1965 edition of this book, which doesn't seem to have ISBN. Well, it has 250 pages, and 20 chapters, so it's incomplete. I should have noticed "Pars I / Volumen I" implying that there is at least one more volume ("Pars I / Volumen II"). This is it on Amazon.

I read the first 3 chapters so far (I stopped at the exercises in Chapter 3). I like
Rick Davis
I really enjoyed the approach to Latin in Lingua Latin per se Illustrata. The idea of a "Dick, Jane, and Spot" kind of book as a way to learn Latin was fun. For those unfamiliar, Lingua Latina contains only Latin words. The glossary in the back is entirely in Latin, the footnotes are in Latin, the exercises at the ends of the chapters are in Latin. The program is based on the idea that, rather than memorizing charts and writing translations, the best way to learn Latin is by reading it and intui ...more
Robert
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came to this as a former classics major who never really liked Latin because Greek was so much cooler. I never properly learned the language, as a result. Fast-forward 20 years and I decided to master give Latin, for a variety of reasons, some therapeutic, some intellectual, but mostly so I could read Catullus in the original.

With that background in mind, this book was absolutely the best foreign-language textbook I've ever read. I'm not sure how first-time students would do with it, but for p
Brian
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Not that you can probably teach yourself Latin without assistance, but this book is simply grand with teaching! The progression from chapter to chapter is ideal and enables one to speak simple phrases very quickly, and eventually to be able to use all the basic grammar. Starting with the simple -s, -m, -t sentence, it quickly works its way up to the complexities of poetry. With a little bit of story thrown in.

The late Orberg is to be commended for doing such a good job!
  • Workbook for Wheelock's Latin
  • English Grammar for Students of Latin: The Study Guide for Those Learning Latin
  • Wheelock's Latin Reader
  • Epistles 1-65
  • Latin: An Intensive Course
  • The Poems
  • Athenaze: An Introduction to Ancient Greek Book I

Lingua Latina per se Illustrata (3 books)
  • Lingua Latina per se Illustrata: Pars II: Roma Aeterna
  • Lingua Latina: (MAC OS X) CD-Rom of Familia Romana, Roma Aeterna, Excertia Latina I & II & Grammatica Latina

Nonfiction Deals

$19.99 $2.99
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Taste of Air
    $9.99 $3.49
  • The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #4)
    $17.99 $1.99