Start by marking “The Invaders (Brotherband Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Invaders (Brotherband Chronicles, #2)

The Invaders (Brotherband Chronicles #2)

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  15,621 Ratings  ·  531 Reviews
The adventure continues in the Ranger's Apprentice companion trilogy!

Hal and the Herons have done the impossible. This group of outsiders has beaten out the strongest, most skilled young warriors in all of Skandia to win the Brotherband competition. But their celebration comes to an abrupt end when the Skandians' most sacred artifact, the Andomal, is stolen--and the Herons
Published May 1st 2012 by Philomel Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Invaders, please sign up.
Lily That would be a spoiler! ;) You can just read the book to find out.

Jonathan Terrington

As a YA novel The Invaders is intelligent, entertaining and top of its class. As a novel to recommend for anyone looking for a purely entertaining read it's very worthwhile. John Flanagan, author of the brilliant Rangers Apprentice series (see The Ruins of Gorlan one which both I, my mother and my sister - the readers in our house - love) continues the adventures of his young Skandian sailors as they set out to retrieve an artefact lost on their watch and hence their honour.

John Flanagan writes
Melissa
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it
John Flanagan is a great author, but this book was SO weighed down with detail that I wanted to pull my hair out by the end. All of the nautical references and tidbits about how they turned the boat or changed the sails just annoyed me. Pages and pages of this stuff and I STILL didn't know what he was talking about! Perhaps it's just me. I've never been on any kind of sailboat and so I have nothing to reference it to. Thus, it becomes mumbo-jumbo to my brain.

I really loved the characters in the
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3.5

Picking up immediately from the end of the first book, with the Herons in search of the Andomal, the beginning of the story was actually a bit slow to get started. See, they end up getting caught heading out during a bad time of year, and have to hole up for awhile to avoid the storms and while there's some character development happening and improvements to the ship, not much happened that felt like it was moving the story forward.

This take a marked turn, though, when the crew of the Heron r
Winona
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book keeps you guessing in classic John Flanagan fashion. I can never say anything bad about these books because it is just so well written. I feel like i've been to Limmat, watched as the fire bolts were shot, seen the friendships develop, experienced life on the Heron and I'm very in love with Hals character. (Although Will will be foremost in my heart.)
Ettelwen
Návrat do tohoto světa byl opravdu příjemný. Začátek byl sice trochu pomalejší a Hraničářův učeň je Hraničářův učeň, ale i tak se jedná o první velké, skvělé dobrodružství posádky Volavky.
Hazel West
I'm not sure I liked this one better than the first book in the series, but it was still good. It was a little more slow-paced than I thought it would be, but it is actually kind of an in-between book with another cliff-hanger at the end. The slow parts in the beginning don't really take away from the story either, they just lend to strengthening the camaraderie between the Herons and it was fun to watch Thorn train them. I'm still not quite sure what I think about Lydia. I almost felt that she ...more
Christine
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yes, it really took us almost 6 months to get through this book. We just weren't listening in the car for a while. I still don't like these as much as Ranger's Apprentice, but the action is picking up.
Annemieke
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Acht onervaren jongens en een ouwe zeerot gaan met hun schip op piratenjacht. Het verhaal leest vlot en is best aardig, maar haalt het wat mij betreft echt niet bij De Grijze Jager-boeken. Vooral Trek mis ik heel erg... :-(
Elaine
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a solid sequel to "The Outcasts." The Herons are on their own now (with Thorn), and I loved seeing how they worked together as a team, anticipating Hal's commands and everyone willing to step in and do their part and cover whatever needs come around. Hal has some brilliant ideas to give them the upper hand in their battle.

The addition of Lydia was nice, she seems interesting enough (very much like Cassandra/Evanlyn-beautiful yet independent and courageous, and also skilled and resource
Asami Uchiha
Although 'The Invaders' had a slower pace than the first book, the character development which takes place throughout the book makes up for it. Again I enjoyed reading about the dynamics between the Herons, and their interactions with the newly introduced characters.

A great in-between book and I'm looking forward to the conclusion of their first big adventure in the next book.
Elijah Roma
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The 2nd book in the series and arguably the most enjoyable (to me). (spoiler) After fearing banishment from their homeland, the brotherband crew sets of to survive by themselves to return what was lost. Now that the introduction has ended, we face the real goals and plot of the rest of the series. The book does a fine job visualizing what's happening on the island, and makes you feel involved in the planning and staging. Multiple new characters and introduced and we get nice previews of the char ...more
Barb Middleton
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Book one ends with Hal and his crew of sailors fleeing in disgrace from the city they grew up in order to retrieve the Andromal, the sacred artifact of the Skandians, that was stolen by pirates when Hal's crew was supposedly guarding it (they fell asleep). Hal knows that they will be pursued and dragged back home to be punished for leaving the city. They flee under cover of a storm and find a sheltered inlet where Thorn, an adult Skandian warrior who came with on the crew, begins training them o ...more
Clare Cannon
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 8-14 years (boys)

Impressive. Flanagan has a talent for turning sequels into great stories in their own right, and The Invaders doesn't disappoint. In fact, the character development, friendships, battle strategies and action scenes are almost better than the first book in this series.

