Start by marking “Afraid To Die (To Die, #4)” as Want to Read:
Afraid To Die (To Die, #4)

Afraid To Die

(To Die #4)

Afraid To Die (Selena Alvarez/Regan Pescoli)

Afraid To Scream

Others may dread the chill of winter, but he relishes it. The way the frigid water preserves his victims, the feel of their icy skin beneath his fingers. . . And soon the world will see their beauty--and his vengeance.

Afraid To Run

Published June 12th 2012 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Afraid To Die, please sign up.
J Totally stands on its own. First book in series that I read. Read in a weekend. It's an anthology series.

D.B. Reynolds
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's Christmastime in Grizzly Falls, which means it's time for someone to start killing women in cold and creative ways! This time it's Selena Alvarez in the crosshairs, which is a surprise to some given her quiet and controlled personality and life style. But Jackson has hinted all along that there was more to Selena's story that we were being told, and in this novel we learn it all. There were some surprising twists to this book, a big one being that Alvarez is no longer crushing over Captain ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
This was interesting story. I was entertained. I think I’m more invested in the messy characters than the killings. I find it odd that every killer in this small town series and all her other books I’ve read are sexually obsessed but never violate the victims other than keeping them naked in life and death. I find it impossible to believe. I wish the author would stray away from this. She’s obsessed with it. Still, she creates compelling heroes (men and women) who suck you in. Also, the inconsis ...more
beloved books by Tine
ich bekomme einfach nicht genug von ihren Büchern :-)
Meigan
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
3 stars simply because I like the town and characters.

It seems as if this author is now pumping books out just to get them out with no thoughts of editing or proofreading. I used to like this author, and I still kind of do, but the last few books I've read have been riddled with grammar errors and things that just plumb don't make sense, this title included.

First off, I like the characters and the setting in the Pescoli/Alvarez/Grizzly Falls series. I don't mind the fact that the town seems full
Traann
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Alvarez and Pescoli are back and the bodies are stacking up...

“Afraid to Die” is the fourth book in Lisa Jackson’s Selena Alvarez/Regan Pescoli thrillers and she does not disappoint her fans of this series. She picks up the lives of Selena and Regan about a year after “Born to Die” ends. We learn more about who Selena is and how she developed into the character we know and love. Regan is still battling her children and as a parent you can totally relate to all of the little problems that come up
Paula Brandon
Det. Serena Alvarez and Det. Regan Pascoli have a new serial killer to deal with. This guy is encasing women in ice sculptures. When the bodies are discovered, Serena realises that they bear jewellery that belongs to her! Complicating things is the arrival of both ex-lover Dylan O'Keefe in her life, plus Gabriel Reeve, who may just be the son she gave up for adoption sixteen years previously. It's apparent the killer is fixated on Serena, threatening both her and those she loves.

Left To Die and
Debbie
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It’s Christmas time in Grizzly Falls Montana and after the past few terrifying winters the residents are ready for a break, but unfortunately they’re not going to get one. It seems that all the crazies come out in winter and this December is no different, there’s a madman killing women and posing them in ice sculptures and it’s once again up to Detectives Alvarez and Pescoli to solve the crimes. But this time there’s more going on and it seems that Selena Alvarez is about to get a visit from her ...more
Bookmom
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This fourth book in the Selena Alvarez/Regan Pescoli series is my first experience with a book written by this author. I was hooked very early into the story that is more mystery/suspense than romance.

The story is mainly told through Detectives Alvarez and Pescoli, but we also get into the minds of some of the victims, the serial killer, those that find the bodies and Dylan O’Keefe, now a PI who had once worked with Alvarez in the San Bernadino PD until she’d messed up and a set-up went horribly
Linda Boyd
I really enjoy this series - Selena Alvarez/Regan Pescoli track a crazy serial killer in the town of Grizzly Falls. Winter brings out the crazies in Grizzly Town and this killer does not disappoint. Loved it!! 4 stars

Decided to do a re-read of this one as I jump back into this series! Love Alvarez & Pescoli!
beloved books by Tine
das Buch kann ja nichts für meinen Zeitmangel. fand es sehr gut.
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Bad guy freezes vics
Turns them into ice sculptures
Is Alvarez next?

