Jump to ratings and reviews

The Evolutionary War #1

Vaempires: Revolution

It is the morning of Princess Cassandra's sixteenth birthday. Everyone's attention is focused on the heir to the vampire throne. World leaders, the rich and famous, and VIPs from every corner of the globe have gathered in the nation's capital to celebrate the momentous event.
Cassandra's boyfriend, Daniel, is late for the party. He's still outside the city when all hell breaks loose. What he believes is an act of terrorism proves to be a full-fledged revolution. Vaempires-former vampires who mutated into warm-blooded creatures with an insatiable hunger for cold blood-have launched coordinated attacks across the globe, with three goals: the eradication of humanity, the enslavement of vampires, and the ascension of vaempires as the dominant species on the planet.
The vampire and human leaders are killed. Cassandra is missing. Daniel is the acting king. Desperate to find the princess, Daniel and his friends fight their way across the besieged city. With the hopes of the free world resting on the shoulders of four vampire teenagers, vaempires unleash their secret weapon: a new breed of vaempire that is far deadlier than any ever seen before.
What can four teens do against an enemy that can shape-shift, fly, and walk through walls?"

216 pages, Paperback

First published October 28, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Thomas Winship

8 books89 followers
Thomas Winship lives in New York. He currently serves as MBA Director for a private liberal arts college in southern New York, where he also teaches courses in English Composition, Communications, and Business. Prior to this, he spent fifteen years working for a global pharmaceutical company, specializing in organizational development, talent management, and training.

Tom writes in his spare time. His first novel, Temporary Insanity, was a 2008 finalist in a national contest but failed to garner industry attention. Væmpires: Revolution, his second novel (first in the Væmpires series) and Væmpires: White Christmas were published in 2011. His latest work, Væmpires: Zombie Rising, was published in late 2012.

He is an avid collector of books, comic books, music, and movies. His interests are diverse: on any given day, Tom is likely to be found watching a horror movie, attending a hard rock concert, or enjoying a Broadway show.

He is currently working on the next installment of the “Væmpires” series.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (3%)
1 star
4 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 58 reviews
Profile Image for Jackie.
3,474 reviews113 followers
January 23, 2016
Book Synopsis

It is the morning of Princess Cassandra’s sixteenth birthday. Everyone’s attention is focused on the heir to the vampire throne. World leaders, the rich and famous, and VIPs from every corner of the globe have gathered in the nation’s capital to celebrate the momentous event.

Cassandra’s boyfriend, Daniel, is late for the party. He’s still outside the city when all hell breaks loose. What he believes is an act of terrorism proves to be a full-fledged revolution. Væmpires—former vampires who mutated into warm-blooded creatures with an insatiable hunger for cold blood—have launched coordinated attacks across the globe, with three goals: the eradication of humanity, the enslavement of vampires, and the ascension of væmpires as the dominant species on the planet.

The vampire and human leaders are killed. Cassandra is missing. Daniel is the acting king. Desperate to find the princess, Daniel and his friends fight their way across the besieged city. With the hopes of the free world resting on the shoulders of four vampire teenagers, væmpires unleash their secret weapons—væmpires with special powers.

What can four teens do against an enemy that can shape-shift, fly, or walk through walls?

My Thoughts

Ready for chills and thrills and lots of gory action packed scenes? Stop right now and find a copy of this intense and fast paced read!

I went into reading this one knowing full well it was going to be dark, bloody and at times even a bit gruesome. Knowing and reading are two very different things, this book grabbed me, took me deep into the world built oh so carefully by the author and did not let me out until the last page was turned. I rooted for Cassie and Daniel, booed the evil creatures that they battled, was totally disgusted by the actions of the villain who orchestrated the attacks and was utterly horrified at the way the book ended!
There is nothing quite like reading something so action packed, it is better than seeing it on the big screen because your imagination is allowed to absorb the scenarios in vivid detail as they happen without the distraction of having to actually watch the brain matter and blood splatter that special effects would use in a movie!

Fans of darker Urban Fantasy will love this start to the authors series, fans of teens with brains and more courage than common sense will enjoy the main characters as well! It pains me now to wait for the second book to release but have a feeling it will be worth it to find out what happens after the mind blowing cliff hanger that ended this book.

[This book was won from author in a blog giveaway but that in no way affected the books review.]
April 22, 2012
Its really not fair to end a novel with such a cliffhanger..its "Catching Fire" all over again. I was so angry with Suzanne Collins, when she finished it like that. Now, I am angry with Thomas Winship too.

The plot was set in a futuristic world. Humans mutated to vampires and there started a war of power called H-V War, meaning Human-Vampire War. This war was also called as The Great Devastation or World War III. The After Devastation (AD) years of H-V War ended up with the some peace makings and renaming of Earth as Tarados - Earth Two and the vampires becoming the leaders.

For years, the humans and vampires were living peacefully helping one another, although vampires ruled. The vampires were given synthetic blood to quench their thirst, so that they doesn't harm anyone. Then the mutation hit - and the Væmpires came along. These new species thirsted for vampire blood.

The story begins with how these Væmpires start a war destroying all humans and vampires along the way, draining the blood from vampires. Some of the Væmpires also have some special powers, like flying, reading the minds, killing with a touch, etc. So, one can imagine how cruel the war will be. The King, Queen and most of the royalty is also killed. But, Princess Cassandra, who is celebrating her sixteenth birthday on that day escapes somehow. So is Daniel, Cassandra's boyfriend and the son of the leader of the Royal Guard, and now is the acting King until Cassandra is coronated. Daniel's friends, Ray and Linq, also escapes the cruel Væmpires, fighting along the way.

These four friends do not know whether the other one is alive or dead and makes their way hoping to win the war. With their parents killed, these teenager have to win the war, save the remaining people and above all, stay alive in the process.

The plot was new and refreshing in the vampire genre. The writing and story-telling are great. This novel is all about war, so violence and blood dominates the plot than romance. Taking responsibility and tough decisions is not an easy task even for heroes, but Daniel is great on that perspective. Cassandra is brave, beautiful and intelligent. The stories of Ray and Linq are not explained, so I expect them to be in the scene in the next book. I really can't wait to read the next!

Well-written, face-paced and imaginative take on vampires!
Profile Image for Wynne Channing.
Author 2 books307 followers
June 22, 2012
The extra "e" is for extraordinary…and maybe evisceration.

In the first pages of Vaempires: Revolution, you are launched into a bloody war between vampires and mutants. The opening scene is one of "broken bodies draped across hoods like grisly ornaments." It's chaos and carnage.

Welcome to Thomas Winship's thrilling world of vicious immortals and brave soldiers. His fast-moving, cinematic story is punctuated by vivid fight scenes where Winship's young hero fights to reach an endangered vampire princess. It pauses long enough for you to relate to the characters and to reflect on issues of racism and alienation, before rushing into another gruesome battle.

Go for the ride. Remember to breathe.
Profile Image for Robert Zimmermann.
Author 6 books164 followers
September 9, 2012
Wow, just wow! This book started out with a bang and that bang never seemed to stop.

