Start by marking “Celebrity in Death (In Death, #34)” as Want to Read:
Celebrity in Death (In Death, #34)

Celebrity in Death

(In Death #34)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  22,801 ratings  ·  1,326 reviews
Lieutenant Eve Dallas is no party girl, but she's managing to have a good time at the celebrity-packed bash celebrating 'The Icove Agenda', a film based on one of her cases. What comes as a surprise however is seeing the actress who plays Peabody drowned in the pool on the roof of the director's luxury building. ...more
Published February 21st 2012 by Piatkus Books (first published February 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Celebrity in Death, please sign up.
Marie Bent Better if you start with the earlier ones but each story is self contained and always gives a quick mention of Roarkes and Dallas's histories. …moreBetter if you start with the earlier ones but each story is self contained and always gives a quick mention of Roarkes and Dallas's histories. (less)
Wendy This site uses #.5 for the novellas, so Celebrity ends up being #34 using that system.
Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,509 books — 15,649 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenInsurgent by Veronica RothGone Girl by Gillian FlynnCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClarePandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Best Books of 2012
3,400 books — 9,506 voters

More lists with this book...

·  22,801 ratings  ·  1,326 reviews

Start your review of Celebrity in Death (In Death, #34)
Jen
As always, I’m impressed with the fact I’m at book #34 and love everything about the characters and story line that JD Robb has written! I always feel like I’m coming home to friends and family when I read about the gang! Each book is a different murder case, and somehow the author keeps the cases fresh and exciting!

Of course all I have to say is Roarke! Those of you that have fallen in love with him will know exactly how I feel about that man!!! Him and Eve have the best relationship, and I lov
Phrynne
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Celebrity in Death takes us back into a calmer world after the high drama of New York to Dallas. It is still a great read though with lots of police work and an intriguing story.

All our favourite characters are on board and it is great to have Peabody back to provide all the lovely humour that comes from putting her and Eve into the same vehicle. Eve is maybe a little softer, a little more introspective, following her huge emotional upheavals in the last book and we get to see this several times
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Loved it so much! ;)

Eve & Roarke are the BEST! <3

“Got you now,” he murmured, nipping lightly at her shoulder. “A bit of a tickle and you turn into a girl.”
“You’re looking for trouble.”
“Oh, that I am, and as you’re all naked with girlish squeals under me, I think I can find it.”
“We’ll see who squeals, pal.” She caught his earlobe, not so lightly, between her teeth.
“That was a yelp,” he claimed. “And a manly one.”
She levered up, so he used the momentum to roll again, once, twice, until they ende
♥Sharon♥
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I will never tire of this series. Nope. Never. I just love Eve and Roarke and all the others. How J.D. Robb does it I haven’t a clue. I am kind of happy in one way being late to this party. I never have to wait for the next one to come out!!

A good friend just said to me that I will probably finish this series by the end of the year. I panicked for a minute thinking what am I going to do without Eve, Roarke and the whole gang. But….phew…..I have lots of .5’s to read. 😊

I listened to the audio for
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
A very good installment in the Death series. Eve is completely authentic as a tough police woman, but I like that Roarke sees her in a more intimate way as his wife. Yet he embraces her as a strong woman and stands by her side. That's a good man! The mystery was good, although it did drag a bit towards the end. Still, it was an excellent book despite that fact.

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur in the February 2012 issue. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Jilly
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This one started out pretty fun because we have our favorite characters meeting their actor counterparts who are playing them in a movie about one of the earlier cases. As usual, it's all fun and games until someone murders Peabody... well, fake Peabody.

more like an evil twin

Fake Peabody was such a jerk that pretty much everyone wanted to kill her. I kinda wanted to kill her. And, we all know how unusual it is for me to want to kill a book character.

How dare you, Mittens! You don't know me! You
Alex ♈
Brilliantly written, good suspense, intrigue till the end.
TBH I didn't like how much they trashed the victim... she was an evil person, but it was slightly exaggerated.

I flove Eve, such a strong woman!
Tha gaol agam ort, Eve! 💖

Mo
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 34 and still as good as the previous books in the series. The crime might not have been as gruesome as in other books but it still kept me interested.

Eve. I adore her. I love her sassiness, her spirit, her sexiness, her independence, her attitude in a "male dominated" world. Most of her colleagues are men.

Roarke. what can I say that I haven't already said before. Sexy, adores "his darling Eve", always ready to drop what he is doing to help her out. He is perfect.

Peabody is as fabulous
Dianne
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I never knew how much I looked forward to the chase scenes, shootings, stabbing and all the other excitement that permeated these books, until I read this one. I never thought I would find myself saying that an Eve Dallas book could be boring, but this one was.