My first Jackson book
Definitely won't be last
I liked it a lot
Amanda
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who like suspence and thrillers
Shelves: giveaway-books
I wanna start off that this was one book I couldn't put down til the last page. I thought it was so awesome! I won this free book was goodreads.com

This book is about Detective Selena Alvarez and Detective Regan Pescoli they are both cops and very tough as nails.

Detective Regan Pescoli is a single mom to two very selfish kids. Her son Jeremy is always telling her he wants to move out but only has a part time job just basically to cover his car. He wants to move out and wants her to sign a lease
Caroline
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm a big Lisa Jackson fan, but I ended up feeling like I'd read this book before. It's winter. Again. There's a serial killer (again). Pescoli's kids act up. Again. Nutty Christmas lady at the police station bedecks the halls. Again. The only new thing was Alvarez' boyfriend. If Ms. Jackson wants to write more Grizzly Falls stories, let's have a change of season, a change of story type, and have some of the characters mature.
Fredrick Danysh
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
A diabolical killer is loose in Grizzly Falls. He encases his female victims in ice sculptures. The author concentrates on the personal lives and relationships of several female police officers without a lot of detail about the crime story.
Randy Tramp
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Setting: Grizzly Falls Montana

The antagonists loves the chill of winter, too much. A sick and deranged serial killer. Greep factor ten. He freezes women, making a sculpture out of them, then puts them on display with a piece of jewelry-Selena Alvarez's.

Detective Regan Pescoli, Detective Selena Alvarez and PI Dylan O'Keeve investigates. One problem: Alvarez has a secret past.

This would be a great story if the explicit sexual content were left out. With that said, the plot moved the story at gut-w
Kristīne Līcis
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
More like 1.5 stars. Overly convoluted and implausible plot, with way too many easy assumptions and contrived coincidences. The motivation of the villain remains obscure, even though I admit that the way the serial killer disposes of the victims is unheard of.

A priest in love with workouts is fun. The elliptical training machine, paired with intense prayer and maybe fasting for good measure could, in these modern times, be considered a way to “sweat it out” for God, or something.
Nancy
Apr 01, 2017 added it
Patricia
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To much to write about, so much going on in this story about a MAD MAN in Snowy Montana... Ready to read a book without SNOW and a Sick Psycho!!! A book that was long drawn out because of a trip to VEGAS, so glad it's done...
OpenBookSociety.com
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

Selena Alvarez and Regan Pescoli are back in Lisa Jackson’s newest installment of the To Die series, Afraid to Die. This time Selena’s past that she has worked so hard to bury is coming back to haunt her in the form of an old boyfriend and a son that she gave up for adoption. All the secrets Selena has tried so hard to keep from those around her in her ‘new’ life are slowly being revealed and the floodgates on her emotions she’s kept hidden inside are finally
Janie Johnson
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-challenge
This is the fourth book in the 'to die' series. And I have to say I have loved every single book in this series so far. With each installment, the stories just get better and better. I don't think I can really choose a favorite between the ones I have read so far. They are all equally good in story telling, writing, imagery and character development.

In this installment there is another psycho serial killer, again targeting women in Grizzly Falls, again in the ice cold temperatures of Montana. Th
Terri Lynn
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this 4th book about police detectives Selena Alvarez and Regan Pescoli.

We follow Pescoli's problems as the single mom of a 20 year old immature son Jeremy who thinks he should live rent-free off of his mother and be a slacker who plays computer games and runs around with friends. Her 16 year old daughter Bianca loves spending time with her stepmom Michelle at her dad's much more electronically endowed home and is equally troublesome. Frankly, if I were Regan, I would drop Jeremy
Darlene
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favourite installment in the To Die series so far!

I love going back to Jackson’s Grizzly Falls. I love the setting of Montana’s Bitterroot Mountains and the snowy landscape, and the story is always set around Christmas. The murders in this story are particularly chilling (pun intended!). The killer abducts women, strips them naked, and pours water over them until they are encased in ice. He also adorns each victim with a piece of Detective Selena Alvarez’s jewelry. It’s definitely personal!

