Start by marking “The Lost Letters of Brother Gabriel (The Dark Divine, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Letters of Brother Gabriel (The Dark Divine, #2.5)

The Lost Letters of Brother Gabriel (The Dark Divine #2.5)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  411 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Brother Gabriel, Daniel’s mentor and an ancient Urbat, plays an important role in The Lost Saint as well as the upcoming conclusion to the Dark Divine trilogy, The Savage Grace. We were first introduced to Gabriel in The Dark Divine when Grace recieves a book of ancient letters that Gabriel (a young monk at the time) wrote to his sister during the Crusades, detailing his s ...more
Published November 10th 2011 by Egmont USA

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Letters of Brother Gabriel, please sign up.
Laina SpareTime Yeah, ebay and craiglist are not the best for ebooks, lol.

Yeah, ebay and craiglist are not the best for ebooks, lol.

I don't think you can get it anymore since Egmont closed, but you might be able to borrow the ebook from a library - my library's ebook borrowing system does have a copy.(less)

(Sara) Through the Looking Glass
I am so thankful to Bree Despain and everyone who decided to publish this series of letters. Up until now, I had connected with Gabriel's character, but only barely. Now, after hearing from his own words, the history of the Urbat, it is really heartwrenching and I can absorb his point of view more clearly.

Even though this was only twenty pages, they were all sapped with enough emotion to fill a novel. Gabriel is writing to his dear sister, Katherine in all of the letters, even after she is ki
Laina SpareTime
Cross-posted from my blog where there's more information on where I got my copy and everything.

First of all, I refuse to call this a novella because it's barely twenty pages long. It's pretty much a short story. That just kind of bugs me. Now, because Egmont closed its door, you can't really buy this anywhere, so finding it is probably going to be a bit difficult. I got lucky in that my library's ebook system had it, so I could just download it. Funnily enough, though, I looked it up one day, an
Joyce
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
A very heart-wrenching novella. So much emotion in this one. Anger, fear, vengeance, love, HOPE....Very insightful.
Douglas Cootey
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
After the release of the second book in the Dark Divine series came this li'l promo. It was meant to wet the appetite of readers who hadn't purchased The Lost Saint. Some reviewers here pan the book for not being a BOOK, but it was never meant to be anything more than a behind-the-scenes look at Brother Gabriel, a historical character in the story. Each letter from Brother Gabriel to his sister was released as a blog post on Bree Despain's blog in January 2011, then later compiled into an ebook ...more
Erin
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Was actually just starting "The Savage Grace", when I seen this short ebook. So of course I had to stop, and read it first. "The lost Letters Of Brother Gabriel", the title says it all. Its letter written by Gabriel, to his sister Katherine. Before and after her death. Giving you a better insight of this struggles with being infected. And his fight to keep the wolf at bay.
After reading this short story (20 pages). I felt bad for Gabriel, and what he went throw. I mean the event that really brou
M.A. Nichols
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a great tini-tiny novella. Frankly, I expected it to just be a reprint of the letters that were already in the first book, but it wasn't. It gave a huge amount of backstory to Gabriel. It gave a depth to his character and a whole lot of understanding about who he is and what he's struggling with. I just wish there was more.

This is a good example of what a novella can do for a series. It doesn't belong in the main novels, but gives more understanding about the world and/or characters. So
Stephie2309
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fazit
Insgesamt ist The Lost Letters of Brother Gabriel ein sehr empfehlenswertes Buch für Kenner und Fans der Trilogie, die etwas mehr über Gabriels Schicksal erfahren möchten. Außerdem verkürzt es die Wartezeit auf den ersehnten finalen Teil der Serie.

