Start by marking “Brave New Pond” as Want to Read:
Brave New Pond

Brave New Pond (Squish #2)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  2,199 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Squish, a meek amoeba who loves the comi book exploits of his favorite hero, "Super Amoeba," tries to emulate him when his best friend is threatened by a bully.
Published September 27th 2011 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Brave New Pond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave New Pond

Katia
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is called Brave New Pond by Jennifer L. Holm. This book is about this character who talks about his life in cartoons. It the first day of school he has a whole list of things he wants to do on that school year. One of the things that was on the list was two hang out with the abiva brothers and he did the abiva brother were very popular but he hanged out with them. I like this book because this book is funny like when the super hero thought there was danger but it was his food burning. ...more
Treasa
Tannia
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the title of this book is "brave new pond" by jennifer L. holm. this book was about how this boy named squish wanted to be cool at the first day of school. so he did but they tried to get squish to be mean to his old friends. instead he left them and went back with his old friends and knew that he was right. I give this book 3 stars because it was good but not that good.
Paul  Hankins
Loved Squish and will have more to say later, but having not learned my lesson with Goodreads earlier in the year, the site "ate" my review a moment ago. I want to get back to reading tonight, but don't miss the SQUISH series for your boy readers!
Angel Alaguna
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book because it shows how a group of kids stand up to a group of popular bullies
Juan Rodriguez
it was a lame book because it was about talking germs.
C Harpin
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Cute graphic novel about a bunch of protozoan buddies. Need to order this series!
Daniel Peet
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was like sort of good
Micah Alleyne
Brave New Pond by Jennifer L. Holm

Squish starts a new year and hangs out with the cool kids but there tempting him to stay away from his friends. I like this book because it has life decisions like who should you choose as a friend. I think my little brother would like it because he likes comics and Squish.
Laurie
Dolly
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is the second book in the Squish series by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm. Our youngest ripped through the Babymouse series in no time and while we're waiting for the next book in that series, she decided she wanted to try out this one.

I may just be a boring old middle-aged lady, but I think that the story in this book isn't nearly as compelling or charming as the Babymouse stories. In fact, the characters are pretty irritating and flat. But our youngest really liked them, and she's eage
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 3 stars
Art: 4 stars

In this second installment of the Squish series, Squish decides he wants to be cool, so he ditches his old friends and starts to hang out with The Algae Brothers instead. When things don't turn out as expected, Squish makes the right decision and sticks up for his old friend. This is the second book in the series, and the second time that the bully (different characters in each book) has been annihilated; I don't think that death is the answer to bullying.

Another graphi
Becky B
Squish is starting a new year at school. He's trying to grasp the opportunity for a new start. He wants to reestablish himself as cool and even manages to make friends with some of the cool kids. But after a few days, the cool kids start asking Squish to be mean to his old friends and do other things he wouldn't usually do. Squish isn't sure what to do until he thinks what his comic book hero Super Amoeba would do. (Some sections of the book are glimpses into Squish's reading of the Super Amoeba ...more
Barbara
I don't know how they got the idea for a graphic novel series about an amoeba named Squish and his adventures at school, but Jennifer and Matthew Holm put their considerable talents together to create a fun-filled but issue-driven story here. Squish sets off for school--the pond--with his friend Pod, but he tells himself that this year is going to be different. There are all sorts of interesting characters here: Peggy the Paramecium who seems to have a crush on Squish, the athletic Algae Brother ...more
Shannon
Squish: A Brave New Pond is the second book in this new series by beloved Babymouse authors Jennifer and Matthew Holm. Squish is an amoeba… That’s right a green blob. It is the beginning of a new school year and Squish comes up with a list to help make a fresh start. 1-No trading food with Pod (Pod is Squish’s best friend, also an amoeba.) 2-No detention. 3- Do not let Peggy (friend, a paramecium… a different shaped blob with fur) embarrass me. 4-Get picked for kickball at recess. 5-Sit with the ...more
Maggie Sideris
Title: Squish: Brave New Pond
Grade Level: 2ND- 6th grade
Summary: This story is about an amoeba named Squish and his adventures during the school year. It starts off by him heading to his first day of school, where his school is the pond, and there are these bullies the Algae Brothers. The gist of the story is that Squish is afraid of the Algae Brothers, and then in the end finds the courage to stand up to them.
Review: This book was very interesting. I thought it was neat the way that the author
Pinky
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-11
Second book in the Babymouse spin-off Squish series. Squish is growing on me - he is an amoeba middle schooler obsessed with comic books and fitting in. His way of dealing with peer pressure and right and wrong are, like Babymouse, admirable in the end. Love, love, love his paramecium friend Peggy and her sunny world of unicorns and rainbows. His amoeba friend Pod is wearing a little thin. Yes, he's brilliant and trying to save the world from global warming, but he's not a very good friend.