What I especially liked is that Winship cut most of the set up for the story into a few paragraphs. The description you see for this book is a brief intro before Chapter One. This gave me, as a reader, enough to set up what was going on when the first chapter jumped into Daniel's story. I think without cutting the back story down like that, the book would have dragged on a bit, been longer, and may have had a different overall effect on me. This book is about forward momentum, and when that's stopped the enjoyment does too. But it didn't occur.

By the middle of this book I knew what I wanted for Christmas this year. I wanted the powers of these Vampires. Essentially, when I read the battle scenes I pictured Daniel, the main character, as is her were Wolverine from X-men. Most of the abilities are the same, and when you add the ability Vampires have of being in the sun (due to consuming synth-blood instead of real blood) they are even more similar. This is in no way saying Daniel, and these vampires in general, are rip-offs of this ultimate fighting machine Wolverine. But it helps put into perspective just how much action and devastation occurs during the many fights Daniel gets in to. He has to race through the city of Orion a few times in order to achieve his goal of saving the Princess Cassandra.

Aside from all the action that is included within these pages there are some underlying issues that are brought up. This story takes place in a future, much altered world. It's still the Earth, but a human-vampire war has taken place, nuclear winter, continental shifting, and the dominate race has become Vampires. On top of that a new race is present. Vaempires. Having three races walking the Earth, or Tarados as it's now referred to, will bring conflict. Race conflict is a huge theme in the book. At times when different characters' viewpoints were being brought into play, I began to sympathize with all sides. Even the Vaempires who started the current war. It brings to mind that if we don't all treat the races of our current world equally and humanly...something like this (without the super-human powers) could happen in our life time. Just because a group of people are different doesn't mean they are less of a person. In the defense of the Vampires, the Vaempires are said to be inherently less stable minded and were impatient in the government's actions to adapt to the new race's presence.

Off of that topic and on to a very bad a** character. Daniel was my favorite butt-kicker for most of the book until later one. Cassie can really hold her own in a fight. Some of the stuff she does would make more action heroes hang their heads in shame. And it's not only her fighting. Her will-power and ability to keep a clear mind in a difficult situation is enviable.

What else is there to say about this book other than I loved? I think the mix of genres are worth mentioning. This is part sci-fi, post(-post)-apocalyptic, vampire, action-adventure, (minor) romance, urban fantasy. It's a bit mixture of different elements that fit very well together. I think it'd appeal to lowers of many genres as well as many different reading levels. While most of the gory battles and other violence will probably consider this a more adult book, I also think it could be read by a younger reader (with a parent's permission of course). I think the younger readers will really enjoy the action and almost comic book feel to it. Along with that....can we make this thing into a video game? I don't normally feel that way about a book, but I think it'd be great.

One thing I "disliked" about the book, to finish off the review. The cliff-hanger ending. It's a cliff-hanger!!!! I'm a so happy I read this book when I did because it's only about a month until Vaempires: Zombie Rising is released. At least the wait isn't very long and I still have the novella Vaempires: A White Christmas to read until then.
Profile Image for J. Sharp.
Author 8 books42 followers
July 9, 2012
So, first...I loved this book! Mr. Winship gets right to the action, in medias res, and the coup is in full force. I didn't need to slug through exposition explaining what vaempires are and where they came from. I got to learn all about it while the story moves quickly along. I don't mind exposition when it is meted out to me, as in Vaempires, but when it is thrown at me like an info dump, I tire of it really quickly. Mr. Winship was very careful about how he explained the world that existed in his book and made me more and more interested as I read. This a show of great talent and I was really impressed.

Next, I loved the characters in this book. Cassandra, heir to the throne, is a powerful female lead character. I have to give Mr. Winship credit for putting together a female lead that is vulnerable but doesn't roll over when she is faced with some impossible situations. She doesn't need a bad-ass male character to save her. I also really like Daniel who is so desperate to find Cassandra. He is just the very bad-ass male character I was talking about before, but he's so cool, and the situations that he finds himself in are so harrowing, I was rooting for him all the way to the end.

One of the things that I liked about this book, that may not be to everyone's liking, was that it was filled with the bloody violence you would expect when vampires battle mutated vaempires. I liked it because Mr. Winship did not flinch when he wrote the book. He didn't worry that everyone wouldn't like the violence. I like that in a writer. Bravery. This is definitely an adult book in the violence department, though it is about teenagers.

Last, I must give Mr. Winship high marks in originality. He has a "rescuing the princess" plot and gives it a twist because it's about vampires. This twist has taken both the vampire story and the princess captivity story and given them both a great shot in the arm. Really original!

The only thing that I didn't like about this book was the ending. Without giving away the plot, I'll just say that the story didn't come to a satisfactory close for me. It is obvious that the story can and will continue, but it could have had a better "wrapping up" of events, in my opinion.

No matter, this book Vaempires: Revolution is a great time and I would recommend it to anyone who loves horror, heroic fantasy, and something that combines the two into a purely original way. Mr. Winship has a new fan and his name is me.
Profile Image for Maghon Thomas.
1,270 reviews1 follower
June 1, 2012
Ok let me see if I can explain without spoilers. Vampires and humans live in a post apocalyptic world together and vaempires are a mutated version of vampires. Hehe the vampires are the good guys and vaempires are monsters. There are two points of view- Cassie and Daniel. Cassie is the princess and Daniel is a royal guard (her guard) who happen to secretly love each other…. And the tragedy strikes!! PS you get a small glimpse of this in the prequel-no worries I’ll talk about that too

This book is not like the typical vampire books. It’s a very survivalistic, action packed, fast read. And the whole time is based on the day of the doomed attacking of the Princess’s birthday celebration. It’s very well written and makes me want to change my mind and be a vampire! I was at first reluctant, as there is always a brooding male vampire in love with a human girl, and blah, blah, blah, romance… NO!! This is not that kinda thing. After the crazy humans (yep, we are crazy and you know it) declared war (with pretty much everything, including the vampires) they launched some nuclear bombs (STUPID) which took out half the planet and killed most of the population of both humans and vampires. For those who happen to survive, they have worked out a way to all live together peacefully, or so they thought.

