Start by marking “Don't Say a Word (Don't Cry, #2)” as Want to Read:
Don't Say a Word (Don't Cry, #2)

Don't Say a Word

(Don't Cry #2)

Cross Your Heart…

One by one, they will die. He has waited patiently, planning their final moments. Their tortured screams, their pleas for mercy—all will be in vain...

And Hope…

Homicide detective Julia Cass has witnessed plenty of crime scenes. But the murder of a Chattanooga judge is shocking in its brutality. Teamed with FBI agent Will Brannock, Julia delves into an inves
Published July 31st 2012 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Say a Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Say a Word

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I enjoyed this romantic suspense novel from Beverly Barton, who passed away not too long ago (may she rest in peace, leaving the literary world with many of her wonderful books as a legacy). The mystery was well done, and so was the developing relationship between Julia and Will. I'd recommend it to romantic suspense readers.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur in the August issue. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Cindy ~
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the last book we will ever get from Beverly may she RIP. I dont know if it was knowing that or what but this was a great book. This is the sequel to Don't Cry.

Homicide detective Julia Cass (J.D. sister) decides to move to Chattanooga to start a new life with the Homicide Division and be closer to her brother after losing her partner in the line of duty. JD has asked his partner FBI agent Will Brannock to pick her up at the airport. After seeing him send off his one night stand she doesn
Marj
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Great read! the story is about a serial killer called tongue slasher who murders people by hanging them and cutting their tongue. special agent will bannock and chatanooga police detective julia cass team up to investigate the murders and find killer.
I did feel that the pacing between victim one and two was slow (ran for half of the story). And there were too many scenes building the romance of will and julia that i think the writer was confused if she was writing a suspense thriller or a love s
Alex is The Romance Fox
I really wanted to like this book...I have really liked a lot of her previous ones and being the last book the author wrote before she died, I was actually looking forward to it.

But somehow, the story and the characters failed to ignite me.
There was such a lot of things going on that after a while I had to page back to check who was who and what was what.
Also felt the writing was a bit stilted...at times I felt it was someone else writing this book.

It's sad we won't get more books by this author
Carol
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Don’t Say A Word by Beverly Barton
4★'s
I could have done without the author making Will Brannock…an otherwise smart and good detective…such a conceited, “God’s gift to women” playboy. I have read everything that Beverly Barton wrote but this reads like it was written by someone else and her name put on it. I will overlook the inconsistencies in the writing style since I know that it was the last book that she wrote before she died. However as a result much of the character development was sadly l
Blender
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
The action is intense, a serial killer with a point to prove. The suspense held me all the way to the end, I totally did not see the killer being who it was. Loved the romance of Will & Julia.
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 stars

<>u>Thought and Plot

I sorta liked it...but once again I seem to be able to see through the misdirection the author was trying to create. She was screaming IT'S THAT GUY!!!! LOOK AT THAT GUY!!!!! IT's HIM!!!! I and went...$20 says it's that guy over there. I feel like it's that guy.

It was totally the guy I suspected.

Sigh...I just want a decently written romantic suspense/ romantic mystery that blindsides me with who the killer is. That too much to ask? Oh and some decent sex scen
Susan W
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Looking for another read, I stumbled upon this book. I never read one of hers before so I didnt know what to expect. Looking at the cover, it seemed to me that it was more all suspense and thriller type rather than a bit of drama and romance. Don’t judge a book by its cover. But, we do.

I found it a very easy read and was instantly into it rather than some that take a few chapters.

