Start by marking “Besieged (The Outcast Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Besieged (The Outcast Chronicles, #1)

Besieged

(The Outcast Chronicles #1)

For nearly 300 years the mystics have lived alongside the true-men, who barely tolerate them, until...

King Charald is cursed with a half-blood mystic son. Sorne is raised to be a weapon against the mystics. Desperate to win his father’s respect, Sorne steals power to trigger visions. Unaware King Charald plans their downfall, the mystics are consumed by rivalry. although p
Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Published June 26th 2012 by Solaris (first published 2012)

Start your review of Besieged (The Outcast Chronicles, #1)
Mieneke
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, fantasy
I recently read and reviewed The King's Bastard , the first book in Rowena Cory Daniells King Rolen's Kin trilogy, which I really enjoyed, so much so that I that I went and bought the second and third books in the series immediately after finishing it. Consequently, I was really happy Solaris was kind enough to send me a review copy of the first novel in her new The Outcast Chronicles, Besieged. Before I get on with reviewing Besieged, I have to put something right: in my review of The King's ...more
Emily
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Besieged by Rowena Cory Daniells
****4****

Full review now up

Wow, this was a big book and a lot happened. It's going to take me a few to organize my thoughts. For now, we'll say, it's a solid solid 4 star rating. The pacing was my biggest issue, but I've already purchased books 2 and 3. Full RTC.

Full Review below:

Ok guys, this book is a Tome, and my review is long. The world building is truly impressive and the story is complex. The pacing is weird and some of the characters are bland, but we’ll g
Braiden
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WHY DON’T I HAVE EXILE YET (while I wait for Sanctuary)????? *runs to Book Depository*

-----

Besieged was the first book of Rowena’s that I have read, and I feel guilty now for not having read any of the King Rolen’s Kin books (although I own the first) or The Last T’En – I really do; I enjoyed this first book in her new series The Outcast Chronicles so much that I hated myself for not having the sequel Exile yet. All I want to do now is finish this series then visit her decade-plus-old The Last T
Gavin Gates
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt one of the best openers to a trilogy release I have ever had the pleasure of reading. The backdrop is absolutely beautiful, Daniels has created a brilliantly described world that is very easy to get lost in, superb races in the Mieren referred to as True Men, T'en a race of silver haired six fingered and toed gift empowered humanoids, feared and hated by the hugely more populated Mieren and the Malajune a copper haired half blood subservient to the T'en , also hated by Meiren.
Th
Mervi
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
290 years ago the peace accords were signed between the True-men (whom the T’En call Mieren) and the powerful and long-lived T’Enatuath (whom the humans call the Wyrd). The two races have co-existed in an uneasy peace since then. Sometimes half-bloods (whom the T’En call the Malaunje and the humans call the Wyrd) are born to two True-men parents. According to the accords, the True-men have to give up the half-blood infants to the T’En.

Sorne is king Charald’s eagerly-awaited first born son and he
Terence
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Daniells’ Besieged is the first book in a trilogy about the fate of the T’En (known to humans as the Wyrd), a race of near-humans blessed (cursed) with “gifts.” For three centuries there’s been an uneasy truce between them and humans. The T’En and the half-human/half-T’En Malaunje are confined to an island city, isolated estates and ghettos in select cities; T’En and Malaunje babies born to human women (which happens even if both parents are human) are given over to the T’En. That custom (and t ...more
Fantasy Literature
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I have very mixed feelings about Besieged. Overall, I’d give it a positive ranking, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that the text does have issues. Quite a few issues, really. What does work is very good, and I can really give those elements a sterling review. But then there’s… the other hand.

Besieged is a big, sprawling political drama concerning a race called the T’en, the ordinary humans (here called True-Men or Mieren), and the “half-blood” population, apparently a result of interbreeding b
nat.
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I almost gave up on this ... there's so much happening, and at times I couldn't find anyone appealing to root for because some were just super mean or really stupid. the only one that stood out for me was Sorne, it was a love/hate relationship with him. I just wanted him to be happy.
Tsana Dolichva
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Besieged by Rowena Cory Daniells is the first book in the Outcast Chronicles, which is being published around now (Solaris likes to release trilogies over three months). It’s set in the same universe as her Last T’en trilogy (which is out of print and difficult to find) but in that world’s distant past. You definitely don’t need to have read The Last T’en first (I certainly haven’t, what with being unable to get a hold of it). A copy of Besieged was given to me by the author for review.

