Start by marking “Tanglewood Plantation” as Want to Read:
Tanglewood Plantation

Tanglewood Plantation

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  747 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Chicagoan, Summer Woodfield, is in for the surprise of her life when she inherits the family estate, an antebellum rice plantation in Georgia. Not only is the old plantation in ruin, but comes complete with a cast of characters--characters long dead. The discovery of antiquated love letters stored inside a trunk in the attic sparks uncontrollable curiosity, and especially ...more
Published (first published July 22nd 2011)

Belle
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really do not understand the critical reviews of this book. I am an avid reader and I adore books from this time period. I was captivated and enthralled from the first page on. I couldn't put this book down. What an awesome story.....!
Wanda
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful storyline about the life of slaves in a southern plantation during the civil war and through the concept of time travel, steps out of the 21st century life to the 1860's. I found the brutality of the slaves to be very heart wrenching at times --- so pitiful. The slaves speaking in the vernacular was absolutely necessary and added to the authenticity of the era.

I had doubts about this book in the beginning because of the time travel, but what an excellent way to convey Summer Woodfie
Gigi Williams
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
As I am still introducing myself to 19th century novels, I am convinced this story will stay in my heart forever. there are pros and cons to Tanglewood Plantation, as in every good story. I personally did not care for "Summer's" character much as she was in this century. But when she was Evaline, she WAS Evaline! I was most interested in Evaline and Robert's love story, but thought it was much too brief for the plot. But over all, it was a fascinating idea to have Summer learn of her ancestry an ...more
Jaya
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and am surprised at many of the negative reviews. I thought Miller did an excellent job of taking the reader back to the final period of the Civil War and offered great insight into the daily struggles of slaves, as well as the brutality of many soldiers during emancipation.
Belladora Ahumada
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It offered insight into the life of slaves. I know I can never look at a historical with stairways for servants ever the same. I also enjoyed the images of the soldiers in the Civil War. The way it was written leaves you with scents, imagery, and so much more. I will buy the sequel.
Heather
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot. The premise of traveling between the Civil War and the 21st Century to get more than one perspective on was intriguing. It definitely makes you think! The ending definitely opens itself to a sequel, and Summer would likely "travel" back to help Cherry since she has no idea what happened to her.
Melodie
Tanglewood Plantation is the story of a young woman from Chicago that inherits her family's Georgia plantation. Expecting to be a wealthy landowner, she hightails it down south. What she finds is in stark contrast to her expectations.
The plantation is run down,to put it kindly. Grounds overgrown, the house in severe disrepair,it reeks of sadness and loss.For Summer Woodfield, this is not going to work. To make things worse,she is expected to stay put for a year before the inheritance is final!
Toshia
Aug 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
The summary made it sound as if the author was familiar with Octavia Butler's Kindred. I was hoping for a well written story about the about time travel to the antebellum south, so far I'm unimpressed.

The writing is mediocre and the narration sounds naive. The book packed with clichés about relations between whites and blacks like the “angry black woman” who “blames” the main character for the slaveholding of her ancestors. After about 10 pages I had to check the Amazon author page to confirm w
Jessica Gearrin
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I loved how you were able to view the lives of slaves and what their life would have been like. The author did an amazing job in my mind of making you feel the emotions of love pain and triumph in this book!!!!
Sandi
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Could not put this book down. Interesting story line that held my attention the entire book.
Karen • The Book Return
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you can get past the first 30 pages or so it gets much better. At first the writing is a little rough improves. In all well worth reading. Glad I didn't stop at the beginning.
Debbi
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
First in a trilogy about a rice plantation in Georgia. The main character, Summer, starts seeing ghosts almost immediately upon her arrival to claim the plantation as her inheritance. Before you know it she's time-traveled back to the plantation as it was at the very beginning of the Civil War and she's now a slave! It held my interest but I am curious to see if the next 2 books can do the same.
Tricia Maloney
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read, but a bit far-fetched. Enjoyed it nonetheless.
Jacqueline Stockbridge
Good read

I enjoyed this book very much.
The dual roles are pretty remarkable.
Can't wait to read on in this series.
Karen Hogan
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Kindle book. Time travel. A young woman from Chicago inherits a run down antebellum mansion from a relative she barely knows. The book took a little time to get into, but once the protagonist travels back to the era of the Civil War, it picks up speed and interest. I sometimes found the writing a little sophomoric and the ending seemed a bit forced and too quick. But, it still was fascinating to watch this young woman from the 21st century discover her roots, up close and personal.
Cheryll
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very easy read - just too short!
iamjenai
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Summer Woodfield left her job in the city right after receiving the news of her inheritance, the Tanglewood Plantation, from her Aunt Ada. From the old photos she saw back when her father was still alive, it was a very beautiful plantation. However, Summer's dreams fall apart when she sees the town of Bluebell and the plantation. She expects the plantation to be old but not that old, the plantation is now one big dilapidated house and surely, it needs to be renovated but she doesn't have the mon ...more
Patsy
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Summer Woodfield was notified that she had inherited Tanglewood Plantation after her Aunt Ada had passed away. This is a time-travel back and forth from 1860 to the 21st century. Summer left her job in Chicago to see her beautiful plantation house, she was so excited but upon her arrival her hopes dropped. The large, once beautiful house was delapitated and almost in ruins, in bad need of repairs, as she walked through the house chills went through her.

