Start by marking “The Little White Horse” as Want to Read:
The Little White Horse

The Little White Horse

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  9,298 Ratings  ·  790 Reviews
The valley of Moonacre is shadowed by the memory of the Moon Princess and the strange little white horse. When Maria comes there on a visit she finds herself involved in an ancient feud. She is determined to restore peace and happiness to the valley.
Paperback
Published 1992 by Yearling (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Little White Horse, please sign up.

Lucy March Let me guess, you're still sore that "To kill a mockingbird" didn't have a word about killing mocking birds in it? LOL.

Just messing with you.

Well…more

Just messing with you.

Well there is a horse (a unicorn) IN the book, but it's ABOUT a girl named Maria moving into a her cousin's magical mansion. It has a great significance to the story, though, so it's a fitting title. (less)
Cassandra A girl finding her ancestral home, really cool sentient animals, MARMADUKE SCARLET (the cook, he's great, also the food descriptions are amazing),…moreA girl finding her ancestral home, really cool sentient animals, MARMADUKE SCARLET (the cook, he's great, also the food descriptions are amazing), general villiany, a touch of magic, and sexism :/ but it's a great book.(less)

Miriam
Aug 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger, gender
There are some beautiful aspects of this story, especially the descriptions -- nature, food, clothing -- there's a richness to them that is very appealing. And the characters were interesting, although I can't say I *loved* any of them.

But the didactic elements! Man, I see why Goudge set the story in 1842 instead of a century later, when it was actually written. Over and over, the emphasis on Maria having to learn to accept and embody feminine virtues (and they are explicitly denoted as feminine
Skye
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: special-ones
This is a book that revels, without shame, in the star-dusted dreams of young girls. It is pure wish fulfilment in the most delightful and honest of ways and does not pretend to be anything else. Miss Goudge's beautiful prose is descriptive in infinite detail. Each time you enter a room or meet a character or enjoy a meal it is explained in full; down to the colour of the napkins or the pattern of the curtains. She creates a world that is both welcoming and comforting, with an edge of danger and ...more
Annie
One of my fav books from childhood & one I re-read annually. Thanks to JK Rowling, it's now undergoing a resurgence in popularity - being republished & make into a movie. Not bad for a book which one the Carnegie Medal in 1946. Ever since I have wanted a round tower bedroom.
Kemaria
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems a lot of those reviewers for whom this story didn't resonate are those who only learned about it as adults after hearing that J. K. Rowling liked it. I think this is one of those books where if you don't read it as a child, you will never fully appreciate it as an adult.

For me, I first read this book when I was probably seven or eight, and adored it at first read. It has remained one of my favorite childhood books. There's sheer magic in the descriptions - like Maria's room at the mano
Jane
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘The Little White Horse’ is one of a number of stories that Elizabeth Goudge wrote for children. It is set sometime in the 19th century, in the Devonshire countryside that the author so loved; and it is an engaging and old-fashioned tale, underpinned by both magic and faith.

Maria Merryweather was born and raised in London, but when was thirteen she was orphaned and sent to live with her last living relative – Sir Benjamin of Moonacre Manor – in the heart of the country. She travelled with her go
Dee
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy or fairytales...
If I could describe this book in one word, it would definatly be "gorgeous". The language, the atmosphere... I almost forgot about reality reading it! You may be thinking "who wants to read a book about a little white horse?" Honestly, its not like that at all. The book is much, much more than tea parties and riding sidesaddle, although we first meet the characters in a lovely horse-draw carrige...

Maria Merryweather, who recently became an orphan, is sent to live with her cousin Sir Benjamen wi
Andrealitchfield
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8 and up
Recommended to Andrealitchfield by: Mom
Do you like adventure? Family pets that are not really, um ,family pets? Feasting? Ponies? Feisty heroines? Little boys who drop in for a play date that no one can see but you? Long family feuds that threaten to wreck everything unless someone very brave acts quickly with a clear head and great courage? This book's got'em! The story of young Maria Merryweather and her friend, Robin, is a classic. The scene at tea, where Robin and Maria agree to marry, had me rolling on the floor! It can be a bit ...more
Meika
Jan 01, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-quit
Monica Edinger
I reread this book a few years ago (after J.K. Rowling spoke of it as her one childhood favorite) and loved it. I'm eager to see what they do with the movie. I haven't heard of any kids today reading it and am afraid, frankly, to give it to any. Feels a bit of its time somehow. But I love it.
Sally906
The little white horse by Elizabeth Goudge is a book that I have read once every year or two since I was 10. It is old-fashioned, romantic with lashings of fantasy. It is a fun adventure, set in a pure and innocent world where good overcomes evil, enemies reconcile and hope is restored.