There are a few things that are going on, and I REALLY like the supporting characters, which you meet in the prequel, and see glimpses of in here. I am seriously hoping to see more of them. I think I have the hots for one of them, hint- it’s Ray LOL And THAT ENDING!!! How ya gunna do that to me! I always say I’m a fan of well placed cliff hangers and THIS IS ONE- so fair warning lol I think I was a little devastated and shocked, but at the same time, I’m not… I dunno how to explain this. I will definitely be picking up book 2 as I cannot wait to see how it’s going to play out!! Will Daniel finally rescue his princess or will too many dangers keep them apart! Boy oh boy! Great one!! 5 paws
Profile Image for Cameo.
Author 49 books1,612 followers
August 17, 2012
First of all...OMGOODNESS!!! That book was a trip!!! I was given Vaempires: Revolution by the author, Thomas Winship, and am so glad I had the chance to read it. Okay...this book might not be for the faint. It is VERY graphic. If you love blood and gore, then you'll be just fine! I LOVED IT ~ Every blood pooling, eyeball popping, neck slicing, viceral splattering...bit! Yes, I'm a bit crazy like that. LOL Author, Thomas Winship is a mastermind in his new world. It is dark, it is scary, and riddled with not only vampires, but mutated vampires now spelled vaempires. Notice the extra "e". They are two, very different, creatures. The extra thumb really creeped me out. You'll have to read to find out more about that! So, I don't want to ramble, or give anything else away, but this book is FULL of action. I found myself sitting up, heart pounding, going through the fight sequence with the main character, and then...WHAM!!! It was over...with a cliffhanger!!! Thank you Mr. Winship!!! But, thank GOD I also had the prequel, Vaempires: A White Christmas to read! That is another AWESOME read! I will be anxiously waiting for the next...All I can say is... buy the books! You won't be sorry!
Profile Image for Nikki Jefford.
Author 60 books982 followers
July 17, 2012
Earth is now called Tarados, New York Orion and a new land mass has emerged following the rise of water levels. The time is the future – hovercrafts, high tech communication links, all that fun futuristic stuff – and vampires and humans live peacefully side by side.

Or they did till mutant vampires: vaempires with an “e” that is, launched a full-fledged attack on the world and all its non-mutant inhabitants.

Vaempires is action packed from page one. The fight scenes are some of the most descriptive I’ve ever read and reminiscent of the Matrix. Just add a dash of super powered and zombie vampires into the mix and you've got yourself a read you can't turn away from.

This is one gore fest that’s going to leave you thirsty for more.

***

Favorite humorous lines: (Not wanting to worry about finding synth-blood for the child vampires Daniel rescues). “Besides, inevitably, someone would be allergic to AB positive, and someone else would have parents who refused to let them drink O. It just wasn’t worth the effort.”

(Cause this is the future and people drive in hovercrafts.) “The poster on the rear wall stated “Danger – Beware of Objects Falling From Overhead Vehicles.”
Profile Image for Christie Rich.
Author 17 books341 followers
June 6, 2012
The first thing I thought about this book was, "Vaempires? Why is there an e in there?"

The questions kept coming in this action packed thrill ride through the post appocolyptic world Thomas Winship created. I'm not usually into books that strattle the edge of horror. My vampire exposure has mostly beed those of the sparkling kind, so this whole idea of Vampires who are cold blooded undead, and Vaempires who are a mutation to warm blooded super vamps intrigued me.

From the very first page you are immersed in the war that the Vaempires have unleashed on humans and vampires alike. Some of the images are haunting to say the least, and me being the squeemish sort, I found myself skimming some of the fight scenes toward the end because I am a wimp like that.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed my read, and the story kept me turning pages until the climactic end. Mr. Winship, really? You had to leave it there? Just kidding. I love cliff-hanger endings, and this one is major. So there you have it. Great book, and I can't wait to see more from this amazing author!
Profile Image for Danielle Forrest.
Author 14 books103 followers
June 26, 2013
I'm going to take a deep, hopefully calming breath here and try to come down off this agitated high I'm on that makes me absolutely incapable of sitting, typing, or editing. I can't seem to decide on a book to read and though I got my book back from my first beta reader, I can't seem to focus long enough to take a look at what she had to tell me. I keep pacing my house, wearing holes in my carpet as I alternately praise and foam at the mouth over this book. It is a book where you can't decide whether you love it or hate it. But either way, it's phenomenal. I can't remember the last time I read something so good. It doesn't just affect your mind or your emotions, it affects you on a visceral level. Now, if I could only calm down...

Oh my god, the beginning of this story is friggin awesome, man! Action packed, gruesome, and somewhat disturbing with a dark sense of humor that just makes me smile. Page five and I have a hard time pulling away to take down my thoughts so I won't forget them. Intense, gripping, addicting. I feel like my eyes want to be sucked into the page. Just finished the first chapter and the last line gave me chills. This book is tense. You can actually feel the tension in your own muscles as he races through the city. I felt like the tension let up a bit over time (maybe simply because you can't spend so much time with your heart in your throat).

I like how he ends some of these chapters, breath held, trapped in your lungs as you wait for the blow to fall, racing through the next chapter to see what fate awaits. Enough to give a girl shivers. Damn, why did I wait so long to pick up this book?

As I read the story, I couldn't help feeling sorry for the vampire race, though. Really, really sorry. I just can't help feeling they're doomed. With the king and queen dead, their fates are in the hands of a couple of fifteen year olds who can't seem to follow their lifetime's worth of training for more than a few seconds at a time.

Daniel was apparently trained to follow in his father's footsteps, with advanced hand to hand and tactical training. You'd think his first instincts would be to ensure the safety of the royal family and the stability of government. But more often than not, he runs around like a chicken with his head chopped off, only thinking about what's right in front of him rather than the greater good.

Cassie is no better. After the city is attacked (or really during the attack), she hears messages from Daniel, warnings, telling her to get to safety. Does she do that? No. Of course not. She spends a short eternity tending the dead. You would think her first priority would be getting out of potentially hostile territory (territory anyone with a brain would be concerned might still have hostiles) and making contact with military and heads of state, coordinating evacuations and safe havens, but no, she spends an hour looking for body parts. Then later, does she call in enforcements to help out Daniel? No, she goes in all alone, even though two of their best friends are armed and less than a half an hour away.

That being said, though their actions and their illogical thinking chaffed me raw, I wouldn't necessarily say it was unrealistic. Sometimes people do act stupidly in a crisis, going against their training and anything else they might do in a calm, controlled situation. It drove me nuts. I wanted to strangle them then drag them out of the situation kicking and screaming, but unrealistic? Who knows? Nobody knows how they'll respond in a crisis.

Onto a few other comments. Water levels rise as polar ice melts, not when it grows (as was mentioned in the book)... Also, pet peeve of mine. Fresh bodies don't smell of "death." They've had no chance to decay. The most you would smell is blood and excrement. You wouldn't even smell urine as it takes hours for urine to break down to ammonia. Just sayin'. I also find it odd that a 15 year old kid, no matter how well trained by comparison to his foes, is plowing through his enemies (enemies that are by definition even stronger than adult vampires) as if they were tissue paper. He rarely gets injured, he frequently takes on two or three at a time. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me… One of the first things I learned about fighting is you can't fight if you're afraid of getting hit. You have to be close enough to take a blow in order to land a blow. Learned that from someone ex-military, I believe. Simply put, no matter how good you are, you're going to take blows on a regular basis and with claws involved, you're going to get cut… a lot.

WARNING: To avoid sudden cardiac arrest, I have included a spoiler (of sorts) in the next paragraph. It isn't really a spoiler of this book, but of a single detail of the second. It is to give those who need it a certain level of peace of mind which only really applies if you actually read this book. I was so stressed at the end, I had to know and I scoured the entirety of the second book trying to find that little tidbit so I could breathe again and not feel like my heart was in my chest. It kind of gave me a fit that the detail I was looking for was within a couple of sentences of the ending of book two. I don't think I would have survived that long. I think I would have had a coronary, swear to God.

