Start by marking “Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)

Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  993 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
Welcome to Aunt Pat's barbecue restaurant, which serves up Memphis fun with a side order of murder.

Recipes included.

Named in honor of Lulu Taylor's great aunt, Aunt Pat's family-run Memphis restaurant is known for its ribs and spicy cornbread. But now the Taylor family will be known for murder...

Rebecca Adrian came to Memphis to suss out the best local BBQ for a prominent
Published (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Delicious and Suspicious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delicious and Suspicious

Grey853
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I debated giving this a one star, but gave it two. It's got some good points in that there are a few scenes that I liked. On the other hand, most of the book is filled with stereotypes, far too many characters, and too many obvious clues.

Worst of all, I really didn't like Lulu. I know she was supposed to be the likable Southern cooking mom, but I found her overbearing and bossy. I just found it muddled and not very interesting, which was disappointing. I really wanted to like it.

Andrea
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
This book really annoyed me. I had to finish it just because I wanted to know who the killer was. However, there were too many characters and the author wrote from all of their viewpoints. Lulu annoyed me, and absolutely no one would just tell the cops what they knew but they were more than happy to open up to Lulu. If the cops had just asked the right questions, the second person wouldn't have been dead...

And let's just face it, once you found out who did it, it was just lame...

I will not be re
Softness
Apr 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: slow mysteries, southern mysteries, slice of life mystery
I don't know what in the world I just read. At first I thought it might be a slice of life murder mystery, but it became a little ridiculous after awhile. I did enjoy the setting of the BBQ restaurant and all the talk about ribs. Most of the characters were nosy and annoying, and it took forever for the murders to be solved. I only finished the book because I started it. If this is a series - I won't be looking for book #2. Just isn't my style of story.
Mary
Mar 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, folks, but I could not read this book. I will admit, I only got to page 35 but there was nothing about the plot or the characters that could hold my attention. When it comes to short books...this one is only 288 pages, if a reader isn't into the story pretty quick, it just isn't going to happen. I am sure a lot of folks will enjoy this book...and the rest of the books in the series, but I am not one of them.
Bibliofiendlm
Jul 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Did not finish. Boooooorrrrring. Lacked any punch that most fun food cozy mysteries have. Not my thing.
Pam
Nov 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get into this one. Not the story or the characters.
Jenn
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Culinary Cozies thinks DELICIOUS AND SUSPICIOUS is a “Satisfying Read.” This first book in the Memphis BBQ series, by Riley Adams, dished up platefuls of southern goodness.

The story centers around Aunt Pat’s BBQ. It’s a family owned restaurant in the heart of Memphis filled with lovable regulars and known for its stick-to-your ribs food. So well known, in fact, that it draws the attention of the Cooking Channel.

Unfortunately, the Cooking Channel scout turns out to be a hateful woman with the ab
Jenne
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
While the book was good, it was not great and wasn't a smooth reading. It was a lot harder to finish this book than it usually takes when it comes to cozy mysteries, but the first book in a new series is just the start of something that could end up better.

