Start by marking “Mississippi Bridge (Logans #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Mississippi Bridge (Logans #4.5)

Mississippi Bridge (Logans #4.5)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  792 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Jeremy Simms watches from the porch of the general store as the passengers board the weekly bus from Jackson. When several white passengers arrive late, the driver roughly orders the black passengers off to make room. Then, in the driving rain, disaster strikes, and Jeremy witnesses a shocking end to the day's drama. Set in Mississippi in the 1930s, this is a gripping stor ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Mississippi Bridge, please sign up.

Rachel Lenix Jeremy isn't a sharecropper. He father is the land owner.

Audrey
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jeremy Simms is a white boy who wants to befriend the blacks despite his father's prejudices. One day he observes the blacks being pushed off a bus to make room for more whites. When the bus leaves it crashes through a rotten bridge and into a swollen creek from the winter rains.
Hayden Hamlin
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
i picked 4 stars because it goes good with the civil rights and it has a very good story and if you are wanting to learn more about the civil rights i recommend this book
Ramanda Flannery
This book is about a little white boy who talks about how black people were treated in his time. He sat on the steps of the general store in his town and watched the bus come through to pick up passengers from his town. There were a lot of people traveling on this particular day, two white family and three black familes. There was only room for two families so the black people had to get off the bus. The black people were upset but didn't say anything. He decided to go talk to one of the black p ...more
Char Hight
Personal Thoughts:

I thought this was an overall good book and an easy read. The plot takes place a little after the Great Depression in the 1930s in rural Mississippi. The book is relatively short with only 62 pages making it a good beginner/transitional chapter book. One downfall of the book is that it is not set up with parts or chapters so it may be difficult finding a stopping point to resume at a later time. The dialect that the characters have is a little difficult to read. I found myself
Shannon Brasher
Mississippi Bridge looks at racial inequality in the south (Mississippi) in the time after the Great Depression and before the Civil Rights Movement. Jeremy comes from a family who are very prejudice towards African Americans, however somehow despite his upbringing and the culture of the time he is able to see those of color as being the same as himself. The story takes place entirely within an hour or so where Jeremy witnesses several occasions of racial prejudice and then a tragic accident. Th ...more
Hana
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is realistic fiction about the history of black people in Mississippi during the 1930’s who were treated differently than the white people. Life was painful for many African Americans in the great depression time. For example, if the black people want to ride the bus they have to sit in the back. The book shows how the white people have more power while the black are mistreated.

The main characters in this story are Jeremy Simms, Josias, and Stacey, Cassie, Christopher-John, and Little-
Whitney Church
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I chose to read this realistic fiction because I read several of Mildred D. Taylor's books. I was excited to get another glimpse at the Logan family. This book was written from the perspective of a white child who interacts with the children. I enjoyed the book but was disappointed with the ending. I wish the author had written more, the story ended in the midst of a major event. As a reader I was left wanting to know more.

