Start by marking “The Lords of Discipline” as Want to Read:
The Lords of Discipline

The Lords of Discipline

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  23,236 ratings  ·  1,275 reviews
In this powerful, mesmerizing, and acclaimed bestseller, Pat Conroy sweeps us into the turbulent world of four young men—friends, cadets, and blood brothers—and their days of hazing, heartbreak, pride, betrayal, and, ultimately, humanity. We go deep into the heart of the novel’s hero, Will McLean, a rebellious outsider with his own personal code of honor who is battling in ...more
Published March 26th 2002 by Dial Press Trade Paperback (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Lords of Discipline, please sign up.
Larry Attending a military school might help to understand the book better. Certainly an understanding of the Citadel, the Military College of South…moreAttending a military school might help to understand the book better. Certainly an understanding of the Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina, which is the thinly veiled model for the novel's "Institute", adds to understanding the novel. Many of the hazing practices like a "sweat party" may seem barbaric, but, I believe are accurate if not entirely complete. If anything, Conroy doesn't go into as much detail as another book specifically about El Cid goes into..."F-Troop" is a book about 2nd Battalion, Company F...it is essentially a book of short stories about the Citadel, and more fully describes sweat parties...

(Btw...Company F is still referred to as F Troop...4th Battalion, which includes Will McLean's R Company, is referred to as the "Zoo")

Fortunately, the current administration, and most importantly the Commandant, have take great measures to eliminate (or at least significantly reduce) hazing at El Cid. Many decry the elimination of these practices...an while I understand their passion for the "Old Corps", I see the extraordinary measures as unnecessary for the making of the "Whole Man"...there are many elements at work that still cause tremendous culling of cadets...few who do not truly want to be there will remain.

For those who wonder...Hell Night still occurs as part of the Knob's (freshmen) first week on campus. Many do leave within the first week.

Few other military schools have the intensity or duration of El Cid's 4th Class system...(actually, none that I know of in the US).

There is much in the novel that is very recognizable still in the practices at El Cid today...in fact, frighteningly so. And the descriptions of Charleston and it's charms are spot on. For one with a new and growing love of both El Cid and Charleston, this has been a disturbing read. I will proceed cautiously in my relationship with both.(less)
Larry Claire's answere is right...and not...I agree with her that the book describes the Citadel (the thinly veiled real world "Institute") very well...

…more

...but that's not to say that it describes miltary training well...two rather different things...

(less)

·  23,236 ratings  ·  1,275 reviews

Pouting Always
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love Pat Conroy and I don't think I could ever do justice when reviewing any of his books. His writing is always so rich and draws me in with it's vivid imagery and he always somehow manages to convey so much emotion through his writing that I always feel really affected by it even months after reading it. This book was excellent, the characters were deep and complex and the plot line was really heavy but well constructed. He managed to address issues like perceptions of masculinity and social ...more
Jana
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm a bit scared that I won't be able to describe how much I love this book and that I’ll screw up this review. Every time I have the same problem with Conroy. Every time when I finish reading ''him'' I have this properly deep ache. I get spoiled and I find myself measuring almost everything I’ve read so far.

I even get angry because I know it will take a long and thorough research to find book(s), author(s) that could replace this Pat Conroy feeling. And I never do find them, I never managed. T
George
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: E V E R Y O N E!!!
This would be the 3rd unforgettable book I've read by Mr. Conroy in the past year, and to date. I just love reading his work. There is no other way to put it. He just simply writes, in my humble opinion, the most beautiful sentences I have ever read. He has an unflinching capacity to be so brutally honest it often hurts. But it is the greatest pain one can recieve from a great novel. The amount of passion, pain, and pure adrenaline within the pages of this book will not let the reader put this o ...more
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. An incredibly in-depth novel about life for young men in a military school. Hilarious, tragic, and sobering, THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE is one of the best books I've ever read.
Joseph
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book of several plot lines and experiences that reflect the plebe system, racism, class, and secrecy. Honor is taught and praised but not all follow. Loyalty to your fellow cadets is earned; others are forced out. A system that takes Marine boot camp from eleven weeks to four years. The task is taken to earn the title or in this case the ring and become part of a brotherhood that is forever.
Muhammad K
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: See 5th body of text in review
Recommended to Muhammad by: English Class
“The objects you valued defined you.” (Page 376, The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy).

