Start by marking “Darkness Falls (Darkness Falls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkness Falls (Darkness Falls, #1)

Darkness Falls

(Darkness Falls #1)

When the disease spread through the world, people had no choice but to go into hiding. The Colony is hidden deep underground, far away from the vampires—humans that were transformed by the disease. The vampires are hideous, starving, and they will kill any human they come across.

Paperback, 1st Edition, 288 pages
Published March 16th 2012 by Jessica Sorensen (first published March 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Falls

Start your review of Darkness Falls (Darkness Falls, #1)
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

DNF at 10% or chapter 4.

The reasons? (emphasis mine)

Page 18 or 5%: “[Nina] whispers, her brown eyes wide...her brown curls bouncing around her face.”

Page 28 or 9%: “Nina plops down...a devious sparkle in her emerald eyes...Nina sweeps her honey-brown hair.”

Page 22 or 7%: “It was a momentarily slip up.”

If you can’t be f@#&ed to know what your f@#$ing characters look like and do a basic proofread, you don’t deserve me to read and finish your book. And certainly not to pay for any sub
Kirsty
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a real case of never judge a book by its cover, as yes I’m aware that cover does not scream pick me up. I quite enjoyed this book though, a lot more than what I was expecting. This is a YA paranormal fantasy novel that is set in a world where there are humans, vampire hunters, highers - who are in charge of the world and similar to vampires in many ways and feared more than vampires.
The plot was engaging, the characters interesting and I had a lot of fun reading this, which made for a q
Wine Country
I really wanted to love this book because the premise sounded great, but I honestly have no idea what the hell was happening throughout most of the book. The writing was erratic and I had a hard time following the action scenes, or pretty much anything for that matter. Even the characters were all over the place, freaking out one moment, getting along the next or suddenly kissing, fighting or trying to escape something I didn't even realize was in the scene in the first place. It left me feeling ...more
Book Whales
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally posted @ Book Whales

I love post-apocalyptic and dystopian stories and I heard many good things about this book. So I bought an Ebook copy from Amazon for 3 dollars/130 pesos. I have no idea who Jessica Sorensen is. All I know is that, how blind am I? How come I don’t know this author? This book is impressive! I couldn’t put it down. It is full of action and romance. I was completely blown away.

Rule #1—Never go out after dark.

Rule #2—Always carry a weapon.

Rule #3—No matter what, neve
Kelly Horn
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Intriguing enough story...but not without pitfalls.

**POTENTIAL PLOT SPOILERS**

#1: Get an editor. The amount of punctuation, spelling and incorrect word choice (passed vs. past for example) are just unreal for a book and it is distracting.

#2: Character development. Other than the main character, Kayla, there is very little character development. They speak of Dominic, who we are supposed to dislike. We only meet him once and everything else we're supposed to hold against him is hearsay.

#3: Plot
Pretty - Nifty
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A very good read. If you liked any of the other books written by Jessica Sorensen(which I LOVED), then you will be pleased with Darkness Falls, also. It is a vampire story, but not like some of the stories these days. The vamps were actually human, before the horrid virus hit, then turned people into flesh eating, blood spewing monsters. The ones that were not hit with this virus are being "protected" in a secured city by the Highers, whom are not very nice and get rid of anyone they do not like ...more
Jamie Canosa
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have previously read Jessica Sorensen's Fallen Star series and enjoyed it so I decided to give her latest work a try. Boy, am I glad I did!!! Darkness Falls is fantastic, eclipsing even the Fallen Star books. It's the kind of story that makes you scratch your head and keeps you going for 'just one more page' trying to figure out what the heck is going on, but at the same time it gives you answers quickly enough that you won't be missing hair by the end. And finally, FINALLY, we have a story wh ...more
Natasha
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Darkness Falls by Jessica Sorensen is another well thought out, very entertaining Dystopia themed book. Jessica Sorensen, shows readers once again just how talented she is when it comes to writing, with the first book from her new book series by the same name 'Darkness Falls'. I completely enjoyed reading Darkness Falls, because it had a strong storyline and strong, believable book characters.

Jessica takes on the vampire book genre, in this series Darkness falls and truly makes her book stand o
Juliebells ♫
The concept is pretty basic: A vampire outbreak killed modern civilization, and now there's only The Colony (Which Must Be Capitalized). Kayla is a Bellator for The Colony, meaning: She goes out and scavenges whatever is needed.
Of course the Colony's leaders are oppressive, dictatorial, people die for no reason, yadda-yadda. The usual. And when Kayla gets thrown out of the Colony (During The Capitalized Gathering), she takes on the task of saving mankind.

