Start by marking “Mothership (Ever-Expanding Universe, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mothership (Ever-Expanding Universe, #1)

Mothership (Ever-Expanding Universe #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,064 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews
Teen pregnancy is never easy—especially not when extraterrestrials are involved. The first in a new trilogy.

Elvie Nara was doing just fine in the year 2074. She had a great best friend, a dad she adored, and bright future working on the Ares Project on Mars. But then she had to get involved with sweet, gorgeous, dumb-as-a-brick Cole--and now she’s pregnant.

Getting shipped
Published July 10th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mothership, please sign up.

Alessandra Santamaria define clean.. do you mean language wise or sexually wise? its not graphic, appropiate for middle schoolers in my opinion
Cinder by Marissa MeyerUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiThe Selection by Kiera CassThe Immortal Rules by Julie KagawaEverneath by Brodi Ashton
New Series (2012)
87th out of 296 books — 762 voters
Across the Universe by Beth RevisEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThese Broken Stars by Amie KaufmanCinder by Marissa MeyerA Million Suns by Beth Revis
Teenagers . . . IN SPACE!
76th out of 276 books — 443 voters

More lists with this book...

anilee
Aug 10, 2012 anilee rated it really liked it
I didn't want to read Mothership. I mean, I might be on a sci-fi kick and all, but a book about pregnant teens? No thanks.

I am notoriously weak-willed when it comes to books.

And fine, it might bother some people that this is a book about pregnant teenagers, some of whom die in kind of gruesome ways. Some of the details of the premise/plot might be a little problematic or bothersome. And to some extent, (view spoiler)
Liviania
Jul 27, 2012 Liviania rated it it was ok
I wanted to read MOTHERSHIP because all the reviews said it was absolutely hilarious and the title is a pun. I can never resist a good pun. Plus I thought the bright, retro cover was super fun. (It's even cooler in person. The computer screen doesn't show how much the pink pops against the purple.)

The reviewers were right: MOTHERSHIP is hilarious. Sixteen-year-old Elvie Nara's snarky, clever voice carries the novel. She's three months away from her due date when commandos invade the Hanover Scho
Rashika (is tired)
This book is exactly what the cover suggests it is. It’s fluff. The question arises as to whether it’s good or bad fluff and in my opinion, this book is fluff of the good variety. It didn’t always feel that way though. The first 100 pages or so were incredibly painful. I kept questioning the sanity of our main character and my own sanity too for continuing to read a book I wasn't enjoying. The reason I read on, even though I wasn't having a swell time, was because the book was funny. I hoped tha ...more
Emily
Feb 03, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, series
When I was pregnant, I was admitted to the hospital with what I thought were early labor pains. Turns out, I had a kidney stone. Regardless of that, when they admitted me I was given a nice and ugly wristband that declared me a "fall risk." Why? Because a clumsy pregnant woman is not a safe place for a baby who's trying to grow.

And even though I fell once during my pregnancy, it was once. Not enough to harm my baby. The amount of falls that these girls, particularly our main gal, take makes me q
Katie
Jul 29, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I can already tell that Mothership is going to be one of those seriously underrated books. Before getting a copy for review I had heard nothing about it and honestly I probably wouldn’t have purchased a copy at the bookstore just based on the summary and cover. Boy am I glad I gave this one a chance though. Mothership is a laugh-out-loud look at teen pregnancy in space. With aliens. Seriously, where could you go wrong?

Elvie is one very unhappy pregnant teenager. When her dad found out she was pr
Lenore Appelhans
This was such a nice surprise - a very funny sci-fi black comedy (I say black because there is a lot of death). Though Elvie's voice is sometimes a tad too snarky teen, I do have to admit she has some great one-liners. I love how smart and resourceful Elvie is no knocked-up damsel in distress here. I also love the clever plot and great twists. And what a well executed cliffhanger! Looking forward to the next book for sure.
Jenny Q
Oct 23, 2012 Jenny Q rated it it was amazing
Did you read the back cover? Sounds kind of crazy, right? Well, it is!

What a treat! Wildly imaginative and inventive, with a smart, no-nonsense heroine with a wise-ass sense of humor. I grinned and chuckled through the whole thing. The story is super original and Elvie's voice is fresh and real. I was hooked from page one and blew through this in a day. This story takes a few teen cliches and dumps them on their ears. (And a few alien cliches, too!) The plot is tight and full of twists, and to t
Emily
Sep 25, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
I was not expecting to love this book as wholly, as passionately, as scream-from-rooftops ecstatically, as I do. I went in thinking it would just be a cute, goofy Teen Mom in space kinda adventure. Yes, it is all up in the teen-mom-in-space premise for the first 15 pages or so, until THE SPACESHIP IS INVADED BY HUNKY ALIENS. And it doesn't end there. There are multiple species of hunky aliens, potential alien-baby-daddies, at odds with each other, disparate groups of girls banding together and t ...more
Austin Zook
Jun 11, 2016 Austin Zook rated it liked it
A novel with a fun premise and breezy prose. While I wasn't in love with it, mostly because I got tired of the protagonist and her teenage-isms after awhile, I did enjoy it--especially the latter half, which I felt moved along at a much more appropriate pace for a pulpy sci-fi novel about pregnant teens in space than the beginning.