Our hero, Will Brannock is devilishly handsome and starts off with a romp with a flight attendant and gets a call
L.V. Jones
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again, I grab hold of a Beverly Barton book and can't put it down! I love the banter between the two detectives that are fighting their attraction for one another while trying to solve one of the most horrific serial murders Chattanooga has seen in a long while. I could not stop until I found out 'whodunit'. Action packed, just enough romance and intensity to keep you reading until the end!
Suze
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DON'T SAY A WORD

Very good suspense thriller, this book links with DON'T CRY, although they aren't marked as a series. They both involve the same people, JD, Zoe, Aubrey, Julia, Will and a few more. Nice romance, great plot.
Sheila Myers
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
I enjoyed this one even though it was more romance than suspense. Both of the main characters have great back-stories.
Christie
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to say this was a well written murder mystery with a touch of romance. At no point did I get bored while reading this and that shows great writing!
Roxie Gallinger
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Didn't guess who did it :(
Gene Steinbacher
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this one as much as Don't Cry but I would still recommend both. looks. Start with Don't Cry though.
Lynda
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really liked don’t cry,but I don’t think this one holds a candle to the first one
Daphne
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Don’t say a word, the 2nd series to Don’t cry; the story begins with the introduction of J.D. Cass sister, Julia Cass who is a homicide detective have decided to move to Chattanooga to be nearer to her family i.e. her brother, niece and her brother’s fiancé Audrey Sherrod. Julia’s brother was stuck in a trial and have asked Will Brannock, his partner to fetch Julia from the airport, this is where things were interesting, Will who has a no-strings-attached relationship with an air stewardess was ...more
Lucy Dosch
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
When Homicide Detective Julia Cass transferred to the Chattanooga Police Department to be near her big brother, FBI agent J.D. Cass, she didn’t realize that she would be grabbing her first case on the way home from the airport and that she would be teamed up with her brother’s partner, Will Brannock. The guy looked more like a GQ model than an FBI agent, but once they get to the scene of the grizzly homicide, Will is all business.

The killer is definitely trying to send a message cutting out the
Nani
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-2015
Unlike the last book I read, which was a new writer’s first book, this one is an established writer’s last work. Beverly Barton died in 2011.  Don’t Say A Word is the sequel to Don’t Cry, but having not read Don’t Cry, I can promise it’s holds its own as a stand alone book.

I knew going in that this was "suspense romance" or something like that, but I got the book as a freebie, or maybe a daily pick Nook deal so it wasn’t a great financial investment and I thought I'd give it a try. It wasn't too
D.M. Kilgore
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Highlights- the two main characters were likeable. Yes, I get it, Will is one good looking man. It's always fun reading about easily recognizable places right here in my own backyard. I always loved that Barton's books were set in this area. The addition of some doggie supporting characters was endearing. Overall, I just wasn't all that impressed. The book felt rushed. It seemed to have a great skeleton, but then it just kind of fizzled out. I figured out who the killer was by chapter 12. He was ...more
Melanie Chabrol-
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it was my first book from Beverly Barton.

