Start by marking “Damnation Marked (Descent, #4)” as Want to Read:
Damnation Marked (Descent, #4)

Damnation Marked

(Descent #4)

There's something in the earth deep below Elise Kavanagh's territory. A shadow is falling upon local demons to devour their flesh and harvest their souls. And it's coming for Elise next.

The Union has an easy way out. They want to send Elise into hiding again with her former partner, James Faulkner. All she has to do is surrender the territory and trust that they can protec
Paperback, 1st Edition, 352 pages
Published November 3rd 2012 by Red Iris Books

To ask other readers questions about Damnation Marked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damnation Marked

Start your review of Damnation Marked (Descent, #4)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
And the moral of this rereread is: That Scene with Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler (not the character's real name, in case you were wondering) is one (if not The) of the Most Deliciously Fished Up Things Ever (MDFUTE™). Because I said so and stuff.

"Almost?" Really? I'm afraid you read That Scene quite wrong, Edgar Dear. There's naught "almost" orgasmic about it, I assure you. Just ask Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler.

👋 To be continued and stuff.

[February 2017]

Bloody Valentine Marital Buddy Read (BVMBR™) with
Choko
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4.25 ***

A buddy read with the love of my life @ the MacHalo Freaks!!!

Elise, what are you doing, girl??? Could you do any more damage to yourself and the people around you with the complete disregard for danger, which seems to be attracted to you like a magnet?!?!? Do you realize you are breakable and mortal, and those around you even more so? How do you have the courage to face enumerable, much more powerful enemies with only a sword and a prayer??? Of course things are not going to be goin
Denisa
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Still pretty good.
At the same time, it doesn't seem to want to go over the 3-star mark.

So yes, worth continuing.
Kelly
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
O.O Elise doesn't know how to take the easy way out of anything, does she? She's a fighter. Even when the odds are stacked against her and her man-witch and she aren't on the best of terms, she barrels in head first and tries to do the right thing.

She's so tortured by all the ones she hasn't managed to save, too. Her exhaustion at life and at battling against the things that go bump in the night is tangible. Yet, when the chips are down, she's not ready to roll over and die. She wants to live. S
Audrey
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read the first five books in this series and thoroughly enjoyed the various plot twists and raw/hidden emotions of the characters. The relationship between Elise and James becomes even more frustrating to the reader as James allows Stephanie to drive a larger wedge between them. And he seems so clueless as to why Elise tries so hard to avoid him.

Haven't seen many people actually pointing out that they like the non-linear storytelling... I enjoy how that creates two related stories in the bo
Erin Zarro
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. It's the darkest one so far in the series, and there is a lot of action and suspense. It never really slows down. It's one thing after another and grabs you by the throat and won't let you go.

The thing that got me the most was a HUGE revelation for one of the characters -- it's so huge, I didn't believe my eyes. It will definitely complicate things for sure.

We're told more of Elise and James's backstory, which is always good.

And the end...a word of warning: get ready to fre
iva
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the ending
it was unexpected
Elena Linville
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everything that happened in this book is a direct consequence of the events in the previous books as well as the actions the characters took or chose not to takes. In that sense, this book feels like the end of a cycle. It wraps up a story arc and a character arc for Elise.

Elise's problem has always been her inability to connect with her own emotions, share emotional moments with others, or even to recognize emotions in others. In this book we learn more about her upbringing, and frankly, I'm n
Samantha Kane
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So what to say about this series!?! Lord of mighty what not to say. It’s well written, thought out and addictive! I’ve read all books in order and I’m jumping to the next. I’m giving no spoilers as I started reading this series blind and I was better for it. Trust me people, take a chance and you won’t regret it. SM Reine’s world is believable, so much so that I cried through the last few chapters! Sobbed like a baby and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

How do you know a book or a series of books ar
Nancy D   Miz-Firefly aka Sparky
Talk about a fist to the solar plexus. This book almost killed me.
Darlene
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans (Reno/Tahoe)
Recommended to Darlene by: SM Reine
I've done it again! Grrrr! Ever get done with one book in a series and without stopping to do a review, jump right in and read the next book? Well, that's what I did. Now I am 80% into book five and I can't remember book four. But that should give you a bit of an idea about how well I liked the book. I couldn't wait to see what would happen to the characters.

This book didn't end with a cliffhanger, by the way. One could very well let it go and read the next book when they can. But Reno and Taho
Casey Keen
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Llaph
Elise is a wonderfully complex character to me. She is purported to be really powerful, but things aren’t so easy for her. On one hand it looks like you might get what she is feeling or thinking, then she does something totally different. Some people accuse her of being emotionless and unfeeling then she does something like risk her life for an entire city. Not so unfeeling sounding is it?

I really like reading her books so far. I read this book right after Once Darkness Falls so it was quite ill
Suzy
I wasn't sure about this series when I first started it...I liked it, but I was annoyed because it took a long time for things to be explained. But let me tell you, it's worth the wait! This book totally blew me away. When I got to the end of it I felt like I'd survived an explosion it was so powerful! I told my husband he has to read this series and he can't stop until he reads to the end of this book. I told my son the same. It was really amazing. Some of the best writing I've read in a long t ...more
Lou
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
She does have a heart, I knew she did! This book has not only been action packed but gritty and raw with emotions.

The last third of the book was so addictive I couldn't put it down, my heart sped from chapter to chapter needing to know what happens next.

I love the past flashbacks it really gives you perspective on both Elise and James personalities and the dynamic of their bond. a significant moment for me was captured with just two words,

Still?
Always!