The characters are pretty cookie-cutter (bitchy cheerleaders, the weird art kid, and so on) and it read like a high school flick in space, which it is, so take that ho
Elizabeth
Sep 05, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
4 stars... 4 pure hilarious stars.

Mothership is one of the funniest books I've read in a while. It's totally ridiculous, not believable, not cute-sy, not that action-y, and there is NO real plot point (in my opinion), but... it is freaking hilarious.

“I fumble for the return tab and quickly type as I continue my way down the catwalk.

Ned help!

Thank you, SmartText, for knowing how pressing my need for Ned is at this very moment.”
― Martin Leicht, Mothership

It is as ridiculous as the cover and t
Luna
Jul 21, 2015 Luna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Independent Bookshops rule! I asked for a recommendation and Mothership got handed to me. I don’t think I ever would have picked it up myself. Neither the blurb or cover would have called to me but I enjoyed this – a lot.

Elvie is stuck in a school for expectant teen mum along with the one girl she loathes, which is bad enough. They’re in space, with a shoddy connection to Earth so Elvie doesn’t get to talk to her best friend that much and then the ship gets boarded by aliens.

Mothership is a lot
Kavanand
Jan 06, 2015 Kavanand rated it really liked it
Sixteen-year-old Elvie made a big mistake. She slept with her big crush Cole and ended up pregnant. When she told Cole, he hightailed it out of town. Elvie's single father can't deal with the situation, and he sends her off to a school for unwed mothers on a cruiseliner spaceship that's orbiting Earth. Things aren't too bad in outer space, if Elvie can ignore her late pregnancy discomfort and the presence of her nemesis (and rival for Cole's affection) Britta. Then one day, armed commandos storm ...more
Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)
The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

I’ll be totally honest, when I started this novel I didn’t have a clue what it was about beyond the vague notion that it would involve aliens. I never read the synopsis. The thought process was simple, I just finished Second Chance Summer and while it was good, it was a bit of a downer and I wanted to read something uplifting and funny. I saw this little novel up on PulseIt and vaguely remember reading various reviews proclaiming
Arminzerella
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Jan 07, 2013 Christina (A Reader of Fictions) rated it liked it
Recommended to Christina (A Reader of Fictions) by: Bekka (Pretty Deadly Reviews)
Mothership came highly recommended from a number of highly trustworthy sources, but, I have to admit, I had a healthy dose of skepticism about me ever being able to appreciate it. I mean, it's a book about pregnant teens. I'm not a big fan of anything about pregnancy, let alone with a focus on teenagers. However, Leicht and Neal manage to craft a hilarious, albeit occasionally really gross, story out of the premise of pregnant teens in space.

Though I try not to go too crazy comparing books to ot
Bailey (IB Book Blogging)
MOTHERSHIP is a fresh and hilarious debut that is full of fun times, crazy experiences, and aliens galore! If the teen pregnancy story line makes you hesitant about it, let me tell you, there is so much more to the book than that.The science fiction aspect is engaging and readers will be fascinated by the concepts the authors introduce. So don't balk when you see pregnancy in the synopsis! Take a chance and I know you'll find yourself surprised by how much you love it.

Our heroine Elvie will have
Stacey B.
Oct 06, 2012 Stacey B. rated it liked it
OVERALL IMPRESSION: The book didn't pull me in as much as I wanted it to. I really like the idea of the story, as there aren't many YA books about aliens out on the market, but I had a hard time connecting with the plot and the characters. There is a little bit of humor added throughout the book which lightens the mood a little bit and the chapter titles are pretty entertaining.

The ending -- AHH! I immedieatly checked online to see if/when the sequel is coming out. Good news -- there is a sequa
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Aug 12, 2012 Jo (Mixed Book Bag) rated it it was amazing
This is the most fun read I have had in a long time. Mothership is listed as YA but it is really for all ages. It is book One of the Ever Expanding Universe but what is expanding the most is the baby bumps each of the girls are sporting. So we have a Science Fiction book about pregnant teenagers. This should be a serious topic but the twist the authors put on why and how they ended up where they are is what is so unusual.
There are serious moments and a lot of danger in the story. Elvie Nara is t
Suzanne
Jan 01, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
When Elvie Nora finds herself knocked up at sixteen with an absent baby daddy she had a big decision to to make. Set in a futuristic America where girls who are sixteen and pregnant don't end up on MTV, instead they have the option of a attending a special school that is rotating the plant on a space cruse lined that is no longer being used. While orbiting the planet with forty-some-odd other pregnant teens, the school is raided by helmeted commandos and the teachers start trying to drown the gi ...more
Nicole Chase
Jun 30, 2013 Nicole Chase rated it it was ok
Shelves: its-got-issues
Oh the feelings I have about this book...
TW (book & review): teen pregnancy, unplanned pregnancy, discussion of abortion, ableism, (view spoiler) (I'm really not sure this should be YA, actually.)