So, yes, Sorensen didn't reinvent the whe
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books
Jessica Sorensen has done it yet again, she has blown me away with yet another series!

I really love Jessica's Fallen Star Series, and while waiting for that next book, I read this one, and loved it. I think this book is totally unique, has a different spin on the usual vampire books. I was pleasantly surprised, which i should not have been, as i love Jessica's writing.

DARKNESS FALLS:
Tammy K.

I give this book three stars and I feel that I am being generous doing so.

What I liked about the book. It has good action combat scenes. It starts off with a steady pace and keeps at that same pace. I liked the book cover. I liked the storyline (just not the execution of it).

What did not work for me about the book:

The characters, especially our protagonist, fall flat. Kayla falls into the Y. A. stereotypical 'heroine' who needs a man (teenage boy) to tell her what to do/think/feel. This has beco
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
Could have been a really great young adult dystopian novel... if only the main characters didn't lie so much.

Darkness falls is all about a girl who's living in a world where vampires are amass. The world has been in chaos that people were forced to live in a "colony" where freedom is unlikely. Their setting is good. The author knew her thing. Reading this is like watching a movie unfold.

What I love about the main character, Kayla, is her fighting abilities. I still don't know what she is exactl
Danielle Book Boss
So, this book was a mess and it gets two stars because it wasn't a hot mess. There is a lot of potential here but it is very much unrealized. I will not continue this series.

The Good:

This is dystopian which is fun to read and see how an author envisions an effed up future. So in this case, our author has created a future where vampires are like zombies - rotting corpses that thirst for blood.

The Bad:

Nothing really happened in this book. It was completely and utterly world-building. I'm left wit
Esmeralda
Mar 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: giving-up, vampires
Urg, didn't finish.The expectations of this book was high I mean the summary sounds awesome. However, I was disappointed I expected blood vampires, blood, fights,action. I did not get that. Instead I got a annoying Main Character with mood swings and blacks outs.She didn't remember her past and didn't know what she is. The people kept pricking her with needles for random reasons, during which she saw randoness. I thought she was going to fight vampires but the vampires kept running away from her ...more
Angie
I was quite excited to finally read Darkness Falls. I love vampires and I love dystopias, so it sounded right up my alley. Sadly, I was let down. While the premise was great, the world building was lacking. A virus has swept through society in the near future (2031) and turned part of the population in vampires. The humans now live underground in a place known as The Colony, which is run by a group of people called Highers. There are also warriors, like Kayla, who...I'm actually not sure what th ...more
Erika
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Title: Darkness Falls
Author: Jessica Sorensen
Number of Pages: 281
Date of Release: March 16th, 2012
Summary From Goodreads:

Seventeen-year-old Kayla is a Bellator, a warrior that protects The Colony. In order to survive,
Stephanie Moakes
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jessica has completely changed the word vampire by portraying them as not the beautiful, mysterious creatures that we have come to know but by making them ugly, scary and the monsters that they were originally made to be, this book is a refreshing break from today’s stereotype.

I fell into Kayla’s world easily and after the first few chapters it was easy to grasp the backstory and understand just what Kayla’s world was about. This book shows an apocalyptic future filled with vampires that were cr
brigcs
Dec 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one really didn't work for me. I had high expectations because of the summary (which sounded pretty promising) and the author (I guess I won't believe in the 'NYT/USA Today bestseller author' titles anymore) but reality didn't meet them.
I thought I'll have a cool dystopian fantasy here, including a badass heroine and a well-built post-apocalypse world. I anticipated a dynamic, exciting story. But all I've got was a poorly written, frustrating mess. It's a mess from the very beginning. The p
Tanya
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Set in a dystopian world, vampires have taken over and the few remaining humans are in hiding in the Colony, presided over my mysterious figures called The Highers. Kayla is a bellator, one of the humans whose job it is to go out into the world to retrieve things the colony needs.

A promising premise, but to me, something fell flat in the execution. I didn't hate the book, but I'm not rushing out to get the sequel either.

In the beginning I found it hard to get into the book, too many gaps and thi
Kahlan Ng
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was not as good as I expected it to be. It was convoluted and the main character was such a complainer. I got so tired of Aiden's "honey" eyes (seriously, every time she mentioned his eyes she had to use "honey" with it. I got it already, give it a rest).

