Start by marking “Making Space: Creating a Home Meditation Practice” as Want to Read:
Making Space: Creating a Home Meditation Practice

Making Space: Creating a Home Meditation Practice

Find peace and calm amid the busyness of your life with this new book by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. Designed to be both inspiration and guidebook for those new to mindfulness practice, Making Space offers easy-to-follow instructions for setting up a breathing room, listening to a bell, sitting, breathing, and walking meditations, and cooking and eating a meal in mindfulness. W ...more
Published November 29th 2011 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Making Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Space

Nikki
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this tiny book is a real treasure! I'm always enamored with Nhat Hanh's books, but this one is really exceptional! It gets right into the best ways to create and maintain a home meditation spot and practice. It's filled with beautiful mantras and insight. It's just the book I needed as I set up a meditation spot in my new home. I will be returning to this book many times. It's a quick read, but it runs very deep. Strongly recommended for anyone interested in meditation and mindful living!
Sian Lile-Pastore
This is such a sweet little (very little!) book about setting up space at home for meditation. I loved all of it! Also liked the bit where you pretend you have cake in the fridge and then if you're arguing with someone you say 'I've just remembered there's cake in the fridge' - even if there isn't. And then you breath, and make tea and have a little treat. And hopefully peace is restored.
Thanks for buying this for me Bert!!
Huma Rashid
This wasn't as great as his others, but it was still good. My favorite part was the Five Contemplations. Also, why the fuck is there a white, blonde woman on the cover?
Lizz
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve been more interested in learning about mindfulness and meditation for the past year or so. This tiny book lays out mindfulness and creating a mindfulness space well. I can’t wait to add to my own mindfulness practice.

This book was an easy, quick read and easy to understand.
John Owen
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very short book about setting up a place to meditate but it also talks about meditation and mindfulness in general. If you meditate or are thinking about it, this is worth reading.
Eric S
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting short book with some ideas worth considering. Mostly this work describes creating peace in the home, and teaches a few kinds of meditation - Zen (sitting/breathing), Metta (lovingkindness) and body scan (in terms of relaxation and comfort before sleep). Views home as a peaceful sanctuary, and develops this theme in a few main rooms of the house - how to cook and eat with mindfulness in the dining room and kitchen, etc.

I think one can benefit from these ideas/practices eve
Christopher
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing and profound little book. This book is very small and only about 100 pages, but it has meaning and information in every word.

Thick Nhat Hanh goes through various aspects of your life (eating, sleeping, sitting) and provides useful ways to bring mindfulness a part of daily practice. His wisdom is thought provoking and the book has a lot of great practices that you can incorporate even for those who are not Buddhist themselves.

I will say the book is very short, and oft
Sonnische
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very accessible presentation of mindfulness meditation by one of the most revered Buddhist teachers of our time, Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh. His simple instructions for Metta, or loving kindness, meditation can take any willing student into the practice immediately. I have recommended it to clients and given copies as gifts. The brevity and clarity of this book make it very appropriate for any beginning seeker of the contemplative way. And yet it carries deep teachings nourishing for any travele ...more
Nancy
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick read at 85 pages that covers the basics of creating a meditation space for yourself. Chapers include: stopping, breathing, sitting, a breathing room, inviting the bell, the cake in the refrigerator, making an altar, metta meditation, cooking and eating, and sleeping.

Thich Nhat Hahn is a Zen Buddhist monk and not all elements he covers are ones that I include in my Vipassana practice - but the principles are the same and I found this book a really good read to start off 2015.<
Christopher
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in Zen, religion, and finding peace and balance in life.
All the religions of the world have something to offer us. Long a student of Christianity, in 2018 I began investigating some of the teachings of Zen Buddhism. Nhat Hanh is a leader in these teachings, especially making the practices of meditation accessible for non-Buddhists and Westerners. Making Space is a succinct little book that offers practical tips for introducing a home meditation practice. Our busy Western lives need so much more of this! We need to learn to be at peace in our homes, w ...more
Una
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Vietnamese Buddhist monk wrote a simple and short read for those interested in starting with meditation.