Die vollständige Rezension findet ihr auf meinem Blog:
Lahni
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I probably would have liked them better if I'd read them shortly after I read the books so the story was fresh in my mind. Also, it bugged me that the dialog in the letters was "old English" with words like "thou didst this" but the majority was in modern English. I couldn't quite get past that inconsistency.
Z
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's hard rating this and writing a review, I would have preferred if we found out more about Gabriel throughout the book instead of these letters, but I did nonetheless find his story quite interesting and it was nice building a connection, which I didn't have a chance to do, as his story in the Lost Saint is a bit vague!
Tanya
Feb 03, 2012 added it
Shelves: 1-nook
I'm not actually giving this book a rating. I'm really mad at myself for spending the money on it. I just finished the last book in the series and was so disappointed that I can't bring myself to read it. Maybe I'll revisit some time in the future.
just.jess
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i now understand more of Gabriel and his gratitude towards Sirhan.
They've been friends for ages and their friendship still runs strong!
I love Gabriel, despite all his monk-i-ness ( is that even a word?)
:) <3
Stefanie
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Well, I wouldn't call it a terrible book (or even a novella) but it wasn't a great book either. It focuses solely on Gabriel, how the wolf curse took him over, and his discovery of the moonstones. I don't see how it adds to the series, but maybe it will make more sense after I finish the last book.
Jeannine
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Great author, not a great book

It was pretty good, but I wouldn't call it a book. It was very short and I felt it didn't add much to the story. I love the other books in the series though and I definitely recommend them.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: werewolves
Beautiful cover!

After reading these letter I felt I understood Gabriel more. I didn't liked or disliked him in previous books but now,I finally know more about his past and the things he did to become a man(werewolf) he is today.
Lawral
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is tortuous! I can't wait for the next install,ent of this series! This mini-ebook was also a great refresher of the mythology of Despain's werewolves as opposed to all the others I have read about since reading The Lost Saint.
Nola
Dec 16, 2011 rated it liked it
i love bree's books, but i was a little disappointed this one, in the dark divine, it seemed like there where more letters, so after reading which was good , just seemed like there was something left out, or should've been a few more letteres,
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
So it was interesting to read those letters. I'll admit that sometimes, I had trouble understanding this old english (after all, English is not my main language), but I think it brought a bit more to the background story of the series about Gabriel.
J.A. Souders
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very nice companion and filler for the series. Glad I read it after I finished the series. I think some of the surprises I liked most in book 3 would've been spoiled by this.
Teri
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This compilation of letters was a good companion piece to the books in the world of The Dark Divine. They were short, but they gave a lot of good background that helped to flesh out Gabriel.
Ashley
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good little edition to The Dark Divine Series.
Luce
Nov 02, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-releases
I love the colors on the cover! I think this looks a lot better than The Savage Grace!
Emily
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z1-2012-read
Thank you Bree Despain for including this Dark Divine short story. I loved learning more about Brother Gabriel. :)
JAS
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I LIKED READING THE LETTERS AND GETTING TO KNOW BROTHER GABRIEL. ALSO YOU GET TO FIND OUT WHY HE SWORE ON NEVER FIGHTING AGAIN
April
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
3.5
Scarlet
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It was interesting.

Cant wait for The Savage Grace!
Lisa
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not worth having made letters into a book along could have added to one of the regular books.
Adaluz
Mar 06, 2014 added it
Darcy
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, e-book, shifters, ya
I liked that these letters gave us some of the Urbat history. I really like the last one, loved how it brought the past to the present.
Anne
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
It was only 22 pages so obviously, I was able to finish it really quick. Basically, it just gave us a glimpse of what Gabriel's life was before we met him in The Lost Saint.
  • Crow Memory (The Blood Journals, #1.5)
  • Aftermath (Nightshade #3.5; Nightshade World #6.5)
  • The Lost Boy (The Iron Witch, #0.5)
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
  • Lost Girls (Drake Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Girls' Night Out (Faeriewalker, #3.5)
  • Breathless (Firelight, #3.5)
  • All I Want for Christmas (The Demon Trappers, #0.4)
  • Secrets of the Time Society  (Timeless, #1.5)
  • Resist (Possession, #0.5)
  • Beasts and BFFs (13 to Life, #0.5)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • Ravage (Deviants, #3)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Old Habits (Wicked Lovely, #2.6)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Bad Yeti (Kate Grable, #1.5)
  • Dangerous (Darkest Powers, #0.5)
The Short: Bree rediscovered her childhood love for creating stories when she took a semester off college to write and direct plays for at-risk, inner-city teens from Philadelphia and New York. She currently lives in Salt Lake City, Utah with her husband, two young sons, and her beloved TiVo. The Dark Divine is Bree's debut novel.

The Long: As a kid, Bree would staple folded papers to make her own
More about Bree Despain

The Dark Divine (3 books)
  • The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • The Savage Grace (The Dark Divine, #3)