I love how every guy just seems to make her melt, except for the dude that actually liked her back and seemed like a nice guy in the Colony. She couldn't stand him - she only likes bad boys that have been kicked out of the Colony.

It wa
Heather
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Darkness falls is dystopian books about a world where vampires have taken over and alternative colony of people are run by Highers, who have ultimate control over all aspects of the colony.

Kayla is a seventeen year old who runs into the city and collects things needed to keep the colony going. Kayla learns early on that you do not challenge the authority of the Highers. Soon she is struggling to discover what it the truth and what is a lie...

...and the fate of the entire world rests in her hand
Kirsti
May 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I assume this was free or cheap since it's on my kindle, thank God. It wasn't completely horrible, but it was still pretty bad. Firstly, you learn almost nothing about this world or Juniper/ Kayla, just annoying snippets. There are so many varieties of vampires or whatever here. I don't get any of them and I don't want to after this book.

The characters, especially the males, are vapid, lying dicks (wow, did I really use that word in a review? I try to keep it clean, oh well!) Seriously, Kayla or
Cora Crotteau
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really did love it
Delphina
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was a Jessica Sorensen fan from her Falling Star series, so when I found out she was releasing a new series, it immediately went in my "Have To Read" pile. The premise of this book is completely different from The Falling Star, so I was not really sure what to expect. I was blown away by this story. Yes, in some ways you have the typical, it is the future and the world is a mess stuff, but add to that vampires, humans, day walkers, and highers and you have something that can only be described ...more
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου

This book has been given to me by the author to review it.

It’s good to see that there are some unique books out there! “Darkness Falls” by Jessica Sorensen is the first book in the Darkness Falls series and I have to say that I enjoy it very much! What I found unique in this book is that the story is both dystopian and about vampires. I love a good dystopian story and if it has some vampires also, even better! So, this book takes 4.5 stars because I enjoy it and not because it has been
Roxanne Crouse
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Darkness Falls by Jessica Sorenson is a vampire fantasy novel about Kayla, a teen growing up in a world over ran by vampires. She is a bellator, a warrior allowed to go outside the confines of The Colony to search for supplies among the ruins. Her world turns upside down when she is selected for The Gathering. No one selected for The Gathering ever returns. Instead of dying, she wakes up and runs into a group outside The Colony who insist they were once part of The Gathering. These people know h ...more
TATIANA
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
This book was a tangled mess. Like walking through a maze without finding the way out. I spent the whole time trying to figure out what Kayla was, what Monarch did, what everyone on the outside wanted with Kayla and every time there would be more and more information to process. You have the Highers, the vampires, the Bellators, the other people in the Colony, then there's the Gathering( which I still have no idea what it is. Just a way to dispose of people? why?) then you meet new people on the ...more
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Darkness Falls was given to me by the autor Jessica Sorensen for review.I really enjoyed reading Darkness Falls it was a great read. I love reading anything about vampires, post-apocalyptic and the paranormal. Darkness Falls is about a seventeen year old girl Kayla who is a Bellator, a warrior that helps protect The Colony. The Colony is a place deep under the ground where all the survivors of the disease live. They can't go outside because of the vampires, humans that were transformed because o ...more
Marsha
May 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Young Adults
"Darkness Falls" is a unique tale about a dystopian society that is ruled by the 'Highers." Everday, Kayla (Juniper) receives injections by Dr. Monarch. She is told that without, them she will die. What she does not know is that she is a part of an experiment to make the most dangerous soldier.

When Kayla gets on the radar of one of the Highers, Gabriel, she is sent for the Gathering. No one seems to know or remember what happens in the Gathering but when Kayla awakens she is in a body bag on th

• Daughter of Time (After Cilmeri, #0.5)
  • Mask Of The Overlord
  • Flight and Fantasy
  • Bride of Fire
  • Micro Lena
  • Asylum Mine
  • The Rapunzel Factor
  • Washed Up (Sci Fi Fairy Tales #5)
  • Silver And Silence
  • Escaping Lightning
  • Red Run
  • A Mermaid's Wish
  • Feather's Blossom
Jessica Sorensen is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author from the snowy mountains of Wyoming. When she's not writing, she spends her time reading and hanging out with her family.

Darkness Falls (3 books)
  • Darkness Breaks (Darkness Falls, #2)
  • Darkness Fades (Darkness Falls, #3)