As wi
Samantha
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s the start of a new school year and Squish is determined to accomplish a few goals such as sitting with cool kids at lunch. He drops his friends in favor of the Algae Brothers and second guesses himself when they encourage him to embarrass his former best friend, Pod. Squish’s story is paralleled with that of his favorite comic book hero Super Amoeba who joins a crime-fighting squad known as the Protozoans. Both characters struggle with the expectations of their new friends, but in the end d ...more
Kaethe
Natasha loves Squish almost as much as Babymouse: Queen of the World!, which is hardly surprising since it's the same brother-sister team. I quite like Squish, and the travails of school life, and I love his favorite comic. But Squish feels a little thinner. It doesn't yet have the broad cast of Babymouse, and with only one comic to fantasize about, versus Babymouse's copious library of literary allusions, it feels a little younger and simpler. In fact, I'd suggest starting a younger or more rel ...more
Robert Beveridge
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Jennifer L. Holm, Squish, vol. 2: Brave New Pond (Random House, 2011)

I was a pretty big fan of Super Amoeba!, the first Squish book, so it was a foregone conclusion I'd be picking up vol. 2. Unfortunately, life got in the way, and it took me over a year after its release to get around to it. This one is almost as much fun as the first, though the Holms decided to go a little lighter on the science in this volume (I thought that to its detriment, your mileage may vary) and spend a little more tim
Elissa Schaeffer
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More good graphic novel stuff from Jennifer Holm--I expect nothing less! Squish is by far less "girly" than Babymouse but it's great for everybody. It's fun and funny and Squish himself is a likeable amoeba.

That fact that the main character is a middle school aged amoeba is fun enough, but all the adventures he has makes it all the more fun and relateable. He endures peer pressure, the lure of popularity, staying true to himself, and learning what is his own "right and wrong." And his friend Peg
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great graphic novel for elementary school kids! Squish, an earnest and charming little amoeba, and his friends are funny and seem *almost* like kids with normal every day problems. The Algae brothers are the "coolest microorganisms in the pond" and Squish will do anything to be cool too. The plot is a bit predictable but that's part of what makes is such a great read for kids. Totally recommended for elementary school collections.

ARC Provided by... the publisher at ALA 2011 Annual Confer
Gphatty
This is even stronger than the first book, as the exposition is cut down drastically, and the comic story in the book mimics the emotional arc of Squish on his first day of school. (He tries to improve himself, and the super hero in the comic joins a new band of heroes.) I'm not sure that children needed complimentary narratives in their books, but this works really well, without being heavy-handed or forced. Great comic -- and the art got better, too. (Maybe just including more "green" small-ce ...more
Susan Menk
Tags: graphic novel, sequel, super heroes, bullying, bravery, self-confidence, parallel story lines, cliques,

Squish is an amoeba who is heading back to school and wants to be part of the "cool" group this year. He learns that being himself and standing up for his friends is more important than being cool. The parallel story is of the super hero "Super Amoeba" and his struggles to do what is right for his friends and not just the things that will bring him attention and make him famous.

Holm, Jenn
Cheiree Domet
This story is easy to follow. There are green pages when Squish is in reality and black and white when he is daydreaming. I think students will be able to focus on this book easily. 2. I would use this book to teach a lesson on bullying and friendship. Readers in grades 1-3 can read this book. Readers who like superheroes and graphic novels will like this book. 3. This book has large pictures and wording is easy enough for younger readers.
Rachel Willis
Ever searching for books to interest my eight and seven year old boys, I ordered this book on a whim. It has been a big hit with my eight year old, I've even caught him reading it when he could be watching television. I haven't read the book myself but anything that will keep my kid interested and buried in a story gets five stars from me! In addition, it has sparked an intensive research session which is super cool in and of itself.
Christiane
Further adventures of amoeba Squish. It's a new school year and Squish is determined that this year is going to be better and cooler, even if that does mean he has to abandon his less-than-cool best friends. Squish's story is told alternately with the Super Amoeba comic he is reading, which sometime is the funnier story. Great fun for young comic book fans and a nice message about the dangers of trying too hard to fit in.
Heather
-New school year, Squish wants to become a new and improved Squish
-Algae Brothers (cool guys in school)
-Super Amoeba joins Protozoans
-graphic novel in two sections (kind of): Squish's real life in color, punctuated with Super Amoeba in black and white
-Super Amoeba story reflects back to Squish's struggle to be himself and do what is right at school
Brianna
The "less-girly" equivalent of Babymouse. Has very similar story line and formatting, and comparable charm. I can see how this and Babymouse could be super addictive for kid readers. I would have wanted to whole collection from my Scholastic book order!

Seriously, is there anything Jennifer L. Holm cannot do? She's my children's literary hero.

Simon Wojtaszek
"I wish there were 105 of these books!" you told me. Thank goodness there are 6, at least! We are loving this series, and last night was intense, wondering if Squish was really going to spill hot cheese on his best friend just to impress the cool Algae Brothers or not! Can't wait to read number 3!
  • Lunch Lady and the Field Trip Fiasco (Lunch Lady, #6)
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Evil Penguin Plan
  • Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest (Sticky Burr #1)
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Bird & Squirrel on the Run
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • The Boy Who Crashed to Earth (HiLo #1)
  • Around the World
  • And Then There Were Gnomes
  • Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • The Battling Bands (Knights of the Lunch Table, #3)
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra
More about Jennifer L. Holm...

Squish (8 books)
  • Super Amoeba (Squish, #1)
  • The Power of the Parasite (Squish, #3)
  • Captain Disaster (Squish, #4)
  • Game On! (Squish, #5)
  • Fear the Amoeba (Squish, #6)
  • Deadly Disease of Doom (Squish, 7)
  • Pod vs. Pod (Squish, #8)