Start by marking “The Measure of a Man: 20 Attributes of a Godly Man” as Want to Read:
The Measure of a Man: 20 Attributes of a Godly Man

The Measure of a Man: 20 Attributes of a Godly Man

An in-depth study of 20 characteristics that mark a mature Christian man according to Titus and 1 and 2 Timothy. Revised edition.
Published February 1st 1997 by Regal Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Measure of a Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Measure of a Man

Joy
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread of a book I read many years ago (originally published in 1974). It was a good review of godly traits of men as well as women. I liked the easy organization and balance of Biblical truth and practical examples. Some wisdom: "Bubbly people don't wear well in the long haul." "'Able to teach' is surrounded by words that describe not skills but qulities of life." "Being a generous tipper is also a wonderful opportunity to be a witness for Jesus Christ."
I'm always amazed at the diffe
Jacquline
David
Jul 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great for personal or group men's Bible Studies
Jimmy
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have seen this title a few times in different setting and I thought I give this a read. Since I did not know what to expect I must say half way through the book I discovered I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it.
The book has an introduction followed by twenty chapters. Each chapter covered different attributes that is characteristic of a man of God. It follows roughly the characters given in 1 Timothy 3 in the Bible although the titles did not necessarily match the term in 1 Timothy 3.
N
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book has some really solid meat, especially the psycho-analysis reasons for certain behavioural patterns and how to deal with them biblically. The questions and exercises at the end are very practical and useful. The part on fatherhood was practical. The illustration of the law of gravity being taken over by the law of aerodynamics to show how the law of sin and death is overridden by the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus is particularly powerful.
Sadly, the book has been written in a
James Swanson
A good summary of the qualities any mature man should be continually developing and refining in their life, especially if they are a Christian.

It's designed to be read in a group setting in order to get the full benefit from each chapter. I simply read the book at this time but hope to find some other men who would be interested in growing in their Christian maturity in the future.

The author also provided some links to a video clip for each of the chapters, however I think the links are old as t
Ben Taylor
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book does a great job outlining biblical principles for men to live by. In a world like the one we live in it is often difficult for men to have a sense of direction in coming to manhood (especially with so many absent fathers). Getz does a great job outlining what REALLY makes a man a man.
Bottom line? Read this book for inspiration and direction on your walk to becoming a better Christian and a better man.
Mark Haines
Some good points but a lot of ethical blind spots and demonstrations of selectively applying the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament authors to self justify a less than ideal way of living. This book may appeal to people new in their faith or not very familiar with the Bible, but to those Christians with a deeper faith and a more intimate relationship with the Bible, you will notice many ethical fallacies.
M. N.
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book discussing characteristics of a man. However, there are some differences I have with the author that I did not fully agree with. I feel the author comes from a conservative christian background, which I am not debating here. I disagree with some of his statements regarding social issues. Overall, quick read and makes good points.
Prabhu Dhanaraj
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent practical insights drawing from personal experiences of the author based on the book of Timothy and Titus - the character traits that truly matter.
Rob
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book, but I felt it sometimes missed its points, especially in the examples the author would choose. I feel like, in the interest of trying to not offend a reader, the author would select broad and extreme examples that allowed me (the reader) to say, "oh, I don't struggle with THAT". For example, when talking about lust, an appropriate example would have been to talk about visual, day-to-day lust that all men deal with. This would have made a good jumping off point for conversat ...more
Gerald
Not a terrible book, but not my favorite either. The book is based on the qualifications for elders listed in 1 Timothy and Titus. Each chapter is based on one of the qualities for an elder, from which the author extrapolates standards of living for the Christian man. There are probably better books on biblical manhood out there that are more exposition-based; I just haven't read one yet. But nothing in here seems to be inherently wrong, just not a lot of meat to it (which is where exposition of ...more
Franklin Wood
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Read this for a men's study group and was pleasantly surprised. I had the old version of the book and soon discovered the richness of the updated version.
A study on the traits of elders in the church, this book easily applies to all men who wish to follow Jesus.
Only reason I didn't give five stars is that a few chapters were not very clear on their theme, but other than that great book. I can see myself pulling it off the shelf again in a few years!
Andrew
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Besides a few minor disagreements, this book was a helpful overview of the characteristics qualifying a man to be an elder/overseer or deacon. Besides the requirement "able to teach" the rest of the qualifications are commanded of all Christians elsewhere in the New Testament. This is a good book for the (young) men in a church to go through.
Mason Kirksey
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This way a great devotional that I did daily for the first few weeks of the new year. The application of the attributes is definitely what makes it worthwhile, but Getz's exposition on attributes such as self-discipline and purity were put in a way that helped me understand their importance in the broader context of Christian life.
Amber Mccord
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Biblically Based Book