Eve, Roarke and Dehlia have been invited to the party that is celebrating the movie (vid) "The Icove Agenda". While there, nasty words are exchanged between the actress playing Peabody and almost everyone who is at the party. Naturally, sh
Allison (The Allure of Books)
As I’ve talked about many times before on the blog, the In Death books are my all time favorite series. The newest installment, Celebrity in Death by J.D. Robb, is no exception! It releases today, and fans of the series should definitely expect an awesome addition to Eve & Roarke’s adventures.

Now, as long time fans know, these books are oftentimes pretty much the same. I obviously don’t mean that as an insult – I just mean that we basically know what to expect by now. J.D. Robb definitely gave m
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review

Cover: Follows previous molds.
Rating NC-17 for a few sexual scenes.
Thumbs Up: 4.5
Overall: Really Good
Characters: Well written as always
Plot: Was interesting.
Page Turner: Yes.
Series Cont.? Yes, definitely
Recommend Yes.
Book Boyfriend: Julian

SUMMARY (50 word or less)

J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts) wrote another stellar tale in the Eve Dallas series (in Death series). This story was intended to be less heavy than the last and a slightly more than average case. I wasn’t blow away by i
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
June 27, 2019 - Rereading for group buddy read!

One of the very few In Death books that read "slow" to me. Love the relationship scenes - Eve & Roarke, Eve & Peabody - they were awesome, as always. The suspense side just lacked the intensity I'm accustomed to with this series, as I didn't feel the usual urgency during the hunt & capture of the killer. Still, Peabody in pink cowboy boots & Eve wearing Roarke's gift of a magic coat makes it a worthwhile read! Love the characters in this series!
Dina
This is the longest series I follow and it's still the best.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: I want to be Eve, be married to Roarke, exchange snarky barbs with Summerset, be BFF with Mavis and have Leonardo design my wardrobe, have Peabody as my partner and be disgusted by McNab's fashion style, have Feeney as my mentor, have tea with Dr. Mira, be harassed by Trina... The list goes on and on. I just love this series!
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I know that every book after NY2D is anticlimatic, but I did enjoy this one. A very different twist/story line and isn't that what it's all about?

Some good banter between Peabody and Eve - and we learn about Peabody's new pink cowboy boots!!!

Nadine plays a bigger role not only as Eve's friend but a very good investigative reporter and interviewer - really liked her role in that.

I also liked where Eve actually contacted Summerset to book a "flight" for some cops to pick up evidence in Calif
Trisha
I seem to be in the minority on my opinion of this book. I'm a huge fan of Nora Roberts and the In Death series. Huge. But I felt this installment was lacking. There was no action at all and little emotion. Maybe I'm just getting bored with the series, but I was disappointed. I judge a book by how easy it is to put it down and it took me 3 days to read it when normally I get through an In Death in less than a day. ...more
Mei
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary

”“Celebrity murders,” he muttered. “They’ll probably make another goddamn vid.” At Eve’s stunned, slightly horrified expression, he smiled. “You could make book on it,” he said. “Keep me updated. And don’t be late for the media conference.”
“Shit,” Eve said when he’d gone out. “Shit. He could be right.”
“Who’d play me in this one? I mean, it’s really wild, isn’t it? Somebody playing me investigating the murder of somebody who was playing me. And then there’s—”
“Don’t. You’re giving me a headache
Lady Lioness
I'm glad I re-read Origin in Death before Celebrity in Death. It probably wasn't strictly necessary, but having the details fresh in my mind added on an extra layer of fun for me. Anywho, I practically stood on the front porch waiting for the UPS guy and promptly devoured the book in about two hours. Probably going to re-read parts before bed.

So what to tell you? Well, the person I thought did it didn't, Eve gets another mag coat, and there are some terrific Peabody/McNab moments. Nadine also g
Lena
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
4-A1-DBA38-AF6-E-499-C-9-FDB-9-EBE0773915-E
Dallas don’t care!
The Icove case has become a feature film which means when one of the stars is killed at the afterparty Eve will have a famous pool of suspects.

Previous Review
I haven't read them all or even in order but I always enjoy them and never feel like I have missed a stretch of time; like soap operas. JD has a gift and I know I'm never going to be disappointed picking up an In Death book.
Kathy Davie
Thirty-fourth in the In Death futuristic romantic suspense series revolving around Eve Dallas and Roarke...yum… This one is about the Icove case being made into a movie.

My Take
It was good. I also think of it as a bridge novel in that it carries on from Nadine having written the true crime book about the Icove case (see Origin in Death and we are in on the shenanigans behind filming the movie. We still have its world premiere coming up---hence my designation as a bridge.

