Start by marking “The Very Scary Almanac” as Want to Read:
The Very Scary Almanac

The Very Scary Almanac

A compendium of trivia, facts, and lore about the world of the supernatural and the occult furnishes information on topics ranging from cannibalism, Ouija boards, and the Bermuda Triangle to vampires, zombies, poltergeists, and werewolves.
Published July 12th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 10th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Scary Almanac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Scary Almanac

Chloe
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much as a kid that I eagerly repurchased it when I found a used copy as an adult.
Amanda Harris
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book, set in many different places around the world, informs the reader of many interesting things ranging from witchcraft, ghosts, vampires, zombies, horror movies, superstitions, and other scary and weird subjects. This fast paced read takes the reader on a fantastically, creepy journey through all kinds of weird and strange things. Did you know that "according to English tradition", it is unlucky to be born on May 17? Did you know that the plural of Genie is Jinn? Have you ever been abdu ...more
Thuraya
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'd checked this out at the library countless times as a child...pouring over the pages and hiding it from my parents like a delicious secret. I thought I was very well studied and knowledgeable back then about all things dark and strange and grim...now it's just a fun item of nostalgia on my shelf (presented to me thoughtfully on a birthday in my adult years by my boyfriend whom I'd brought to the library in the town I'd grown up in to shared with him this child secret).

This was one of my intro
Conal Cochran
Man, this book pushed all the right buttons when I was a kid. Gruesome and adult enough to delight a morbid child, but not so nasty as to be inappropriate or truly frightening. I still vividly remember the illustrations and explanations of torture methods, and the gleeful rogues' gallery of the wickedest people in history (Vlad the Impaler, Aleister Crowley, Countess Bathory, Lizzy Borden). Good, clean, wholesome--yet sick and depraved-- fun.
Dan Gladwell
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nerdy
Loved this book when i was in 5th grade, and I think about it often. In fact, I think I'll pick it up on Amazon. It's just a fun little book full of light hearted ghost and vampire stories. Can't get enough!
Ehren
Nov 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book practically made me who I am today. This was my introduction not only to ghost-hunting and fears of cannibal tribes in New Gunea, but Aleister Crowley, Vlad the Impaler and Nosferatu. Lovely little children's book that I carried with me everywhere for many many years.
Sharlene Singh
Apr 18, 2014
Gabbie Dewolfe
Jan 18, 2019
Hong Heng
rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2015
Ami
Mar 18, 2018
Devilcat
Aug 06, 2011
Eric Elfman is the author of fourteen books for kids and adults, including Tesla’s Attic, Edison’s Alley and Hawking’s Hallway (all co-written with Neal Shusterman), an award-winning Middle Grade series from Disney-Hyperion Books. Eric and Neal are now developing a TV series based on Tesla’s Attic Eric’s Almanac of the Gross, Disgusting & Totally Repulsive, from Random House (now in its 6th pr ...more