Start by marking “The Thrill of the Chase: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Thrill of the Chase: A Memoir

The Thrill of the Chase: A Memoir

This book is the remarkable true story of Forrest Fenn's life and of a hidden treasure, secreted somewhere in the mountains north of Santa Fe. The book contains clues to the treasure's location as Forrest Fenn invites readers to join in "The Thrill of the Chase".
Published January 1st 2010 by One Horse Land & Cattle Ltd Co

To ask other readers questions about The Thrill of the Chase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thrill of the Chase

Start your review of The Thrill of the Chase: A Memoir
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
A fun and quick little read. I enjoyed looking at his pictures and absorbing some of his sentiments about life. FYI I'm totally going to find his treasure.... ;)
Katey
Feb 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
I had hoped this book would tell about how the treasure was accumulated and why it was hidden, but that only takes up one small chapter of the book. The argument can be made that the rest of the story helped with that telling but not enough for my liking.

This just seems like a pretty normal ordinary guy who wrote his autobiography and has set someone up for future wealth if they're lucky enough to crack his code.
Ricky
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about his life. He has a great way of writing in the simplist form. That and the book is filled with clues on where he hid the 2 million dollar treasure chest.
Bracken
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I would actually give it 2.5 stars. I really like what Fenn is doing with the treasure hunt, but his writing is mediocre at best. I love the concept of getting people doing what makes you who you are and sharing the "treasures" of your life with others, which is what I think the point of the book is.

Do I think that there really is a treasure? I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I lean toward it being the case.

Will I go hunting for it? Maybe a little, more for the fun of getting out and enjoying
Nancy Zorn
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I probably would never have read this book if it hadn't been for the enticing buried treasure. I had a friend who was acquainted with Forrest Fenn and didn't hold him in high regard. I never learned why except that it had something to do with Fenn's collecting of antiquities and his lack of regard for sites held sacred by Native American Indians. All that aside, the book is very plainly and simply written. I enjoyed the stories. Living in Hawaii, however, I'm just not motivated to spend time and ...more
Jamie Lynn Lano
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I bought this book, like many others, because I wanted to see the extra clues that are supposed to be sprinkled in the text. I saw a few things that might be relevant, but overall, I came away with the impression that you don't need to buy the book to solve the riddle and find the treasure.

That said, it is a very large and heavy hardback book with glossy, sepia-toned pages. It is easy reading, as the book isn't very long and is written in a casual, colloquial style. Regardless of whether I ever
El Bothi
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Darren Hosch
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Not a bad book. Not really an ace. Now begins the thrill of the chase.
Wild West  Jo
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because I was interested in Forrest Fenn's hidden treasure. He has a unique writing style, with an old timer's humor and wit, not to mention he's a marketing genius.
Sue
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Short (often funny) vignettes of the life of Forrest Fenn. Raised in Texas, a bit of a Dennis the Menace as a young boy. Proclaims/admits he’s not one of the smart kids in school where his Dad is the principal. Graduates and enlists in the USAF, shot down twice in Viet Nam, he retires after 20 years with many medals of honor. Marries, moves to Sante Fe New Mexico and begins his art gallery business, a business he knows nothing about but is hugely successful. At age 58 he is diagnosed with cancer ...more
Elaine Moore
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: treasure-hunters
Forrest Fenn is a self-made retired pilot and antiques dealer. Diagnosed with kidney cancer, he decides to secret away his favorite treasures valued at 3-5 million dollars in a location that he'd long chosen as the perfect place to lie down and die. With his cancer successfully treated, he keeps his treasure box in his vault and later hides it in the Rocky Mountains.
This is a memoir that explains his decisions in life that led him to this decision and he offers some clues but most of all a
Samuel
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I became so engrossed in this book that I read it all in one day, and you'll most likely have trouble putting it down as well. I believe those that read this book without prior knowledge of Fenn's treasure will read it much differently than those looking for clues as to where the treasure could be hidden. Treasure hunts aside, Fenn is an entertaining author who rights very "matter of fact".
David Barnett
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Forrest is an interesting character, and the memoir introducing his famous treasure hunt is equally interesting. While he isn't a fantastic writer, he has a way of speaking to the reader like an old friend instead of a tired, old scholar which can be refreshing.
Ravi Mikkelsen
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun and easily digestible memoir of an eclectic and interesting man. Veteran, treasure hunter, art dealer, father, teacher, poet.

The chase is thrilling and I plan to take it up spending much more time outdoors in the coming years.
Heather
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This was average. My husband asked me to read it because he's interested in the wild goose chase.

The beginning and end are ok, but the part about the Vietnam war was quite intriguing and fast-paced.

Do you want to seek hidden treasure? Then this is a must-have book! Look for all the clues!
Dan Nimak
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Buy it to search for clues to a treasure. Read it, however, to enjoy the stories told by Mr. Fenn, which are both fascinating and motivational. He writes in such a warm, simple, and compelling way…that’s the true treasure of this book.
Noel Gordon
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I give very few books five stars. I gave The Odyssey five stars, I gave Hearts of Darkness five stars. This is neither, it is not even close. So why the stars?

This book and the author has occupied my mind daily for years.

It is not the treasure alone that captivates me, nor the writing style, nor the entertainment value. It is the immense complexity of seeing outside the box when reading a relativity simple story. It is the depth of thought required to find the aberrations within and separate
Lauren
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a character this guy is. An interesting life and an intriguing legacy to leave behind. People are still hunting for his treasure!
David Baker
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Kevin
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
enriching
Fred Donaldson
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Mr. Fenn is an interesting character. He has hidden a treasure said to be worth more than a million dollars somewhere in the mountains north of Santa Fe, NM. Hoping I find it.
Kai Smith
Jul 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I hope you got this for the map.
Holly
May 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Forrest Fenn, if his memoir is any indication, is the kind of person that you cannot not enjoy if you meet him. He has an easy-spoken candor that has clearly served him well from his adventurous boyhood to his time served in the military to his life as a father and businessman. I would absolutely love to sit down with him at his gallery or around a campfire and just listen to him talk about his life.

The stories in this book are largely great stories, but they are told poorly and without the aid
Cash
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Forrest Fenn is a natural storyteller. This sparse memoir is a loose collection of snapshots from throughout the author's life told in a relaxed conversational style. At times, the prose style is so relaxed and conversational that the inattentive reader will experience apparent skips in the narrative. Backtracking a sentence or two will often clear up any misunderstanding. Still, this book is an entertaining read that offers a glimpse into the life and philosophy of a self made veteran, ...more
Tbob3att.Net
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
not a book club book
Janet
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting story. Second 'treasure' story I have read this week. But this one is real. Sure would be fun to find it.
Heather

• The Banker's Secret
  • Lord Byron: The Major Works
  • Ship of Fire
  • Put Your Life on a Diet: Lessons Learned from Living in 140 Square Feet
  • Stinky Winky Silly Willy Off-key Donkey: A Fun Rhyming Animal Bedtime Book For Kids (Really Silly Wonky Songy Children's Books 1)
  • Reading in the Wild
  • E is for Eyeball: An Alphabet Book for Grown-Ups! (The Alphabet Books 5)
  • C is for Cookie: An Alphabet Book for Grown-Ups! (The Alphabet Books 3)
  • D is for Dwarf: An Alphabet Book for Grown-Ups! (The Alphabet Books 4)
  • B is for Bear
  • Steven Tyler: The Biography
  • Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1)
  • The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror (Pine Cove, #3)
  • The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove (Pine Cove, #2)