Starting with the positive! Elvie was, for the most part, an enjoyable main character. She is smart and kicks butt at some things without being a complete Mary Sue. The concept - a space yacht full of pregnant teenagers turns out to be run by al
Katie  (Books and Katie)
The Goober is still kicking me like the kid's trying to place in the Olympic freestyle, so I wrap my right arm as tight around my belly as I can, until I'm, like, choke-holding my own stomach, and I tell the thing, "When you get out of there, bub, the two of us are going to have words."

Review:

This book is a super fun, light read about the future, pregnancy and aliens. It has the concept of a contemporary with the feel of a science-fiction adventure. While this is definitely not something I wou
Tiana
Jul 29, 2013 Tiana rated it liked it
I wanted to like this more than I actually did. The beginning had me thinking it would be awesome, but alas. Let me break it down:

The Good -
The voice is very strong and fun. Even at its most serious moments, this book doesn't fail to bring a smile to your face. The main character is smart, independent and likable. Also, Ducky, her best friend, is pretty awesome.

The Bad -
So many plot holes. I think they just thought the fun voice would carry it, and that they wouldn't need to fix some of the e
Howdy YAL
Aug 11, 2012 Howdy YAL rated it really liked it
To see full review click here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/201...

Disclosure: I used to be a huge fan of Ancient Aliens (i.e. before I went to law school and had to allocate my TV time appropriately). The show was ridiculous on so many levels it was hilarious. Plus, some of the folklore they talked about was sort of cool. So I'm sort of into reading anything about aliens and boy does Mothership have them.

I really, really liked this book. And admittedly it had some faults, but it brightened
Tracey
Jul 27, 2012 Tracey rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, 2012
Chelsea
I was looking for something light-hearted and amusing when I decided to read this book. I’d just finished reading an intense dystopian and needed something to lighten my mood. I was a bit leery at first since “Mothership” is about a group of pregnant teenagers sent to live in a decommissioned space cruiser that’s been turned into a high school for expectant mothers. Despite my initial reservations, I decided to hold back all judgements until I actually read the book.

Well, I’m glad to announce “
Luis
Apr 07, 2016 Luis rated it liked it
This is total YA SF fluff, with a pregnancy twist. Set expectations appropriately, and you'll find it light and entertaining. (and yes, I only picked it up because of my current circumstances. And the cover.)
Stefanie
Jul 08, 2015 Stefanie rated it really liked it
3.5 cause the middle parts were a little boring and I don't mind swearing but there was a lot of it at times. The rest of it was hilarious and I loved all the sarcasm. Thanks for the recommendation Gabrielle. I've got to track down the others to see how it all ends.
Sara
Sometimes you just need a cross between Juno and Starship Troopers. This book somehow manages to be light and fluffy even though it kills off a ton of (inconsequential) characters, has TONS of action, and involves teen pregnancy. It's nice to read a book about teen pregnancy that isn't all doom and gloom and depressing.

There's nothing really WRONG with this book that brings it down from four stars -- it's just not really the kind of book I gravitate towards? I can think of tons of teens I'd giv
Naomi
Jan 02, 2014 Naomi rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, funny
When I first started Mothership the heavy use of slang and the outrageous plot gave me a little difficulty. It's weird and silly and the whole teen pregnancy/alien invasion idea was hard to take without raising an eyebrow. I eventually just let myself see this as a goofy read and I found myself actually liking the main character as she lugged her pregnant self around, fighting off aliens and being a smart ass.
Belle
Dec 13, 2015 Belle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've known about Mothership ever since it released a couple years ago and always found myself wanting to read it because it sounded SO ridiculous.

This is a pretty fun book. Elvie is an awesome main character who kicks ass and doesn't let anyone get in her way. She realizes she got herself into this pregnancy situation and handles is quite well. Especially when her dad (who is also awesome) wants to send her to this space teen pregnancy school. She also has an awesome best friend, Ducky, back dow
  • Losers in Space
  • Hunter (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy #7)
  • Tune: Vanishing Point (Tune, #1)
  • Doctor Who Omnibus Volume 1
  • Inside (Insider, #1-2)
  • The Secret Cellar (The Red Blazer Girls, #4)
  • Cat Girl's Day Off
  • Purity
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • Give Me Your Heart: Tales of Mystery and Suspense
  • Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)
  • The Never Weres
  • Mangaman
  • The Dark Side of Nowhere
  • Scorch (Croak, #2)
  • The Osiris Curse (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #2)
  • The Carny
  • Brain Camp
Martin Leicht currently lives in New York City, a fantastic city to be sure, although his heart will always be in Philadelphia, where they properly refer to it as “water ice”. A master’s graduate from the Goldberg Department of Dramatic Writing at NYU, Martin decided at the ripe old age of three that he wanted to spend the rest of his life spinning stories, much to the chagrin of his late grandfat ...more
More about Martin Leicht...

Ever-Expanding Universe (3 books)
  • A Stranger Thing (Ever-Expanding Universe, #2)
  • The World Forgot (Ever-Expanding Universe, #3)

“Stop kicking me! I do not want to pee right now!” 9 likes
“It's all right, dearheart," Dad assures me. "Folder three, scenario four: going into labor during a high-speed chase with extra-terrestrials.” 8 likes