Start by marking “How Gods Bleed” as Want to Read:

How Gods Bleed

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews

ebook, 1st Edition
Published November 1st 2011 by Shane Porteous

To ask other readers questions about How Gods Bleed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Gods Bleed

Midu Hadi
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people looking for something different
Rick F.
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"The werewolf king Gorgoza is dead leaving the west in turmoil. With the king’s passing it is only a matter of time before someone has claimed the western empire for themselves, leaving the east ripe for invasion. Against the werewolf hordes no eastern kingdom stands a chance for survival.

But all hope is not yet lost for there may be a way to destroy the monsters of the west. Such a chance comes from the most unlikely of sources, Cada Varl the Immortal, the being responsible for the creation of
Nick Gono
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
have only recently started to embrace ebooks and ereaders, to be honest a lot of the stuff I have read recently has been garbage. With that said I am very happy that I gave this book a chance, because it is brilliant. I can’t really find the right way to describe this story. Imagine if Akira Toriyama writer of Dragon Ball Z and Kentaro Miura writer of Berserk got together and decided to write a novel about werewolves. That’s the closest I can come to describing this properly and even that doesn’ ...more
Jeff Shanley
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"How Gods Bleed" is a testament to the unlimited potential of werewolves in fantasy literature. Shane Porteous's use of imagery and detail makes this free ebook well worth the read, and captivates the reader every time the page is turned. Cada Varl is a compelling protagonist; vague, dark, brooding and very well written.

While I might nitpick at some grammatical errors, I have very few complaints for "HGB" and truly enjoyed reading this book. I intend to write a more thorough review but for now
Mario Ebbwa
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I don't even know how to describe this book. It is incredibly original and very well written. I went into this expecting a more typical fantasy story but with werewolves. But I am very glad to say this is anything but conventional. From the very first word I was greatly intrigued by the story. The pace really hits the ground running and kept me guessing the entire time. Definitely a memorable read, check this out if you are looking for something different.
Lee Hiure
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In this day and age it seems almost everyone is writing a story about either vampires or werewolves. This explosion of authors can generally be placed into one of two groups. The twilight influenced writer who portrays werewolves as handsome but misunderstood things. The other group seems hell bent on returning the werewolf to the feared monster of the night that tradition dictates. Either way just about all werewolf stories today fall into one of these moulds. How Gods Bleed however not only st ...more
C.V. Hunt
First off, I will not give this any star rating, because I didn’t finish it. I gave How Gods Bleed plenty of time to catch my attention and draw me in, and gave up after reading 66% of it on my Kindle.

I jumped at the chance to read this after seeing the word werewolf, but quickly found out that it was more of a Lord Of The Rings/Fantasy/Exploring/Adventure and not the Horror/Blood/Guts/Terror that I usually read. I gave it a chance anyway, knowing that I didn’t like The Lord Of The Rings books,
Karly Lizobe
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have never read anything like this. How Gods Bleed easily could be considered the most original werewolf story ever told. It’s completely crazy but in the best possible way. The story is bold and ambitious and Shane Porteous has definitely earned my respect for telling such a unique story. This isn’t thinking outside of the box, it is dousing the box in petrol and setting it on fire.

How Gods Bleed is the very embodiment of what a great independent release should be. It ignores the boundaries
Ben Tammu
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this novel, it was such a unique story and so well written and executed. The only other novel I can think of that has a similar story is Mathion: Book One of the Mavonduri Trilogy. But where Mathion is a very traditional story with a new twist, How Gods Bleed is the very epitome of the brilliance that can be achieved when a writer thinks outside of the box.

While the mythology of How Gods Bleed is some of the best that I have ever read or heard of it is far more driven by its
Kim Staffus
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and people have a right to disagree with that opinion. A number of these reviews rather quite annoy me and to be honest I seriously question if several of them have actually read How Gods Bleed in full. To call How Gods Bleed a “Lord of the Rings” styled story is like comparing Rihanna with Ozzy Osbourne, they’re both singers. In the same vain Lord of the Rings and How Gods Bleed are both fantasy stories, that’s where the similarities stop.

How Gods Bleed is
Daniel Rutger
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Over the last several years readers have been confronted with countless new ebooks. 99 percent of which are little more than generic stories or blatant knock-offs of popular paperbacks. But once in a blue moon a story comes along that is completely different, something that can honestly be called original, How Gods Bleed is just such a book. To describe this book as anything but unique would be a terrible lie. It takes werewolves to a place that they have never been taken to. Very few, if any au ...more
Matthew Smithon
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I got myself a copy of this, because I wanted to read something similar to Mathion. With that said I was a little worried this would be a knock off after reading the introduction. However I am very happy to say that the two books couldn’t be more different. Yes they have a similar premise but the difference in their execution is like fire and ice.

How Gods Bleed is like no other werewolf story I have read, honestly I cannot think of one remotely like this. It definitely isn’t a paranormal romanc
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Thousands of years after Cada Varl unwittingly sired the vicious werewolves and became an immortal he believes he has found a way to destroy them all. The way is dangerous, so he travels into the heart of werewolf territory with six of the finest warriors from the country of Helluv and hopes he can carry out his plan before the werewolves figure out what he is doing.

