Start by marking “Me Since You” as Want to Read:
Me Since You

Me Since You

Laura Wiess captures the visceral emotion of a girl's journey from innocence to devastating loss and, ultimately, to a strange and unexpected kind of understanding--in this beautiful and painfully honest new novel.

Are there any answers when someone you love makes a tragic choice?

Before and After. That's how Rowan Areno sees her life now. Before: she was a normal sixteen-ye
Published February 18th 2014 by MTV Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Me Since You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me Since You

Giselle
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
A sad but moving novel; Me Since You is a difficult, yet eye opening journey into the deep, dark abyss of grief.

It doesn't start out as an emotional train wreck, though, which is something I really appreciated. We get introduced to Rowan as a normal teenager. We see her living a normal life, with the angst and risk that come with teenage antics. There's also some romance involved that's refreshingly cute and full of the new-relationship happiness and hope. The tragedy itself only occurs past a
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Sobbing.

Sobbing.

2 hours later.

Eating chocolate that Eileen sent via the internet.

Thinks of Me Since You.

Starts sobbing again.

---------

Well that sucked. Not the book, but the fact that I had to hold in all my tears as I read this book on the train and at the state library. Trust me people; there were a lot of tears wanting to fall. Right now, I just want to sit in a hole with my chocolate and ice-cream and blanket and hide there for eternity. Is that allowed?
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-2014
Rowan is a normal teenager. A little rebellious. A little bit overtaken by her dominant BFF. She loves her family and worries about saving money for a car, what clothes to wear, and how people at school see her. All that changes the morning that a man decides to kill himself and his baby boy. Rowan's dad was the responding officer that morning, and while he's dealt with his share of tough situations over the years, the backlash that comes from the media and public because of this incident pushes ...more
Ashley
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, e-arc, favourites
Me Since You is hands down the most powerful and emotional book I have ever read. This book ripped me to emotional shreds. I have never cried so much over one book in my entire life.

If you don't like sad books, turn away now. Me Since You is not just sad—it's devastating. The genuine loss and hopelessness that drips from the words in this book will cripple you a thousand times over. I read this book in increments, and each time I picked up the book again, the tears immediately started up again
Keertana
Jasprit
“I will never understand how life can rip your heart
out with one hand and then give you a small,
warm piece of it back with the other?
How can something so good come from something
so terrible?”

Sometimes trying a new book by an author that you’ve never tried before can be daunting. But by just reading the first few pages of Me Since You, I knew I would love this book and would read anything written by Wiess right away. Wiess captured the grief that Rowan and her family had to go through really well
AH
Initial Thoughts: About a 3 or 3.5 star read for me. This was a difficult read for me. It was outside my usual genre and it dealt with depression, suicide, and death, along with the aftermath for the surviving family members. It's sad. It will make you cry. It's hard to read, just because of the emotions.

The Review:

Christal and I read this book as part of the Jumble Your Genres Challenge from Lovin' los Libros. You can read our thoughts on Me Since You at Badass Book Reviews.

Me Since You is
Kels
"Can a person actually die of sadness? How about of a broken heart?"

Big sigh. I was not prepared for the emotional turmoil that this book inflicted on me. Goodness. It was such a stressing and emotional read, from the very opening chapters at that. I just... *stuffs mouth with ice cream*

Laura Weiss has an effortless beauty in her writing that is mesmerizing. It keeps you flipping pages, even while your heart is breaking. I fell in love with her prose, which encompassed and depicted Rowan's, th
Debbie Narh
good

3.5 Stars

Me Since You is a story about grief and regret. It's a story that will hopefully draw a few tears, if not buckets full. It will leave you tired and drained but in a good way. Hopefully you'll be able to connect to this piece of art just like I had. It's such an emotional roller coaster that has a few dips and stops but is great.

Unfortunately, this novel has a hard time being realistic at moments. The times when Rowan needs Eli the most, he's miraculously there. No one goes to prom with
Claire Robinson
2.5 Stars.

Me Since You reminds me of a very long Winter, or a cloudy day, You wait and wait for the sun to shine through, and the Spring to rear it's head, but ultimately it stays cloudy, and hey it's January so suck it up Winter is going to be around for a long while yet.

Well written, developed story. Can't say I was that enamoured with Rowan, she seemed to take everything so personally, or somehow twist it up so much she managed to make it her fault.