I both loved and hated the ending. Winship makes you so thoroughly invested in the characters (even if I kept thinking they were acting with unparalleled stupidity) that I was so glad I had book 2 on kindle so I could search for a specific character's name to see what fate befell the person because I was stressed and pulling my hair out wondering if the person would live or die. This is the one time I feel it is my civic duty to give a bit of a spoiler. The person, who you will bite your tongue worrying about, who you will likely read all of book two assuming is dead while praying to any gods available that the person isn't, will twitch at the end of book two so don't have a coronary. Now that I found that little bit of coveted information, I think a panic attack is no longer imminent. Thank God.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jeanie Grey.
Author 10 books47 followers
December 10, 2012
My rating: 3.5 stars (but they'll only let you do whole stars here, so we'll round it up to 4)

Vaempires: Revolution begins in the middle of an uprising. Not as the first shot is fired, not as the last body falls to the ground--right in the middle of the action. Love this choice. Right away I know I'm in for something original.

The book takes place hundreds--perhaps even thousands of years--in the future. Not only post-apocalypse, but post-rebuilding-post-apocalypse. Humans have destroyed themselves, brought on a nuclear winter, survived an ice age. Vampires have evolved. There's already been a long period of war between humans and vampires that ended in a peaceful treaty with the two races ruling side-by-side. And now, centuries after the treaty, a new race of beings has evolved from the vampires called vaempires. Faster, stronger, warm-blooded and sometimes possessing abilities rivaling those of the X-Men, vaempires are fed up with being feared, ignored and neglected by the government and fellow citizens. They've decided to take matters into their own hands and rebel. But that all happens before this book even begins.

Vaempires: Revolution follows Daniel and Princess Cassandra--young lovers, vampires, and also now the world's leaders since their parents have been slaughtered--as they fight to survive a well-planned, coordinated attack on their capital city. Daniel is on one side of the city, attempting to stay alive while helping as many vampires and humans as he can find escape the slaughter. When he finds out that Cassie is in the city, he goes in search of her and just about gets himself killed in the process. Meanwhile Cassie's in the royal palace trying to find her mother's head so she can bury her properly when she runs into her ex-flame, Vielyn, who, it turns out, is the vaempire who has masterminded this bloody revolution. All he needs now are the codes to the bunkers where the last of the world's nuclear weapons are kept. But of course Cassie won't give those up willingly.

Did I mention there are zombies?

Despite the fact that Vaempires: Revolution is more straight-up action-adventure--pretty much the entire book is one well-described, gory fight scene after another--and outside what I'd normally read, I liked this book. The premise is unique and engaging. It is an intense read (no fingernails left when I was done) that keeps up a swift pace. The main characters are three-dimensional and sympathetic--even, in my opinion, the villain Vielyn. And the feminist in me appreciated that Cassie turned out to be capable of taking care of herself rather than the angelic but ineffectual waif that Daniel sometimes seemed to think she was. And I didn't expect the ending at all. Hats off to Thomas Winship.

**SPOILER ALERT** Do not read past this point if you don't want spoilers.

There are two main reasons I gave this book only three and a half stars.

First, I got confused about how powerful vaempires really were. In the beginning of the book they're described as fairly invincible, but then Daniel seems to be on par with them because he keeps winning. His wins aren't really based on cunning, either. Vaempires are supposed to be faster, smarter, and far more powerful than vampires, but then Daniel takes the shok pak and they don't even see him coming? I would have thought it would just put him at the same level of speed and strength as them.

And then in the palace, Cassie is pretty helpless again Vielyn, but then she's able to defeat Simeon even though he has the ability become incorporeal? I'm not buying it. Don't get me wrong: I love that fight scene in the dungeon, and the way it ends is not only believable but satisfying...but I didn't get the impression that Vielyn was any more powerful than Simeon, so why should Cassie have no chance against Vielyn?

And I suppose I was confused too about how powerful vampires vs. zombies are supposed to be in the book. I don't get why Daniel on a shok pak has such a tough time defeating the slow-moving zombies. I get that they just keep getting up, but how do they even get a punch in? Especially with him on a shok pak?? There's no way.

The second reason I only gave this book three and a half stars is because of all the fighting. Maybe I'm just not cut out to read this genre, but it seems to me that if some of the fights in the streets had been glossed over, the more major fight scenes would have packed more punch, so to speak. I was definitely engaged for a lot of the action, and I think Winship does a great job of describing the fights and being really present in them. I could clearly see each fight...sometimes even feel them! But I can only read so many gushing eyeballs and crunching bones, etc. etc. before I'm desensitized to it, frankly.

You know what I really wanted though? I really wanted some kind of exploration of what it means to be vampire or vaempire. I wanted being a vampire to mean something besides living off synth blood and fighting with claws and teeth. But perhaps that happens in Vaempires: White Christmas, which I understand is a YA novel and has almost no violence in it at all.

For all my complaining, though, this book has some marked strengths: namely the originality of premise and opening, skillful descriptions, and action-packed scenes. If you love a good eyeball-gushing, bone-crunching, blood-spurting fight scene, this book is definitely for you. You can buy the Kindle edition for $3.99 or the paperback for $9.95 on Amazon.com.

Disclaimer: I received a review copy of this book from the author.
Profile Image for Michelle.
1,250 reviews187 followers
May 26, 2012

From the moment I started Vaempires: Revolution I was hooked.  We jump straight into the action with a bloody and vicious fight scene, sparing no details about what is going on and this attention to detail was what kept me hooked all the way through the book.

You may look at Vaempires: Revolution and think 'not another vampire book', but you would be wrong in thinking this.  Vaempires: Revolution has a different breed of vampires.  We have the usual vampires that we all know and love, but synth blood (synthetic human blood) has allowed these vampires to evole to adapt to be able to withstand sun and make procreation possible.  Next we have Vaempires.  These are vampires that have evolved and become more stronger and quicker than the usual vampires and are now staging war in an attempt to gain power and control over everyone.

Vaempires: Revolution is told in two points of view, Daniel and Cassandra, who are dealing with the ongoing onslaught while also trying to find their families and each other.  These multiple points of view ensures we get to see two sides to the war from different perspective and see how each person is dealing with it.
From the moment Daniel is introduced I liked him.  He saves others from attack, both vampires and humans, and rescues children and leads them to safety, and at one point even risked never seeing Cassandra again to ensure the safety of others.  As we get to know Daniel more his age is revealed, and I was surprised with how young he was.  His actions and tough decisions make him seem older than what he actually is.  He acts older and more mature than his years.

I really liked getting to see Cassandra's point of view.  It was refreshing to see the thoughts of someone who is a main character but not used to violence and death.  I really admire how strong she is in carrying on though it all, and when it comes down to it she finds the strength to fight for what she loves.