Could be the kiss of d
Lynn Cahoon
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What happens when Dallas is in a locked room mystery? She finds the killer. Great mix of film and future.
Wendy
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another really good addition to J.D. Robb's "In Death" series! ...more
Carol
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
FIRST READ: Celebrity in Death is a serial thriller that is taking time to figure out who the killer is. Eve has arranged her board and had staff and commander in to review and discuss what her thoughts are and what they need to do to nail this guy. Second read of this book. Didn't remember very much at all about it.

SECOND READ: We find out that Roarke owns this upper class bar when this horrible event happens. There were about 80+ people that were killed in In this thriller in the #1 New York T
Ren Puspita
4,5 stars

While I (almost)sad to see Roarke's scene become less than New York to Dallas, I enjoy Eve and Peabody partnership here. Also, finally the investigation back to basic (like guess who's the real culprit are).

At last, Roarke never do me wrong. I guess, I will always smitten by him, and all my friend already tired to hear I'm gushing after him everyday ;)
CatBookMom
I've been working away at this, and last night finished it by trying out reading/listening with my Kindle Fire and the Whispersync feature for the last few chapters. I was able to set the audio speed at 1.25 and didn't notice any significant difference. ...more
Thenia
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Eve is invited to dinner with the cast of the upcoming vid based on one of her previous cases, and her more pleasant than she expected evening is ruined by murder.

Her suspects are all in the house, the victim was liked by no one and caused a number of problems to many of them and reading the suspects is harder than usual, considering that most of them are actors.

Eve and Peabody are determined to solve the case and with a lot of digging and good investigating, eliminate some and lean towards othe
Steve
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-death, fiction
I found this difficult to put down, and I enjoyed the small focus on minor characters throughout this fascinating look at New York with Dallas and Roarke. I found the opening interesting, and a departure from the main storyline, which neatly led into it. The usual amount of hijinks, plot twists and body count pulled us toward to a rather delicious climax. I enjoyed the resolution, there was more of it than normal, and as is custom, I can't wait to read the next in the series. ...more
Lauren
Celebrity in Death
4 Stars

Pleasure turns into business for Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her partner when the actress portraying Detective Delia Peabody in "The Icove Agenda" is murdered at a cast party. The trouble is that the victim was a nasty piece of work who antagonized virtually every person that she met, so Eve and Peabody are forced to sort through numerous suspects and motives.

The mystery is good albeit reminiscent of Witness in Death in terms of the setting and suspect pool. The numerous
Ann Lorz
Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog: http://www.romancingthereaders.com/20...

I have been really enjoying getting caught up on my J. D. Robb's. I used to love really them but got behind and for a while just kept on pushing them to the side.

Now that I have been back to them I try to do read at least one book a month or more. Up this time is Celebrity in Death. I really enjoyed this one. It's a little different. Usually, we get into the murder pretty much right away but with this one, you kin
Mara
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Solid character work, but a Hollywood related story line is always a hard sell for me in a mystery, so this one wasn't a fav ...more
Kristi
So many times authors start off a series with a really well-developed set of characters and a great plot idea, but over time the author seems to forget that people (whether fictional or real) are changed by the events that occur. It becomes increasing frustrating to the faithful series reader, and they become bored when the author fails to allow the characters to change and grow over time.

JD Robb's readers keep coming back for more, because the characters remain the heart of the In Death series
J.D. Robb : Celebrity In Death Buddy Read - July 2019 38 21 Aug 17, 2019 05:22PM
J.D. Robb : Celebrity In Death (Spoiler Zone) 92 153 Jan 19, 2017 08:11AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Celebrity In Death (June 2015) - Spoiler Zone 32 25 Jun 21, 2015 04:01PM
new release 10 100 Oct 07, 2013 05:30AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Celebrity in Death by J.D. Robb 1 3 Mar 06, 2012 08:29AM

• Treacherous Estate
  • Deadly Act (Kylie Hatfield #1)
  • Unofficial Series List - J.D. Robb - In Order: In Death novels, novellas, and short stories
  • Hot Rocks
  • Bad Intent Volume 1
  • Sky Woman Falling
  • Hideaway
  • The Awakening (The Dragon Heart Legacy, #1)
  • Roam's Valentine Wish (Dragonlings of Valdier Book 7)
  • High Noon
  • Borrow Trouble
  • Born to Be Wild
  • Cover Girls
  • Deep in the Alaskan Woods (Alaska Wild #1)
  • Letters to an Incarcerated Brother: Encouragement, Hope, and Healing for Inmates and Their Loved Ones
  • Flirting With Danger (Samantha Jellicoe, #1)
  • Witness to Death
  • Face the Fire (Three Sisters Island, #3)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Shadows in Death(St. Martin's Press, September 2020) is ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)