Friedrich Nietzsche said, “There are no beautiful surfaces without a terrible depth.” The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy is able to demonstrate this with meticulous detail. It focuses on Will McLean’s dark experiences in his last year at the Carolina Military Institute, a school where administration turns the other cheek to vicious hazing practices designed to produce “real men.” This is a story about lov
Bob Mayer
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with all Conroy books there are many plot lines in the story. So many, that when they made the movie, they left out the main one! Nevertheless, a writer like Conroy can handle that many stories with his superb prose.
As a graduate of West Point we always wondered why people went to the Citadel to be abused. I still wonder although it is an ingrained part of society in that part of the country.
Conroy was never afraid to take on difficult topics and his frank look at the racism might even be und
Barnabas Piper
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first of Conroy’s novels I ever read. Since that time I have read all of them (there aren’t many, about a half dozen). Lords of Discipline is as forceful a novel as I have read. To describe the plot would not do it justice, but here is the gist. Will Maclean is a cadet at Carolina Military institute (a fictional school in Charleston, SC based largely on The Citadel where Conroy attended). He is asked to look out for the first black incoming freshman in school history and see him thr ...more
Buck
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Buck by: Linda Griffin
I was introduced to this book at Pat Conroy by my high school algebra teacher. She was reading the book just after it came out and suggested that we all read it. I think I may have been the only one who did.

I immediately fell in love with this work. Conroy's descriptions of Charleston are priceless. Some of my favorite quotes come from this book.

I return to this work yearly to explore my old friends once more and with each reading I find a nuance that I had overlooked in the past.

From the openin
✨Susan✨
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this is a rough Read. Interesting what was expected or accepted during the Vietnam War. There was no room for the week. These young men were put through rigorous and demeaning torture that was definitely the actions of ruthless young men that had a history of violence or abuse in their younger lives. The power hungry, older officers should have been charged with Conduct Unbecoming an Officer and a Gentleman. On the flip side there was a group of friends that were very loyal to each other...o ...more
Steffany Cartellone
I love Conroy's humor in this book, the way he uses it to diffuse some incredibly raw scenes. I cried so hard when Pig walks down the line and the men turn their back on him. And then the train. Ugh. It absolutely broke my heart. I love all of Conroy's books for their descriptions, for introducing me to the beautiful South, and for his characters. He has strong people with strong issues which makes them real. And the men are vulnerable and strong and that's not something you see in many books. T ...more
Michael
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this book over the course of two days in September 2000. I could not put it down. It was recommended to me by a friend who attend The Citadel. I rarely read books as fast as I read this one. I highly recommend it.
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Pat Conroy has done it again! He drew me into The Lords of Discipline both visually and emotionally. I thought I was right there with Will McLean.

"I wear the ring.

I wear the ring and I return often to the city of Charleston, South Carolina, to study the history of my becoming a man. My approach to Charleston is always silent and distracted, but I come under full sail, with hissing silk and memories a wing above me in the shapes of the birds...

But to me, Charleston is a dark city, a melancholy
LemonLinda
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got so much more from this book than I expected. I had expected to hear a story of hazing and tough military discipline. And I knew that the main character was loosely based on Conroy and his years at The Citadel because I had read about his tenuous relationship with his alma mater for years and read about the reconciliation and his returning to the college to deliver what I think was a commencement address.