The only thing that disappointed me was the ending.  How can you end a book like that with such a cliff hanger...it is so not fair and I really need to read the next book now!!!
I thoroughly enjoyed Vaempires: Revolution and Thomas has done a great job of dragging me into the world he has created and not letting go.  If you don't mind a bit of violence and gore in your books this is the perfect read.
Profile Image for Shah Wharton.
Author 6 books149 followers
May 21, 2012
My REVIEW:4/5

Action shot from the page from the inception and the race for Daniel - son of the head of the Royal Guard- to reach his Princess - Cassandra - was on. He took down all sorts of Vaempire cretins on his way through the streets of Orion; capital of the vampire territories and home to his sweetheart, Princess Cassandra. He even had time to save a few innocent civilians on his way.

Mr Winship managed to make me believe in the characters and the mutation of not only the vampires - post nuclear war, from eons before - but also in the more recent mutations of some vampires, into evil the much more powerful/even magical vaempires. As vile as they were, I pitied them because they had no control over becoming vaempires and no help with coping with their newly acquired, insatiable appetite for cold (vampire) blood. As there was no alternative nourishment (the vampires had synth blood, but no such replacements were found for vaempires as yet), I could understand why they felt a revolution of some sort necessary.

However, there seemed to be a connection between innate evil and becoming a vaempire, or at least as far as I could tell. This only really showed itself in shades, as the story developed.

Although I enjoyed the main characters: Daniel and Cassandra, they never really seemed like teenagers. I definitely wouldn't call this a YA book or a book about teenagers and vampires.

Cassandra kicks ass and is not a weak and useless heroine, but experiences awful situations with seemingly no real torment. I found this odd, especially in one so apparently young and innocent. Although I realise as a vampire, her physical injuries began to heal as soon as received, which explains this, at least in part.

Daniel also becomes slightly less believable when he becomes a kind of rolling volcano, literally wiping out great groups of vicious and vengeful vaemps, along with a few other surprising creations, with apparent ease. This was especially surprising, as the vaemps were supposedly a super-strong, super-fast mutation of the average vamp. He did have help from a bloodlust phase he encouraged, which left him vulnerable and depleted afterward, but thats something can't spoil for you with details here. But he'd done a lot of damage before he used any kind of strengthening`aids' already. Fifteen? He seemed more like a combat veteran of thirty-plus throughout this story. But of course, what with his father's military position, and his own military position, this would have necessitated lots of combat training. So what do I know?

A great read, a new and refreshing take on the vampire genre, a violent, action packed page-turner - and yes; there is a massive cliff hanger ready to drive you nuts!
Profile Image for Chapter by Chapter.
690 reviews441 followers
April 30, 2012
Loved it! Before I even say anything else I have to say that I loved this novel. I loved it for a number of reasons, the main one being that Vaempires: Revolution is Crusade meets X-men with all of the violence and gore from Mortal Kombat… the perfect mixture. Seriously, being the comic book nerd that I am—I loved that every Vaempire ability managed to remind me of some X-men character. Anyhow, I feel that I should just say right now that there is some mature content that may not be suitable for all YA readers and that content would be the single attempted sexual assault scene in the novel. Just a forewarning of what you will find should you choose to read Vaempires (which I highly recommend).

The novel started off with a fast paced action scene with the main character, Daniel. Now, you might be wondering “does this have dystopia? The answer is yes. Yes it does. Not only does the beginning chapter introduce us to the main aspects of this new vampire ruled world, but it also gives us a highly detailed version of what happened in history and what lead our world to be run by vampires, with only few humans left. Personally, I loved that there is a monarch family that rules over this new world and that with this new and unexpected war taking place right before the reader’s eyes—you were able to feel the complete and utter shock when we learn that not only were the King and Queen killed, but that you got to read about the detailed slaughter.

That being said, author Thomas Winship gave us chapters with the character Cassie (otherwise known as Princess Cassandra) as the chapter protagonist. Have I forgotten to mention that Cassie and Daniel are also dating? Well, now you know that too. Something that I worried about personally, was if the romance genre in the novel would ruin the action story and turn the killing machine Daniel—into some wimpy vampire who writes poetry (not that there’s anything wrong with those types of vampires or anything *cough* yes there is *cough). Luckily for us, the romance aspect of the novel only made every single killing that Daniel commit while under the influence of bloodlust all the more vicious and seriously addicting.

What with the great and detailed writing style, I found this novel to be above and beyond. I would recommend this to fans of vampire novels as well as horror and readers who want a seriously vivid and gory dystopia. Fans of dark and beautiful things are bound to be impressed!
Profile Image for Sandra "Jeanz".
1,149 reviews163 followers
March 26, 2012

MY REVIEW
I will start off by giving you this books full title, Vaempires Revolution (The Evolutionary War).I really enjoyed this action packed war of the races novel. Its a different concept of Vampires. As in this book there has been a war, where everything was devastated between the Humans and the Vampires. A truce is reached between the Humans and Vampires, and that has lasted quite well. then certain Vampires start mutating into something even scarier than a Vampire. The mutated Vampires name themselves Vaempires (read the book to find out why). The Vaempires are sick of being at the bottom of the pecking order as they put it. So there's another war brewing.
The royal family have great defences, I mean Vampires with their extra strong gene and their heightened senses surely they would see an attack from miles away?
Have the Vampire just become a bit too overconfident, thinking their security is unpenetratable. They seem to underestimate the strengths of the Vaempires. The Vaempires are even stronger, faster, and tougher than a Vampire, theres also rumors that some of them have supernatural powers?
I loved the characters of Daniel, Cassir, Linq and Ray. Their friendship shines through the story, they would do anything to protect one another and as survivors they also have to do what is best for their people.
The book is from two points of view, that of Daniel and of Cassie. We follow Daniel, desperate to find his girlfriend Cassies. Then we are with Cassie as she fights an old marriage suitor Vielyn. Cassie and Vielyn were in a relationship, then vielyn began to mutate. they split up, Vielyn says because he bagan to mutate, though Cassie denies this and says it was the personality and emotional changes in Vielyn that made her end their relationship that had been heading towards a marriage. Naturally Vielyn and Daniel do not get along as both think Cassie is theirs to love and protect etc.
The book is non-stop action which makes it very difficult to put down lol! When I got to the end I sort of just though WOW theres GOT to be a bk 2 and where can I get it from?
I just want to add that I would definitely recommend reading Vaempire Christmas the prelude book as you understnad the different relationships that are going on and you get a feel for the inter racial tensions that are also going on too.
So did I enjoy? YES Would I recommend? Yes, Would I read bk 2? Its already on the wishlist!
Profile Image for C.V. Hunt.
Author 34 books540 followers
November 13, 2011
With a strange twist, and a creative imagination, Thomas Winship has taken the vampire and turned it into his own creature.

The story starts with an action sequence and is nonstop action through the rest of the book. Væmpires opens with a war being waged on the capital of what is left of the world. Daniel, a fifteen year-old vampire, and the son of the captain of the guard, finds himself amongst a battle for his life against an even more terrifying group of vampires referred to as væmpires. With most of the royal family dead, he must try to rescue one of the few survivors of the family – Princess Cassandra.

Væmpires used to be regular vampires, but evolution has put a change to that. These vampires are warm-blooded, their hearts beat, they are stronger, have grown an extra set of thumbs, and their humanity is slowly slipping back to an animal instinct of survival. They have been shunned by the humans and vampire race. Vielyn, a former vampire, and former friend of the royal family states it best:

FROM THE BOOK:
“Vampires – our former people – rejected us. The world at large ignored us. The medical community failed us. The government abandoned us. What else was left but to forge our own path?”