And then the end, well! Book 5 is calling m
Sandra
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5
The series is pretty addictive but I am not bent yet to give it full unquestionable 4 stars because I am always finding myself expecting more of it and found sometimes infuriating the behaviour of a lot of characters, though at the same time I love them: Elisa, James (view spoiler), Thom, an important lead in this dark story, even Neuma. And no, Anthony has never been interesting to me a
Kaisa "Giga"
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome, angels, uf, sm-reine
Shit just got real. Really real. One of the oldest demons is suicidal and she rampages through Reno in her mission to die. Elise is caught in between trying to stop her and James and UKA trying to haul her to safety. She knows she is the only one who can stop the suicidal demon destroying the world. She is the Godslayer after all.

James is now correcting his ways, yes! Antony is as annoying as ever. Thom shows his true colors and reveals his true identity. Elise might have a death wish too...

The
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
Reading because it's raved and I was curious with the relationship..... But you know what? I recognize this. It wasn't completely sure until I reached the final pages but yes I know this book. I know this series. I read it a long time ago. It's been so long.... This book is better than what I remember. ...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it

Elise has come through a lot in the last few years and is still reeling - but Reno is her territory and she’s determined to protect it

When a new dark threat rises from beneath, it may be beyond the limited resources she has left to deal with it… especially when she’s so alone. But is she ready to look to the Union for support?

And is this something the Union can deal with? Or can only Elise, the Godslayer, take down this threat? And at what cost?

I swear this series is my white whale. I read a boo
Melanie Page
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every book gives us something new about the two main characters, Elise and James. After stealing a book from The Union, he gets some surprising news, and while he gets that news we learn that there may be something more to him that we (and Elise) don't know. We also get insight into where Elise comes from and why she has these symbols on her hands, why she is called the Godslayer. It's a sad story, but it makes sense and heightens this character into a new realm in my mind.

The villain was all co
Alexandria Woods
Jan 03, 2021 rated it liked it
*****Spoilers*****

Elise was so annoying to me in this book in a way that I realize that I was a little more forgiving of in previous books. Would it kill her to treat the people around her better, I'm thinking Anthony who gave up so much for her and James who is hiding something but still cares at least. The attitude, refusal to speak about anything, refusal to seek help or admit when she's well over her head, not realizing that she could be the catalyst on her own to allow the gate to open, the
Ash  Grey
ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL !!
ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS !!

It is packed with SO much Action and pure Badassery performed by our Honourable Queen of Badasses - Ms Elise Kavanagh. I started getting giddy as I read this book just imagining the possibilities.

I have to say- The world-building is marvellous. Reine introduces new characters without making it seem like they are going over your head in the 3rd Person. If I had an Author's I Worship with Bloody Black-Hearts - Reine would definitely be the topmost m
Shiny
This one was more frustrating to read than the previous books in the series. Why must everything be so hard, why is Elise so messed up, argh, it was painful and not that enjoyable. I liked the premise itself, just not what the main character was doing. She's not very good at her job, is she? How did Elise survived until now at all with such poor planning and management skills? Argh, again!
(But, obviously, I will read the next one in the series, duh, she kicks ass)
Anu
Oct 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr
First half 3, second half 4 = 3.5

Oh my goodness SM Reine knows how to write action scenes. I wanted a little more character development, but we get some there in the end. Most of the time, I do feel like I can connect with Elise. She's just so broken that I can't help but love her and want the best for her.

James is a special kind of idiot most times. Watching him reject Elise oof hit me. The ending was the best part of this whole thing. Felt cinematic in the best way.
Julia Stephanie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Joanna Pedagno
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Witches and Demons and Angels, oh my!

Superbly written. A real rollercoaster ride of non-stop action. The saga of Elise and James continues to unfold with mind boggling questions and just out of reach answers. Jump on board.
Victoria
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm starting to really love this series. Definitely the best so far and a lot of what was teased in the first 3 novels finally comes together and we get some answers. ...more
Susan
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad I discovered this author! I love her books.
Susan Little
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!!!

Left me wondering enough to make me start the next book right away. Just a great read. Especially if you like demons and vampires and slayers
Sam Allen
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best so far from this series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Betrayal (The 1000 Revolution, #1)
  • A Stroke of Midnight (Merry Gentry, #4)
  • Mistral's Kiss (Merry Gentry, #5)
  • Seduced by Moonlight (Merry Gentry, #3)
  • A Caress of Twilight (Merry Gentry, #2)
  • Dark Glass (Montague & Strong Case Files #11)
  • Wolves (I Bring the Fire, #1)
  • Beyond the Veil (The Veil, #1)
  • Escape (The 1000 Revolution, #2)
  • Trapped (The 1000 Revolution, #3)
  • Trust (The 1000 Revolution, #4)
  • Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5)
  • Jett's Wild Wolf (Mystic Wolves #3)
  • When He Was Wicked: The 2nd Epilogue (Bridgertons, #6.5)
  • Broomsticks and Burials (Magic & Mystery #1)
  • Stronger Than Magic (House of Xannon #1)
  • A Lick of Frost (Merry Gentry, #6)
  • Knights Magica (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #5)
Hi everyone! My name is Sara, and I write urban fantasy and paranormal novels as SM Reine. I collect swords, cat hair, and typewriters (which I do use for writing!). It's a good day when those three things have nothing to do with each other.

If you would like to know the instant my next book is available, you should enlist in my Army of Evil! We have a wicked cool secret handshake, but you'll have

Descent (7 books)
  • Death's Hand (Descent, #1)
  • The Darkest Gate (Descent, #2)
  • Dark Union (Descent, #3)
  • Dire Blood (Descent, #5)
  • Defying Fate (Descent, #6)
  • Paradise Damned (Descent, #7)