Keep in mind that this is not a detailed guide on exactly how to meditate, but more a summary of Hanh's advice how to be mindful in all aspects of your life.

The audio book has been given the smooth and calming voice of Edoardo Ballerini, and I would definitively recommend listening the book vs reading it.
spac.e.scape
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
A very short 20-min read on ways to connect with the breath and create a simple, dedicated space for a breathing practice. Didn't learn much more than what I already know from yoga class, but some of the perspectives on meditation spaces in family homes to discourage fighting and help individuals calm down were interesting.
Jesse Bray
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most accessible book on meditation I've ever read. Simple and down to earth. Really a must read in my opinion. One of the most memorable passages about mindfulness is when the author refers to doing sacred tasks such as cleaning the dishes as if you're washing a baby. Such a precious way to look at life.
Adzuki
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A superb gem packed with straightforward but very helpful how to information - so much in such big meaning in a a little book by Zen Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh. Highly recommended for anyone frazzled or unsure about how to start looking within, introduction to mental self care and and nourishment.
Lauren
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
For all I’m normally a fan of books containing concise wisdom and a minimal time commitment, I wanted more from Making Space. I finished it and went “nice introduction – now what?” I’d recommend his How To series instead. Having said that, Making Space could make for a good companion guide to a de-cluttering book. Quasi-recommended.
Bradley
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The size of the book belies its value and not its simplicity. Wonderful.

How to cultivate space.

I for one might hang on to this. My intention was to read it and fling it at the library, but it's so short, simple and quite the breath of refreshing air. Even the illustrations are relaxing. Almost as if they were water paintings straight from a Buddha board. :)
Kym
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This teeny little "pocket" book is a great place to start if you're looking to set up a home meditation practice. Simple. Clear. Basic. A nice "reminder" for those already familiar with meditation -- but a real boost for those just starting out on a meditation journey.
Jake
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply Moving

If you have read anything by Thich Nhat Hanh then this piece will be familiar yet brand new. His soft words and poetic lines take the ancient wisdom of Buddha and make it practical, grounding it and bringing it home. I use this as a reference everyday.
Deirdre
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This lovely little book is a jewel. Whether you are a beginning meditator or a seasoned practitioner you will find this beautiful little book useful and enlightening.
',
Renata Shura
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a must own book meant to be read many times over. So far I have read it 2 1/2 times already and it is slowly sinking in and I am hoping that I can make these changes permanent.
Cherie
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of this repeats some of his other books….but still lovely.
Robert
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Challenging and excellent.
Ahpak Chi-san
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short and practical guide. It reminds that we don't need elaborated settings to start our meditation practice. We simply need to just start.
Kathy
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting book. I found chapters 2 (Breathing), 3 (Sitting), and 10 (Sleeping) the most useful. The other chapters were a bit too much for me.
She
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Very small book that is a quick read and well worth reading. Some great tips for creating a peaceful environment in your home. I liked this book!
Amberwench
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short and simple ways to bring mindfulness to everyday life. An excellent reminder that simple is easy, if we stop making it complicated.
David
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple, concise, insightful: this is a very handy short book to guide you to establishing a home meditation practice.
Diane
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need to reread regularly.
Greg Soden
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, single-sitting practical text on what to "do" when meditating. This is a lovely intro text.
Lily Jamaludin
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simple and powerful.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Birdsong: Fifty-Three Short Poems
  • Buddha in Your Backpack: Everyday Buddhism for Teens
  • Red Hot and Holy: A Heretic's Love Story
  • The Zen Teaching of Huang Po: On the Transmission of Mind
  • DIY Magic: A Strange and Whimsical Guide to Creativity
  • When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair: 50 Ways to Feel Thin, Gorgeous, and Happy {When You Feel Anything But}
  • Dewdrops on a Lotus Leaf: Zen Poems of Ryokan
  • DBT Made Simple: A Step-by-Step Guide to Dialectical Behavior Therapy
  • The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion
  • Living Wabi Sabi: The True Beauty of Your Life
Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lives in southwest France where he was in exile for many years. Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary family n ...more
“The key to creating a home meditation practice is to create a space where the busyness stops.” 1 likes
“It is only when we stop that we can encounter life.” 1 likes