Start by marking “Waterboy (Gridiron Gods, #1)” as Want to Read:
Waterboy (Gridiron Gods, #1)

Waterboy (Twin Pines Grizzlies #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  508 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
[Siren Everlasting Classic ManLove: Erotic Alternative Paranormal Romance, M/M, shape-shifters, HEA]

The power of two…

Shy loner Danny Jones lives in a world of vivid dreams, mostly kinky sexual fantasies in which the football players he caters to indulge their lusts upon him in every conceivable way. Lately, though, the slump-shouldered waterboy’s dreams are being invaded b
Published October 3rd 2011 by Siren Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Waterboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waterboy

Serena Yates
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay
I was curious about this book from the moment I read the blurb. There is no hint about a link to shapeshifters, and yet, the publisher's category description says it is a paranormal with shifters. This one, I had to figure out. Much like the blurb, most of the story reads like any other contemporary. So, if you expect the paranormal element to play a major role, you might be disappointed.

When the paranormal 'stuff' did finally appear it was so out of the blue (I had forgotten all about it and wa
piranha
well, this is a first; a siren book that does not suck big yellow chunks through a small straw. not even the cover is as hideous as usual, though the text treatment reminds one that this is still siren.

i really enjoyed danny and the contrast between his meek exterior and his super-smutty day dreams. his romance with matthew is sweet; matthew being a genuinely good guy who brings danny out of his shell. the shifter concept here is something new too. i laughed out loud at what happened on the bus.
k reads
May 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: quiltbag, read-2013
Gay football players... who are also bear shifters - this I had to read. I was hoping this would be like one of those cheesy, bad movies that shows up in the wee hours of the morning, on a cable channel you've never heard of, but you thoroughly enjoy. So, props to the author for trying such a wacky idea even if it didn't really work. The characters were one dimensional & I expected more from a story about gay, bear-shifting, football players than what I got here. I wanted a story that matche ...more
Lexi Ander
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-shifters
I was pleasantly surprised with this.

The first part is contemporary and very sweet. I was a fan of Michael as soon as he met Danny. There were only a few paranormal clues in the beginning and they were left by the wayside as Michael and Danny build their relationship. Past that point then the paranormal activity picks back up-quickly. I like both aspects very much and though they could have been blended more, I enjoyed the surprise as well as the unique shifter twist. I really look forward to Q
Meggie
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: magic, fantasy
The created plot in this new series was strange one, and to be clear, all those daydreams from Danny side, were just off. As characters both Danny and Matthew weren't well developed. All we got was two young students who fell in love at first sight. And from this point of view it was boring.
Absynthe
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, shifters
Really should be 3 stars, but got an extra star for original shifter concept.
Dre
The dialogue was a little cheesy at times, I'm not a huge insta-love fan, but it's shifters (the shifter part is a little weird), but I loved it anyway.
Phaney
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, oh-yes
2012 Review:

Oh. Wow.

Okay, this was simultaneously very sweet and really, really weird. The whole college/football aspect of the story had a realistic (if idealized) feel to it, at least in the interactions between characters. Not in a gritty way. No gritty here. (Which later made the (view spoiler) even more shocking.) But just the way the guys talked to one another and their inner workings, such as Danny’s years of smutty fantasies about the l
Gennie Gee
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Waterboy" is the first book in Anitra Lynn McLeod’s Gridiron God’s series. To be honest, the initial pull of this book was its football theme and the fact that it is M/M. How much hotter can you get?!? The dedication of this book even states: “This one is for everyone who has ever watched football just to enjoy the tight pants.” This made me smile.

Teresa
3.5 Stars - I liked the uniqueness of how shifting works in this series. It is very different which is hard to find in this genre. I had all the markings of shifter fluff, but it was done well. I am looking forward to the other books in the series.
Amber
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-paranormal
Part of me kind of wanted to rate this two stars but overall it isn't that bad of a book. It is a standard type college story through out most of it. Shy unpopular boy finds out that he is hot thanks to a hot jock that likes him. Hot monkey or in this case bear sex ensues. For more than 75% of it that is the story. Then the paranormal stuff comes in the end of the book and this is where I feel let down but kind of intrigued at the same time. It is a different spin on the shifter trope but it jus ...more
Beck
This is marketed under the title Powerful Alpha at Amazon.

Re-reading this one wasn't a chore at all ... in fact, it became a solid ★★★ read this time around ... I found the whole story a nice smexy romp ... it's not brilliant, but given some of the books I've slogged through recently, it's a reasonably good read ... if you like power bottoms and über Alphas; hot smex with a dash of kink; and a good series premise, you'll probably enjoy this book and the series ... I'm definitely adding this seri
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
I loved both the main characters! Danny is the shy, waterboy for the football team of Twin Pines who tries to hide behind his longish hair, slouching and baggy clothes. Matthew is the new kid on the team, a big linebacker who’s HOT, outgoing and genuinely a nice guy. Matthew helps Danny come out of his shell (and come to terms with some abuse in his past) as they are holed up alone in the dorms during a couple of snow storms.

