Start by marking “The Avengers and Philosophy: Earth's Mightiest Thinkers” as Want to Read:
The Avengers and Philosophy: Earth's Mightiest Thinkers

The Avengers and Philosophy: Earth's Mightiest Thinkers (Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture #31)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
An engaging look at the philosophical underpinnings of Earth's Mightiest HeroesAvengers assemble! Tackling intriguing dilemmas and issues that no single great philosopher can withstand, this powerful book enlists the brainpower of an A-list team of history's most prominent thinkers to explore the themes behind the action of Marvel Comics' all-star superhero team.Arms you w ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Avengers and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Avengers and Philosophy

Ricardo Lane
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I always enjoyed the college classes where the professor was easy going and cool enough to entertain side discussions about how his field could be applied to more mundane interests. Not only did those discussions break up the monotony of daily lectures, they often helped build a more solid understanding of the subject because you could see how the theories really worked. This book reminds me a lot of those types of off-topic, yet fascinating, talks.

The book is a collection of essays applying ph
Sarospice
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like the Avengers and I like philosophy and I like most of this interesting read, but some themes were redundantly examined and every contributor had a big boner for Hawkeye. THERE ARE OTHER CHARACTERS! At least they stopped before Brian Michael Penis. Everyone is NOT an Avenger, and this book examines some themes why not.
Pedro
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Esta colección de ensayos filosóficos exploran distintos temas de manera muy reflexiva, pero en mi opinión con una endeble estructura que hace que el libro se sienta como poco cohesionado. Por ejemplo, en mi opinión, hay demasiados ensayos explorando las distintas implicaciones éticas de Hawkeye como miembro de los Avengers, dado que antes de serlo fue un criminal; o sobre Norman Osbourne como director de SHIELD y jefe de los Dark Avengers. Sien embargo, hay varios ensayos rescatables, como el q ...more
Joseph Santiago
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was great! Not only did it compare many areas of philosophy to events that characters did it illustrated the consequences of those events through the stories. This made a somewhat dry topic to be so much more approachable and fun. I read this for fun and enjoyed the selection chosen for philosophers as well as the matching done to create an extension of the Marvel universe through learning about these concepts. I love comics and this made the book a easy choice for me but I highly reco ...more
Mike Vardy
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
I didn't "not" enjoy this book, but it felt like a lot of empty calories.

Sure, I learned some new things and found some connections between superhero mythos and philosophy but it wasn't something that I thought was groundbreaking in any way. I think I was just looking for more out of this book that I got.

If you enjoy superheroes and you are a student of philosophy then I still encourage you to give this a read. It wasn't bad but it didn't resonate with me as much as I thought it would.
Barry Simiana
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Sorry, this one was a DNF. Look if spending a lot of time reading reasons why Marvel superheroes are the philosophers of our age, then this is the book for you. I read mostly for entertainment and relaxation, so a little deep and taxing for me. It's well thought out and written as essays and articles, but not my bag. Maybe when I have more time I'll come back to it.
Ellie  Dynek
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I've just started my junior year of college, and with all the super-hero movies coming out, I found that this was a really interesting book to check out. The various themes about Captain America, Hawkeye and Ant Man definitely provided some enlightenment about some of the biggest names in the Marvel universe. I would definitely recommend this book to any and all superhero fans :)
Alejo
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, pop-culture
Take the action out of an action oriented work and what do you get? Chapters 10 to 12 are worth a reading though, and the She Hulk chapter has to be read parallel to the Deadpool one in the X-men book
Sherrie Pilkington
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was foisted upon me by Mr. Larry Phares...and he was totally right. It's a fascinating read. Each chapter deals with a different aspect of philosophy (and the Avengers) and some are better than others, but over all it was a fun read. Excuse me while I go read 50 comic books now.
Amazingsomeone
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Marvelous.
Ellen
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent way to explore philosophy
Tim
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read. I wasn't careful enough though and ended up learning a lot.
Beholderess
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiiction
I am not going to pretend that this is a "serious" philosophy, but nevertheless it is an extremely entertaining read for someone both geeky and nerdy
Sherif Fahmy
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I read it after reading "superheros and philosophy" and it was very enjoyable. As a fan of both Marvel Comics and philosophy, this book scored a home run with me.
Starfire
A fun "good to while away a plane journey" read that got me thinking (which is ideal for a philosophy book)
Carina
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a really interesting read. I love that it taught me quite a bit about the Avengers universe, all the while educating me about the philosophy behind the characters. Awesome.
Jeff Sitko
May 28, 2012
Hina
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Pop culture and philosophy books are some of my favorite. As the editions have expanded, the quality has suffered. This was another causality. The book makes some valid attempts to pull ideas in and meld them with the various concepts of philosophy. At times, I checked out mentally while reading because the argument didn’t make sense or I’d already heard it many times before, in the same book. I often wonder if the book is ever edited. The more of these books I read, the more grammatical errors ...more
Scott
May 22, 2017
Sean Hale
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • Dexter and Philosophy: Mind over Spatter
  • Lost and Philosophy: The Island Has Its Reasons
  • Superheroes and Philosophy: Truth, Justice, and the Socratic Way
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk
  • The Hunger Games and Philosophy: A Critique of Pure Treason
  • Supervillains and Philosophy: Sometimes, Evil is its Own Reward
  • Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!)
  • Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You Can Possibly Imagine
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems
  • Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords
  • The Purloined Poe: Lacan, Derrida, and Psychoanalytic Reading
  • The Hobbit and Philosophy: For When You've Lost Your Dwarves, Your Wizard, and Your Way
  • The Philosophy of the X-Files

Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • South Park and Philosophy: You Know, I Learned Something Today