Start by marking “Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders” as Want to Read:
Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders

Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  412 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In Eating the Big Fish, Adam Morgan offers hands-on advice, examples, and useful information to the #2, #3, and #4 brands looking to compete effectively with the top banana. He defines the various types of "challenger brands" and then discusses the brand and advertising strategies of the most famous and successful challenger brands of the last decade.
Published January 27th 1999 by Wiley (first published January 13th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Eating the Big Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating the Big Fish

Pete Davis
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm reading through the Top 10 recommended publicity and marketing books to see if there's any gems for use with civic projects. Many recommended this one as a guide to being an insurgent challenger to some established entity. There were some gems: focus on differences and dramatize them, triple down on what makes you special, be a "lighthouse" in the sense that you don't follow the market but rather be a consistent source of your founding spirit that attracts the market to you. However, unlike ...more
Manda
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sara Laor
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Big fat book that states the obvious: what is your point of differentiation? What are you willing to sacrifice in order to become unique? Good concepts, pretty much basic marketing packaged in long words and a fat tome.
Joey Rath
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really good book with profound ideas in how challenger brands approach the marketplace. It was a little dry to read at times, but a definite must read for any new brands and individuals that just want to be smarter marketers.
Scott Wozniak
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a strong description of how a company can find their niche and grow their share in a space that's already dominated by a big fish (existing market leader).

There are a lot of examples of both good and bad strategies. But I was pleasantly surprised by the thought given to the overall framework and universal principles.

If your business is a challenger in a space already dominated by another company, then this is a great book for you.
Scott North
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This book has some absolutely brilliant moments, however it is a bit of a challenging read due to some of the language / grammar used and also the length. It also does just keep going and is a bit repetitive near the end.

Perhaps don't take this book as a straight read through but rather the chapters and focus you need whilst developing your strategic thinking.
Michael Tuggle
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advertising
Adam Morgan is one the earliest and best leaders in the concept of "challenger branding" that Loomis has adopted as our foundational philosophy. We are a challenger brand agency serving those clients who are outmanned and outspent by bigger competitors. Our job is to outthink those competitors and this book lays the foundation for that. Even if you're not a challenger brand agency, or in advertising, it's a fascinating read.
Chi Pham
An appropriate textbook for marketing, no more, no less. Honestly, I expected a book on the level of "The Origin of Brands", but I was let down. Over the years, I have come to read many more books like this, but with more engaging writing styles. Hey, Mankiw teaches us that textbooks could be fun, too! Give this book a shot if you need to learn (quickly) about marketing, but it is not going to be a great ride.
Tim
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marketing book focusing on how the little fish can take market share away from bigger fish. I enjoyed the case studies in this book and passion in the reading. You have to be bold to eat the big fish but I think that Morgan makes are strong point for boldness and gives marketers many different ways to do it.
A great book for marketers.
Mike Moyer
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books about branding and marketing. The book covers some key concept about how smaller companies can beat the big companies. It pairs well with Blue Ocean Strategy.

I loan the book out a lot to friends and students so I've had to buy it many times because I don't keep track!
Chas Bayfield
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I set up an ad agency in 2001, this was one of two books I was told to read (the other was the Tipping Point). I'm glad I took the advice, it was brilliant and hugely encouraging. It's helpful to realise that the little guys aren't little because they aren't good, they're little because they haven't worked out how to be big yet.
Michael
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-time
Posits the thesis that challenger brands must approach strategy and tactics very differently than leader brands. Strong, actionable direction. Well done, though could use an update that refreshes the case studies.
Meg
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Actually I'm reading the 2nd, updated version. It is particularly apropos to the major brand evaluation my company is undertaking right now and this book is really sparking a lot of new ways of thinking.
Dulcie
Dec 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
B-O-L-L-O-C-K-S. World champion contender in stating the bleeding obvious. Mr Morgan is a pretender & not a challenger.
Save your time and spend it with someone you love or doing something you enjoy.
Just don't read this.
Marlon Stephen
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Currently reading the 2nd edition which was updated in 2009 to include social media and the rise of Facebook as a case study.
Hussain Al-essa
Nov 27, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I recommendation from a dear friend.
Andy Mcilwain
Biggest takeaway: Figure out what nobody else is doing. Make that your point of differentiation, and promote the hell out of it.
Isaiah Fapuro
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Not My traditional read, but interesting all the same. My boss bought it for me for Christmas, and it's given me good insight into branding, and some ideas for the company I work for. Exciting times.
grumblemouse
Natasha Acres
rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2008
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Building Strong Brands
  • How Brands Grow: What Marketers Don't Know
  • Brandsimple: How the Best Brands Keep It Simple and Succeed
  • The One to One Future
  • Emotional Branding: The New Paradigm for Connecting Brands to People
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • Experiential Marketing: How to Get Customers to Sense, Feel, Think, Act, Relate
  • Brand Hijack: Marketing Without Marketing
  • The Hero and the Outlaw: Building Extraordinary Brands Through the Power of Archetypes
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There
  • Consumerology: The Market Research Myth, the Truth about Consumers and the Psychology of Shopping
  • Creative Advertising: Ideas and Techniques from the World's Best Campaigns
“They have come across an aspect of product performance about a brand that is startlingly impressive: that a Land Rover is designed to be able to drive 4,000 miles continually off-road, for example; that the airline I flew in on this morning had a masseuse on the plane that gave me a neck massage when I woke up; or that an ice cream that was forced upon me last night contained preposterously large chunks of Toffee Chocolate Fudge.” 2 likes
“A Lighthouse brand is one that has a very clear sense of where it stands, and why it stands there. This sense of self is built on rock—a” 1 likes