This story would be good for intermediate readers. It could easily be inc
Mrs. Kris's Class
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a Boy Named Jeramy, he is white. Back then white people were mean to Black people, that was around when we still had SLAVERY:( Jeramy wants to be friends with the Logan Family, the are black. But that does not STOP him from following them. I can not give away the BIG SUPRISE, so you'll just have to read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By sofia *********************************************************************************************
Allen
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mississippi Bridge, by Mildred Taylor, takes place in Mississippi in the 1930's. The Logan family sees their grandmother off on a trip as she travels with the Josia family because their father has a new job. Because they are Black, they are told to get off the bus when there is not enough room on the bus because more white passengers board. After they get off, the bus crashes off the bridge into the water and they help the people in the water. The book deals with racism and segregation. it shows ...more
Nykele Crandall
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Diana (Bever) Barber
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read. Much shorter than "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry." I'm a sucker for books set in the days of post-slavery segregation. I guess I should be more specific: 1950s era. Unfortunately, a lot of what's in these books by Mildred Taylor is still going on today. In this case, many of the characters are the same and the action centers around the store, the bus, and the bridge. It's quick, but it's worth your time to read.
Cheryl
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teenshelf
This book is short and appears to be aimed at the elementary age reader ( with illustrations and all), but the intensity of the plot, the complex moral issues addressed, and the first person narrative in Southern dialect would make it hard for younger readers to persist with it, and it might be too much for a pre-6th grade audience to process. I liked it rather better than the Logan "saga" books because it captured the essence of discrimination and prejudice so precisely.
Jessica
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
this is a sad book I think that you shouldn't read this until you have read "ROLL OF THUNDER HEAR MY CRY" because this is the sequale and you need to read the first one before you read this because you won't know about the characters and who they are it would be confussing also this is an easy book and it is only about 50-70 pages it is really an easy read.
Olivia
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Though i only gave the book two stars it was a good book. The book was about a white boy ( Jeremy)who was agenst segregation but his papa was not he was really liking it or supporting and jeremy was afraid to help black people though he knew it was right. I would suggest this book to anyone who likes very fast moving books.
Baige Bell
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a good little story, but it definitely leaves something to be desired. I liked that it was from Jeremy's point of view, but I felt that the dialect was a bit overdone and hampered understanding, especially compared to how well the dialect was done in Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. Definitely a very quick read, and I always enjoy the Logan's world.
Nashiea Edmiston
An excellent transitional book for children in grades 4-6, short and a fast read. The book has some outdated words and would not be suitable for some ages. Please read this book ahead of time in order to be prepared with explanations and modifications if reading this book aloud to students. This book takes place in Mississippi during the great depression.
Volkert
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Told from the perspective of white Jeremy Simms, who has befriended the black Logan family in racist Mississippi in the 1930s. Some black passengers are evicted from a bus to make room for last minute white passengers. The bus goes goes over a bridge railing and into the flooded river, resulting in death and serious questions.
Carolyn
Mar 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Although Mildred Taylor didn't grow up in the South, she's captured the racism and predudice of many Southerners in the days before the Civil Rights movement. This book has a sad ending which surprised me a little based on the cover and the age of the intended audience. I didn't think it was disturbing, but could bother some younger readers.
Colette
There was a time in fifth grade when everyone passed around a copy of "Bridge to Terabithia" and exchanged stories about how much they cried at the end. I understood why they were so worked up over it, but it was nothing like the complete and utter desolation that "Mississippi Bridge" left in its wake.
Juan
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
It was a short book about racism in the United States. It was very boring to read and had barely any action in it. The climax of the story was when the bus fell into the Mississippi River. Which is ironic because an old black lady was kick off the bus because there was not enough space. The bus with mostly white people sunk but luckily black people managed to save them from drowning.
Jim
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: death, racism
typical Mildred Taylor, she punches you in the gut as much w/the quality of her writing as w/her story. 1930s in the south told from the stand point of a white boy to young to understand that racism is the "right" thing.
but not to young to learn irony.
Arnetha
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Although this is a children's book, I really enjoyed it. I wish it could have been longer. The story takes place in a little town store in Mississippi. The story tells us how the whites treated the blacks back in the 1930's.
Diana Pettis
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Guided reading level S. I just finished reading this with a group of fifth graders at my school. They were very surprised about the ending and thought the way the author used dialogue was interesting.
Janette
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This was a good choice for my third grade class. It was an eye-opener to the racial struggles in Mississippi through the experience of a boy and his friends during the 1930's. Although it was sad, it was touching, and great for discussion.
Tammy Gibbs
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm still not sure if this belongs in an elementary school or not. I was confused and in tears by the end of its short 62 pages.
Debbie Stone
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this years ago, but it was an amazing book.
Mandy
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Again, same characters as Roll of Thunder. It was a quick read. Obviously for younger readers.
Raquel
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, december, 2015, y-a
Mildred Taylor sure has a flair for making bad things happen to her characters.
Chris
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal
Great story! Wish it was longer and got more into Jeremy's family and home life. I recommend this book for everyone ages 12+.
Molly
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was alright but i hated the ending, and it was really short
  • The Best Bad Thing
  • Cousins
  • If You Lived At The Time Of The Great San Francisco Earthquake
  • Blood Secret
  • Yolonda's Genius
Mildred DeLois Taylor is an African-American writer known for her works exploring the struggle faced by African-American families in the Deep South.

Taylor was born in Jackson, Mississippi, but lived there only a short amount of time, then moved to Toledo, Ohio, where she spent most of her childhood. She now lives in Colorado with her daughter.

Many of her works are based on stories of her family t
More about Mildred D. Taylor...

Logans (7 books)
  • The Land
  • The Well: David's Story
  • Song of the Trees (Logans #3)
  • Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Logans, #4)
  • Let the Circle Be Unbroken