Start by marking “Maisy Goes Camping: A Maisy First Experience Book” as Want to Read:
Maisy Goes Camping: A Maisy First Experience Book

Maisy Goes Camping: A Maisy First Experience Book

(Maisy)

Five in the tent! A camping trip with Maisy turns into a slapstick comedy of errors in this hilarious picture-book adventure.

When Maisy sets off to go camping in the country, it’s only natural that all her friends come along, too. But they soon find that pitching a tent is not an easy thing to do. Even if they do manage to keep the tent up, there’s the matter of fitting the
Published April 12th 2004 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Maisy Goes Camping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maisy Goes Camping

Start your review of Maisy Goes Camping: A Maisy First Experience Book
Craig Sisterson
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
The illustrations in the Maisy books are wonderful - full of colour and life for the little ones. In this story, Maisy goes camping with her friends, getting into hijinks as they set up camp but can't all fit in the tent. It's a fun wee story, told in pretty straightforward prose rather than rhyme. My daughter enjoyed it, but we missed some of the wordplay, rhyming, or 'fun soundalouds' in other kids books. A good one to get out of the library, or buy for kids who particularly love Maisy Mouse o ...more
Emily
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: iris
Some of the Maisy First Experience books seem like they're actually designed to give very little kids an introduction to common experiences (Maisy Goes on Vacation, Maisy Goes Swimming, Maisy Goes to the Museum). This one is decidedly not an introduction to camping, though, and is instead about whether all of Maisy's friends can fit into the tent (spoiler: they cannot). I prefer the other ones, although Iris enjoyed this just fine and had me read it five times in a row.
Lisa
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 3.5-year-old and I love the Maisy books. Each one is brief, simple and cheerful. There are no obstacles or problems, just everyday fun activities. I like the First Experiences books because they present the experience in a completely enjoyable way, so don't introduce the idea that the experience is something to be nervous about.
Adrianna Laskowski
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
John
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: addyvi
I like this book because the elephant can fit in one, but Maisy and her other friends can't fit in the tent with the elephant because he is too big and then there's no more room so they need to sleep on their camping mats.
Katy
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is decently sweet, but it's a little young for the program I am planning. Could be used in the future for a short storytime book.
Emily Carlyn
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
This is a great Maisy story. Maisy and her friends have fun camping, but they have a BIG problem - will they solve it?!
Amanda
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lochlan-books
A very cute Maisy camping book. A nice introduction to tent camping with friends.
Christine Grant
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Camping Story Time. Simple story of Maisy and her friends sleeping under the stars. Appropriate for toddlers.
Beth Singleton
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the realm of the pre-k crowd, I love Maisy and her friends. Lucy Cousins artwork combines bright colors and the perfect amount of detail without being too distracting. She also has a knack for writing a storyline that introduces little ones to new vocabulary and sentences without losing her audience.

Hands down, this is my favorite of Maisy's adventures. Without being preachy, kids see how Maisy and her friends tackle problems and find solutions to putting up a tent, a daunting cha
RC
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
With her usual bright colors and simple text, Lucy Cousin's delivers another great addition to the Maisy series. Maisy Goes Camping is a simple story about friends going camping, but it contains great social-emotional messages about not giving up, along with some useful counting practice.

Overall, this is a sweet story that is a little deeper than it first appears.
Hope4flowers
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookshenrysread
Henry(at 4 years old) loves this one and asks to read it again and again. It has beautiful, bright illustrations and big easy to read simple words. A great book to point with your finger to the words as you read the book. I'll occasionally have him tell me what the words are. He can usually figure it out from the context and memory and it helps him become familiar with different words.
Elisabeth
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a perfect book to read to our 4 year old to get him ready for the idea of camping. And it has a counting element that isn't patronizing doesn't overwhelm the story like many other counting books do.
Emerson and Theodore
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
Another hit in the Maisy series. This time they all go camping, culminating in the whole group of friends trying to fit into the tent! They end up sleeping outside under the stars when Eddie the elephant tries to get into the tent.
Dewey
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maisy and her friends go camping...the story is pretty straightforward, but it's cute, and I think kids would be into it. Plus you get some funny counting action in at the end! I would use this for a camping storytime.
Joy
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
My daughters received this book for Christmas and so far, the oldest enjoys it.

