Start by marking “New Year's Day (The Seventies)” as Want to Read:
New Year's Day (The Seventies)

New Year's Day

(Old New York #4)

Society thinks little of Mrs. Lizzie Hazeldean's apparent affair with the unmarried Henry Prest. As it turns out, society's understanding of the affair is uninformed and insensitive.
Published 1924 by D. Appleton

To ask other readers questions about New Year's Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Year's Day

Start your review of New Year's Day (The Seventies)
Connie G
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, fiction
"New Year's Day" is the last of four novellas in Edith Wharton's collection "Old New York". Set in 1870s New York City, it shows the predicament of Lizzie Hazeldean, a young woman in high society who has no way of earning her own money. Her husband is weak with a heart condition. Lizzie is seen coming out of a hotel on New Year's Day and society matrons start to talk about her. Lizzie's story is scandalous and sad, but it is also filled with a great love. Edith Wharton is known for her writings ...more
Melissa
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little novella is part of a series written by Wharton called Old New York. There are four pieces in the series, each set in one decade of the 1800s. I wish I’d known this before reading it, because I would have preferred to read them in order as a set. The copy I have includes only the final novella.

• False Dawn (The 'Forties)
• The Old Maid (The 'Fifties)
• The Spark (The 'Sixties)
• New Year's Day (The 'Seventies)

Society is scandalized by an assumed affair between a married woman,
Annie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: happy-holidays
I found a copy of this in old collection of Edith Wharton at My Library. I wanted to read because there aren't a lot books with New Years Day as the setting by celebrated authors. While only the beginning is on New Year's Day, it is well worth reading. Perfect length, longer story would have become tiresome Beautiful descriptions, books feature heavily in the story, and good plot twist at the end.
Elena
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Edith Wharton's female lead is always graceful, charming, poised but somehow unliked by a bigger portion of New York's high society, which makes readers sympathize with her. Lizzie form this novella fits this portrayal perfectly. And I think she's so far my favorite Wharton woman.
Dawn
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book at the annual library booksale. Something about it called to me - maybe the compact size of it, the dark blue hardcover with a simple title label stuck onto the upper part of the cover. In fact, I think it was one of those books that I saw on my way to check out. You can see countless old books at a library book sale. Each one with some sort of history that you likely won't ever know. Who had this book before me? And before them?

I did not realize that the copy I picked up
Elyssa (Elyssa's Editions)
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first book I read this year was New Year’s Day by Edith Wharton. I had never read anything by her before and I really adored her style of writing. The story follows first a little boy who sees an affair on New Year’s Day... or rather the aftermath of a presumed affair... and the women involved in said affair. There was a twist in the book that I really found satisfying and surprising, especially given the time period it was written (1920s) and the time period for which it was set (1870s). I ...more
Txe Polon
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-other
Interesante narración enmarcada entre el primer y el último capítulo, en la cual se pone de relieve la falsedad de las apariencias, la mala intención que tergiversa la realidad y el estatismo social que se niega a ver otras formas de comportarse socialmente y que justifican lo reprobable.
Allison Long
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I found this amongst the boxes of books moved into the new house and thought it was appropriate to begin reading at the start of 2016. Like most of her stories, New Year's Day is oddly compelling in a totally Wharton-esque way and examines what people do for love.
LB
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
The story has some elements of "The Age of Innocence", but overall, I wouldn't grade it that high. Well-written, very Wharton-like, yet the theme appears to be a bit weak to me.
Judith
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisite Edith Wharton. A glimpse into the character of a rare, independent-minded woman in the waning Victorian era of the 1870's in upper-class New York society.
Nicole

• The Adventure of the Three Gables
  • Shingles for the Lord
  • The Adventure of the Lion's Mane
  • The Tall Men
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the ...more

Old New York (4 books)
  • False Dawn
  • The Old Maid: The 'Fifties (Modern Library Classics)
  • The Spark (The 'Sixties)
“She was BAD . . . always. They used to meet at the Fifth Avenue Hotel," said my mother, as if the scene of the offence added to the guilt of the couple whose past she was revealing.” 0 likes