Start by marking “No Man's Land” as Want to Read:
No Man's Land

No Man's Land

Author of the 2010 New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book Seasons (Enchanted Lion Books), Blexbolex's No Man's Land satirizes the mind's ability to seduce itself—mercilessly hurtling its hero around an implausible dreamland designed to mask the processes of mortality. Blexbolex's first full-length graphic novel is as beautiful as it is disturbing.

This book employs
Published July 17th 2012 by Nobrow Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about No Man's Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Man's Land

Start your review of No Man's Land
Michael Seidel
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Definitely one of the most stunning visual artifacts on my bookshelf. The illustrations are inventive, bright, and...just wow.

The story is another thing. Maybe I need to revisit it with a less flu-impending mind, but on first blush the writing is woefully un-nuanced and gracelessly disjointed. I almost feel like I have no idea what I just read. Maybe it's the translation. Maybe it's just me.

Buy this book of for nothing more than being able to showcase its visual beauty.
Jim Erekson
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark, graphic-novel
Graphic illustrations were reminiscent of a 1920s graphic poster style, and the nihilism and deconstruction themes in the story were a good match for this style. With a Camus-ish antihero the writing was chunky and clunky, without the repetition or story development necessary to make a disorienting set of episodes like this come back together. Using a story to undermine narrative is always tricky business.
iewi
Aug 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stopped-reading
I think this is supposed to be Art, but I've always seen art in eloquence and subtlety, when it regards the written word. To me, it is just confusing. Confusing from literally the first page to when I gave up reading it. I wouldn't read it again.
The visual art is a different story. It's quite good.
Bob Lopez
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful art, strange but ultimately weak story. Still, the novelty and amusement trumps any of the negatives.
Eli Quinn
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amazing illustrations, but unfortunately the writing is weak and felt very forced. 5 stars for the art, 2/3 stars for the writing.
Jeremy
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Each page is a wonder to behold. The only thing that stopped me from staring and staring was my excitement over getting to stare at the next page. Sometimes you just shake your head and say, "Damn."
Jefferson
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
surprisingly cohesive in the end, but the artwork is the reason you need to have this book
Tom
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Art and print job are fine. Story? Meh.
Wright
Jun 11, 2014
Sara
Dec 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Blexbolex (born 1966) is a French comics artist and illustrator. Born Bernard Granger in Douai, he studied screen printing (sérigraphie) at the School of Fine Arts (L’école européenne supérieure de l'image) in Angoulême. His first works were self-published, and later he contributed to Popo Color, Fusée, and Ferraille. His highly stylized, ligne claire illustration, inspired by the films of Jacques ...more