Start by marking “Monsters on the March (Scary School, #2)” as Want to Read:
Monsters on the March (Scary School, #2)

Monsters on the March

(Scary School #2)

As winners of last year's Ghoul Games, the students of Scary School are off to Monster Forest. School may be scary, but the forest has a few frights of its own, including:

Bearodactyls—so terrifying we can't even show you pictures of them
Princess Zogette, the Monster King's toad-faced daughter, who falls for Charles Nukid . . . hard
Captain Pigbeard, fearsome leader of the M
Published June 26th 2012 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Monsters on the March, please sign up.
Jessyka St James Charles Nukid. And Derek the ghost is the narrator. So many fun characters! I recommend reading with your child!

Aeicha
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
THREE WORDS: Kooky, Spooky, Fun

MY REVIEW: Scary School #1 was one of my favorite MG reads last year, so I was super stoked to read the next book in the series. And this second installment does not disappoint! It not only captures the spooky-fun essence of the first book, it takes things to a whole new level of whimsy and awesomeness.

The students of Scary School are about to collect their reward for winning the Ghoul Games: a trip to Monster Forest to meet the Monster King, King Zog. And the Mons
R.J. Gonzales
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After winning The Ghoul Games in the first book, the students are preparing to meet the Monster King, a man who is incredibly harsh—but never rude. Along the way, a little mishap causes Charles NuKid to be lost in the Monster Forest where he rescues Princess Zogette, the daughter of the King, and unintentionally sets into motion a war that threatens the fate—both living and undead—of the extraordinary students of Scary School.

I must say upfront that this second installment in the series is my fa
Jessica
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Last year I raved over the first book in the Scary School series. It took me back to my days as a young reader, visiting Wayside School and giggling up a storm at the zany antics of the characters. Needless to say, Monsters on the March had a lot to live up to! I was looking forward to more adventures with my favorite students, and definitely looking forward to a wacky read. Luckily this second installment far surpassed what I was hoping for. I couldn't get enough!

Derek the Ghost, our lovable gh
Julianna Helms
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
**Actual, full review** Original is here on my blog. (Note: due to copy-and-paste,formatting and links have been lost. Also, my brother and I reviewed this book together since he is in the recommended age group for this story.)

A hilarious, thrilling ride of a story, Scary School: Monsters on the March proves once again why, despite the "cool stuff that's not real," as my brother Roark would say, the awesomeness of this book is real.

Monsters on the March begins in the school year following the fi
Carla-Book Monster Reviews
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Scary School 2 Monsters on the March by Derek the Ghost and illustrated by Scott M. Fischer is the second in a series of hilarious books about a variety of students, some human but most not, who attend Scary School for a variety of reasons. At the end of the first book, the students of Scary School won the Ghoul Competitions and their prize was a trip to meet King Zog, the Monster King in Albania. Now, the students were getting ready for their trip with much anticipation. The new school year als ...more
Mymcbooks
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My Review: In this funny sequel Derek the Ghost returns with new characters, adventure, actions, humor and mystery that will keep you laughing.

Charles Nukid is back with some old favorites and new characters to name a few, Tanya Tarantula and Bryce McCallister are some of the new students, Ms Hydra a giant lizard with nine fearsome head is a hall monitor, new teacher Mr. Grump the Elephant man who was surprised to see that he has hands and King Khufu the mummy.

In the sequel, Principal Headcrush
Michelle
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Monsters on the March had some big shoes to fill. I LOVED Scary School and I was looking for just as many, if not more, laughs from book 2. It did not disappoint. Monsters on the March is just as fun, zany, and flat out hilarious as book 1 was. If you have a child that will not read, give them the scary school series. They will be reading and laughing in no time.

This book features your same favorite students and monsters as Scary School had, along with a whole cast of new creatures. Also like s
Samantha
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While reading i loved the book and instead of reading for 30 minutes i read for 50 minutes each day i really loved that book and i am done reading it and i bearly got it on wedsenday and finished itbon saturday. I got it at the san jose libary in the shelf next to the comic books. So if you guys out there want to read it. And trust me i am pushing myself to read more books by this author.
Taspia Linti
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Scary School #2
Misty
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
my boys are loving this series.
Crystal ✬ Lost in Storyland
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of my favorite middle-grade fantasy series. Book one was about introducing us to the characters and the school. In a way, this book is much like the first. We are introduced to more characters and their stories, but this book follows a more stream-lined plot. There is a set "bad guy" with the monsters determined to take down Scary School, and the kids determined to protect it and the epic "romance" between Princess Zogette and Charles Nukid.