If you are looking for some out and out angs
Alex
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5 stelline!
Questo libro si é rivelato tutto, fuorché quello che mi sarei aspettata.
Lento, triste ed angosciante oltre ogni possibile immaginazione...
Non fraintendetemi, pretendo che una lettura mi faccia vivere emozioni intense e contrastanti, ma questo libro é un funerale continuo!
Una girandola di emozioni soffocanti, che molto spesso diventavano "pesanti"da leggere.
Pagine e pagine di dolore, sofferenza, rimorso, rimpianto e colpa, per non avere saputo prevedere l'inevitabile.
Rowan é una prot
Mar 24, 2013 marked it as not-for-me
Shelves: dnf
The older I get, the harder time I have with grief-filled books. Me Since You is beautifully written and emotionally evocative, but I couldn't keep reading it--there was just too much for me. If you want an ugly cry, an lovely writing, this is a good choice.

-------
Apropos of nothing, I really love the cover model's hair.
Tracey (Life and Literature)
"Grief..." She shakes her head. "You can't hide from it. There is no over, under or around it. No avoiding. It will stay until you make your way through it."

This book right here broke my heart. The subject matter is so intense. It is full of such raw honesty and heartbreak. I lived every single one of the emotions as they were experienced throughout the story. I'm not even sure what I was expecting when I started reading this, but it definitely wasn't what I got. It was everything I could ha
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Me since this book

This is such a difficult book to rate! I really am having  a difficult time settling on a star rating. Normally I just rate on how enjoyable I found a book, but Me Since You was so thoroughly and heartbreakingly sad can I really say that I enjoyed myself reading it? Mmm, that might be a stretch...

So, if I can't do that, perhaps I should rate on writing quality? Well, actually, if we're going there, the present tense narrative and the unfathomable allergy to pronouns drove me
Tez
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I went into this novel expecting a story of a school shooting. What I got instead was something very different - and unexpectedly triggering. We're talking not being able to sleep because of crying until 4AM.

So my TRIGGER WARNINGS to you are also SPOILERS:

(view spoiler)

If you'd prefer something more specific:

(view spoiler)

You've been warned.
Molli Moran
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of THE best books I've ever read.

Hands down.

Gorgeous prose, real characters, and a respectful, honest dialogue about mental illness coupled with a profound look at grief and healing make this a stand-out novel that will linger with me for a long time to come.

(ALSO. Eli? SWOON.)
Tori
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Check out YA Book Queens for more reviews!

NOTE: I received this ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Before reading this book, I wanted to pick up a nice feel-good contemporary book with a love interest that would make me want to swoon. Imagine my surprise when I cried halfway through reading this book. That's right, guys. I cried during this book. The emotional roller coaster that this book put me through was something that I was not anticipating whatsoever.
eileen
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Check out more of my reviews at Singing and Reading in the Rain!

Me Since You, told from a sixteen-year-old girl named Rowan's point of view, is powerful and demands to be felt. What her perspective brings is to watch the destruction of a loved one. After her police officer father fails to save a man and a baby from committing suicide, he spirals into a depression, one that absolutely wrecks him and his family. Rowan's entire world was falling around her, as she tried to cope with the tragedy of
Michelle
Teens and tragedy appear to go hand-in-hand lately. It is unfortunate in a way because it makes the teen years much more difficult than they already are. Still, there is an attraction between the two that is difficult to ignore, if only because misery does love company. Besides, people find solace in another person’s pain – to some extent.

The most emotionally difficult scenes within the story are also the ones that emphasize Ms. Wiess’ mastery of the emotions within the story. Rowan’s, as well a
Mitchii
Rowan and I, you could say we were in the same situation (that's far as I can share). But we’re not on the same page as far as the grieving goes. I mean, every one of us deal with this kind of pain differently. And even though we had a common denominator I sort of felt detached to her. I guess it was too overwhelming to me and I wasn’t completely committed to her issues.

Rowan’s father is a police officer and one day, he failed to save the guy from committing suicide. And that’s where it all star
Maryellen
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
“Me Since You”, even the title makes you pause for a moment to think of all of the implications of that phrase. Most of us can relate. Most of us have had a person in our life whose absence or presence alters our whole self.

Rowan Areno’s Father Nicky is a highly respected and decorated Police Officer. He keeps a tight rein on Rowan because he has seen firsthand the dangers out there. If only he could protect Rowan. If only he could save everyone.

Rowan was just a normal sixteen year old girl bef
Chelsea Pitcher
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I've found a book like ME SINCE YOU, one that compelled me to carry it around with me everywhere I went, because I didn't want to stop reading it for a second. I gobbled it up in a manner of days. And it will resonate with me for a long time.

There is so much about this book to love. The writing is beautiful and engaging. The characters are relatable. The story is heart-breaking, yet addictive. It's rare to find a book that leads one through so many different emotions:
Emily Mead
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it

Review title: No, YOU cried your eyes out.

This was one of those “Lost-in-Mount-TBR” books.

You know the ones.