Maisy and her friends all go on a camping trip. They set up their tent and then settle in for the night but will they all fit?

My daughter enjoys the part where they count the characters as they go into the tent.
Ellias
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it
We read this before our second season of camping out, and I thought it was pretty funny. The only thing is has to do with camping is sleeping in a tent, but I know all the characters names when they pop out, so I still made Mommy read it about a hundred times.
jacky
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it
A nice addition to the Maisy series. It is really more about teamwork and compromise than camping, but it does introduce things associated with camping through the pictures. Natalie learned about sleeping bags and sleeping under the stars. Also a counting book up to five.
Leah
A simple story with colorful illustrations. Invites children to count the number of animals in the tent, while introducing a camping/outdoors theme. Used in camping storytime with 0-5 year olds with some success.
Ingrid
My best book for camping storytime. It worked for both age groups. The basics of camping are introduced as well as themes of friendship, counting, bright colors, and humor. Also works well as an easy reader.
Tricia
Jun 20, 2009 rated it liked it
as a maisy book goes, this would be one of the better ones. when the friends go camping, setting up the tent and turning in for the night are the main focus of the book. would be good if an all ages storytime on the green turned all "two-year-old" on the presenter.
Emily
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
A very simple book about a group of friends and a trip camping. The book could be good for preK or Kindergarten. The font size is large and the pictures are easy to understand, making this a good book for them.
C
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"Pop" (giggle, giggle).
Polly
Fine for a summer story time.
Katya Epstein
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Short and simple. My two-year-old daughter laughs out loud every time I read it to her. I find the illustrations a little crude, but they're good enough.
Jessica
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Meet Maisy and her friends in this great introduction to camping for younger kids. Funny. Pages are colorful with full page illustrations.
Brittney S.
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
We love all the Maisy books.
Teacher.
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: monday10
We liked this one! Maisy and the crew go camping and fill a tent with friends and fun!
Dylan Reisz
Jun 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Anything with Maisy is a "good read." In this one, she shares a tent with her closest pals, but Eddie the Elephant is so big, everyone but him ends up sleeping outside the tent.

• Go, Dog. Go!
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
  • Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • The Cross Rabbit (Percy's Park)
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • Be Brave Little Penguin
  • The Gruffalo
  • Where's Spot?
  • Play It Again, Mozart! (Geronimo Stilton Graphic Novels, #8)
  • Who Stole the Mona Lisa? (Geronimo Stilton Graphic Novels, #6)
  • The Ghost of Grey Fox Inn (Nancy Drew Diaries #13)
  • Geronimo's Valentine (Geronimo Stilton, #36)
  • Big Egg
  • The Great Ice Age (Geronimo Stilton Graphic Novels, #5)
  • Into the Land of the Lost (The Secrets of Droon, #7)
  • The Secret of the Snow (Thea Stilton: Special Edition #3)
  • The Quest for Paradise: The Return to the Kingdom of Fantasy (The Kingdom of Fantasy #2)
Lucy Cousins, BA Honours in Graphic Design from The Faculty of Arts and Architecture, Brighton Polytechnic, postgraduate degree from Royal College of Art, is an author-illustrator of children's books. She is best known for her books featuring Maisy Mouse but she has also published other children's books including one about Noah's Ark. She is a mother of four and lives in Hampshire, England. Her ow ...more

Maisy (1 - 10 of 140 books)
  • Maisy Goes to the Library
  • Maisy's Bedtime
  • Maisy Big, Maisy Small
  • Doctor Maisy
  • Maisy Drives the Bus
  • Maisy's Pool
  • Maisy Cleans Up
  • Maisy Takes a Bath
  • Maisy's Rainbow Dream (Maisy)
  • Maisy Makes Gingerbread