Start by marking “Making Space: Creating a Home Meditation Practice” as Want to Read:
Making Space: Creating a Home Meditation Practice

Making Space: Creating a Home Meditation Practice

Find peace and calm amid the busyness of your life with this new book by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. Designed to be both inspiration and guidebook for those new to mindfulness practice, Making Space offers easy-to-follow instructions for setting up a breathing room, listening to a bell, sitting, breathing, and walking meditations, and cooking and eating a meal in mindfulne ...more
Published November 29th 2011 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Making Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Space

Start your review of Making Space: Creating a Home Meditation Practice
Nikki
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this tiny book is a real treasure! I'm always enamored with Nhat Hanh's books, but this one is really exceptional! It gets right into the best ways to create and maintain a home meditation spot and practice. It's filled with beautiful mantras and insight. It's just the book I needed as I set up a meditation spot in my new home. I will be returning to this book many times. It's a quick read, but it runs very deep. Strongly recommended for anyone interested in meditation and mindful living! ...more
Sian Lile-Pastore
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet little (very little!) book about setting up space at home for meditation. I loved all of it! Also liked the bit where you pretend you have cake in the fridge and then if you're arguing with someone you say 'I've just remembered there's cake in the fridge' - even if there isn't. And then you breath, and make tea and have a little treat. And hopefully peace is restored.
Thanks for buying this for me Bert!!
Huma Rashid
This wasn't as great as his others, but it was still good. My favorite part was the Five Contemplations. Also, why the fuck is there a white, blonde woman on the cover? ...more
Lizz
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve been more interested in learning about mindfulness and meditation for the past year or so. This tiny book lays out mindfulness and creating a mindfulness space well. I can’t wait to add to my own mindfulness practice.

This book was an easy, quick read and easy to understand.
Grace
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great little book and very practical. If you're interested in "everyday Buddhism" it will be useful. But maybe not for everyone. ...more
John Owen
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very short book about setting up a place to meditate but it also talks about meditation and mindfulness in general. If you meditate or are thinking about it, this is worth reading.
Erin
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good, quick suggestions to revisit over and over. How can you bring mindfulness into your daily life? Here's a way! ...more
Christopher
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing and profound little book. This book is very small and only about 100 pages, but it has meaning and information in every word.

Thick Nhat Hanh goes through various aspects of your life (eating, sleeping, sitting) and provides useful ways to bring mindfulness a part of daily practice. His wisdom is thought provoking and the book has a lot of great practices that you can incorporate even for those who are not Buddhist themselves.

I will say the book is very short, and often led me wa
Sonnische
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very accessible presentation of mindfulness meditation by one of the most revered Buddhist teachers of our time, Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh. His simple instructions for Metta, or loving kindness, meditation can take any willing student into the practice immediately. I have recommended it to clients and given copies as gifts. The brevity and clarity of this book make it very appropriate for any beginning seeker of the contemplative way. And yet it carries deep teachings nourishing for any travele ...more
Nancy
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick read at 85 pages that covers the basics of creating a meditation space for yourself. Chapers include: stopping, breathing, sitting, a breathing room, inviting the bell, the cake in the refrigerator, making an altar, metta meditation, cooking and eating, and sleeping.

Thich Nhat Hahn is a Zen Buddhist monk and not all elements he covers are ones that I include in my Vipassana practice - but the principles are the same and I found this book a really good read to start off 2015.
Christopher
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in Zen, religion, and finding peace and balance in life.
All the religions of the world have something to offer us. Long a student of Christianity, in 2018 I began investigating some of the teachings of Zen Buddhism. Nhat Hanh is a leader in these teachings, especially making the practices of meditation accessible for non-Buddhists and Westerners. Making Space is a succinct little book that offers practical tips for introducing a home meditation practice. Our busy Western lives need so much more of this! We need to learn to be at peace in our homes, w ...more
Metta
"The intention of sacred space is to make room so we can return to ourselves and touch something deep within ourselves.

We are so used to running around, even at home, that stopping is a hard habit to develop.

Breathing in, I calm my body.
Breathing out, I smile.

Your breathing room is a sacred space.

How much we enjoy being in a certain place very much depends on the energy that is generated within it.

The profane is the sacred.
Everyday mind is enlightened mind.

You have nowhere to go, nothing to do.
Una
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Vietnamese Buddhist monk wrote a simple and short read for those interested in starting with meditation.

Keep in mind that this is not a detailed guide on exactly how to meditate, but more a summary of Hanh's advice how to be mindful in all aspects of your life.