The whole book was great. It helped push me into the word of God more. This book caused me to do a deep deep deep self-examination. I can't really say anything bad about this book. I would recommend this book to anybody who is trying to grow in their walk with Christ.
Jason
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, small-group
Excellent book with plenty of food for thought on becoming a more Godly man. I read through this over several weeks in a mens small group and it provided wonderful discussion. It covers a large variety of topics that affect most men, at least one chapter (and probably several chapters) is sure to be a challenging wake-up call for everyone.
Andrew
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I was hoping to get more out of this book. There was a chapter on each of the character qualities of elders and deacons from 1 Timothy. What it had on these topics was good. I was hoping for another approach to what makes a man. I was thinking about how movies like Superbad glorify weak, timid, and indecisive men. Getz's book didn't address these issues.
Eric Fults
Mar 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I am leaving this review is because I really don't want men that I disciple and care about to use their free time reading it when they could read much better books. In my opinion, most of the things he said were not centered around the gospel but around cultural Christianity. Not a good book. Read Kent Hughes' Disciplines of a Godly Man instead.
Darren Zahn
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good personal book, the compact chapters are convenient for busy schedules. However, this is a GREAT book to read through with a group of friends, it sparks some really great questions and interest in becomming a man of God.
O. Stephen Peart
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every man got to read this book. Get a couple brothers together to hold you accountable and to encourage along the way. Set the goals at the end of each chapter. Gene takes the reader through practical stories a scriptural example. This is a daily guide for a man.
Tim Plona
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
A fairly good book. Once you are through the foreword, introduction and chapter 1, you can take each chapter in any order. Very readable, yet a bit overinflated with anecdotes and stories. The concepts can be grasped in the first few pages and conclusion of each chapter.
David
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A classic to help any man see what character traits God expects from him.
Eric Chappell
Jun 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reading
There were probably 3 interesting things said in this entire book.
Skip Tyler
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a little dated, but still a very good resource.
Brad Walker
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book. Convicting, practical yet as if my own Dad wrote the book for me to learn from.
It will be read again.
Andy Mitchell
Valuable content, repetitive structure.
Larry
A terrific book about becoming a mature spiritural man. When you know God has blessed you with these twenty attributes, you are a humble servant of the Lord.
Clint
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Were working through this as part of our Friday morning mens group. Great lessons in how to practice God's word.
Jeff
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for discipling men to the glory of God!
  • Don't Waste Your Life Study Guide
  • Man Alive: Transforming Your Seven Primal Needs into a Powerful Spiritual Life
  • They Smell Like Sheep
  • Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Church
  • A Ready Defense: The Best of Josh McDowell
  • The Invisible Hand: Do All Things Really Work for Good
  • No More Excuses: Be the Man God Made You to Be
  • Revolution of Character: Discovering Christ's Pattern for Spiritual Transformation
  • Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life Study Guide (Life and Ministry of Jesus Christ)
  • Every Man, God's Man
  • Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family
  • The Secret of Happiness
  • Becoming God's True Woman
  • Peacemaking for Families
  • The Root of the Righteous
  • The Challenge of the Disciplined Life: Christian Reflections on Money, Sex, and Power
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • Disciplines of a Godly Man
Gene A. Getz, (B.A., Rocky Mountain College; M.A., Wheaton College; Ph.D., New York University), a host and teacher of Renewal Radio, served as a professor at Moody Bible Institute and Dallas Theological Seminary. He has authored more than 60 books, including The Measure of a Healthy Church, Elders and Leaders, and the Men of Character series. He has been a church planting pastor in the Dallas met ...more
“Note that Joseph lived a holy life in all three dimensions: • Before the Law was given at Mount Sinai • Before Jesus Christ came to Earth to model holiness • Before the Holy Spirit came to indwell and assist mankind in living a holy life • Before the Word of God was revealed in its entirety How much more should we as Christians be able to live a holy life today? We have all of these resources at our disposal.” 0 likes
“We Are All on a Spiritual Journey It’s encouraging to know that the men Jesus chose to change the world had human weaknesses. All of them had serious character flaws, including the apostle Paul. But God changed all that—not overnight, but over a process of time. They learned to love one another as Christ had loved them (John 13:34–35).” 0 likes