De
Naomi
May 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book started off so strong and creepy in the actions of the serial killer and the smartassedness of a supporting character. I was thrilled that I found another twisted sister who wasn't afraid to show her inner twistedness. As with most thriller/mysteries written by female mystery writers, it then took the romance dance/loaded down with emotions route. With a "roll the eyes", pointless "well that is stupid" twist (note..not twistedness) point at the end that left with a nice heartwarming fe ...more
Nancy
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Quite suspenseful. Keeps your interest. Fast paced.

AFRAID TO SCREAM
Others may dread the chill of winter, but he relishes it. The way the frigid water preserves his victims, the feel of their icy skin beneath his fingers... And soon the world will see their beauty—and his vengeance.

AFRAID TO RUN
The town of Grizzly Falls is on edge in the wake of a serial killer, and Detective Selena Alvarez is no exception. That case was solved, but a new nightmare is about to unfold. There are two vi
Diane
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very creepy, psychopathic serial killer loose again in the town of Grizzly Falls and oh my it's just before Christmas - again - and big snow storms - again.

I do like the main characters and this storyline, but maybe it's time for a new setting. And it is time for the Regan Pescoli to grow a set - enough already, move in with Santana, stop letting your kids walk all over you and put your foot down and mean it - gets tiresome.

Finally we learn about Alvarez's back story and she has come to grips
Maya
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I probably should have started with the first book in this series first, of course. If I had, it probably would have gotten 5 stars. I haven't really done any crime fiction before because it's not really my thing, but Jackson definitely made it interesting. The chapters from the killer's perspective were different and intriguing, and definitely didn't give away the twist at the end! I was really happy with this one and plan to go back and read the rest of this series. I just hope I like the earl ...more
Autumn
The fourth in the "To Die" series started off as a definate page-turner, as the reader was able to get an automatic glimpse into the killer's head. It's about a man who turns women into ice sculptures and puts them on display all over the town of Grizzly Falls. It is also about a former lover of Alvarez's and a teenage boy with a mysterious connection to her.

It was an awesome book, and I had a hard time putting it down. It is definately a must read to those who like crime and mystery.
Melody
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-tbr
I've really enjoyed this series, like I've said in the past reviews, but "Afraid to Die" the fourth book the To Die series by Lisa Jackson, i didn't feel like it had as much suspense as the other books in the series, and there wasn't as many new characters in this book, and the authors writing, a few times, I caught a few mistakes in it.But overall, like I said it's been an awesome series.
Bonna Hicks
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hand-me-downs
eh.

So if I took what I read in this book to heart I would believe that all cops don't give a flying flip about rules or "orders" and just do what they want when they want...and don't actually "solve" anything but just get it handed to them and luckily kill the bad guy...I did like the dogs though.
Kirsten
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers-read
Always a good read. Loved learning more about Selena. Lisa always thinks up some twisted stuff, and I love it!! Always keeps me guessing as to who the bad guy is - love that too. Definitely not predictable!
  • Don't Cry
  • Blind Spot
  • Enchantress (Medieval Trilogy, #1)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me (Lucy Kincaid, #2)
  • Scared To Death (Live to Tell #2)
  • Wrong Place, Wrong Time
  • What Doesn't Kill You (Catherine Ling, #2)
  • Haven (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #13)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

To Die (8 books)
  • Left To Die (To Die, #1)
  • Chosen To Die (To Die, #2)
  • Born To Die (To Die, #3)
  • Ready to Die (To Die, #5)
  • Deserves To Die (To Die, #6)
  • Expecting to Die (To Die, #7)
  • Willing to Die (To Die #8)
“she felt that little tingle at the base of her skull that warned her of bad news.” 0 likes
“Father, be with me. Give me strength. Let me never fall into temptation again. Please, Father of all, lead me. Give me strength. I pray for this and all things in Jesus’s name. Amen.” 0 likes