This novel kept me interested, I love the C
Jeri
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A young woman, Summer, receives word of her inheritance from her Aunt...she thought she was inheriting a beautiful plantation, Tanglewood, but what a disappointment it was in reality! Then strange things start happening...ghosts of the house perhaps? But she needs to stay at the plantation for one year to fully inherit everything from her Aunt so she has to stay.
Suddenly she is transported back and becomes Evaline, who is the daughter of her ancestor and a slave named Jamaica. It's an interestin
L
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it

I really loved the plot of this story, however I was somewhat disappointed in it's telling. It was such an original idea and yet it could have been so much more. I found the skill of the author to be very inexperienced and strewn with many common clichés... It seemed to have been written for a very young audience perhaps. The story was also quite unrealistic and whitewashed as well...atrocities were merely suggested or recalled and Evaline got away with what no slave ever would have without bei
Polly Topolinsky
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
The author take you back in time by the current day character’s dreams (or time travel) which is far fetched but an interesting way to tie the linage of the family together.

If you can get past the time travel the story shows history that may have not been considered (i.e.: the North fought to free slaves only to rape, pillage and starve people from the south during the war. Going from plantation to plantation taking what they needed to survive and having Southerners (white or black) wait on the
Luzy Tribble
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

Historical fiction stories of the Civil War and the South are my very favorite read. I knew I would like this book from the synopsis but I did not realize I would have a hard time putting it down. Now that I've read the first book in the trilogy I can't wait to read the next book! The characters are wonderful and Mrs Miller does a great job in making g you either hate them or fall in love with them. I will definitely be looking for more books by this author!
Emily
Nov 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was in search of a new book after finishing The Woman in White. I had not heard of the author nor the book but the premise sounded interesting so I thought I would give it a try. I got about 30% and officially quit. (Those of you who know me know that is a big deal!) The writing was terrible - I hated it. She used the word "catawumpus" way too many times and it always was in reference to the shutters. Get a thesaurus!! Besides that, the book was getting dirty. Terrible writing + mediocre plot ...more
Maya B
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, historical
This turned out to be a great read. At first I did not know if I was going to like because the main character Summer was so shallow in the beginning. I love how the author used time travel as a way to bring out the historical parts in the book. It felt like I was watching a movie as I was reading and I could not put it down. This is my first book by this author and I will definitely check out her other books. one of the best historical fiction books I have read so far this year.
Abbie
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seamlessly tragic and jubilant in one breath

Jocelyn Miller writes with her heart on her sleeve in this epic tale. I was transported across the miles and the fabric of time to the old south in the fight of one plantation to survive the war of northern aggression, and the struggle for one woman to claim her Inheritance. Step into the embrace of Tanglewood Plantation. You'll be glad you visited.
Tosha
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Good Clean time travel book. 21st century Chicago girl inherits at 1800's Georgia Plantation. Once she arrives to claim her inheritance, the time travel begins, and she finds out about her ancestors in first person.
Amie Powell
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
At first I wasn't sure about this book. I wasn't into it but then it picked up once Summer continued to time travel back and forth. The ending was good but left me wanting more closure. I'm hoping the author writes another book about Cherry!
Carol
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good plot, going back and forth in time. But the writing could have been better. It kept my interest, wanting to find out what happens next. The ending was left open to the possibility of a second book.
Sherry Bledsoe
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Time travel

What a different type of book! I thought it was just going to be another book about spooky ghosts and a dilapidated old mansion in the south. So far, its been a real page turner for me and I can't wait to read book 2.
Maggie Vogt
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great plot with time travel of a white girl who finds herself embodying a black slave ancestor
  • The Women of Magnolia
  • The Plantation (The Plantation Series Book 1)
  • What Was Ellis Island?
  • The Slaves Have Names: Ancestors of My Home
  • What Was the Underground Railroad?
  • Evermore: A Saga of Slavery and Deliverance (The Plantation Series Book 3)
  • Isle Royale
  • The Red Cotton Fields
  • Page From A Tennessee Journal
  • She Had No Choice
  • Blackbird
  • What Was the Boston Tea Party?
  • Unbridled
  • More Precious Than Gold
  • Who Was Clara Barton?
  • The American Slave Coast: A History of the Slave-Breeding Industry
  • Veil of Pearls
  • Tales Behind the Tombstones: The Deaths and Burials of the Old West's Most Nefarious Outlaws, Notorious Women, and Celebrated Lawmen

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things