Start by marking “Hilda and the Midnight Giant (Hilda, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hilda and the Midnight Giant (Hilda, #2)

Hilda and the Midnight Giant

(Hilda #2)

In Hilda and the Midnight Giant, our protagonist finds her world turned upside down as she faces the prospect of leaving her snow-capped birthplace for the hum of the megalopolis, where her mother (an architect) has been offered a prestigious job. During Hilda's daily one-and-a-half hour trek to school she looks for ways to stall her mother's decision. She conspires with t ...more
Hardcover, Nobrow Edition, 40 pages
Published April 17th 2012 by Nobrow Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hilda and the Midnight Giant, please sign up.
Albos It is a little scary, but it is like a child horror style, isn't it? More darky than scary. I think it is like Roald Dahl's books, and a child, most…moreIt is a little scary, but it is like a child horror style, isn't it? More darky than scary. I think it is like Roald Dahl's books, and a child, most of them, at least, can read these comics without any problem.

Anyway, every child is different, so in the end is something you have to value for your particular case.(less)

Kai
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was super cute but super short. Looking forward to the other Hilda volumes!
Andrew
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another killer book by Luke Pearson. The Hilda series might be my favorite kids series (not that I read enough of them to really know). At times I felt like I was reading the modern Tintin - the adventerousness, the great artwork, and the large format with lots of panels. There are definite Spirted Away vibes present with the numerous strange situations and characters Hilda meets in the story.

I loved the idea of Hilda 'ignoring' the elves, just as the giants ignore humans. All three species liv
Emily
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Casually picked this up off the library shelf and read a blurb on the back which states that author/artist Luke Pearson channels Tove Jansson and Hayao Miyazaki...Sold. It is lovely. The resident 10 year-old picked up the sequel (which I'd had the foresight to check out at the same time) the moment he finished. Myself, I'd rather let my thoughts linger with this one before moving on. My only niggling complaint is that for such a physically large book, it's a super quick read, and so one should p ...more
Cameron Chaney
After reading and enjoying the first book in the Hilda children's graphic novel series, I grabbed the second volume right away. I was pleased to see this one is twice as long as the first book. Still only 40 pages, but at least there's a bit more content here. While I didn't like the story quite as much as the first one, it's still very cute and quirky. Recommended!
Charles Hatfield
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A graceful, surefooted, graphically beautiful fantasy comic, blending Pearson's Chris Ware/Kevin Huizenga-like formal interests with an easy, assured evocation of a quietly fantastic world. Sly, charming, full of small surprises, and lovingly cartooned, with terrific body language and some startling pages, Hilda is the real deal: a confection with purpose. Subtle moral insights come gift-wrapped in deadpan absurdities; Gulliverian problems of scale (little people, big people, really big people) ...more
Christine
Милішим за цей комікс може бути тільки однойменний мультик.
Dov Zeller
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful little book. Quirky critters, delightful colors, great, layered story. I am looking forward to reading again and perhaps will write a bit more here. I highly recommend.
Daniel Sevitt
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-comic
Another wonderful outing for Hilda. The artwork in service of good storytelling is gorgeous. There are plenty of great jokes in a short space of time and things that happen have real consequences for our adventurer.

I already have the next two in the series and I'm going to resist reading them all at once so I have something to look forward to.
Mathew
Pearson's second venture feels far more like a story than his first venture. In Hilda, it felt as if he had the characters and the world but was tentative in letting loose with either: it was more of a light introduction. Hilda and the Midnight Giant is Pearson taking that next step. With the landscape set alongside Hilda and her mother, he found room to expand in all elements of his storytelling.
There is more text here (which works for the better) and there is a sense of tension now between mu
Sam Quixote
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Hilda and her mother live in a cottage in the middle of an empty valley - or at least they think it's empty. They begin receiving tiny letters from elves who say that the valley is theirs, so Hilda takes it upon herself to seek them out and find a solution to their co-existence. Oh, and there's a giant that only comes out at night and only Hilda can see.

Luke Pearson goes all Miyazaki in this kids story with lots of fantastical creatures and quests with a little girl as hero. It's a charming and
Jenna
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and while the drawing style isn't as much to my liking as in the other books, I still enjoy the captivating combination of fantastic creatures that are very real not only to Hilda but her mother as well. I did miss the wooden man and the invisible miniature elves were cute but not as interesting a concept. Also wish it had gone just a little bit more in detail about co-existence between the elf civilization and Hilda's home, since it's briefly mentioned with the relationship between giants ...more
Raina
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love how well-developed this world is. Things that were passing mentions in the first book reappear here.
This feels reassuring - like Pearson has mapped this world out, and isn't just randomly throwing in things he thinks are cool.