I absolut
S.B. Wright
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Besieged is the first book in The Outcast Chronicles by Rowena Cory Daniells.  The Chronicles see Daniells return to the world which she created in the T’En Trilogy.  The Chronicles are a prequel to that series and take place at a considerable distance from the evens featured in the earlier works.

It is not necessary then to have read the earlier trilogy, to understand or enjoy Besieged.

Where to start on Besieged?

There are good books that you can appreciate and enjoy, then there are books that

De Roedere
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I read the last T'En when it first came out and remember thinking that I'd found a new and decent read. The second and third in the trilogy didn't quite hit the spot - whatever that spot might have been is lost to time - and I guess that spot is why I've never taken too much interest in other books by this author.
But a friend gave me all three of The Outcast Chronicles for the holidays.
The cover seemed a little derivative of a series that's very successful at the moment, and I must admit that
Scott
Nov 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
It's been a long time since I've delved into epic fantasy and this book is a harsh reminder of why I stopped reading it.

The novel depicts a very depressing world which is divided between normal humans and the psychic T'en, and then further divided into brotherhoods and sisterhoods. No matter how you look at it, it's all hostility all of the time. Except for some of the young people, no one is actually friends with anyone else.

The portion I've read (nearly two hundred pages, encompassing a 14-yea
Christian
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, paper
I would have given 3.5 stars if i could. I had a real hard time keeping up with the seemingly unannounced time advances. sometimes weeks, months or years pass by between chapters or within the chapter itself. there are a few times when a date is used at the start of the chapter but not often enough.

The second issue is with the lack of character development. Granted if you speed up time to advance the story, its difficult to take the time and give us characters we can identify when we see their n
Deborah
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
When I first began reading I found the initial chapters to be rushed, giving too much information too quickly. I thought that could have been done a little more subtly than it had been. However, once I got passed this, the rest of the story began to flow and really turned into something quite spectacular.

There's great character development and, what a lot of books fail in, a brilliant societal structure that makes sense!!! I am thoroughly impressed with the thought and planning that Daniells mus
Caz
Jun 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Was given a free copy from the publisher, and although I love fantasy and read a lot of it, and am always up for reading new releases, this just didn't do it for me I'm afraid. There wasn't enough descriptive writing especially about the places visited - the places in which the story was set, I mean - and I thought the characters weren't fleshed out enough. It felt like Daniells was rushing to give us action, intrigue, new words and magics without explaining fully who and where the characters we ...more
Maddalena
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
The first time I heard about this book - and trilogy - was on Shari Mulluane's blog "Dragons, Heroes and Wizards"(http://dragonsheroesandwizards.blogsp...) where the series was reviewed in its entirety: as it often happens to me, I experienced a sort of mental click that told me it could be a great book, so I added it to my reading queue. Instincts proved once more to be right on target, because this is a great beginning for a very promising series.

Complete review here: http://spaceandsorcery.wo
Tani
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has that elusive trait that I'm always in search of: it makes me care about the characters. No, not just care. Become deeply involved in the aspects of the character's lives. Worry about them and root for them, laugh with them, and maybe even cry with them. That's always been the most important part of a book for me, and Besieged most certainly has it. I'm really looking forward to moving on to the next book in the series.
Amanda J Spedding
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Daniells’ world is extremely well constructed, the magic systems and culture, though unique to each race, they’re cleverly entwined and deftly delivered. There’s political and religious power-plays, revenge, betrayal, love and horror all finding their place here — a little something for everyone.

See full review here: http://amandajspedding.com/2015/06/06...
Alexa
Jul 10, 2013 marked it as to-read
That girl on the cover almost looks like the Khaleesi.
Christopher
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: default
I have some real issues with this book, but first let me start by saying that Daniells has a superb talent for controlling a story with vast political scheming. Most people that I have read have a hard time pulling this off, yet she was able to masterfully.

