Start by marking “Style, Sex, & Substance: 10 Catholic Women Consider the Things That Really Matter” as Want to Read:

Who is to say who the authentic Catholic woman is? And how do the perils and pitfalls of modern society impact that vision?

Here is a fresh look at life from the perspective of ten Catholic women who live in the spotlight of the Internet -- ten bloggers who keep it real every day with their personal posts relating their triumphs, trials, and temptations for all to see.

In th
Published March 6th 2012 by Our Sunday Visitor (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Style, Sex, & Substance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Style, Sex, & Substance

Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2012-list
My interest in Hallie Lord‘s new book, Style, Sex, and Substance: 10 Catholic Women Consider the Things that Really Matter, was pretty high BEFORE the trailer was banned from YouTube.

For one thing, I’m a fan of each of the contributors.

For another, what’s not to love about a book that covers style, sex, and things of substance from a Catholic woman’s perspective?

I had heard that it was a quick read, and I did, in fact, zip through it like my eyes were on fire.

But here’s the thing: it was not jus
Theresa Thomas
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Style, Sex and Substance. The title of the book caught my eye. Hey, I like all three of those things, I thought, and then, I am a Catholic woman. Should a Catholic woman even think that?

Um. Yes.

Yes, I think she should. And if you don’t believe me, look at the subtitle: 10 Catholic Women Consider the Things that Really Matter. These things matter. Whew. These things really matter.

The hook for me in the title was style. ‘Style’ is class. One definition is “an elegant and fashionable way of living”
Donna
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book felt like sitting down with a good friend or big sister and enjoying a cup of coffee and good conversation. For many readers, some of the writers will be familiar as they share their wit and wisdom through their blogs.

The writing is intelligent but never condescending. It is encouraging but never demeaning. Topics that are covered are near and dear to the authors' hearts and are expressed with seemingly genuine concern for the reader.

Each chapter ends with a number of thought
Deanna
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great essays, relevant and real.
Amy C.
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I came away from this book thinking about how hard it is to create a book like this. Multi-author books are almost bound to leave the reader less-than-satisfied, because it's hard to connect with so many different personalities in such a short space of time. That said, I think the editor gathered an interesting group of contributors. The book gave me the feeling I often have after a Ladies' Night Out with other Catholic moms: I felt refreshed and grateful for the time I'd spent here, though I di ...more
Heather
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This collection of essays on Catholic womanhood made me laugh, think, and nod along. It's not chick-litty, which is high praise from me. Jennifer F's chapter on motherhood was genuinely funny and I could see myself in her shoes.
Danielle Bean's was surprisingly timely too, on marriage and finding the grace to keep moving forward.
I really enjoyed Barbara Nicolosi's on modern media. It was a much more realistic appraisal than Teresa Tomeo's NOISE, which I remember more as a screed with lots of ane
Joyce
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a great book. It was quick to read since it is an anthology of ten chapters, each one focusing on an aspect of how (practically) to be a faithful Catholic woman in the 21st century.

There was so much food for thought and most of the chapters were sprinkled with humour that made the read so enjoyable.

I will be reading this one again to take notes, because it was that good and useful!

"Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire." -St. Catherine of Siena
Julie Ann Cook
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This collection of insightful essays was definitely worth the read. Each was relatable to me as a Catholic woman and acted as a springboard for reflection. Though some had some deep-reaching subject matter, all were written with levity that made them accessible... and something I was eager to share with several Catholic and Christian girlfriends. I highly recommend this book!
Betsy Dion
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book has some great essays that will be helpful for any Catholic woman. The first one moved me to tears. If you read much of the female Catholic blogosphere you may already be familiar with some of these women. It is great to see how they live out their faith with authenticity and passion. Don't be put off by the title, the book has more depth than I thought the title implied.
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Entertaining as well as thought provoking, this is an excellent starting place for Catholic women to get some guidance and support from their literary 'girlfriends'.
I was especially fond of the marriage and motherhood chapters, the latter of which made me a bit misty in its beautifully written truth.
Definitely worth reading.
Davidnsharon Lunt
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So many different women; so many different stories! But in all of them is the echo of my own life and experiences. I am sure that is why I couldn't put this book down and why I go back and re-read it often.
Jen
Very good insights, and filled with humor. Not a book of sentimental stories - this is about real moms and single women dealing with the career world and today's society. My favorite tip(which may say something about me): Pray Like a Pirate - A-R-R-R ! (Acknowledge, Receive, Relate, Respond)
Lauren
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A bunch of funny, talented, and authentic Catholic women talking about life. A quick, enjoyable, and thought-provoking read! I did find it a tad unrelatable, since 9/10 of the writers are married with kids and I am a single, working young adult. But still good advice.
Clár Éadaoin
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Some of my favourite bloggers in book form talking about all things Catholic - woman style!
Lara
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, challenging and witty read. Highly recommended!
Megan
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Short little essays perfect for reading while the kids are busy at practice/lessons.
Monica
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great short stories for daily reading! Put a fun, realistic spin on the life of a Christian woman. Made me feel like I'm not so crazy for some of the things I think!
Colleen Rein
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: catholic
This was a good read, but it is more like a collection of blog entries than a book.
Lesley
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
I don't buy books very often, so when I do - it means something big. I bought this book and plan to keep it and re-read it often. :-)
Catherine
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: catholic-life
A fun, inspiring read by great Catholic bloggers--the essays by Danielle Bean and Simcha Fisher were my favorite.
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good read for Catholic/Christian mothers amidst the craziness of motherhood!
Elizabeth
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I devoured every well written essay and will be passing this around to my catholic friends.
Lisa
Sep 04, 2012 added it
Very good. Women's book study. Funny, relate-able and offers guidance.
Veronica
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So much here in this book. These women feel like my new old friends and I’m grateful for their insight into my life. The challenge posed by “my friend” in the last chapter is particularly good/hard for me.
Angela
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I am reading these short essays written by Catholic women on real life issues. Great practical advice for spiritual Christian women, not necessarily for Catholics only, although some references may not be understood by other denominations.

A little MORE religious than I had anticipated.

Seriously...how many of us have spiritual directors? Only my sister who is a consecrated virgin has a spiritual director. The rest of us are lucky if we make it to Mass on time.

Overall, if you're looking for direc
Kathleen
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
This isn't a terrible book, and it has pockets of inspiration. It does, however, read like a group of extended blog entries. And that makes sense, considering the authors are a group of Catholic bloggers. My favorite chapter is the one on female friendships, which manages to be more substantive than most of the others while still maintaining a breezy style. It is frustrating, as any one of these essays might be the type of things that would end up sent around the Internet. There's something abou ...more
Virginia Bonnett
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic, non-fiction
I am so thankful I bought this book. Ten authors wrote ten chapters about being a Catholic woman. Topics included marriage, a sense of self, children, work, being single, embracing art and technology, and more. I really loved the chapters by Jennifer Fulwiler, Hallie Lord, Simcha Fisher, and Barbara Nicolisi. A fabulous read for a boost of faith.
Elizabeth
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fresh perspectives and challenging questions at the end of each chapter really make it worth the read. The chapters by Jennifer Fulwiler, Danielle Bean and Simcha Fisher especially are standouts, in my opinion.
Karen
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not what you think, but it will make you think. Definitely a book to read with a group. Take a chapter or two and see what you are called to do with it. Inspiring, encouraging, convicting. It's all good.
Anne
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Easy read full of unique voices. Would be great to read and discuss with a group of friends.

• Bible Basics for Catholics: A New Picture of Salvation History
  • The Catholic Girl's Survival Guide for the Single Years: The Nuts and Bolts of Staying Sane and Happy While Waiting for Mr. Right
  • The Sinner's Guide to Natural Family Planning
  • Heaven's Song
  • My Sisters the Saints: A Spiritual Memoir
  • Men, Women and the Mystery of Love: Practical Insights from John Paul II's Love and Responsibility
  • Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus
  • Deep Conversion / Deep Prayer
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • Walking with God: A Journey Through the Bible
  • If You Really Loved Me: 101 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity
  • Love and Salt: A Spiritual Friendship Shared in Letters
  • How to Defend the Faith Without Raising Your Voice: Civil Responses to Catholic Hot-Button Issues
  • Angel in the Waters
  • In the School of the Holy Spirit
  • Breaking Through: Catholic Women Speak for Themselves
  • The Gift of Peace
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
Hallie Lord is an author, popular speaker, host of Hallie Weekly on SiriusXM, and the co-founder of the Edel Gathering. She lives in South Carolina with her husband, Dan, and their seven enchanting children. You can connect with her at HallieLord.com.