I did not, however, expect to read a story of a whole and complete person, one who com
bookczuk
This is one of my favorite Conroy books, though the subject matter isn't easyfor those of us who know The Citadel, but there's much that's true about it back in the day. It's a different place now, though.
My son read 18 pages of it and announced he knew who the best living author in SC is. I have multiple copies on my shelf as I believe in spreading a good thing. Some people, however, were less than thrilled with this book. It made it to a Banned/Challenged Books list. It was challenged in the
Caley Rogers
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want a glimpse into what goes on at a military college.
Fantastic book! Pat Conroy does an excellent job conveying the life of a student at Carolina Military Institute (based on the Citadel). Conroy has a wonderful writing style that really enables the reader to visualize everything in the novel, from the atmosphere of Charleson to the vicious beating the cadets endure. The book is told from one boy's point of view and begins with his senior year, but has flashbacks to his earlier years. While you may flinch at the violence that is tolerated at such ...more
Glenda
All the stars! I read this for a challenge I'm doing. This fulfills the category of reading a book published the year you turned 18/graduated high school. What a fantastic find!

The Lords of Discipline tells the powerful story of Will McLean, a senior who attends the prestigious South Carolina military school, also known as the Institute. Will elaborates on the traditions at the Institute and the harsh reality of his freshman, or “plebe” year. Will quickly learns that to get through the years, he
Drew
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of exceptional literature
This is quite simply my very favorite book of all time. Pat Conroy draws upon some of the events of his days as a cadet at The Citadel to tell the story of Will McLean, a senior who attends the fictional Carolina Military Institute in Charleston, South Carolina on a basketball scholarship. Will is charged with shepherding the Institute's first black cadet, Tom Pearce, through his freshman year at CMI. In Charleston, South Carolina, in 1967, Pearce is being welcomed through the Gates of Legrand w ...more
Marialyce
Oh wow, just wow.....I know that I should be the president of the "I love Pat Conroy fan club", but this book was just in a word fantastic. I went through the gauntlet of emotions while reading this story. Mr Conroy remains in my mind the consummate story teller. He lays his emotions out in the open and fills his characters with such reality that you would know them if they walked into a room in which you were seated.

This book about a young man's coming of age while enrolled in Southern military
James Aura
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful and wonderfully told through the memories of a young man who experienced the hazing culture of a southern military college. Conroy said the school was a composite of several schools, but it strikingly resembles the Citadel in Charleston, SC where the story takes place. Great characters, memorable action, and Charleston is so well described the old city serves as an additional character in the plot. Powerful suspense and a satisfying ending. Conroy was a master.
Dan
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4.5

I figured I should read the most notorious Citadel novel now that I work there. It's a little melodramatic in a couple of places and depicts a couple things that are hard to read but on the whole is a great work. I see both how he still loved the place despite its brutality at the time he went through it and why he felt compelled to expose that brutality. It's easy to see why The Citadel excommunicated him for a time. His descriptions of Charleston made me want to get to know my new city. The
Kathleen

THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE by Pat Conroy and performed by Dan John Miller includes a New Introduction read by the author, Pat Conroy. Mr. Conroy explains that this book was banned for years in schools and institutions in the USA.
Pat Conroy has me sympathizing with the freshmen as they are bullied and hazed all year long. Many of the boys cannot endure the torture and leave the institution; one takes his own life.
The badgering and vile language is very difficult to hear and I often needed to stop
Patricia Kurz
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any Southern fiction fan, Conroy fans
Shelves: fiction-novel
Only because it's Conroy is it 3* -- else 2...

I know that this book is the foundation for most of Conroy's story telling, but I have to say, that perhaps because of his immaturity in his writing career at that time, it is poorly edited and a bit self-inflated.

The descriptions of some of the initiations of the military school were so repetitive, so boring, that after a while, one did not experience the horror any longer. The plight of the African American kid could have been so much more deeply
Bill
Feb 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, dnf
54% in and I just can't do it anymore.

Hard to believe this is the same guy who wrote The Prince of Tides, and I'm so thankful I hadn't read Lords of Discipline before that because there is no way I would have read Pat Conroy again.

The Prince of Tides was immensely readable. Fantastic characters, and an even narrative that made it such an absorbing read. While Lords of Discipline had fine characters, the narrative was, at best, uneven, and in dire need of a good editor.

