Start by marking “Rise of the Elgen (Michael Vey, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Elgen (Michael Vey, #2)

Rise of the Elgen (Michael Vey #2)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  18,726 Ratings  ·  1,647 Reviews
Michael must save his mother—and protect his powers—in the electric sequel to the #1 New York Times bestselling Michael Vey, from Richard Paul Evans.

Michael was born with special electrical powers—and he’s not the only one. His friend Taylor has them too, and so do other kids around the world. With Michael’s friend Ostin, a tecno-genius, they form the Electroclan, an allia
Published August 14th 2012 by Simon Pulse/Mercury Ink (first published January 1st 2012)

Colleen Houck
Oh the rats! The RATS! I still shiver just thinking about them. It's such a crazy cool idea for a source of energy that goes terribly wrong! Have to start the next book immediately to see what happens to Michael and his friends. Wow! Love all the energy powers.
Winter Sophia Rose
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Intense, Gripping, Secrets, Twists & Turns! A Exciting Read! I Loved It!
Drew
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kit Kat
I must say I am incredibly glad I saw this on the shelf at a bookstore and decided to read it. The first one was Phenominale and I wish the third one would come out faster. But here's the gist of it. Michael is a very well thought out character who is very out going and brave. The story was a little Cliche but I enjoyed it none the less. It's one of those books you read just to know the good guy would win, get the girl, and save his family. It made me wonder why others gave soooooo much attentio ...more
Mickey
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was a little... worried, towards the end, but hey, it was a really good book overall and I enjoyed it!
Levi
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was just as good as the first. The stories tied together almost perfectly, and I couldn't stop reading it. In this book the Elgen are using electric rats to produce electricity at almost no cost. They plan to build plants all over the world and monopolize the power industry. Countries would have to obey their every command, or they would shut down their power. I'd recommend it to people who like Science Fiction, but you should probably read the first book first.
Jackie
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
While the writing is ok - mostly fast-paced and definitely held my interest - this one suffered the frequent "sophomore slump". Yes, I understand this is science fiction. Yes, I've read science fiction before. No, science fiction isn't my favorite genre, but I still finished the book.

If I were being nit-picky, which I really try not to, I could list several things that I felt were thrown in just because the author could. They didn't really add to the plot, nor even the enjoyment of reading. They
Alisa
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My two complaints: This book came out on the second day of school... right as I'm trying to get my kids back in school! Even though I had limited time, I squeezed in some time to read this book because I really liked the first book. The second complaint: The cliffhanger that has me waiting another year (and I just heard that this is a 6-book series - Yikes!).

Michael and his friends escape the Elgen, meet an anonymous ally (known as "the Voice") who helps them with one of the escapes and gives th
V
3 stars

Richard Paul Evans took an interesting turn in the plot of his Michael Vey series in book two: Rise of the Elgen. The next book in the series follows Michael and the Electroclan as they escape the Elgen in book one, and later try to find his mother. While trying to locate her the Elgen keeps on attacking and a mysterious voice seems to be watching them.... Or is he? Will Michael succeed in finding his mother and escaping the Elgen?

Book two in the Michael Vey franchise was a good book. It
John
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing

An excellent book. Made for a great family read-a-loud. One thing to note, Richard Paul Evans promoted this series as one that was supposed to be as action-packed as other popular young adult books such as Harry Potter and Hunger Games, but without being as dark and demented. I would say that the first book of the series lived up to that claim, but this second book exposed much more of the villian in this story and was much darker. Some of the death scenes were especially gruesome and might be
Avery (ThePagemaster)
First read: November 11-18, 2012
Re-read: September 12-16, 2016

My feelings for the series, so far, have remained the same; though there is a flaw or two, I can look past that and still enjoy the series. It still makes my heart race faster and my ears hot with every one of Hatch's sermons. And the rats.

Speaking of rats, this book gets a little darker than its predecessor. Since rats have become such a common phobia, with good understanding, they are used as not only the source of the main plot dev
James
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely did enjoy this one. I had read the first book around 2 years ago and enjoyed it. I saw the sequel in the library and decided why not pick it up. Interesting cast of characters in these books. They are definitely mellowed out considering no one curses at all even though they are older teens and their lives are on the line. But, they don't mellow the violence at all. They talk about about feeding people to millions of rats and how its very quick and all that is left is bone in seconds.
Qt
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars. I continue to enjoy the characters, the story, and the action! The bad guy is certainly villainous and I like how the heroes work together and take care of each other. The ending wasn't totally satisfactory to me but I guess that's why there's another book ;-)
Lazybee
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
One of the worst mistakes superhero story writers makes is that overpowering their protagonist. R.P.Evans clearly made that mistake in this book. Other than that this was a classic superhero adventure. I can't say I didn't like it. Although it wasn't as awesome as it's predecessor.
Leona  Carstairs
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
My review of book one that pretty much describe the whole series: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Andrea
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favs
I liked this book, BUT, please note, don't read this book right before you are going to eat. There are some icky descriptions that totally grossed me out and made me loose my appetite! They did pertain to the story and plot and actually developed it, but it was still really gross and they are throughout the entire book. ewe. With that said, this is a 4 star book for me.

