Start by marking “Wave of Mutilation” as Want to Read:
Wave of Mutilation

Wave of Mutilation

A dream-pop exploration of modern architecture and the American identity, Wave of Mutilation is a Zen finger trap for the 21st century. It is the eve of the 2001 presidential election. Christian and his wife have traveled back to Tennessee to attend his father's funeral. When Christian picks up the phone attached to an atom bomb exhibit at the American Museum of Science ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Fantastic Planet Books (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wave of Mutilation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wave of Mutilation

Start your review of Wave of Mutilation
Vanessa Wu
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This seems to be a very good time for science fiction. I was prompted to explore some of it partly on the strength of this novella, which hit me like a blow between the eyes and left me breathless and dizzy for a few days.

The writing is very smooth and controlled. I love clean, precise writing like this, especially when it involves a swimming pool and the promise of sensuality. This drew me in and took me swiftly to the end of the first chapter, where I received my first shock.

I won't tell you
Jeremy Maddux
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
What draws me in about Douglas Lain's work is that he always comes from a place I cannot relate to, at all. I'm sure it has everything to do with the fact that he is particularly well learned in philosophy, and a devout Marxist. Again, I have no qualms with this, but I just can't identify with it on a personal level. This difference has never prevented me from enjoying his weekly Diet Soap podcasts, where he discusses social and political topics with guests as far removed from the ...more
C. Varn
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A strange book that seems to be about the literalIzation of ideology.
Lynette Aspey
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Douglas' Lain's small book is beautifully written. It draws you in and then wraps you up in surreal and twisty imagery that is at once recognizable and indefinable.

Strains of melancholy, love, paranoia and confusion thread through this unusual and challenging story that, to my mind, plays on the observation (here I'm referring back to Michael Moore in '02) that "we live in fictional times".

Lain will lure you into a reflection on the design origins of pool-side furniture, advertising, American
Paul
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wave of Mutilation is a surreal story that seems like a nightmare--mysterious to the protagonist, enjoyable and intriguing for the reader, but certainly not predictable or controlled. Commonly shared illusions no longer hold, politics and then other parts of life begin to seem absurd, attempts to pin down reality and one's identity become increasingly difficult or nonsensical, one feels broken and empty, the story of Life seems less real and more imagined. The protagonist's situation seems ...more
Christopher
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 4-0-plus
This starts out as a deadpan ironic slipstream story, but it gradually veers into Aragonesque automatic writing. The surrealism is brain-cleansing for a while, awakening you to the potential strangeness that lurks behind every phone call, airline ticketing counter, or suburban home, but it wears thin over time. Fortunately, toward the end, the story turns into a nice, simple lesson in the literary criticism of self-referential works.

Overall, it's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours, even
Jay Daze
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, sf, ebook
Okay, let me think about that one. Captures the mood of the time.
Lori
from publisher
Ester
Mar 12, 2015
Douglas Lain
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Parker