Start by marking “Amazons!” as Want to Read:
Amazons!

Amazons!

Amazons have always been with us in legend and history--and it is the amazons of the imagination we meet in this unique anthology. Here are the writers whose novels have placed them among the leaders in fantasy who have written for this volume original and exciting adventures of women who dare to pick up the sword and go a'venturing.
Published by DAW (first published December 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Amazons!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazons!

Derek
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
An extremely strong collection with much to recommend in it. Salmonson had a laser-like focus on exactly what she wanted, but her attitude bled through at points. Her assertive views about the state of heroic fantasy at the time--testosterone-drenched pastiche--eventually sounded like a chip on her shoulder.

"Wolves of Nakesht" sketches a wide world and backstory without providing details. Why is Chimquar here? Who are her enemies and why do they team up against her? Who are her wards? These ques
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
This collection of 13 fantasy stories centered on female heroes was groundbreaking in 1979 when it was published. I loved it when I discovered it in my teens--pre-Buffy, there were few stories of adventure with strong female heroines. This held up well. Indeed, the only story I didn't enjoy at all was the one with the most celebrated names--a piece of juvenalia by Emily Bronte edited by Joanna Russ. Russ is even one of the names featured on the cover, but she only contributes a precis of the sto ...more
Charles
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A collection of stories about Amazons, mostly by female writers. Andre Norton and C. J. Cherryh are the biggest names here, but my favorite story was "Morrien's Bitch" by Janet Fox.
Pam Baddeley
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of stories published in 1979 and intended to challenge the assumptions about the role of women in high fantasy/sword and sorcery fiction of the time, although the definition of 'Amazon' seems quite flexible, ranging as it does from sorcerous women who sacrifice their powers for a man's love, even a man who seems completely disinterested to begin with, to then-contemporary women vigilantes dishing out retribution on men who commit crimes against women.

The book includes stories by wel
David Mazzocco
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who aren't picky about what makes an "amazon"
The title should have been Agency!

Titling it "Amazons!" created the fundamental challenge with this anthology: the word "amazon" means too many different things to different people. Your enjoyment of this book will depend largely on how flexible your concept of "an Amazon" is.

Is an Amazon a skilled fighting woman from a society contemporary with ancient Greece? If so, none of these stories match what you have in mind.