Vampires are able to survive on a synthetic blood, and have gain a peaceful resolution with humans. The synth-blood allows them to walk in the daylight, and it quenches there never ending thirst for human blood. But væmpires are unable to produce the synthetic dead blood of a vampire, and with the feeling of being dejected by their own people, and uprising has been boiling below the surface.

Now the hunters have become the hunted, and vampires are discovering that væmpires are more powerful that what they appear.

Væmpires was extremely original and inventive. It took an apocalyptic world, added vampires, some X-men-like mutants, and added some futurist sci-fi elements. I know there are a lot of people that still like their old-school vampires, with the sunlight and holy relics, but I'm certainly liking these new and improved vampires that have been emerging. It’s time for the vampire to evolve into something more terrifying, and I can’t wait to see the sequel to this book.
Profile Image for Carrie Ardoin.
558 reviews31 followers
June 4, 2012
In the distant future, the Earth as we know it is no more. The planet now has three races: human, vampire, and væmpire. A væmpire is a vampire that has undergone mutations to make it stronger, faster, and in some cases, have special skills that normal vampires do not. Vampires have learned to live peacefully with humans and do not feed on them, but they have also alienated the mutant race of væmpires.

On the day of young vampire Princess Cassandra's birthday, they decide to stage a revolution.

Cassandra's boyfriend Daniel is out in the city when chaos strikes, and instead of going to the palace for a party, he learns nearly everyone he loves has been slaughtered, making him interim king. Over the course of a night, the 15 year old must decide whether to help save what is left of his people, or try to rescue their future queen. The night plays out in ways no one expects.

This book was one crazy thrill ride, and I loved every minute of it. You are thrust right into the action from the very first page, and it never lets go, escalating to a bloody crescendo that left me with one hell of a cliffhanger!

Daniel is so kickass. Any other hero would race straight to his woman, giving no thought to who else might need help. But he somehow manages to consider others, even while dealing with unimaginable grief and with no knowledge of what Cassandra might be in the midst of. He was an awesome character, and he wasn't too proud to get a little help when he knew he was outnumbered ;)

That doesn't mean Cassandra was a wimpy princess, at all. She is smart, and a fighter all the way through. She stays royal and dignified throughout her ordeal. The moments she and Daniel have together are heart melting, and I am rooting for them so hard.

The action...oh WOW. Let's just say it's not for the faint of heart. These are no romantic, dashing vampires and zombies. There's tons of killing, blood and gore. Don't read this book if you don't like graphic descriptions of violence. But if that is your thing, this book definitely delivers :)

Væmpires: Revolution was an amazing read, and even though I'm frustrated with the cliffhanger (GRRRR), I'll definitely be reading the next book!
Profile Image for Diayll.
449 reviews49 followers
November 15, 2012
Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Blog Tour
Reviewer: CrayolaKym

This book, while about vampires, is the run of the mill vampire story. Vampires are civilized citizens holding prominent positions and satiate their thirst with synthetic blood and live in peace with the humans. Vaempire’s on the other hand…Once vampires themselves, Vaempire’s are a mutated being whose thirst for real live warm blood will make them stop at nothing in their coordinated efforts to wipe out the humans, and take all vampires prisoners thus becoming the superior race.

Princess Cassandra is heir to the vampire throne and under great scrutiny as her sixteenth birthday arises. Every important person in the world has gathered together to witness this momentous event, that is except her boyfriend Daniel who is outside the city walls, least to anyone’s’ knowledge, slaying Vaempire’s left and right as they gather in droves in revolution against the humans and the vampires. With the city in the shake of a blood bath and all out war, Daniel, Cassandra, and two other teenagers take it upon themselves to fight back the Vaempire’s and save humanity.

This was a good read and packed with lots of action from beginning to end which I can tell is what really fuels Winship’s writing. At times I kept asking myself, “Would four young teens really be able to do all of this and have this much physical strength despite being vampires?” I kept hearing myself repeat this with every fight sequence and thinking if my own 18 and 15 year old daughters could muster even and 1/10 of what Cassandra is capable, even if they were vampire and still felt the story was too farfetched and the characters should probably have been young men and women. Besides this, I felt the writing was solid, the story was intriguing and grabs the reader early on and eagerly teases you to read the next book when you finally come to the end of the first. I definitely can’t wait to see more of Winship’s work in the near future.
Profile Image for Heather Jensen.
Author 6 books71 followers
January 5, 2013
"The moon was bright overhead, bathing everything in its chilly glow. Daniel hardly noticed. The night air, usually cool and sweet at this time of year, hung heavy with smoke from unchecked fire and the discharging of many weapons. His throat was dry and scratchy, a bitter taste sat on the back of his tongue, and his exposed skin was coated with a greasy film. And vaempire blood."

This isn't your average vampire love story.

Humans in our day would barely recognize the world in which this story takes place. It's a world where vampires and humans have allied against a new threat that comes in the form of vaempires; hot blooded, violent creatures who mean to take their place at the top of the food chain at any cost.

Winship's descriptive voice carries the story forward effortlessly as the reader follows the vampire Princess Cassandra and her boyfriend Daniel's struggle to stay alive and reach each other while the Orion, the planet's capital, is under attack. The story is packed with action, with details so vivid you can almost smell the copper scent of blood as vampires and vaempires clash in the deadly struggle to remain on top.

Daniel is determined to reach Cassie as he fights his way to the palace, but nothing is certain for the young couple. The future of the entire planet could very well rest on their survival. The author manages to make every vampire vs. vaempire encounter new and exciting, with a fast-paced plot that thrills and terrorizes all at once. The vampires in this story are unique, with a rich history entwined with human culture, while the vaempires present a new level of evolution as dark and menacing as the future they hope to create.

Vaempires: Revolution is the first book in the installment. Soon I'll have my review for Vaempires: White Christmas (A Prelude to The Evolutionary War) posted. Following that will be Vaempires: Zombie Rising (The Evolutionary War), the latest book in the series.

While not for the faint of heart, I highly recommend this book for vampire and paranormal fans looking for something new and exciting!
Profile Image for Beckie.
311 reviews59 followers
November 23, 2012
Vaempires: Revolution takes place where the world as we know it is ruled by humans and the undead. Humans are dying off one by one leaving the world in total chaos. Nothing is as it was; a revolution has changed everything. Within this new world are two types of undead creatures who roam and rule. One being Vampires, and another being væmpires. The Vampires are a good and a civilized race, many reigning as Kings and Queens of this new world. The væmpires are very evil and blood-thirsty creatures who want to take rule of everything human and vampire alike.

The story begins right in the middle of battle. A boy named Daniel who is also the King's son is fighting his way back to the palace to be able to attend an event for his true love, Cassie. Cassie is also royalty. She is a princess in a another part of this world. Both Daniel and Cassie are vampires and strive to find a way to keep peace in their decaying lands. They live off of synthetic blood unlike the væmpires who only drink vampires blood. The væmpires are not happy with the hand they have been dealt and decide to wreak havoc and kill everyone until their race will one day rule everything. Daniel and Cassie must fight to live and find there way back to each other even if it mean loosing people they love, and themselves in the process.

