Start by marking “Garden Party: Katherine Mansfield's New Zealand Stories” as Want to Read:
Garden Party: Katherine Mansfield's New Zealand Stories

Garden Party: Katherine Mansfield's New Zealand Stories

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  584 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
This work has been selected by scholars as being culturally important, and is part of the knowledge base of civilization as we know it. This work was reproduced from the original artifact, and remains as true to the original work as possible. Therefore, you will see the original copyright references, library stamps (as most of these works have been housed in our most impor ...more
Published October 1st 1988 by New Amsterdam Books (first published January 1st 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Garden Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garden Party

Erin
Narrated by Mandy Glasson" 36 minutes

Young Laura and her family are throwing a garden party, but when a man dies in her community, she is alone in wanting it cancelled. What unfolds is a protagonist becoming more aware of the world around her and the class divisions that exist.
Oziel Bispo
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
imagine você estar preparando uma festa no jardim da sua casa para vários convidados distintos e de repente seu vizinho morre....Como agir, desapontar os convidados ou respeitar a família do morto?...Para muitos não há nenhuma dúvida quanto a opção dada mas para muitos (como a família de Laura , personagem deste conto, o que importa é manter a pompa...) Laura é do tipo de pessoa ,sensível, que sofre nesse mundo animal.! Que os animais possam me perdoar pela comparação!
hossein sharifi
GARDEN PARTY
By Katherine Mansfield

Summary
In "The Garden Party," Laura's mother throws a party. Hearing that their neighbor has died, Laura thinks the party should be cancelled so that the grieving family won't hear the music. At the end of the story, Laura brings the dead man's family leftovers.
• Laura watches hired men erect the tent for her mother's party. She's shy around them, but delights in the beautiful arrangements her mother has made.
• Upon hearing that their neighbor has died, Laura in
Ella
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story with a lot of depth and profundity.
Andrei Cioată
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dacă ar fi Katherine Mansfield încă în viață, dacă ar fi scris Katherine Mansfield în continuare: fraților, adevărată concurență pentru Nobel! :) Pur și simplu genială, exact pe placul meu.
Martyn Tilse
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sparkling garden party. A coloured marquee. Sandwiches labeled with little flags. Charming graceful people. Katherine Mansfield nicely captures the slow elegance of being wealthy. The dark thread in her narrative comes with an interruption from less wealthy folk at the periphery. A wonderful short story that blames no one for life's inequality. Better than Chekov? I think so.
Danielle
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I really love how the author wove in the themes of death and social classes. It was an insightful read, and surprisingly did not make me want to bang my head against the wall. Had to read this for my college English class, but I would still recommend this because of the knowledge you can gain from it.
Jonathan
A man's death is a catalyst for a young girl learning about her own mortality. Perhaps this was revolutionary at the time of publication, but it certainly seems rather simplistic and classist by today's standards, even though that was the exact voice the author was fighting against.
Kelly Mize
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mansfield reveals the emptiness of modernity. Enter Prozac. Jarring read.
Dyan
This was okay, I guess..
Anna
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
It was quite an interesting short story, but it didn't really do a lot for me. However, that might come with more discussion. I must admit, though, that the fact that it is modernist already made me more excited about it and looking at it from a modernist perspective is really interesting to me.
Lee
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story is about sympathetic feelings of an upper class person toward fellow humans of lower class and reactions of people around to those feelings. It can be read as a feelings vs logic story and readers are going to think to what degree the character's sympathies are exaggerating or acceptable. A good read for me!
Karolien
I did not read anything by Katherine Mansfield before but when I got the assignment to do it I was quite happy to be introduced to her work.