Is an amazon a member of a matriarchal, possibly all-female, society? If so, th
Jeffrey Doten
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rereads
I read this when first came out, but I wasn't as enamoured with it this time as I was in 1980. For my money Tanith Lee won, and CJ Cherryh came in second. Salmonson considers the tragic last tale "The woman who loved the moon to be the jewel in the crown." I don't have enough 'cares' to ponder why. To paraphrase Yoda, "so much anger, so much hate..."
Steven
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Along with some familiar names (C.J. Cherryh, Tanith Lee, Andre Norton, Joanna Russ) some less well-known ones in an anthology which still holds up some 34 years later. The stories range from modern day I'm-not-sure-how-to-classify-it (Michelle Belling's "The Rape Patrol") to African fantasy quest (Charles Saunders' "Agbewe's Sword") to an espionage-flavored subversion of quest (Josephine Saxton's "The Travails of Saint Jane"). There's humor of various flavors, gentleness, fury, and determinatio ...more
Laphalene
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another teenager favourite, this is a sampler of female hero fantasy, from authors as diverse as Bronte to currently big name writers. Not everything here is good, but as a product of the eighties, this, along with works like the Sword and Sorceress Anthologies, were groundbreaking efforts to get female protagonists properly respected in the genre. I'm probably giving it more stars than it deserves, as much of the stuff here has a touch of the experimental and some of the stories are by now bog ...more
David
This was a pretty good anthology; the stories ranged from great to mediocre, but it was one of the first of its kind. Today there are lots and lots of strong female heroines even in the S&S genre, but at the time this anthology came out, they were still pretty rare (Red Sonja aside).
Kathy
Aug 11, 2011 added it
This book introduced me some of my all time favorite authors!!
Grace
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Great characterizations (especially considering this book came out in 1979) but I thought the stories themselves were only so-so.
Lisa
Jeg følte at flere av novellene var mer som en parodi på fantasy-sjangeren, enn faktisk fantasy. Jeg vred meg i stolen hver gang beskrivelser som 'sort som en ravnevinge' og 'smidig som en katt' dukket opp, og ting glinset veldig ofte i sølvfarget måneskinn. Poengløse sverdkamper var det nok av, hester så klart, noe som lignet middelalder, og alt for mange karakterer. Den eneste grunnen til at den fikk en stjerne ekstra var de to novellene: 'Heksens sorger (et mørkt og humoristisk eventyr) og de ...more
Daniel
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Amazons! is a 40-year old anthology with many strong stories, but none are truly exceptional. It includes several authors who are widely known now (Tanith Lee, C.J. Cherryh, Andre Norton, Charles Saunders) and others who I hadn't heard of. Being exposed to the latter was a treat -- Megan Lindholm's story in particular stuck out, about a woman saving her man from an agonizing death by poison by tracking down and killing the thing that poisoned him. It was very well-done sword & sorcery.
Sam
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r-daw, read-anthology
Solid collection of shorts, similar in content and precedes MZB's Sword and Sorceress series, with some of the same writers. Of particular note, is Charles Saunders' origin story for his wonderful warrior Dossouye of Abomey.
Bryn Hammond
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: imagined-fiction
This was a good one. Five stories have three or above ticks from me, which indicates great enthusiasm. Even outside of those five, there is Charles R. Saunders, writer of African-themed fantasy, who here gives us the woman Dossouye; and a narrative poem by Emily Bronte, edited from her manuscripts by Joanna Russ.

Amazons 2 didn't match up the quality of selections here.
Jordan
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it
There were a couple completely bizarre stories in here and a couple of boring stories as well, but there were also some really great ones. Mostly the stories by authors I recognized were the good ones and the bad ones came from authors I've never heard of. Overall things kind of balanced out to about average. That's kind of the nature of anthologies though. One disappointing thing is that despite being touted as a contributor on the front cover, Joanna Russ' piece is actually just some commentar ...more
Wolverina
Bought for a quarter in a second hand store.

Worth a lot more, though the language has dated a little. Deffo good and interesting, though the first story (primarily a love story) is a little offputting.

The end additional reading looks pretty amazing too.
Amanda
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness, this is a blast from the past. I LOVED this book back in the day. When I was about 15. Such good stories, and I was super into short story collections. I must have gotten rid of the book in one of my drives to become a person with less stuff. I sort of wish I still had it!

Emily Crow
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-and-sf
As I recall, there was some really good stories in this one.
Chris Taylor
Jun 03, 2015
April
Dec 17, 2018
Danielle Young
rated it did not like it
Dec 23, 2016
rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Big Book of Adventure Stories
  • Swords Against Darkness (Swords Against Darkness, #1)
  • The Pendragon Chronicles: Heroic Fantasy from the Time of King Arthur
  • The Quest for Cush (Imaro #2)
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • Alchemy and Academe : A Collection of Original Stories Concerning Themselves with Transmutations, Mental and Elemental, Alchemical and Academic
  • Dragons of Light
  • The Fantasy Hall of Fame
  • The Further Adventures of The Joker
  • The Big Book of Swashbuckling Adventure: Classic Tales of Dashing Heroes, Dastardly Villains, and Daring Escapes
  • Death Angel's Shadow
  • Steamfunk!
  • Heroes in Hell (Heroes in Hell, #1)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy First Annual Collection
  • Flashing Swords! #1
  • Jirel of Joiry
  • Masterpieces of Fantasy and Wonder
  • Brak the Barbarian (Brak the Barbarian, #1)