Set in 19th century England, it is a magical story of the newly orphaned Maria who has to leave her London home to stay with her guardian Sir Benjamin Merryweather, at Moonacre Manor. Before they arrive Maria and
Kelsey Bryant
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
One of the sweetest, most picturesque books I've ever read. It's a sentimental and happily-ever-after fairytale, but there is just enough realism for me. The life lessons of trust, getting along, and making peace were priceless. The setting was intriguing and hard to categorize--a pocket of idyllic landscape in the real world of Victorian England, with idealized circumstances and fanciful creatures. The animals were actual species of animals who couldn't talk, but they acted as intelligent as hu ...more
Jessica
A sweet tale, and enjoyable enough to read, but so much of the story unnecessarily focuses on how important it is for women not to be curious. Don't ask questions, don't go exploring, wait for the men to explain things to you and tell you where to go. Additional important moral lesson: Don't ever quarrel with someone you love, because they will totally leave you forever.

The story is about a young girl who finds herself an orphan and moves from high-society London to her only surviving relative'
E. Writes
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A completely adorable book from start to finish! I'm sorry I didn't run into this one sooner in my reading life, it's a sweet, perfectly balanced adventure for the young and imaginative, and is overloaded with all the best things one thinks of when one thinks of England.
I wonder if Devon is even half as enchanting in real life as it is portrayed in this book!!! If so, I want to go...

I liked the cleverness of the wording, the author shows a facility with language that is a true delight, with p
Charlie
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with taste.
Shelves: favorites
my older sister (nerd) gave me this book for christmas one year. i was not open enough to know how amazing it was, but when i did find out how amazing it is, i now read EVERY book she gives me. she is a genius, this book is phenomenal! so beautiful i only mourn i cannot crawl into the world created here.
Kellyn Roth
This book is the best. Everyone should read it. It's just so sweet and magical. :)
Mary Frances
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing, gloriously magical fairy tale. This may now be my very favorite children's book.
Lindsay B
It was an ok book. The white horse was not mentioned very much. It was a very happy story like a fairy tale. But to happy. Maria always got her way. I thought it was weird that Maria had 10 KIDS in the end.
Benjamin Thomas
Continuing my December policy of reading books that have been on my TBR shelves forever, I picked up "The Little White Horse" by Elizabeth Goudge. This one was one of my wife's books that she brought to the marriage 25 years ago and judging by the cover would be a young adult fantasy novel that would appeal to girls. But it was on the shelves...so I had to read it sometime...

Once again, I'm glad I did. My impressions were correct in that I think it would appeal to young teenage girls, mostly due
Akemi G
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
OMG I am so glad to finally find this book! This was my favorite of favorites in childhood, and I've been looking for this, not remembering the title. It's about a girl moving to this old castle or something . . . where there is a harpsichord . . . and a unicorn in the nearby woods . . . and men who seem scary and bad but not really. Make sense? What was it called? Google couldn't help . . . Hey, GR just "suggested" it to me!

Got to reread this sometime soon.
Naomi Sarah
The main thing I liked about this book was the writing style. No, seriously. IT WAS ADORABLE. It made me smile, and it reminded me of soft tinkly piano music. It was gorgeous and adorable and ahhhh.

Not my favourite book in general, but I liked it. :-)
Jean
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now and then, it is good for the soul to set aside the Songs of Experience, and read from the Songs of Innocence. The Little White Horse is one such song. It is marvelously innocent--from its pure-minded adolescent heroine to its straight-out-of-a-dream countryside-and-castle setting to its charming and surprise-less plot line.

Elizabeth Goudge's children's stories have been compared to the writing of E. Nesbit. Nesbit is one of my favorite authors, and the comparison is apt, especially once you
Daniela
When Maria suddenly becomes orphaned at thirteen, she and her governess Miss Heliotrope move to Maria's last living relative - Sir Benjamen of Moonacre Manor. When they arrive by carriage in the middle of the night, they are enchanted by what they see: a castle bathed in moonlight set in a beautiful big park. Maria feels at home right away and soon makes friends in the animal and human world. But not everything is as happy as it seems - something evil lurks in the dark woods north of Moonacre Ma ...more
Elinor  Loredan
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced book that doesn't take much time to reflect on what is happening in it. Conversation and thoughts about events and state of being are a little less than I'd like.

Maria, the heroine, is rather cold. She takes her destiny as the current Moon Princess and her betrothal to Robin without much reaction. She's brave and level-headed with a strong sense of justice and duty, but there isn't enough going on in her mind to really bring me to a deep connection with her.

Loveday is a little too
Lily Calder
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children-s, owned
Full review taken from here: https://lilypadblogs.wordpress.com/20...

Oh, the nostalgia. Oh, the love I have for this book.