The audio book has been given the smooth and calming voice of Edoardo Ballerini, and I would definitively recommend listening the book vs reading it.
Dieu
Like all of his other books, this one is also extremely (but especially) short and written in a calm tone. I appreciated the information provided to establish areas of mindfulness throughout the home (in the kitchen, in a separate room etc) through the usage of bells, alter (with anything to remind us to be mindful), and occasional silent meals with the family. The book is simple and uncomplicated. It expands a bit on how a meditation room would work and what you would need. For some reason I wi ...more
Adzuki
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A superb gem packed with straightforward but very helpful how to information - so much in such big meaning in a a little book by Zen Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh. Highly recommended for anyone frazzled or unsure about how to start looking within, introduction to mental self care and and nourishment.
Lauren
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
For all I’m normally a fan of books containing concise wisdom and a minimal time commitment, I wanted more from Making Space. I finished it and went “nice introduction – now what?” I’d recommend his How To series instead. Having said that, Making Space could make for a good companion guide to a de-cluttering book. Quasi-recommended.
Jesse Bray
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most accessible book on meditation I've ever read. Simple and down to earth. Really a must read in my opinion. One of the most memorable passages about mindfulness is when the author refers to doing sacred tasks such as cleaning the dishes as if you're washing a baby. Such a precious way to look at life. ...more
Bradley
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The size of the book belies its value and not its simplicity. Wonderful.

How to cultivate space.

I for one might hang on to this. My intention was to read it and fling it at the library, but it's so short, simple and quite the breath of refreshing air. Even the illustrations are relaxing. Almost as if they were water paintings straight from a Buddha board. :)
Reese Costis
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
I think I'm starting to see a trend with these books with a lofty philosophical slant: I'm just not about it. Reading other reviews emphasizing the meaning in every word of this book has me scratching my head. I picked up this book because it was recommended for people starting a meditation practice, but most of it I find unnecessary and repetitive. Maybe it's just me. ...more
Moritz
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Very relaxing writing style. Also I quite liked the chapter about eating. The rest however, was not very interesting to me. I hoped for a very down to earth practical book like "A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind" but got disappointed.

TLDR: Better read "A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind"
Alexander
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sweet and gentle little book, took all of 25 minutes to read but has some good reminders about how to make your home environment more conducive to meditation and mindfulness.

My only gripe with the wonderful, wonderful work of Thich Nhat Hanh is that most of the author’s books, of which there are MANY, seem like very slight variations on the others.
Mandy
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
E-book. I went back to see what was on my early TBR list and this was one of the books. It’s a short one, only 70 pages or so. I only read 50 or so and then skimmed it. If a person is interested in learning about meditation rooms, breathing rooms, or Buddha type practices and is a novice this is a good read. Very, very basic.
Kym
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This teeny little "pocket" book is a great place to start if you're looking to set up a home meditation practice. Simple. Clear. Basic. A nice "reminder" for those already familiar with meditation -- but a real boost for those just starting out on a meditation journey. ...more
Jake
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply Moving

If you have read anything by Thich Nhat Hanh then this piece will be familiar yet brand new. His soft words and poetic lines take the ancient wisdom of Buddha and make it practical, grounding it and bringing it home. I use this as a reference everyday.
Amanda
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick Read

While I normally enjoy Thich Nhat Hanh’s writing, this book was quite superficial. There are some nice prayers and quick tips for those beginning a practice, but I would have enjoyed something deeper.
Julie
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short and easy read

This short book was a primer on how to begin meditation at home, with information primarily for beginners. This is a very easy read, and would be accessible for young teens as well as adults.
Scott Franciscus
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concise little book on practicing mindfulness. Not in depth, but just enough to start learning how to become mindful of the present. Provides good ideas on creating space in one’s home to begin mindful practices and “sacred” places.

Easy read.
Sreekanth
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guidance to Meditation in simple words

Must read for a beginner. Easy to understand, without any overwhelming or spiritual jargon. Doesn't sounds as preaching even a bit. Helps to have a new outlook towards life.
Cherie
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of this repeats some of his other books….but still lovely.
Lily Jamaludin

• The Five Levels of Attachment: Toltec Wisdom for the Modern World
  • Inward
  • The Essence of the Heart Sutra: The Dalai Lama's Heart of Wisdom Teachings
  • This is Your Brain on Anxiety; What Happens and What Helps
  • Walk Like a Buddha: Even if Your Boss Sucks, Your Ex Is Torturing You, and You're Hungover Again
  • The Burnout Generation
  • Meditations to Change Your Brain: Rewire Your Neural Pathways to Transform Your Life
  • A Sacred Life - autobiography of HH Dalai Lama
  • How to Die:  An Ancient Guide to the End of Life
  • Liminal Thinking
  • How Not to Kill Yourself: A Survival Guide for Imaginative Pessimists
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • Happy Is the New Healthy: 31 Ways to Relax, Let Go, and Enjoy Life NOW!

News & Interviews

“The key to creating a home meditation practice is to create a space where the busyness stops.” 1 likes
“Our appointment with life is in the present moment.” 1 likes