Sprawling and highly repeti
George
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ipad, pat-conroy
BRUTAL. HAUNTING. SUBTLE. COMPELLING.

"Cruelty was an easy sport to master when practiced anonymously."—screen 971

Any atrocity is okay if it's done for the sake of the tribe.

THE LORDS IF DISCIPLINE, by Pat Conroy, is one of the most compelling, 'hard-to-put-down' novels I've ever read. It brutally probes the subtlest nuances of honor, of integrity, of character, of cruelty, of callousness, and of fear.

How have I missed reading this incredibly haunting story, first published in 1980, for thirty-fo
David
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rare indeed is it that I, someone early to bed and late to rise, finds himself wide awake at 1:30am unable to even consider going to bed until the book being read is finished. This almost unbelievable scenario took place last night as I kept turning the pages of this book.

This is the 3rd or 4th Conroy novel I have read to date (I have my Losing Season on the shelf) and it is without doubt the best so far. The characters, the dialog, the quality of the plot, and the intensity of the writing is a
Shelli
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
An excellent read. Pat Conroy is an amazing writer and story teller. This is a fictional account of a cadet at Carolina Military Institute in the late 60's....based on the author's own experiences at The Citadel during the same time. While difficult to read and even more difficult to digest at times, this should not be missed. Riveting!!!
Claudia
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Claudia by: Danny
One of my students was being recruited to play football at the Citadel, the fictional setting for this book. I told him I couldn't let him go until he read this book. Conroy's said this book is the reason for years he was not welcomed to the campus. Now it's included in the curriculum. Deep, rich, eloquent. I loved this one.
Siv30
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
****הסקירה כוללת ספויילרים*****

"Later I would learn that many of the same boys who suffered most grievously in the plebe system became the most brutal and sadistic of upperclassmen. The Institute had allowed them to find the courage that was hidden within them. Beneath the fat and bone, beneath the terror, the blade of the system had hit upon an undiscovered vein of iron. The system had surprised and honored them by alerting them to the existence of an enormous interior strength and capacity for
Mark
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
“In Charleston, more than elsewhere, you get the feeling that the twentieth century is a vast, unconscionable mistake.”

“Evil would always come to me disguised in systems and dignified by law.”

This is a story about four cadets, in their final year at a military institute called The Citadel. It is 1966, Charleston, S.C. Will McLean is our wise-cracking narrator. He is also a poor boy from Georgia, with an authority problem. This novel is about friendships and loyalty, but there is also debauch
The Lords of Discipline 2 27 Feb 29, 2016 06:42AM
The Lords of Discipline 4 30 Oct 19, 2013 12:45PM
The Lords of Discipline 1 11 Sep 05, 2013 10:10AM
The Prince of Pro...: Just came back from Charleston 4 38 Mar 15, 2013 04:53PM
  • The Whisper of the River (Porter Osborne Jr, #2)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Rich in Love
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Elvis is Dead And I Don't Feel So Good Myself
  • Red Grass River: A Legend
  • Queen of Broken Hearts
  • The Last Catholic in America
  • Freedom Flyers: The Tuskegee Airmen of World War II (Oxford Oral History Series)
  • The River Between
  • Band of Angels
  • Peninsula of Lies: A True Story of Mysterious Birth and Taboo Love
Pat Conroy (1945 - 2016) was the New York Times bestselling author of two memoirs and seven novels, including The Prince of Tides, The Great Santini, and The Lords of Discipline. Born the eldest of seven children in a rigidly disciplined military household, he attended the Citadel, the military college of South Carolina. He briefly became a schoolteacher (which he chronicled in his memoir The Wate ...more
“Happiness is an accident of nature, a beautiful and flawless aberration.” 1431 likes
“I wanted to become the seeker, the aroused and passionate explorer, and it was better to go at it knowing nothing at all, always choosing the unmarked bottle, always choosing your own unproven method, armed with nothing but faith and a belief in astonishment.” 106 likes