You buy them on a whim thinking OOH I saw a good review for this…I must have it! I’m pretty sure I bought it for the Book Outlet Boxing Day sale in 2014 or something.

Anyway this meant that I really didn’t expect to love it so much.

(Or cry so much. Seriously, guys, I was a mess)

Let me tell you that I read a LOT of contemporary YA. And this is one of the best treatments of mental illness
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
I wanted to read Me Since You because I have read Laura Wiess before and I liked her dark contemporary and writing style, so of course, I wanted to pick this up. Luckily it was available on Edelweiss and I was able to grab a copy.
Me Since You is a dark book, about a girl and boy connected by a crime and then their friendship and budding relationship deepens as they spend time together and as their pasts line up and they are able to offer understanding and a warm shoulder or hug at moments of
Lilysbookblog
I feel like a complete loner writing this review. I may be in the 1% of readers who aren’t head over heels in love with this book. I didn’t find myself crying or needing to call relatives to remind them how much they mean to me after reading this book. I, unforteuntly, felt no emotional connection with Me Since you. I tried, I really did but i never found myself invested in the story or any of the characters. And this sucks so much because I had specifically picked this book up thinking it woul ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon and Schuster and Edelweiss.)
16-year-old Rowan seems to always be getting in trouble for things, and even gets brought home by the police – something that her parents especially dislike considering that her father is also a police officer.
When her father is unable to stop a man from killing himself and his young son, he begins to suffer from depression though, and doesn’t seem like himself at all.
C
Angigames
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ho acquistato questo libro convinta di avere tra le mani un’altra, semplice storia YA, con i suoi giovani amori, i suoi piccoli difetti e una necessaria leggerezza. E invece no, invece questo è uno YA completamente diverso, molto più cupo, più ostico e più lento. Ma queste caratteristiche non hanno sminuito la trama, me l’hanno fatta amare, perché è bello che alcuni autori affrontino temi del genere.
Questa è la storia di Rowan, 16enne in piena crisi adolescenziale, che salta la scuola e ama le f
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
Sixteen-year-old Rowan Areno's life changes as she watches her father spiral deeper and deeper into depression. After failing to convince a man not to commit suicide with his newborn son, Rowan's dad, a police officer, blames himself. The depression hits, and after fighting a hard battle, her dad loses and commits suicide, leaving Rowan lost and disappointed. What's worse, he didn't even leave a note!

Me Since You is a book that I thoroughly enjoyed because of its uniqueness and how deeply I co
Deyse
Oct 25, 2014 marked it as dnf
This book was probably the hardest to put down because I started really liking it, since the start the relationship between Rowan and her father was touching and I really liked the friendship-possible-romance between her and Eli but this book hit a point where it was so depressing that it became painful to read it and I could only read in small doses - until I couldn't take anymore.

I think readers who like books about grief and depression will love this one since is extremely touching but be awa
Sara (sarabara081)
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very powerful story about grief and how it affects everyone differently. It brings up a lot of important issues like depression, the what-ifs in life, family, and what friendship is or should be. I was very emotional throughout the entire novel but I found it to be an important read that I'm thankful to have given a chance.
Contemporary YA: Me Since You 1 16 Mar 03, 2015 05:22AM
  • Heartbeat
  • The Summer I Found You
  • The Truth About You and Me
  • The Edge of Falling
  • Burning
  • Another Little Piece of My Heart
  • Don't Touch
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Positively Beautiful
  • In the Blood
  • Waiting for the Storm (Angel Island, #1)
  • Me, Him, Them, & It
  • Where You'll Find Me
  • Anthem for Jackson Dawes
  • The Accident
  • Torn Away
  • This Side of Salvation
  • Providence
Laura Wiess is the author of the critically acclaimed novels Such a Pretty Girl, chosen as one of the ALA’s 2008 Best Books for Young Adults and 2008 YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers, and Leftovers. Originally from Milltown, New Jersey, she traded bumper-to-bumper traffic, excellent pizza, and summer days down the shore for scenic roads, bears, no pizza delivery, and the irresistible allure ...more
“When someone threatens suicide, when they tell somebody they're going to do it beforehand they're reaching out, hoping someone will stop them. The problem is that people who aren't depressed don't always understand that and have a hard time believing it. To them, the idea of killing yourself to end pain is inconceivable. They think it's nothing but drama or a bid for attention and if they ignore it or reason with them, they'll come to their senses and life will go back to normal. [...] Most times it doesn't happen that way. The ones who don't tell anyone beforehand...They've already made their decision and planned it all out to make sure they succeed. We find them after the fact, when it's too late.” 9 likes
“But when I looked for good, evil came; and when I waited for light, darkness came. My lyre is turned to mourning, and my pipe to the voice of those who weep. (Job)” 6 likes