Start by marking “The Wizard of Oz and Other Wonderful Books of Oz: The Emerald City of Oz and Glinda of Oz (Oz, #1, 6, 14)” as Want to Read:

(Oz #1, 6, 14)

The coveted and award-winning Penguin Threads series continues with three more enchanting, beautifully sewn covers by a talented visual artist

With paper and pen or needle and thread, storytelling has many traditions. Penguin's award-winning art director Paul Buckley presents Penguin Threads, a series of Penguin Classics Deluxe Editions inspired by the aesthetic of handmade
Paperback, Penguin Threads, 432 pages
Published April 24th 2012 by Penguin Classics

Start your review of The Wizard of Oz and Other Wonderful Books of Oz: The Emerald City of Oz and Glinda of Oz (Oz, #1, 6, 14)
Michelle
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Okay, first of all, let's look at the cover and drool, because it is a thing of beauty.

Now.

*unhappy groan*

Why?!

There are three 'books' in this edition -- the first, the sixth, and the fourteenth. The first one is The Wizard of Oz. I've never read this before, as it is not a classic where I live. I've seen the movie(s), however, and was familiar with the plot. I liked Baum's story good enough; it was lovely, entertaining and easy to read. 4/5 stars.

Then we have The Emerald City of Oz, the sixth
nad
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I MADE IT. took me nearly two months to read it but I'm finally done yehaaa. it's not that any of the stories were super boring or anything but I just had a hard time getting through all three "books" at once so I broke them up and read some every week or so. though I enjoyed the last one not as much as the other two I'm still satisfied with this little collection. the land of Oz is a wonderful, magical place I'd love to visit and all it's inhabitants are so special!
4/5 stars
Nicole
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-english, 2013
Read March 2013
This book contains three Oz stories.
The first one being: The Wizard of Oz (the original first Oz story.)
The second: The Emerald City of Oz (the sixth Oz story)
And the third: Glinda of Oz (the last and fourteenth Oz story.)

I loved the first story and would definitely give it 5/5 stars!

I really liked the second story as well, but – especially in the beginning- I was a bit confused about what had happened. I hadn’t read the second to fifth Oz stories so when the second story I read w
Emily
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emily by: bookshelf of VVD
Zipes provides an intro and endnotes, with an analysis of Baum's utopian vision as essentially an anti-exploitative sharing economy. A good poke in the eye to critics who find the Oz stories "anti-feminist," and draws solid connections between Baum's plot points and the Germanic folktale tradition, but a bit too credulous of theories like that gold-standard thing.
Jeanne McDonald
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While there were numerous inconsistencies throughout the Oz books, one can not overlook the brilliance behind the construction of Oz as a world. These stories hold a sentimental place in my heart, reflecting on a time of innocence. These are most definitely stories I would share with my child.
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
Check out my reviews on the main versions of each book.
Butterfly2507
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
I got this edition which contains the books #1, #6 and #14. I've only read the first one, the original Wizard of Oz story and it was ... okay. I expected a little better for such a well loved and known story. (fun fact, this was the first time reading it and I've never seen the movie!). The World of Oz itself sounds amazing, I love the characters / protagonists as well but something was missing. Definitely will not be continuing the story.
Amelia P
Dec 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young teens

This book was a lot like the classic 1939 movie, except with plenty more characters, adventures, and odd solutions. I personally only read the wizard of oz at this time, but have read the other two at separate times. All were good, but The Wizard of Oz wasn't much different from the movie. People who would enjoy this book would be people that like little adventure books, because it seemed like every chapter the characters were dealing with a different problem. Also people that were into happy ev
Edward Davies
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
THE WIZARD OF OZ
For many this is considered the best and, outside of the USA, only Oz book. Many people don't realise just how many of these books there were, and this is the one with the most consistant plot (if any - some of them don't have a plot).

THE EMERALD CITY OF OZ
This is an improvement on the previous book (The Road To Oz), mainly because it feels like the last, so Baum has put more effort into rounding the story off at the end. Sadly, it was only a matter of years before he was coerced
Elin Nilsson
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, children-s, 2014
The Oz-books were great. It was obvious that they were written for children, but they were really well made. It was also obvious that Baum took a lot of inspiration from Alice in Wonderland. There are only two things that bother me. In the first book, The Wizard of Oz, the Tin Woodman wants a heart so that he can remember how to love the girl he used to love before he was made of tin. But when he gets his heart he doesn't go back to the girl (he also assumes that the girl is still waiting for hi ...more
Allison Roy
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lois
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, classics
I was never too fond of the movie adaptation, so it took a little motivation to read the book. Well, the motivation was Wicked, which I didn't think I'm doing justice if I didn't read the Wizard... So, I finally read the book. In 2 or 3 sittings, which is to say something for me, since I do read quite slowly and all, but I was quite surprised, positively at that, to find that the book was indeed much more than the movie. Of course, I did find the tone of the book a bit tedious, the plot too conv ...more
Gaby Sosa
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A classic, but more than that, a glimpse to the effects of the Great Depression through the eyes of a child. It's easy to see the appeal of running away, isn't that why we read fantasy in the first place? However, like in all well done fantasy tales, you usually end up finding other kind of troubles that show you that life doesn't come easy to anyone (even in a magical land) and when you think you're facing an impossible puzzle with no way out to the surface, somehow, if you try hard enough, the ...more
Lucy
Super fun read, as I have always loved the 1939 film. I loved hearing the back story for each character, especially the Tin Woodman. This is about friendship and teamwork in the midst of adversity.