Overall, I felt that this story was lacking. I did not feel any kind of connection with any character until almost the end of the book. Right after I felt a connection for a character, I would find myself reverting back to no connection. I do
Shelley Nolan
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting read, with a very involved fantasy world that came filled with conflict and tension from page one. With the uneasy relationship between the so-called True-Men and the Wyrds on shaky ground, the birth of a half-blood son to the King of Chalcedonia sets in motion a chain of events that will catapult them into war. With both sides fighting for power within their own ranks for much of the book, the situation is ripe for disaster, a situation that only worsens over the years u ...more
Nic
Review originally published in SFX magazine, 2012. 3.5 stars.

Two years after the ‘King Rolen’s Kin’ series, Australian Daniells is back with another trilogy. It shares many strengths with the earlier series – well drawn characters, a ruthless streak to the plotting – though it lacks some of the tightly-focused adventure that made King’s Bastard and its sequels so much fun.

Besieged is an altogether different beast: more thoughtful, but also more sprawling and talky. It centres on a pair of over
Shane
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a good book, but I think it could use with trimming down and staying focused. Imoshen and Sorne are the protagonists, but so much of the book is from other points of view - and sure, those can give insight into the world or other aspects of the story, but I would have preferred to learn these things through their eyes, or not at all. I also think it was a weird decision to introduce yet another point of view toward the very end of the book.

And it's been a while, but I remember The Last T'E
J.M. Robison
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
I like the plot line, which is why I bought the 2nd book, but the back half of this book I felt started to deteriorate, in that the author chose quantity over quality. SO many characters introduced throughout the entire book I couldn't keep track of them, and then they'd promptly leave again. Love stories were forced and rushed and had me raising my eyebrows more than once. One element the author used which irritated me to the core were the frequent "conveniences" where the character needed some ...more
Shari  Mulluane
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
(Book gifted by author in exchange for honest review)

♦ The Story. Oh my. How do I describe this tale? There is so much of it it defies a simple explanation. But I'll give it a shot.

Lets start with the basic makeup of this world. At the core there are three main races. The mystics, the non gifted (humans with no mystical powers) and the half-bloods.

The mystics consist of sisterhoods and brotherhoods, both laboring under an uneasy truce. To make things even more interesting, the brotherhoods are n
Shayna
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The cover was what few drew me to this book while browsing in the book store. The woman reminded me of Daenarys from Game of Thrones. Then I read the back of the book and was interested enough to buy it. When i finally read it, it started out okay for me, interesting plot, developing characters, King with a "kill the people who are different" complex... I think I liked this book well enough but I was annoyed by what happened to Sorne when he could have had a nice life. I would probably read the ...more
Vigasia
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
2,5

I'm kind conflicted with this book. From the start the story seems interesting, but in later part the pacing was so strange I sometimes didn't know what's going on and where. Multiple changing PoV between characters not connected with each other just to show some unimportant scenes made me lose interest in some aspects of the plot, and in the end I just wanted this book to end.
Kp
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The biggest strength of this novel is its pace. Daniells doesn't waste time with anything inconsequential, unafraid to skip forward months, years, or decades to move the story forward. Great worldbuilding, interesting characters, her writing kept me on the edge of my seat through the entire book.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the next book will be as good.
Louis Groff
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Renée
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for the next one.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)
  • Mirror Image (Schooled in Magic #18)
  • Oathkeeper (Schooled in Magic, #20)
  • Fists of Justice (Schooled in Magic, #12)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Once a Myth (Goddess Isles, #1)
  • Empress of the Fall (Sunsurge Quartet, #1)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Bloodchild
  • The Reclamation (Shadowed Wings Book 3)
  • White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide
  • Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)
  • Dreamer's Pool (Blackthorn & Grim, #1)
  • Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Vol. 3
  • Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth
  • The Red Wolf Conspiracy (The Chathrand Voyage, #1)
  • Burn
  • The Iron Wolves (The Rage of Kings, #1)
I write the kind of books that keep you up all night.

I write the kind of books that got you reading fantasy way back when. I also write gritty crime-noir with a touch of paranormal under RC Daniells.

I am unashamedly a Genre Writer!

The Outcast Chronicles (3 books)
  • Exile (The Outcast Chronicles, #2)
  • Sanctuary (The Outcast Chronicles, #3)

News & Interviews