In the very beginning I was overwhelmed with different characters, many not relating to the mystery at all. It got the point where I would forget who was who and what was what. The main character LuLu irked me at times. She was always trying
Christy
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lulu Taylor is matriarch of a family that runs Aunt Pat’s barbeque restaurant, a favorite eatery in Memphis, TN. Hoping to win a spot on the Cooking Channel show, Lulu intends to wow the show’s scout, Rebecca Adrian, when she visits. But Rebecca is arrogant, rude, and not so easily impressed with the food or colorful characters gracing Aunt Pat’s. Rebecca manages to insult most of the people she meets, and when she’s found dead in her hotel room from food poisoning, all eyes turn to Aunt Pat’s, ...more
BJ
"Delicious and Suspicious" is the first in a new series, complete with recipes by Riley Adams. Most of the action takes place in Aunt Pats BBQ restaurant located on Beale Street in Memphis. The story revolves around family matriarch and restaurant owner Lulu Taylor and her family, two sons, Ben and Seb, Ben's wife Sara, Ben and Sara's twin girls, Coco and Ella Beth and Sara's nephew Derrick. All spend lots of time at the restaurant along with many restaurant regulars/characters such as the Grace ...more
Patty
Aug 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book but I had some problems with it, mostly the number of characters and how they all related. Aunt Pat's Barbeque is the center of the story, and Aunt Pat is no longer with us - so the woman she willed it to, LuLu Taylor, is the main character. Her family consists of two sons, one daughter-in-law, two granddaughters (twins who are *very* different) and a "shirt-tail" relative who is actually the nephew of the DIL. Then you come to the regular customers of Aunt Pat's, three elderly ...more
RebeccaS
This was an okay mystery. Lots and lots of suspects (basically the whole town), but I guessed the main culprit pretty quickly. (view spoiler) I liked the characters well ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
New mystery series set at a BBQ restaurant in Tennessee.

What I liked:
* I was surprised by the ending.
* The characters were interesting, especially the Graceland docents.

What I didn't like:
* The beginning of the book was confusing, especially as it kept shifting between Lulu's and Sara's POV. I wasn't sure which was going to be the main character.
* Sara doesn't seem to be a very good mother.
Karen
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this first installment was very, very good. Just when you think the murder(s) been found, a new unexpected twist comes to your attention. The recipes are mouthwatering and since I am in Memphis this very moment, I could definitely get into this series. Love Lulu Taylor.
Larry B Gray
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Good read and kept my interest with believable characters and a delicious plot. I think I gained 5 pounds while reading it. Love that BBQ.
Rachel
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, fast-paced cozy mystery set in Tennessee. It was well-written, and the characters were well drawn, some of whom were highly amusing. I look forward to reading more of the series.
Jeanie Harper
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The initial start of Lulu and Aunt Pat's barbeque restaurant. Her wild friends and family make this for an interesting and hilarious comedy/murder.

Already finished the rest of the series, but, nice to find out how it started.
Melissa M
This was a cute little mystery book. It was a cute story and a short book. Both are pluses for me. It didn't drag on.
Julie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle
Jo (My House of Books)
Susan
Delicious and Suspicious by Riley Adams introduces a new mystery series set in contemporary Memphis. Protagonist Lulu owns and operates Aunt Pat's BBQ restaurant, a family run operation. A television food channel scout from New York City is coming to the restaurant, and everyone is excited. Lulu imagines fame and fortune showering upon her already quite popular restaurant.

Lulu's daughter Sara will take the scout to visit a nearby art gallery to view her artwork. Lulu's friend Meredith will show
Mason
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lip-smackin’ good barbecue to die for.

That could literally serve as the slogan for Aunt Pat’s Barbecue Restaurant. However, owner Lulu Taylor isn’t happy with the dying part, she just wants patrons to love her barbecue in DELICIOUS AND SUSPICIOUS, a Memphis Barbecue Mystery series.

Aunt Pat’s, located in the heart of Memphis, TN, has the reputation for having the best barbecue around. This title brings Rebecca Adrian, a prominent Cooking Channel show scout, to town to have a taste. But Rebecca ha
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, mystery
I am a big fan of BBQ. Really, I could eat it every day no problem. So of course a mystery novel that would involve BBQ would be an eye-catcher for me. Well I found this book ok, not as much food description as I would have liked and highly predictable, but still cozy all the same.

Lulu is the proud owner of Aunt Pat's Bar-B-Que located in Memphis, TN. She is especially proud this week because a food scout/reporter from the Cooking Channel is coming to interview her for a segment on best bbqs. Lu
Julie H.
Apr 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Riley Adams' Delicious and Suspicious is Memphis, Tennessee's answer to the British cozy mystery. Add to it protagonist Lulu Taylor (think Miss Marple meets Paula Deen), proprietor of Aunt Pat's BBQ restaurant, and it's a winning recipe for hilarity.

