Start by marking “Doctor Who: Phantasmagoria” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Phantasmagoria

Doctor Who: Phantasmagoria (Big Finish Monthly Range #2)

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  314 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
          The TARDIS takes the Doctor and Turlough to the London of 1702 where a mysterious highwayman roams the streets, a local occultist has made contact with the dead and gentlemen of fashion are disappearing, only to find themselves in a chamber whose walls weep blood...
          The time-travellers become enmeshed in the hideous plan of Sir Nikolas Valentine, a gambl
Audio Play, Big Finish Audio Drama, 2 pages
Published October 30th 1999 by Big Finish Productions

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Nicholas Whyte
There was nothing very special about Phantasmagoria, except that it shared a plot twist with The Stones of Blood and I thought got away with it better. The soundscape of London was quite nicely done, though the writers seemed confused about who Queen Anne's father was (making me wonder for a bit if this was supposed to be some parallel universe; but no, it was just a mistake). Since I was never a huge fan of Turlough, his presence here didn't really excite me.
A Bald Mage** Steve
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who
Dr who , classic sci fi elements and carry on Dick stand and deliver!!!.... 4.5/10
Danielle
I gave it three instead of four stars only because for half of the book it was really hard for me to follow what was going on. Once I put all the pieces together it ended up being a very interesting adventure.
Raul
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
An entertaining audio drama set in 18th century London but with bounty hunting aliens, a tech deck of playing cards and a living spaceship!
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok i don't know why but this story dosen't seem to get much attention. Even though i think that this is a great story. It has some great characters and a superb cast. Plus decently good twist throughout the story. The plotline is quite good and Mark Gatiss also played quite well in this story. To me this is a good story from the first 15. Even though this is only the 2nd story from 1-15 i've listened to and to me is excellent and horribly underrated. To me it's a little gem and now most likely a ...more
Michael Holloway
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, sci-fi, audio
This is the first 'proper' Big Finish Doctor Who audio, and it shows.
The worst problem is the casting of David Walliams - he of perhaps one of the most distinctive voices in the UK - for two different roles. At one point one of his characters leaves a room only for the other to enter, which took several listens for me to understand. Similarly once you realise one of the characters is played by Mark Gatiss, he is all you can think of when the character speaks.
However, there is definite good in th
Joe Morrison
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
It wouldn’t be Cricket
After The Sirens of Time, and its multi Doctor complexities, Phantasmagoria feels very simplistic, but after Sirens this feels like a breath of fresh air. The story ambles along at a steady pace, the first three episodes building up to a satisfying pay off in the final episode, and feels like a missing story from the early 80’s. Both Peter Davidson and Mark Strickson sound like they have never been away, and the cast all help to make this a successful audio drama. Even the
Gregory Rothbard
dr. who is not only sci. fi but also can terrify one out of one's imagined phone booth
Jeffrey
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
The Doctor and Turlough land in early 18th century London, where they encounter a city haunted by ghosts, people disappearing, and two mysterious characters: a card player and a highwayman, lay in wait for the unsuspecting.

This is arguably the first real Doctor Who audio adventure in the Big Finish line as their first one was a multi-Doctor affair and this one sets the model for what has become hundreds of adventures since. The set-up is pretty solid with multiple threads slowly weaving together
Leanne
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it

Phantasmagoria is another stunning audio drama from Big Finish, this time featuring the Fifth Doctor and Turlough stuck in 1702, where phantoms appear to be killing the living. I noticed a few similarities between it and a Gatiss story for New Who, The Unquiet Dead. The acting is top notch as always, as was the entire production quality. I found the story to be suspenseful, intriguing, and well written. Some clues were rather obvious to me, while others seemed like quite the logical jump. But in

Noah Soudrette
Apr 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, audio
Lets get to the one strong point in this play: Peter Davidson. While I was never a huge fan of his portrayal of the Doctor during the JNT era, he really shines in these audios, thanks to his time-given maturity and some better scripts to be honest. That said, it IS the story which is the real sore point here. Honestly, it makes no sense and is simply an excuse for a period romp with spooky elements. Still, many of the characters here are highly enjoyable and do make the ride through the pointles ...more
Kelly McCubbin
May 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
5th Doctor, Turlough - My least favorite of the early batch of these. Davison is a wonderful Doctor poorly served by this oddly shapeless mess. The bad guy is telegraphed a mile away and it's sense of it's period of 1702 England(written by current TV who scribe, Mark Gattiss, who has made some real period stinkers over the last several years) is more Monty Python than anything else. I defy you not to think of Dennis Moore and his lupins while listening to this. Also, note to Big Finish, running ...more
Wendy
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it
A solid, if unexceptional, 5th Doctor and Turlough story. There are a few oddities and false notes that I tend to chalk up to everyone getting settled in, since this is only the second Big Finish Doctor Who story. Although, I know that my memories of Turlough's time on the show aren't the best, but I really don't remember him being as obsessed with food as he is in this audio. Wasn't it Adric who was always hungry? Makes one wonder.