First, the concept of this story is sound and I liked it. It is what I refer to as a ‘Lord of the Rings’-type story where someone o
Travis Ludvigson
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This has to be the most original werewolf story that I have read. Shane Porteous has taken this creature of myth and made it into something much greater. Porteous brilliantly imagined the werewolves boosting their already formidable strength and speed with unique weapons and armor previously unseen in literature. Additionally, the introduction of Aneeku and his ilk provide another exciting twist to the idea of the traditional werewolf.

The history of his world was fantastic, and the Helluvan warr
Huw Evans
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My first foray into lycanthropy has been intriguing. An Immortal and six escorts are sent into the West to investigate the death of the Werewolf king and his usurpation and the Immortal wishes to give his life to reverse the devastation he has unwittingly released on the world. The plot is fascinating, fantastic in the best possible way and the description of the territory and the action scenes is dense and prolonged. The lead characters are sufficiently taciturn to reveal little about themselve ...more
Sam
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is an original and unique werewolf story that follows Cada Varl and six Helluvian warriors as they trek into the depths of the Werewolf kingdom to destroy the Werewolf race once and for all. It is an entertaining and original read but I found the story got a little lost in the rather over the top epic battles that constantly cropped up. The mythology and worlds that Porteous has created are superb in themselves and the characters are really well written with the balance between their warrio ...more
John Woss
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books that I have ever read and is perhaps the only one that left me speechless after I had finished reading it. How Gods Bleed not only accomplishes many many things, it does so with remarkable ease. Dare I say that this may be the most original werewolf story ever written, the sheer fact an author was able to accomplish an original werewolf story is worth tremendous praise. But there is far more to love in this novel than sheer originality. From page one I excited and a ...more
Jeff Redric
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a super interesting story that I loved reading. There's a lot to like here such as the mythology, characters, twists and action scenes. How Gods Bleed is difficult to place into a specific genre. It is fantasy, it is horror, it is action and it is thriller but none of these lables seems to quite fit. Nor do any of them quite do this book justice.

This book probably isn't for everybody, because it doesn't follow any genre formula. But I really liked the fact that the author Shane Porteous
Rebecca Penrose
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally write reviews because I am not very good at it, but this book was mind-blowing. It is extremely original and I was pulled into the story as soon as I read the introduction. The mythology, characters, battles and twists are awesome in every way. But the biggest praise I can give this book is that the author has managed to write an action-packed book while still having compelling characters and a complex plot. In a word "amazing"
Julie
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely enjoyed reading this book! Loved the new take on how werewolves were created. It didn't have much dialogue but I easily loved the Helluvian warriors and the immortal. I found myself cheering for them with each battle they fought; Porteous even managed to shock me a few times throughout the book. It did have a few convention problems but not enough to distract. Awesome tale!
David Bellspoon
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What’s this, an actual original werewolf story? By the gods can such a thing be true?
The answer is “Oh Hell Yeah!”

How Gods Bleed is a fast paced, deep level action story with elements of both Horror and Fantasy. With a tremendously unique plot, superb mythology, highly entertaining characters and battles/duels that are the very epitome of epic.

In a word "awesome"
Jessica Kulo
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This ebook may be free but it was one of the best ebooks that I have ever read. I just wanted to mention that because others have written better reviews than I could to capture just how great of a story this is.
Niquey Jacobsen
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Adore this story. Have read and reread it many many times.
Richard Temmel
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Simply put this story is MIND BLOWING in the best posssible way. I loved it and will read it many many more times!
Aaron Smith
Fawkess
Sep 28, 2012
Sarah Ullsen
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A truly original werewolf story, very unique and supberly written!
The Perks Of Bein...: FREE FULL LENGTH EBOOK! 3 121 Mar 03, 2013 04:41PM
Werewolves and ot...: FREE EBOOK! 2 15 Mar 06, 2012 07:01PM
Book Bloggers of ...: FREE EBOOK! 1 10 Feb 25, 2012 09:46PM
BookSpark: FREE EBOOK! 1 12 Jan 29, 2012 08:26PM
Bizarro Fiction: FREE EBOOK! 3 52 Jan 29, 2012 09:51AM
Authors Lounge: Should you leave well enough alone? 9 34 Jan 27, 2012 09:13AM
  • Raiders of the Dry Coast
  • Thicker Than Water (Blood Brothers, #1)
  • The Extinct
  • The Call From Within (Dearhart Clan, #1)
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • King of Paine
  • Haunting Grace (Beyond Time, #1)
  • The Omega Point
  • Mojo Queen (Roxie Mathis, #1)
  • Barely Human
  • Walking in the Shadows
  • The Day of First Sun (Annie Loves Cham, #1)
  • Midnight Surrender
  • Shifters Series Box Set (Shifters, #1-6)
  • Daybreak (Dark Age Dawning, #3)
  • Rex Rising (Elei's Chronicles, #1)
  • Determinant (The Guardians of Vesturon, #3)
  • Chasing the Dead
Ever since I was old enough to retain memory I have wanted to be an author. I must have written at least 100 original stories as well as alot of fan fiction.

I cannot remember the very first story I wrote because I would have written it years before I could properly spell more than ten words. But the two earliest stories I can remember writing are "Blood got on Big Boss" and "Mad Lab".

Blood got o
More about Shane Porteous...