Imagine Julia Cass decides to move back to Chattanooga to spend more time with her friends and family, who she dearly misses. Plus losing a partner whom she is still trying to get over from the police dept she figures a new start in a new town. WELL......
As soon as she lands in Chattanooga and is picked up by the hunk Will Brannock, things greatly change. As adorable and Catherine Zeta-JOnes she resembles they end up working a
Samantha Holly
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic edge of your seat suspense thriller! Although the ending was disappointing because it well ended so quick with no epilogue to explain what happens next and believe me, it needed something with all the details the author had put into the relationships of the characters. But, I found out the Author died before finishing the book and a secondary person had to complete the story. Perhaps this is why the ending is so abrupt? Either way, I loved it throughout, but I would have loved an epilo ...more
Emma
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Although its an enjoyable enough read, I found Don't Say A Word a little too predictable and far too clichéd. With characters names straight out of a 70s cop drama (Max Hazard, really?) and a dialogue to match, I unfortunately couldn't get my teeth into this one as much as I'd hoped. That said, the story itself is fast enough paced that I kept wanting to pick the book up to find out who the Tongue Slasher was, what the secrets were surrounding Will, and of course to see the romance between Will ...more
Holly (Gladriel Fae)
I liked the familiar characters, and there was a bit of a twist at the end, but I didn't like how the author kept repeating the characters hesitancy to get involved with each other. She also referred to an incident that happened in the very beginning so much that I began to get annoyed.. She left a few things hanging and could have focused more on different aspects of the plot rather than the characters attraction to one another that they continually fought and she repeatedly pointed out. It was ...more
Amy Mcdonald
Jul 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was a dissapointment to me, I loved all of Beverly Barton's book that i have read!! I know mrs. Barton passed away in 2011, and her voice in the romantic suspense genre will be missed!!! But i found out this book was not written by her after i read it, that was very unfair to her fans, her family should not have released this book!! When it was written by someone else, in her memory!! Skip this book, and read the eariler books, that was written by mrs. Barton!!!!!
Kaitlin
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This one was MUCH better than Don't Cry. Julia was a much more realistic heroine. It was still a bit over the top (Will's wealth, their cold-cold-cold-hot romance) but all in all I liked it a lot. I wish there had been more at the end that wrapped up Will's personal issues though. I was sad when it ended because I wanted more. I dinged one star because it was still really predictable (I've found all of her books very predictable so this isn't anything unexpected just mildly disappointing)
Julia
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable book. I have only recently discovered the books of Beverly Barton and I really enjoy them. The serial killer was creepy, but the big reveal did not come as a total surprise. There were not many characters in the book, so unless the killer is totally random, there are not many suspects for the reader to choose from.

I enjoyed the blossoming romance between Will and Julia. It was a nice part of the story, without overshadowing the thriller part.
Nykol
Aug 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
I don't understand how this book has accomplished 4 stars. Her writing is atrocious. All of the characters are superficial, she repeats too much, about asinine things in an asinine manner. She focuses WAY too much on the main characters' relationship instead of the actual murder investigation. Easily one of the worst things I've ever read. At least it was a fast read.
Carrie
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the suspense, twist and turns and how I had to keep guessing who the killer was. Still didn't get it right! This was one I had to read with the covers tucked up to my chin. A great story for sure.
Kerrence James
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
such a great writer, this is my second BB book. I wasn't very happy with the end, it just ended!!! but I will go on to read her other books now. with bb she gives you everything you want,mystery,suspense, romance and a bloody good murder.
Nyss
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
The book scared me a little even though it does not talk about supernatural things. The only thing I don't like is that the lead character left her too-kind-therefore-boring husband to be for someone who is mysterious-and-suplado. Come on girl, where's your common sense?
« previous 1 3 next »

• Nowhere to Run (Nowhere, #1)
  • Live and Let Love (Agent Ex, #3)
  • The Widow's Daughter
  • Death, Taxes, and a Skinny No-Whip Latte (Tara Holloway, #2)
  • Serial Games (Virginia Justice, #1)
  • Vortex (Cutter Cay, #3)
  • Darwin's Children (Darwin's Children, #1)
  • A Duchess to Remember (Ministry of Marriage, #3)
  • Logan's Outlaw (Men of Defiance Book 4)
  • Twisted (Tracers, #5)
  • The Last Renegade (Bitter Springs #1)
  • Dead Ringer (Richmond, #2)
  • Lavender Lane Lothario (Berger and Mitry, #11)
  • Presumed Guilty / Keeper Of The Bride
  • The Pack (The Pack, #1)
  • Stalked (Lucy Kincaid, #5)
  • Flying in Shadows (Black Creek, #2)
  • A  Royal World Apart (Call of Duty, #1)
Beverly Marie Inman was born on 23 December 1946 in Tuscumbia, Alabama, USA. Daughter of Doris Marie and Walter D. Inman Jr. A born romantic, she fell in love with The Beauty and the Beast epic at an early age, when her grandfather bought her an illustrated copy of the famous fairy tale. Even before she learned to read and write, her vivid imagination created magical words and fabulous characters ...more

Don't Cry (2 books)