I was totally blown away by this book. I really enjoyed the story-line throughout the whole book. The characters are so raw and edgy. I could really feel the anguish and suffering that Daniel and Cassie had to endure through the authors expressive writing. The world building and character development is so perplex and gives this story such depth. væmpires: Revolution totally surpassed my expectations going into the book. I think the only thing that made me give this book a 4 star rating instead of a 5 star is how gory the book was. Some gory is not bad, but at times I was like "Eww, Gross'! Other than that I really loved it and would recommend the book to all Vampire lovers out there.
Profile Image for Rachel McClellan.
Author 38 books516 followers
September 12, 2012
Annnnd cut. Wow. What a great adventure! I call it that because this book isn’t your typical novel where you have a beginning, middle, end – you just have 216 pages of non stop, head ripping, blood spurting, face crunching action. Cool? Very. It was like watching a movie from start to finish.

The beginning starts with all the “higher ups” in the vampire world being brutally killed, including Daniel’s parents, at a birthday party for sixteen-year-old Princess Cassandra who is also Daniel’s girlfriend. So imagine Daniel’s fury when he learns of the terrorist action, caused by the Vaempires, an evolved vampire species, who killed everyone he loves and has captured his damsel in distress. Though Cassandra is hardly a damsel – more like a beautiful fighting machine. I really liked her character.

Moving on…the rest of the book is about Daniel trying to get across town to save Cassandra, and to do this he has to severe a few hundred heads. I like how the author created a way for this to happen (I won’t spoil it for you). It made it more believable then just saying this super strong teenage vampire is a way better fighter then hundreds of other, much older, mutated vaempires. And I also like that this “way” he uses to become crazy, super strong comes with consequences. I’m excited to see where this leads.

Something else I liked about your book is the romantic element to it. Romance in a horror novel? Sweet! But what made it great is the whole story Cassie and Daniel are trying to get to each other. They’re never really together until toward the end, but you can feel the tension as one obstacle after another gets in their way. That’s what makes great writing, always increasing the stakes, no pun intended.

Overall this was a great book. I enjoyed the author’s writing style – descriptive, but not overly so. The only minor complaint was that it was too short. I liked the characters enough that I would’ve preferred a more normal story line so I could get to know them better. I will read more of this author’s work.
Profile Image for Carmen Shaw.
111 reviews
May 8, 2012
Overall Thoughts:
This was a fun, brief read that easily had me engrossed!

Vaempires: Revolution is about a Dystopian world that is being taken over by mutilated vampires called Vaempires, which is exactly how the story begins. We follow a fifteen year old vampire named Daniel (Son of the head of the Royal Guard) who is literally fighting his way to Princess Cassandra's Sixteenth birthday party. Because she is the heir to the vampire throne, every guard and soldier is in attendance to ensure that she and her wealthy/powerful acquaintances are safe and sound, leaving the rest of the city completely vulnerable... which is when the vaempires decide to attack.

What are vaempires, you ask? Well before they even came into the picture, humans and vampires fought against each other in a terrible war, until synthetic blood was discovered. Then, a long period of peace ensued. Then, certain vampires started mutilating into a new kind of vampire named vaempires. But here's the catch: Vaempires don't like synthetic blood; they like vampire blood. And Daniel is looking to destroy anything that gets in his way when he finds out that his girlfriend, Cassandra, was taken by a vaempire...

What I liked about this book:
This book has an extremely unique plot! I really love the fact that the author decided to explore both the old, grotesque vampire as well as the modern, shapely vampire.

Also, the action in this book is nonstop! Daniel spends the entire book fighting his way through vaempires to get to his missing girlfriend, Cassandra, which made me want to melt, in a good way.

What I disliked about this book:
The author was very descriptive, which don't get me wrong, I love when an author is able to create a vivid setting for me but a couple of times while reading, I thought it got a bit wordy.

Verdict:
If your in the mood for a fast-paced quick read, don't hesitate to pick this book up!
Profile Image for ѦѺ™.
447 reviews
April 20, 2012
We used to think that revolutions are the cause of change. Actually it is the other way around: change prepares the ground for revolution. - Eric Hoffer

it is Princess Cassandra's sixteenth birthday and the great capital city of Orion is among those under attack. the væmpires have undergone mutations and have staged a revolution across the planet. hope and salvation lie in the hands of Daniel, a teenage vampire, and his three companions.
author Thomas Winship's novel about a new breed of vampires is fast-paced, action-packed and one of a kind! from the first page to the last, the thrills, chills and surprises never let up.
my imagination went into overdrive as i visualized the scenes taking place. they were gritty, visceral, gory and filled with mayhem. this was war after all and Mr. Winship does not mince words in presenting its horrors.
amidst all the violence and bloodbath though, there is the tender and sweet romance between Daniel and Cassie and the heroism of humans and vampires united together to fight a common enemy.
i really enjoyed every moment of reading this book. at first, i had to struggle a bit with the terms "vampires" and "væmpires" but i easily got past the confusion as i got more involved with the story.
this is also one of those vampire tales that i highly recommend. the language may be strong and not for the faint of heart but the entertainment value a reader can get is truly worth it!

Disclosure of Material Connection: i received a copy of Væmpires: Revolution from the author himself. i did not receive any payment in exchange for this review nor was i obligated to write a positive one. all opinions expressed here are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, the book's publisher and publicist or the readers of this review. this disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Profile Image for Kim Heimbuch.
592 reviews14 followers
November 15, 2012
This book, while about vampires, is the run of the mill vampire story. Vampires are civilized citizens holding prominent positions and satiate their thirst with synthetic blood and live in peace with the humans. Vaempire's on the other hand...Once vampires themselves, vaempire's are a mutated being whose thirst for real live warm blood will make them stop at nothing in their coordinated efforts to wipe out the humans, and take all vampires prisoners thus becoming the superior race.
Princess Cassandra is heir to the vampire throne and under great scrutiny as her sixteenth birthday arises. Every important person in the world has gathered together to witness this momentous event, that is except her boyfriend Daniel who is outside the city walls, least to anyone’s' knowledge, slaying vaempire's left and right as they gather in droves in revolution against the humans and the vampires. With the city in the shake of a blood bath and all out war, Daniel, Cassandra, and two other teenagers take it upon themselves to fight back the Vaempire's and save humanity.
This was a good read and packed with lots of action from beginning to end which I can tell is what really fuels Winship's writing. At times I kept asking myself, “Would four young teens really be able to do all of this and have this much physical strength despite being vampires?” I kept hearing myself repeat this with every fight sequence and thinking if my own 18 and 15 year old daughters could muster even and 1/10 of what Cassandra is capable, even if they were vampire and still felt the story was to far fetched and the characters should probably have been young men and women. Besides this, I felt the writing was solid, the story was intriguing and grabs the reader early on and eagerly teases you to read the next book when you finally come to the end of the first. I definitely can't wait to see more of Winship's work in the near future.