I liked how the characters are developing and how they work together. The plot was also good. It's sorta like a Jame's Bond mov
IvanCarrion
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What I love about this book is how the author adds a lot of detail to picture the setting and what the characters look like. I also love this book because of the way the author expresses what the characters feel and it definitely adds a lot of details. What I also love about this book is that the author adds a lot of suspense and keeps all the audience on the edge of their seats. I love that this book is a series and throughout every book the plot thickens. I also love this book because it defin ...more
Cyr
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good enough, for what it is - commercial fiction aimed at youngsters in the early- to mid-teens. The flaws don't really hinder its intended purpose, which is to be entertaining enough to keep you turning one more page - and maybe even pick up the next book in the series once you've been hooked in. The textual equivalent of a summertime Hollywood special-effects action flick; characters will occasionally turn to the camera at the dramatic moment and say something cheesy that no actual person woul ...more
Catherine ~Whatever you are, be a good one~
Content: This book is dark. Don't read this series unless you can handle lots of torture and some gruesome things like people being eaten alive by rats.

Cover: The cover's okay. The silhouette thing is repetitive, but I do love silhouette covers! The rats are kind of weird, though. I thought they were cats before I read the book.

Plot: The plot twists and turns and is very interesting!

Execution: It is a lot of darkness, which makes it difficult for me to read. I think it could be done bet
Alex Reynolds
Ernesto
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book number 2 was about Michael going to Peru to save his mom because Dr.Hatch kidnapped his mom. so Michael, Taylor, Ostin, Jack, and Wade went to Peru to save Michael mom. Dr.Hatch has like 4 other kids that are like Michael and they help Hatch. In the middle of the book Michael finds out that Hatch has made these kind of electric rats, that eats prisoners. At the end Michael and his friends escape the island in Peru but Michael disappeared.
Nathan
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Elgen is growing stronger as they make electric rats.
Chad
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun youth adventure about kids with special electric powers. I recommend for tweens and teens as well as adults
Charity Raisor
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book. I think the only thing that bothered me was the overuse of the word "walked". Other than that, I loved the storyline, and the plot twists were amazing! Overall, I loved it and can't wait to get my hands on the third one!
James Treanchard
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed reading this action packed book even though it was a bit repetitive at times
Chase
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one. Started right where the first one ended and kept with the first ones intensity and kept me engaged the whole time. I enjoyed the story and the development of the characters.
Stephanie (Bookish Plans)
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Rated PG - slightly morbid death scenes) Michael and his gang are on the hunt to find his mother who has been taken by the Elgen and the evil Dr. Hatch. The journey these kids take to get to her is so profound and astonishing, that I’m shocked that not one of the kids decides to leave the group. It just goes to show what true friendship and revenge can do to a person. And the cliffhanger at the end.....Grrrr!! I HAVE to read the next book to find out what happens. It’s killing me not to know ri ...more
T.C. Slonaker
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really liked how this book jumped right into the action. Though actually, the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I wanted more of a resolution to the problem and the introduction to a new one. Otherwise, this book is just a transition book. Also Ostin's character is becoming less believable and more "convenient"in his knowing everything. Otherwise, very well written!
Evan E
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clay
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining book. It's a little bit darker than the first one, but still good
Book Review #7 by Sheldon Peterson 1 1 May 11, 2018 11:17AM
book review #8 1 1 Apr 14, 2018 08:05PM
book report 1 2 Mar 23, 2018 08:18AM
  • The Reckoning (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #3)
  • Sorcerers and Seers (Tennis Shoes #11)
  • The End of Infinity (Jack Blank Adventure, #3)
  • Curse of the Broomstaff (Janitors, #3)
  • Arcade Catastrophe (The Candy Shop War, #2)
  • Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden, #2)
  • The Avatar Battle (Cragbridge Hall, #2)
  • When the Bough Breaks
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • The Final Hour (The Homelanders, #4)
  • Sir Quinlan and the Swords of Valor (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #5)
  • Code Word (Saint Squad, #6)
  • Psion Gamma (Psion, #2)
  • Air Keep (Farworld, #3)
  • Chickens in the Headlights
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans

Michael Vey (7 books)
  • The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey, #1)
  • Battle of the Ampere (Michael Vey, #3)
  • Hunt for Jade Dragon (Michael Vey, #4)
  • Storm of Lightning (Michael Vey, #5)
  • Fall of Hades (Michael Vey, #6)
  • The Final Spark (Michael Vey, #7)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Magnetism is not like in the superhero movies. I couldn’t pull a car toward myself, because a car weighs more than I do. I just ended up pulling myself to the car.” 9 likes
“Geography is my strong subject,” Ostin said. “Everything is your strong subject,” Taylor said.” 8 likes