She writes in a sophisticated way that makes one dream of charming English country houses. I loved Laura because she develops most during the story.
The fact that the short story is more than a nice narration of a garden party attributes to my liking of it.
It is about the English Classes and their way of living but it also shows a lot of maturity.
Belle Vilers
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this short story! Many more reasons as to why Mansfield is one of my favorite authors. I see Laura as someone who you could relate to, even nowadays, as there are many critical themes in this story relevant today. Death and understanding life is a big theme for Mansfield (if you ever read any of her other works, you'll see) and she shows the reader deeper insights so perfectly well, that at the end of this story I felt totally blown away. In my view, I see the "Garden Party" a ...more
Karin
Even though I don't have much to say about this, I ought to start registering the short stories I read, because now that I need one, I have no idea where to start.

So. A garden party. While someone down to street is grieving because her husband died that same morning. They never knew the man, nor the family. They usually avoid lingering around the area he lived. Is it okay to have the party anyway? Is it okay to, afterwards, give them the left-overs in condolences, still dressed with their party
 Marla
Short story about a privileged girl planning a garden party. I read it to help my daughter with a writing assignment she had in her literature class.

(view spoiler)
Ms. Davis
Jul 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blegh. I picked up this short story because I had heard good things about Katherine Mansfield. But (see first word of this review...) - this was definitely not a favorite of mine. The story was simplistic, strange, and empty. I can definitely say it was a quick read, but overall, I wasn't impressed with either the storyline or the writing. I may give the author another chance, but it might take me a while to get over this blegh short story.
April
Short story within "50 Great Short Stories".

Sometimes reading older stories I wonder how much is lost in translation; it was written in 1922, so much is different now. The way people speak, the subtleties, may not have the same ring to me that they did to readers nearly 100 years ago. So I'm not judging it because what seems very anticlimactic to me may just be a language barrier of sorts.
Doppelganger
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Eh, not really engaging but thoughtprovoking and exactly how a normal decent but kinda naive person would behave (IMHO).

Kateryna Krivovyaz
An incredible read. A real jarring experience.
Laurie
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Friends, family, parties, loved ones and death all ending in the statement "Isn't life?..." Makes you have to fill the blank, I love it.
Jenje
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Empathy can be so... inconvenient. It may be difficult to relate to the upper class garden party, but you've certainly found an excuse to ignore the panhandler - perhaps to the point where you don't even need the excuse any more. Why allow a stranger's tragedy to interfer with your planned soirée - it's not as though it's expected of you. Such a bother.

I'm quite guilty of this myself and will continue to be. One cannot take all the daily pain of the world on one's shoulders. No one is perfect,
Grace Osas

I liked this one much more than quite a few of the short stories I have received so far this year. I liked how Laura was against the social conventions between classes and she seemed like such a sweet person.

The ending was a little sad (to me, at least) and why is the sister called Laura and the brother Laurie?! Por qué, por qué.. por qué?!
Ihavenomoney4books
I don't know wether I'm too dumb or what is happening here, but i did not understand at all the point of this book. The stories are beautiful but end in mid sentence and I just can't understand what was I am to take of it
Alexis
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story was part of my last read, In which it was analyzed, this is a retelling of the story of Persephone. Enjoyed it very much.
Jean Carlton
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
excellent writing, wonderful story. Now reading more by her from a collection.
Filipa
Short look onto a high class girl, as her family life gets impacted by the life of the other 99%.
Katrina
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-fiction, 2017
This short story is a literary gem chock full of symbolism and social commentary.
Maria Wiseman
  • Notes From A Small Room
  • Teach English: A Training Course for Teachers
  • Chronopolis
  • The Luck of Roaring Camp
  • The Bishop and Other Stories (The Tales of Chekhov Volume 7)
  • Some of the Kinder Planets: Stories
  • In the House of the Seven Librarians
  • The Catbird Seat
  • The Use of Force
Kathleen Mansfield Murry was a prominent New Zealand modernist writer of short fiction who wrote under the pen name of Katherine Mansfield.

Katherine Mansfield is widely considered one of the best short story writers of her period. A number of her works, including "Miss Brill", "Prelude", "The Garden Party", "The Doll's House", and later works such as "The Fly", are frequently collected in short st
More about Katherine Mansfield...