This review is as seen on www.mothergamerwriter.com
Profile Image for Margarita.
301 reviews233 followers
March 27, 2012
I was extremely surprised with every single page in this book!
I didn't even realize that this was a self-published book until I had to do my post - Winship's writing and story-telling is so well thought out, I could not put this book down.

From the very first sentence we are thrown into a futuristic and chaotic world were vampires and humans exist in harmony until some rogue vaempires attack and executes most of the vampires royalty and human leaders.

Due to advance sciences, Vampires have been able to exist without blood cravings and no longer have to fear the sun. However, VAEMPIRES, are mutated vampires that have surprisingly transformed into heart-beating, warm-blooded animals with unimaginable powers.
Right away I learned, VAMPIRES are good and VAEMPIRES are bad, very bad.

We first meet our main character, Daniel -
a fifteen year old vampire, son of the captain of the Royal Guard turned orphan and leader.
He is courageous, strong and thoughtful - it was easy to forget that he was only 15.

This book is action packed! Fast moving! and so very good!

And of course, it gets better!!! There is a love story in here too!
Meet Princess Cassandra, or as Daniel so lovingly refers to, Cassie - she is one of the only royal survivors and Daniel must find her and save her for more reasons than one.
Again, it is sometimes hard to remember that Daniel and Cassie are only 15 years old. But due to the circumstances that they are in and that the world is in disarray, everyone must do what they have to do.

I have to warn you, the ending is a killer!
It is one of the best cliffhangers I have ever read!!!
I am looking forward to the next book...

In the meantime, I am going to be jumping right into Vaempires prequel,
Vaempires: A White Christmas.

I give this book 5 stars.
Profile Image for Penelope Bartotto.
Author 3 books110 followers
May 19, 2012
Often I get asked what attracts you to a book..... and I will say my answer varies, but what drew me to this book was the unique title: Vaempires. I spent forever wondering what that tiny e could mean to the story, what did it stand for. My husband said VaEMPIRES, and still insists that is what it stands for, a nd maybe one could actually think that after reading the book.
Yes, I think you should read this book. Most definitely. No matter what the twist in the title means, the story is intriguing and opens you into a different world than the run of the mill vampire story. Right now writing about vampires is a risky decision for an author, in my opinion, at least. The market is flooded with books, graphic novels, television shows, and movies about vampires. Even Dancing with the Stars featured a rather corny dance involving vampires... everywhere you turn the fanged creatures are waiting to attract your attention. So what makes Winship's vampires stand out? They are unique, and they are not alone in their world.
There have been so many versions of vampires in the literary world, it is actually surprising that someone could create a new one, but Winship not only manages that, he creates something even more incredible than a new vampire, he created the vaempire. Even better he is writing about young adults, so I hope that he is marketing this book to the YA readers so that they can be drawn away from some of the more vapid books like Twilight. ( No offense to Stephanie Meyer.) There is great character development here, an exceptional plot, action, suspense, mystery, and even romance.
My only tiny criticism, it seems like the reader is dropped into a frantic event, which can work sometimes, but was a little haphazard this time. No big deal though, as you soon find your direction and understand where the story is going. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Profile Image for Noelle Blakely.
Author 2 books58 followers
January 22, 2013
Sorry this review was so long in coming. I wanted to finish reading the second book before commenting because I wanted to get a handle on how this series is playing out. What I mean by that is the way the series is written it seems to me more like a single novel in serial parts. I don't have a problem with that. I just wanted to be sure that was what was happening. So, I have combined my review and will copy it to both books.

With that said, I am patient and will wait for the next installments. I think the evolution of Vampires is a great theme and I am really liking this story so far.

A group of friends must face a revolutionary force of mutated Vampires, now known as Vaempires. The revolution is violent and they lose their families and become separated. I don't want to give away any spoilers so I will stop with saying that the first book is the story of two of them and the second is the story of the other two, all happening simultaneously.

I really like these books, so please, no one take my minor gripes as any sort of indication that I don't. I think the characters are described and portrayed as much older than they are said to be. They are much more mature than fifteen years. I don't know the purpose of this, as I think these books are a little bit too violent for the YA crowd, so I think the characters would have played okay if they were older.

The gore descriptions are a little too abundant for me. I think gore is great for shock value and graphic realism, but too many pages of gory descriptions in a row lose the shock value and become boring and tedious. I found myself skimming quickly ahead to get to more story and less gore. But, just know that the story is there and is very enjoyable.

I will be buying the rest of the series. I give The Evolutionary War series four stars.
Profile Image for Silvia.
314 reviews58 followers
October 13, 2021
Even if I’m usually not into gore, this time I couldn’t help myself, I was totally enchanted by this book. Action is what prevails on everything, of course, you say, it’s a war book! Be aware, it’s a war like no other . . . Don’t even think for a second about the standard vampires we’re used to, or the classic vampires vs humans war. We have vampires against vaempires here and that ‘e’ is not just what makes the difference between the two names, but it’s the key to the originality and the real charm of this book. Let’s just say someone had a very powerful evolution . . .

Daniel and Cassandra are two amazing, very strong characters, and one of the things I loved the most is that Thomas Winship managed to make great justice with both point of views, male and female. It’s not something easy, to be honest before reading Vaempires: Revolution I would have thought about this like a mission impossible, but Winship did it and he did it extremely good!

Reading this book was like watching a movie. I visualized every single scene in such a clear way that I was practically living the story. I felt every emotion the characters were feeling like they were mine, and without realizing it I had completely devoured the book. Believe me, after you reach the speechless end, you will die to read more!

I received a free copy of this book from the Author for an honest review. This does not affect in any way my opinion of the book nor the content of my revieworiginally posted on Darkest Sins.
Profile Image for Kat.
477 reviews166 followers
February 19, 2012
From the first page, Vaempires: Revolution jumps straight into action with Daniel, son of the head of the Royal Guard fighting some scary-ar$e vaempires on the streets of Orion, capital of the vampire territories and home to his true love Princess Cassandra. The vampires are the good guys, working with the remaining human population, and with advances in science are no longer dependent on real blood for sustenance and don’t get burnt to a crisp by daylight.

Mr. Winship adds a new twist to the age-old vampire story with vaempires, vampires who have mutated and feel ostracised from the world and let-down by science, who cannot help them adapt and live as the vampires do alongside humans.

Daniel and Cassandra are strong characters, who read much older and wiser than their 15 years, shaped by their royal duties and involvement in the politics of the changed world. As the vaempires stage their revolution, both characters are involved in intense battles in their attempt to be reunited and escape the royal palace.

I would have liked some more world building between the action, but the story of how the world came to be this way is well-worked into the story. And I warn you, the ending climaxes with a MASSIVE cliffhanger!

For a self-published book, the writing is very good, and the spelling and grammar is very almost flawless. I did move straight onto reading the prequel, Vaempires: A White Christmas, which I will be reviewing later this week, and I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.

Full review will be published on The Aussie Zombie.
Profile Image for Courtney.
459 reviews77 followers