Like the first one, Hildafolk, totally beautiful, thoughtful, and slightly offcenter. (view spoiler)

Srsly tempted to read more than two of these. And maybe add them to my personal collection
Nicola Mansfield
Wonderful second book in this original fairy tale series. Hilda finds out her forest is inhabited by both little folk and giants putting herself in the perspective of both as well. While trying to solve the problem she is causing the little people who have let themselves become visible to her she meets the last of the old giants who has come looking for his friend who had promised to meet him here four thousand years ago. Wonderful characters and story. A pure delight to read! An interesting end ...more
Rafael Fulanetti
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fofíssimo!!! Traço incrivelmente lindo!
Sam Harrington
Quando ho iniziato a vedere la serie animata Hilda su Netflix l'ultima cosa che mi aspettavo era che mi sarei ossessionata in questo modo. Ho divorato la serie, l'ho inserita subito tra le mie preferite di sempre, ho messo delle fan art come sfondo sul telefono e infine ho comprato la graphic novel della mia puntata preferita.
Semplicemente adorabile. Non lunghissima, ovviamente, visto che è per bambini, questa storia mi è rimasta nel cuore e ho tratto anche degli spunti notevoli e davvero profo
Shira
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 כוכבים
חביב
Heather
(3.5 stars really.)

I liked this second "Hilda" book more than the first: the art is as whimsical and gorgeous as it was in the first book, and there's a bit more of a story. Just after the book opens, Hilda and her mom hear a knock on their door: but when Hilda opens it, no one's there. Hilda finds a tiny envelope on the grass outside: it's the latest in a series of threatening letters (all equally tiny). The letters, all of which are from local elves (who are invisible to Hilda and her mom) all
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Hilda and her mom live in a lovely little place that is quiet and isolated. They enjoy being in their little valley that has been in the family for generations. However, someone doesn’t want them there. In fact, they keep getting small-sized letters warning them to move. But Hilda doesn’t want to move. Neither does her mother. So they stay. Then they are attacked. But they can’t see who is attacking them.

Later one invisible elf decides to let Hilda in on a secret. There is a whole country of elv
Lori Redman
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hilda and her mother live in the wilderness in a tiny house- that just so happens to be surrounded by the houses of tiny, invisible elves. These elves want Hilda and her mother to leave this land for good. Hilda sets out to convince the elves to let her stay, and encounters a mysterious giant along her journey.

These drawings, and the imaginative characters (especially the flying furballs that were migrating) seemed very reminiscent of Miyazaki- especially in Princess Mononoke. Slightly less weir
Simon Reid
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Luke Pearson expands on the world he introduced in 2010's short intro Hildafolk. This first full Hilda adventure teems with fun new creatures and characters, and is gently plotted in a way that recalls Tove Jansson's best Moomin strip stories. Luke's art now delights in this wild natural world and breaks out into some extra-impressive layout every couple of pages. I'm looking forward to more of this series, and more comics in general that hit this tone.
Arie ☂
Everything started to get smaller. People appeared and built towns. The giants would accidentally step on them. There were arguments... fights. It just wasn't their world anymore. So they had to leave. But no one knows where they went. Some say they all just jumped as high as they could and drifted off into space.
2.5 stars. I wasn't as crazy about the plot of this one as I was about Hilda's first adventure, but I did love the giants' arc.

Kendra
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one was sadder, but still visually soothing to my soul. And emotionally soothing too. And I just really want everyone to be okay.

(view spoiler)
Arielle Walker
These books just get more and more gorgeous, I swear. Numerous quotes on the back covers suggest that the Hilda books are like a glorious blend of Hayao Miyazaki and Tove Jansson - this is so accurate. But Hilda is also wholly her own character in her own world and it's wonderful.
Adan
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilda and her mom are threatened by creatures both tiny and giant, and must find a way to live peacefully with both lest they be forced to move to the dreaded town nearby. Hilda is one of my new (to me) favorite characters in kid's lit. She's plucky and courageous, and pretty dang smart!
Juli Anna
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A pleasant surprise! This one feels much more like a thoughtful, finished story than the first one, and it gives me hope for the rest of the series. Generally, the character development is more minimal than I usually like, but the play with scale and volume in this story is really well done.
J.P.
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I definitely agree with the blurb on the back: a mix of Tove Jansson and Hayao Miyazaki! :)
Kristen
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Harper loved this graphic novel and we had fun reading it together. She loved Hilda and recognized a few of their common traits- making friends with giants and elves being one.
Rebecca Schwarz
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charming little story with whimsical artwork and curious characters. The ending was a little abrupt and went against Hilda's motivation, but my 10YO wasn't bothered by it at all.
Dave Leys
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quirky sensibility reminiscent of Murakami. The pictures have a verve and the dialogue is modern and yet has some timeless qualities. Lightly balances folkloric and modern thematic qualities
  • Arthur and the Golden Rope (The Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #1)
  • The Golden Twine
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • Rutabaga the Adventure Chef (Adventure Chef #1)
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Into the Woods (BIGFOOT Boy #1)
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Copper
  • Owly, Vol. 5: Tiny Tales (Owly, #5)
  • Monster on the Hill
Luke Pearson is a comic book artist and illustrator, author of Hildafolk and Everything We Miss (published by Nobrow Press). Hildafolk, his first book for Nobrow Press, quickly gained him recognition as a leading proponent of the new wave of English cartoonists.

"Pearson’s whimsical artwork—a cross between Lucky Luke and Miyazaki—creates a magical spell of a mysterious world of hidden creatures, an

Hilda (6 books)
  • Hildafolk (Hilda, #1)
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade (Hilda, #3)
  • Hilda and the Black Hound (Hilda, #4)
  • Hilda and the Stone Forest (Hilda, #5)
  • Hilda and the Mountain King