This quirky tale got me wondering about what character trait is already deep within me, but I continue to seek out some kind of tangible gift or recognition from some great and powerful Wizard...

What would I ask from a great and powerful Wizard?

What if I just imagined and believed that I already had It
Tamarin
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
My introduction to this story was watching the movie starring Judy Garland, which I loved! Admittedly I was curious to see how the book differs from the movie. Surprisingly there are quite a few differences, such as Dorothy being a very small child, the amount of animals the Tin Woodsman kills, the fact that the shoes are silver and not made of rubies and even the flying monkeys being sympathetic creatures! This being said, I don’t feel that Hollywood took anything away from the story, in fact I ...more
Rachel Slocombe
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Sure I'll help you little girl, just go comit murder for me!
My toddlers both enjoyed the first story. It's very simply written and would be easy for young children to read themselves. As an adult I have problems with the moral of murdering strangers in exchange for favours. The ending also drags on for bloody ages!
The other stories, especially the last one, suffer from the back story being in books we don't have. I'm not sure why they chose these two?
A pretty edition which I'd recommend just rea
Nicole
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-literature
I just read this with my daughter. I'd forgotten what an enchanting story it is and how it is written to get the point across to the children (eg - the lion is overtly brave and the scarecrow consistently comes up with clever ideas) We read it because we visited Oz Park in Chicago and she was interested in the story -- I thought that the movie might scare her, so we started with the book. I'd forgotten how much better than the movie it was. She loved it!
Nicole Thomas
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
When I started the Book I had was quite excited because I always loved the OZ stories when I was younger, so I was really excited to finally read them but now that I finished them I must admit that they're not as good as I expected them to be. I mean the writing and story is still good, I just think I wasn't really my sort of book or at least I couldn't get into the story as much as I usually do.
Heather
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother made sure I had every one of the Oz books when I was growing up, and I still have them today! I have gotten rid of many of my favorite books over the years, but somehow I could never give these up. When I read them now, I think of how weird they are--but Frank Baum was truly a visionary. look how far children's fantasy has come! I see him as the first JK Rowling.
Erin
If allowed to give 1/2 stars, I would probably give this book 3 1/2 stars. I did like it but found it a little bit hard to stay engaged in the story at times. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I was reading it at a younger age. I do believe that these are wonderful and inventive stories to read with children and are certainly enjoyable even for those of us who are older.
Justine
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I originally hadn't planned on ever reading the Wizard of Oz series but upon seeing this cover I was inspired to read it. I love the cover art for these penguin threads books. I enjoyed this book more than I had anticipated. I found all three of the books in this volume to be highly imaginative and the characters very loveable.
Ashley
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading these three books from the 14-book series by Baum. It's really cool to see the differences between the original text and the Judy Garland film we all know and love. If you love The Wizard of Oz or, like me, you were just captivating my Andrew Llyod Webber's production, this is a great book. Plus, it's a Penguin Threads edition, so it's got GORGEOUS cover art.
Catherine
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Simple, friendly and enterntaining. The world we discover in this book is yes for kid but there are still darker point (I mean for kid). You can also sense that it is not only for kid for sometimes the talks of people were selfish and proud. It is not the kind of lesson that I would want my own kid to learn.
Tammy Clark
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is such an enjoyable book. I really look forward to reading the rest of the series. I really recommend this publisher as well. It was very educational to look up all of the references and foot notes.
David
Oct 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, full of details of omitted from the motion picture. Dorothy as a smaller child, the Tinman is the Tin Woodsman, the scarecrow's face is painted on so he cannot eat, but he can speak. Hmmm...good enough and lasting enough to make me want to continue the series.
Rachel
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this back when I was in my Oz phase, before I saw Wicked of course, and I really enjoyed going through ever Baum book had in my public library. They were very imaginative and creative and for an eleven year old I thoroughly enjoyed these classic tales.
L. Frank Baum at his best.
Leila
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good book that includes three of the Oz stories, but the problem is, these oz stories are not in order. It's number 1, then 7, then something else. It's a bit confusing because they revert back to old books sometimes, ad you don't understand all of it.
Marissol
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really love it. Even knowing this book just have three of eleven stories of Oz. The way the author wrote this stories, let me feel so peacefully. Thats can seems a little naive, but for me was a amazing utopian tale.
Sylvia Johnson
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally read this book after meaning to for many years. It was fun reading but made me appreciate the film even more since the film edited out the unnecessary and clarified the message. The film also provided a reasonable explanation for Dorothy's experience.
Hoffi
Oct 20, 2013 added it
I admit that of this edition I only read The Wizard Of Oz as I didn't want to read The Emerald city of Oz or Glinda of Oz without reading the books that go in between.

This is an enchanting read although some details will surprise readers who are only familiar with the film staring Judy Garland.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 9 Nov 01, 2019 06:00AM

• Finding Dorothy
  • My Cousin Rachel
  • The Glass Ocean
  • The Bookshop on the Shore (Scottish Bookshop, #2)
  • Sarah's Key
  • Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1)
  • A Separate Peace
  • Rebound
  • Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
  • To the Land of Long Lost Friends (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #20)
  • Agnes Grey
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • The Cafe by the Sea (Mure, #1)
  • First Comes Love
  • Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery (Little Beach Street Bakery #2)
  • Amy Winehouse: The Biography
  • Andy Warhol
also wrote under the name Edith Van Dyne, Floyd Akers, Schuyler Staunton, John Estes Cooke, Suzanne Metcalf, Laura Bancroft

Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of

Oz (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • The Emerald City of Oz (Oz #6)
  • The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7)
  • Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8)
  • The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz, #9)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)