The gist of the story is that Rebecca Adrian is sent with her cameraman Tony by the Cooking Channel to scout out Memphis' best BBQ joint and, intent on uncovering some sort of insidous gossip or other "hook" for her story, the distinctly hateful Mis
Angela
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aunt Pat's is the place to be, it has the best people and BBQ around. This all may change though when a wicked cooking channel woman comes to town to evaluate the BBQ for the best around. Rebecca is not only up on her high horse of being a "big tv star", but she also is rude and just so happens to know some deep secrets about one of the owner's sons. When Rebecca is found dead by, what looks to be, poison there aren't too many people crying over their soup about it. The thing that does get every ...more
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 5/27/12: 3.5 stars
So this was a nice, easy read. I really enjoyed the Memphis atmosphere and that it took place in a BBQ joint. I had fun with it, and I didn't really identify with any of the characters, but it kept me guessing the whole book as to who the killer was. It was pretty enjoyable and I'd definitely be interested in continuing in the series to get a better basis of the characters.

Full review as originally seen on The Book Addict's Guide: This was a pretty quick re
Lisa
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Cooking Channel scout Rebecca Adrian travels to the city of Memphis to sample the locally renowned barbecue at Aunt Pat’s, the mild-mannered local denizens are dismayed by the rude attitude of the brash, arrogant television celebrity.

Within hours of her arrival, Rebecca’s penchant for boorish, often malicious behavior has alienated Aunt Pat’s loyal patrons and incited more than a few to reach a level of dislike for the food critic that approaches murderous. After sampling Aunt Pat’s famous
Aurian Booklover
Aunt Pat’s is all abuzz, when the scout for a major food network arrives to make a show about the best bbq in town. And of course that is Aunt Pat’s! It certainly is not their main competitor with the tacky pink pig dancing in the street. But Rebecca Adrian is a very nasty woman, who does nothing better than to crush people’s hopes and dreams, and looks down at everyone she meets. And so, when Lulu finds her murdered in her hotel room, there are certainly plenty of suspects. Even amongst her own ...more
Drebbles
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Lulu Taylor and her family run a thriving barbeque restaurant called Aunt Pat’s BBQ in Memphis, Tennessee and are thrilled at the chance to maybe appear on a Cooking Channel show. However, the Cooking Channel scout, Rebecca Adrian, is not the nicest person in the world and before long someone kills her. There are plenty of people who wanted her dead but unfortunately it looks like Aunt Pat’s may somehow be involved. Lulu must scramble to find who the killer is before her restaurant business goes ...more
RomanceNovelNews.com
Written by Lisa Marie Wilkinson for Romance Novel News

After sampling Aunt Pat’s famous ribs, Ms. Adrian returns to the Peabody hotel, where she promptly collapses and dies, a victim of poisoning.

As the current proprietor, Lulu Taylor has a problem. Not only is
Has anyone read this author? 1 1 Jun 06, 2017 01:38PM
Around the Year i...: Delicious and Suspicious, by Riley Adams 1 9 Apr 03, 2017 05:38PM
  • Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1)
  • Dead Air (Talk Radio Mystery, #1)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee Mystery, #1)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • The Square Root of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #1)
  • The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #1)
  • Cookie Dough or Die (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams writes the Memphis Barbeque series for Penguin/Berkley (as Riley Adams), the Southern Quilting mysteries for Penguin/Signet, and the Myrtle Clover series for Midnight Ink. She blogs at Mystery Writing is Murder, which was named by Writer’s Digest as one of the 101 Best Websites for Writers for 2010-2013.

Riley’s latest book is Rubbed Out: book four of the Memphis B
More about Riley Adams...

A Memphis BBQ Mystery (4 books)
  • Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)
  • Hickory Smoked Homicide (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #3)
  • Rubbed Out (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #4)