I also think the story feels a bit under-length - I wouldn't ha
Matt
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I was ready to give this 2/5 until the last part, which has a pretty cool twist and really picks up the story. Overall, Phantasmagoria is middle of the road, but it is still fun and worth a listen. I think Peter Davison is much stronger as the Doctor now than he was on TV, and Turlough is solid as well. It's a bit muddled at times and a bit hard to follow, but the good outweighs the bad. Still nothing to write home about.
A rather jolly period romp by Mark Gatiss and including David Walliams in the cast. I'm not at all familiar with Turlough the Peter Davison Doctor's companion but it makes a nice change for him to have a lone man tagging along. It is certainly atmospheric with its recreation of gambling London and the story worked for me with some good surprises.
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tossed, kept, audio
Fifth Doctor and Turlough arrive in the early 1800's in London. Someone is killing off intelligent (and not-so intelligent) rich people. This has to be stopped,

Turlough is actually enjoyable in this one; although his main character motivation seems to be to stuff himself. That said, very interesting story.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A marked improvement over Big Finish's first Doctor Who audio drama, this one follows the fifth Doc and Turlough into 18th century England, where a mysterious Sir Valentine invites people to play a game of cards with him, but appears to be playing a more sinister game in reality. Some great characters, a chilling plot unravelled with many exciting twists along the way.
Taksya
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Seconda avventura audio della Bigh Finish, con il Quinto Dottore e Turlough, senza infamia e senza lode.
La storia in sé è interessante, ambientata nella Londra del 1700, tra presenze aliene, fantasmi e morti misteriose. L'intreccio sembra a volte ancora in fase di rodaggio, come se non avessero trovato il giusto mix.
Essendo la seconda prova è comunque una prova riuscita.
Jo Koc
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would call all the big fish audio books of Doctor Who more audio (radio) drama than audio books, since the narrative aspect of actions and sounds are being replaced my sound effects. However it works perfectly.
Angela
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
The Doctor and Turlough land in 17th Century London, and people are disappearing. Are there ghosts or is there science behind it. This is a decent outing for the first solo doctor audio. The characters were well written, and the supporting cast were fun if slightly stereotypical. A good listen.
Steven Shinder
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was the second Doctor Who production by Big Finish, and I am quite surprised about the instant improvement in quality. The audio landscape and story are much better than that of The Sirens of Time!
Ron Sadowski
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Audio Book 8-27-2011
Bronwen
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, tv, audio
This wasn't particularly memorable either.
Xavier Granville
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Decent plot and characters, wasn't huge on it overall but I thought it was a great way to bring back 5th and Turlough, who I thought together had a wonderful chemistry on the show.
Kate Sherrod
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
A delightful, fop-filled historical set at the turn of the 18th century. Turlough's side adventure with a local is especially fun.
Meredith
Classic Who where there's something that appears to be supernatural and turns out to be technology beyond the ken of the particular era.

Turlough is growing on me, too.

Debra Cook
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
It was a interesting story. Hard to follow in the beginning but got better as it went along. I recommend.
Marshall Richard
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Audio play. A little bit diferent.
Steven
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who, plays, british
The Fifth Doctor and Turlough investigate mysterious goings-on at the Diabola Club in London, 1702, where patrons are disappearing after losing at cards to the mysterious Sir Nikolas Valentine.
Tom Jones
  • Doctor Who: Omega
  • Doctor Who: The Land of the Dead
  • Doctor Who: Caerdroia
  • Doctor Who: Davros
Mark Gatiss (born 17 October 1966) is an English actor, screenwriter and novelist. He is best known as a member of the comedy team The League of Gentlemen, and has both written for and acted in the TV series Doctor Who and Sherlock.

Fulfilling a lifelong dream, Gatiss has written three episodes for the 2005-revived BBC television series Doctor Who. His first, "The Unquiet Dead", aired on 9 April 20
More about Mark Gatiss...

Big Finish Monthly Range (1 - 10 of 230 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time