This book ends with many more questions than answers, but it has an HEA
Becky Condit
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I admit, I wasn’t sure about this book. I love shifters, but sports aren’t my favorite thing. This story had a LOT of things going for it, though. A hot football player has feelings for the waterboy. He doesn’t understand them, but he knows there more to the young man than it seems.

This book surprised me on many levels. The story is strong, the characters are engaging, and the set-up is definitely unique.

When a tragedy occurs, everything begins to fall into place. Secrets are revealed and
Jane (PS)
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm

I enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting. I really liked the relatively slow dominance/submission within the relationship. So OK, the relationship was insta-lust/love (really instant - like on day 1), but it was clear that the 'alpha' was giving his mate plenty of time to mature (being a virgin etc) before they took the next step. This was much more than I expected, and I appreciated that aspect.

The shifting was pretty left of centre, and some the characters were a bit underdevelo
Kerry  sullivan
This book was reviewed for  musings of a bookworm

This book was a real suprise, I read this just because it sounded good and boy was it. Not only was it sexy but it was also a really good start to a series. I loved the idea that it took two people to make a whole shifter, one alpha and one omega, each pair just waiting for that connection to snap into place. I am so looking forward to reading more of these stories and learning about this world the author has painted and most importantly the hot m
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
The PNR element didn't come in until the end.
Very interesting take on shifters. I like when there is a twist to the standard shifter rules.
I'm not so sure how well I like this particular twist, because there haven't been enough details....but I'm interested in finding out.

I had low expectations going into this story, and turned out to be better than I thought it would be. With the twist on shifters, I wouldn't mind learning more about how that plays out.
Randy Wiggins
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting start to a series. I do believe there could have been a little more detail to the paranormal facets of the story though. The sex scenes were good, charachterization was good, editing was better than a lot of Siren releases I've seen. I will be looking forward to reading book 2.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Start of Bear Clan This is a case of me being in the mood for some 'brain bleach' after a few heavy reads. This is nowhere the quality of McLeod's SOLD! series but it was fun and if the sequels are not too expensive I'll read them. This is the beginning of a clan of bears.
Ridiculous Cover!
Joie
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
okay I liked this a lot. It's one of those books that's so bad it's good. Danny was so loveable and the heat factor was blazing. Now the drawbacks. For a pnr the paranormal was just sad. I get the whole shapeshifter mated pair thing. That could turn into a interesting concept but the author just left to many unanswered questions. It's still worth reading though.
Rachel Emily
Very unique start to a series that I think has great potential and one that I might really love! The paranormal aspect came into the story pretty late, but I thought the idea was different and interesting. I really liked the characters, especially Danny, and I'm looking forward to the next stories in this series!
Jess Candela
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2012
3.5
I had a little trouble at the beginning, trying to figure out what the paranormal element(s) might be and how it fit into the story. But eventually I just got into the story and enjoyed it.
Omega696
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, sport
Nothing very spectacular, but both main characters were likeable :)
Amy
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-them
This was a really cute story and a great beginning for the series, I enjoyed the 2nd half a lot since thats when the paranormal stuff began. looking forward to reading more in this series.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Kevin
Genre: M/M Paranormal
Rated: 3.5 Hearts

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Isha
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, looking forward to the next one.
Clover
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
started a bit slowly but half the book, I was hooked !!!
Lilladii
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
3.25 rating
Alex Hahn
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
In the beginning I thought the book was only a plot about a waterboy but towards the end the book made you want more and leaves you hanging, but it was good.
Stephanie
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on bear shifters. I liked the characters and plot building. Looking forward to the next book.
  • Collared with Ink (Marked, #1)
  • Falling in Love Again (Of Dragons and Wolves #6)
  • Firestorm (Fatefully Yours #3)
  • Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? (Wolf Creek Pack #6)
  • Smashed into Pieces (Clear Water Creek Chronicles #2)
  • Jessup (Wylde Boys #1)
  • Victor (Marius Brothers #4)
  • The Vampire's Special Lover (Wolves of Stone Ridge #16)
Reading, writing, and white-water rafting are the three things I enjoy the most. I am currently working on the next novels for my Onic Empire series and my Fringe series. Please visit me at www.AnitraMcLeod.com or fan me at:
More about Anitra Lynn McLeod...

Twin Pines Grizzlies (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Driven Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #2)
  • Kinky Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #3)
  • Devoted Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #4)
  • Wicked Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #5)
  • Passionate Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #6)
  • Aggressive Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #7)
  • Strong Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #8)
  • Dedicated Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #9)
  • Dangerous Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #10)
  • Daring Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #11)