Though written in the third person, the story has the tone of an older person laughingly retelling the adventures of young friends, perhaps someone like Thorn, appreciating their bravery and daring, and not esteeming them less for
Emma T. Clement
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had a problem with the first book in this series, which was the lack of female characters in the story. Thankfully, Flanagan fixed that(ish) in this one! For the first 166 pages, there was not a single female character (not even a minor one). That was seriously lacking and disappointing. However, a badass female character (that is not a minor one), who challenges gender roles, is introduced in this novel! She is still the only female character who has a part in this story (I think the only oth ...more
Nicolas
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Invaders, written by John Flanagan, is the second in the Brotherband Chronicles, a series I would recommend to both casual readers and those who truly want a story to sink their teeth in. I highly recommend it to any who have read the Ranger's Apprentice series or the first in the Brotherband Chronicles. I loved this story, taking a take on fantasy without magic and with themes more akin to medieval times, this book is a nice refresher and great for a change in pace for all fantasy book love ...more
Rhonda
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS
I really enjoy John's books. They are hard to put down
till your finshed. I got the book in the mail yesterday
and stayed up till 2:00 am.
This is book 2 and starts just a few days after book 1 ended
The Herons Brotherband are racing to find the Zavac
the pirates that had stolen the Andomal and brought
thier disgrace.
They are also fleeing from Erak the Oberjarl of Skandia's
who had given them orders to turn all their weapons and
even the Heron's ship. But they sneaked away and
plan to get the a
Skip
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Hal and his rogue gang from the Heron brotherband, assisted by Thorn, set off on Hal's boat to recover the Skandian's treasured Andomal from the pirate Zavac, which was stolen due to Hal's mistake. Zavac and his crew on the Raven capture a ship and torture the captain to reveal that a port town (Limmat) has an emerald mine. Capturing the city by subterfuge, a few locals escape to the marsh, including the beautiful, resourceful Lydia, who is rescued by Hal and his crew. The oberjarl sends off a t ...more
Kristen
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This action-packed fantasy novel about a young group of shipmates who are out to recover a stolen artifact will probably sit well with young fans of Flanagan, since it has all the major ingredients still intact: a squeaky clean action/adventure fantasy story with no magic, just set in a different world. I found myself not enjoying it nearly as much as I did the first book in the series, though - maybe I wasn't in the mood for it, since I noticed a lot of writing that felt clunky, and a lot of te ...more
Heather
This loses one star for the violence, which isn't awful, but my 11-yr-old felt it needed to go down because of it. In fact, said 11-yr-old and I were fighting over this book the entire time. We even resorted to hiding it from each other. He took it to bed a couple of times to read under the blankets with a flashlight and I'd have to go in there and "confiscate" it...you know, because he's not supposed to stay up late....not because I wanted to read it.

Another great installment. This series is a
Carson Ellsaesser
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another yet amazing book in the already thrilling Brotherband Chronicles. For those of you who don't know it is like the brother series to Rangers Apprentice which is also very good and I would suggest it for anyone that likes action thrill and romance. To get back on topic the invaders was very good, new characters were added, and crazy folds in the plot happened. For me there was never a dull moment in this book and I didn't set it down until I was done.
Tom
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!! I personally love all of John Flanagan's books, and this did not disappoint me. If it weren't for other activities, I would have finished it one sitting (I still finished it in one day). I especially liked the action and suspense, as well as the personalities. All the characters had a mind of their own, and they all worked well together.
I would recommend it to anyone, especially if you like John Flanagan's books.
Christian
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
This is the tale of group of boys from a country called Skandia who are hunting a pirate to get back the treasure of their town, the Andomal. The pirates flee to a town called Limmat, and the with the help of the local townspeople, and their own countrymen, they try to rid the town of pirates.

I liked this book because it has adventure and action.
Luann
John Flanagan draws me in with his great characters. He keeps me hooked with great action and a need to find out what happens! He has a habit of leaving things unresolved for another book, but somehow I always forgive him for it. He makes the wait worthwhile. I am enjoying Brotherband Chronicles almost as much as Ranger's Apprentice. Highly recommended!
Jenna
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Emily Call
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Classic Flanagan. Great detail without being tedious. I actually like this series better then Rangers Apprentice but that might be due to my great love of Nordic history (you know Skandians are based on Vikings, admit it ;)
Liam
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a great thinking book. My mind wandered so much-- it was such a productive time. Unfortunately, that doesn't say much for the book itself.
Lee Ann
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Flanagan writes wonderful YA coming of age adventures.
Dylan Q.
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So good I read it is second time within 5 days!!
Thomas
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book followed on from the last book really well and was full of even more adventures than the last. Im looking for ward to the next one in the series.
Liann
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I was dubious about this book at first... But it's actually really good!
Mrs. Anderson's E...: The Invaders by John Flanagan 1 2 May 18, 2016 08:29PM
Technology 1 6 Jun 10, 2015 09:17PM
Brotherband Lovers 22 66 Sep 22, 2014 11:07PM
  • Hour of Need (The Laws of Magic, #6)
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • The Coming of the Whirlpool (Ship Kings, #1)
  • The Ring of Sky (Young Samurai, #8)
  • Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • The Paradise Trap
  • Dragon Games (The Books of Umber, #2)
  • The Legend of the King (The Squire's Tales, #10)
  • Zero Hour (H.I.V.E, #6)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • The Secret War (Jack Blank Adventure, #2)
  • Song of the Slums
  • The Starkin Crown
  • Choke (Pillage, #2)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It
More about John Flanagan

Brotherband Chronicles (7 books)
  • The Outcasts (Brotherband Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hunters (Brotherband Chronicles, #3)
  • Slaves of Socorro (Brotherband Chronicles, #4)
  • Scorpion Mountain (Brotherband Chronicles, #5)
  • The Ghostfaces (Brotherband Chronicles, #6)
  • The Caldera (Brotherband Chronicles, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Last Shot (Star Wars): A Han and Lando Novel
    $14.99 $4.99
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Anyone can make a mistake.... It's how they learn from it and recover from it that shows their true worth.” 58 likes
“Men... performed better when they understood why they were being asked to carry out a task.” 19 likes