Having misplaced my well-worn paperback years ago, I decided this year to buy another copy and give this children’s classic a reread. I’m so pleased that I did. Details that I remembered from reading the book as a child were made even more vivid; Goudge’s knack for lovely description is so clear in this tale, as is her genuine skill at making a children’s book simple in style
Beth Bonini
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of this classic English book until a friend said it was the favourite book of her childhood . . . and, indeed, a "comfort read" well into adulthood. Now I see it everywhere -- and I marvel that I could have been unaware of it for so long.

By the third paragraph, I knew that I would love it.
"Humanity can be roughly divided into three sorts of people -- those who find comfort in literature, those who find comfort in personal adornment, and those who find comfort in food; and Miss
Karolinde (Kari)
I read this book because it has been pushed as one of J.K. Rowlings' favorite childhood books and a major influences on her work. There was also a limited release movie that looked fascinating. While the plot is interesting, there were so many annoying points that it made it hard to truly enjoy the story as much as I could have.

1. The resolution was all too predictable.
2. The main character is annoying. She is described as being aristocratic and that is her most important quality.
3. The animals
Marie
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is beyond wonderful.

I came across an article about J.K. Rowling a little while back and she mentioned this as her favourite book growing up and glowingly praised it. I tracked it down for my Kindle and really loved every moment of it.

Set in 1842, thirteen year old Maria Merryweather travels with her governess, Miss Heliotrope, and her self-absorbed Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Wiggins, by carriage to live with her uncle after the death of her father. A little vain and preoccupied wi
Samantha
Sep 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Three stars is rare for me and I feel at odds to provide such a low rate compared to my standard. It wasn't a bad book in the slightest. This was a lovely and magical children's story full of hope and inspiration, magic and wonder. For taking place in the 1800's it shed a lot of light on female power which was not readily accepted or commonplace for the time at hand which was intriguing to read.

The reason for the seemingly low rate is simply that the story didn't resonate with me as others tend
Nikki
Seventh book of the twenty-four hour readathon. Gosh, I'm sleepy.

The Little White Horse is a little fairytale, really. I remember a friend in first year recommendng it to me over and over again, so I had quite high hopes, but I don't think it's really that special. Everything is very predictable, and often slightly silly -- mistaking a lion for a dog, really? It's kind of sweet, at times, but it edges into too sweet. I'd have liked more of a sense of risk, and for things to come a bit less easil
Mary Catelli
A children's book about an orphan, Maria Merryweather, sent off into a countryside valley, with her governess and her pet dog.

Her guardian makes her welcome and talks about the moon Merryweathers, such as Maria, and the sun ones, such as himself.

She finds a world of marvelous quirks and oddities, and also a tragic backstory, and a good deal of what is clearly magic, however lightly laid on. There are the Men from the Dark Wood, a necklace of pearls that vanished, a tawny dog, a wedding gown a wo
Kindred Spirits: Friday, April 1st, 2016: The Little White Horse 42 38 May 01, 2016 04:52PM
YA e dintorni: The little white horse - Discussione unica 25 34 Jan 04, 2014 06:23AM
Wild Things: YA G...: The Little White Horse 1 41 Jun 13, 2009 10:36AM
  • The Little Bookroom
  • A Traveller in Time
  • The Children of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #1)
  • Charlotte Sometimes
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • A Dog So Small
  • Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons, #6)
  • Flambards (Flambards, #1)
  • The Unicorn Treasury: Stories, Poems, and Unicorn Lore
  • The Little Grey Men
  • The Story of the Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #1)
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • The Owl Service
  • Mistress Masham's Repose
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • Time at the Top
Elizabeth Goudge was an English author of romance novels, short stories and children's books.

Elizabeth de Beauchamp Goudge was born on 24 April 1900 in the cathedral city of Wells, she moved with her family to Ely when her father, a clergyman, was transferred there. When her father, Henry Leighton Goudge, was made Regius Professor of Divinity at Oxford, the family left Ely and went to Christ Churc
More about Elizabeth Goudge...
“Humanity can be roughly divided into three sorts of people - those who find comfort in literature, those who find comfort in personal adornment, and those who find comfort in food;” 151 likes
“Robin: When you do marry, who will you marry?
Maria: I have not quite decided yet, but I think I shall marry a boy I knew in London.
Robin(yells): What? Marry some mincing nincompoop of a Londoner with silk stockings and a pomade in his hair and face like a Cheshire cheese? You dare do such a thing! You - Maria - if you marry a London man I'll wring his neck! (...) I'll not only wring his neck, I'll wring everybody's necks, and I'll go right away out of the valley, over the hills to the town where my father came from, and I won't ever come back here again. So there!
(...)
Maria: Why don't you want me to marry that London boy?
Robin(shouting): Because you are going to marry me. Do you hear, Maria? You are going to marry me.”
46 likes