Boys will love this series for the action,
Ms. Yingling
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Charles Nukid is back after Scary School, and after freeing most of the school after they've spent the entire summer in the basement of a haunted house, is off with the school on a trip to Albania to visit Zog the Terrible (But always pleasant smelling). The school has won the trip, but it is fraught with peril-- Zog is a stickler for etiquette, and will maim or kill those who disobey! This is particularly difficult for Charles, because he has made Zogett, Zog's daughter, fall in love with him, ...more
Jodie
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own

A most fabulous, hilarious, and fun filled read! The second in this amazing and addictive series, Derek the Ghost leads you on yet another journey through the first semester at Scary School. This time around, we get to meet more delightfully creepy characters that are fascinatingly haunting and truthfully, I'm really not too sure I would actually want to meet, including a big, hairy tarantula. (UGH) With greatly detailed illustrations, it helps to add to your own imagination as the entire schoo
Marcie
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
f you're looking for a great book to get your kids, this is it! I read the first book, Scary School, with my kids last year. They both loved it! So when the next book, Scary School: Monsters on the March, came out both kids were excited to get back to Scary School and Derek the Ghost.
Scary School is not your average school. You'd never get eaten by a dragon, or cursed by a mummy, or go on a field trip to meet the Monster King in public school. However all that and more happens everyday at Scary
Lindis Russell
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I wish that I could go to Scary School! I love these books and in this one, I especially love Derek's play on other literature in the horror/creepy genre. Like Tom Riddle, Stephen King, even Forest Gump. And once again Derek teaches us that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and to try and find the good in everyone. Even a huge turantula named Tanya can be your friend. Except maybe for me, I'm and anacrophobiac! (sp?) Anyway, I hate spiders! The next time I find some extra money, I gotta b ...more
April
I am totally PRO-middle grade books where you can pick up the series in the middle and be just fine following along and not lost at all. This happened when I read Invisible Inkling: Dangerous Pumpkins by Emily Jenkins and also when I read Monsters On The March by Derek The Ghost and I just have to say THANK GOODNESS I do not have to take a lot of time out of my schedule to get all caught up on a series. Plus, I imagine that it’s nice for a middle grader to just be able to pick up a book. ANYWAYS ...more
Taha
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
-Yine illüstrasyonlarıyla birlikte, okuması eğlenceli bir kitap oldu:)
-Yazarın Stephen King referansı ("Steven Kingsley" isimli karakter aracılığıyla) ve Stephen King kitaplarına (Shining, It,...) yaptığı göndermeler nedense beni çok etkiledi:)
-Harry Potter'da Dumbuledore'un küçük Tom Riddle'ı yetimhanede ziyaret ettiği bir bölüm vardı. Bu kitapta da okul müdürü "Tim Puzzle" (isim benzetmesi çok hoş olmuş bu arada) ismindeki büyücü bir çocuğu yine yetimhanede ziyaret edip okuluna katılmasını ist
Jess
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
This might appeal to youngish readers who like madcap fantasy with monsters, ghosts, etc. but not much logic. I haven't read the first book, but this seems to stand alone well enough. It's just not my style at all, the humor fell flat for me (and I think some of the references would go over the heads of the intended audience) and it was more a collection of over-the-top anecdotes than a fleshed out story.

Zoë Katherine Littlefield
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked this Scary School just as much as I liked the first one - but a bit better with the pit, the monsters and the forgetful Mr. Grump. I really do think Mr. Grump is the Golden Elephant. I wonder how many coconuts the monkey is growing now. I can't wait to read book 3. I really wonder what it's going to be like.
Alfreda Morrissey
It was funny, and clever. I enjoyed reading it to my 5 year old, but it didn't hold her attention as much as Kendra Kandlestar. She liked it, and would listen if I read, but didn't ask for it.

I thought it was clever that it referenced story lines of Stephen King, harry potter and such. It was amusing but not amazing.
Juniper Sparks
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Monsters on the March was a fascinating book with fairly short chapters told from Derek the Ghost's perspective. Derek the Ghost is an eleven year old ghost who writes about Scary School. The story was hilarious and the characters were brilliant. There are also cool drawings in the book.
PWRL
Jan 15, 2013
Anne
May 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Derek is an eleven-year-old ghost who haunts the classrooms and hallways of Scary School, writing down all the spine-tingling often hilarious things that go on there. Despite his ghostly state, Derek still enjoys reading comic books and hopes to one day become a master ninja. If that doesn’t work out, he will continue to share the fun of this very special, very secret school, so all kids can exper ...more

Scary School (4 books)
  • Scary School
  • The Northern Frights (Scary School, #3)
  • Zillions of Zombies (Scary School, #4)