Start by marking “Transcendence (Transcendence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Transcendence (Transcendence, #1)

Transcendence

(Transcendence #1)

When a visit to the Tower of London triggers an overwhelmingly real vision of a beheading that occurred centuries before, Cole Ryan fears she is losing her mind. A mysterious boy, Griffon Hall, comes to her aid, but the intensity of their immediate connection seems to open the floodgate of memories even wider.

As their feelings grow, Griffon reveals their common bond as mem
Published June 5th 2012 by Walker Childrens

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

4.25 out of 5 stars

First, immediate thoughts upon finishing this quick read of a teenage paranormal novel:

That was a lot of fun! That was original and wholly compelling, and it managed to be all that and more without a love triangle or a heroine who is too stupid to live! It can be done!

Though Transcendence inevitably hits a few bumps that keep it from being perfect, it was perfectly enjoyable and fully diverting for the few (far too short!) hours i
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A captivating storyline with plenty of romance, mystery, historical references, suspense and reincarnation. Transcendence introduces readers to an incredible world, fascinating characters and a unique story line. I've not read a lot of YA books that tackle reincarnation, and I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed C.J.'s story. I found it to be an incredibly intriguing, fun read. I didn't think this would be a story that I would get as swept up in as I did, and I really enjoyed it.

Being
J.C. Phillipps
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Transcendence is the kind of book that hits my sweet spot. It's based in reality but an enhanced reality, a magical reality. It's here and now but with a fun twist: reincarnation.

I really loved the way C. J. Omololu weaved the snippets of memory of Cole's past lives into the narrative. The flow was smooth and I always felt as though I was right there with her. The overall writing is fabulous. I love good writing where I might think, "Wow, I love how she put that," without being yanked out of th
Rose
Initial reaction: "Transcendence" had many elements that intrigued me - mystery, suspense, romance, loose ties to Egyptian lore, a decent time travel story, and nice characterization. It does start a little sluggish with setting the pieces and people in the story in place, but once the story finds its stride, it doesn't let go. I really enjoyed the relationship between Cole and Griffon.

Full review:

"Transcendence" is one of the stronger YA fantasy/time-travel stories I've read in a while. Granted
BAYA Librarian
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
This novel has an interesting paranormal concept that plays out in a disconnected, melodramatic plot with forgettable characters. It may appeal to younger teens who still love vampire stories, or are bored of vampire stories but still want that romance-between-beings-with-eternal-life thing. It may also interest readers interested in the concept of reincarnation.

San Francisco high school student and cello prodigy Cole Ryan is visiting the Tower of London during summer vacation when she is overco
Canadian
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
While on a vacation visit to the Tower of London, high-school junior and cello prodigy, Cole (Nicole) Ryan experiences a waking dream, a hallucination in which she is not an observer, but a participant. She finds herself to be a young woman in 1538 about to be executed within the walls of the tower grounds. When Cole comes to, dizzy and disoriented among the many tourists, Griffon, a young fellow American also from San Francisco, comes to her aid. He later provides the initially incredulous Cole ...more
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, ebooks
At first I wasn’t sure what to think, I was sucked in but started to dislike Griffon pretty much right away. I thought this book had the making of a beautiful disaster, but yet again, I was wrong. This book is beautiful, but certainly not a disaster. After Griffon comes clean, there was no way to not like him. He is totally lovable.

Cole is confused, pretty much throughout the entire book, and I don’t blame her. Just when you think you know what is going on, you, the reader, are left even more co
Kimbayya
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
So i won this book for free through the giveaways here on goodreads. I had never heard of the author before so I had not idea what to expect. But boy i wasnt disappointed!

The plot of the story was wonderful. The way it was played out made sense but also kept you wondering and interested. The romance between Cole and Griffon was beautiful, how they just seemed to click. It was a different type of story, fresh and new, which is what I liked so much about it. I think that in some parts it should h
Stephanie Cowart
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.
This is a fantastic book! I'm so glad it's got a sequel because I definitely want more of Griffon and Cole!
I was hooked from the first chapter that describes Cole and her sister Kat on a Spring Break trip to London. That's where Cole starts having disturbing visions and she meets Griffon for the first time.
When she returns home to San Francisco and the visions continues, Cole thinks she's going crazy. She reconnects with Griffon and
Anna Banana
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review: What were my expectations of this book? Hmm I thought it sounded interesting enough and I figured I would enjoy it but never did I think I would end up liking the book so much.

From the first page, I was hooked. I could hardly believe it myself as I looked down and realized I finished the book in a matter of a few hours but it was just that good. Everything about the book from the characters, details, even the little things they said had me smiling and eagerly reading on.

Another cool fac
Constance Burris
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Mature YA Read

Great Mature YA Read. Highly recommend. I usually like my YA with more action, and there were spots that seemed a bit slow. But overall it was a great read and full of surprises.
Shaheen
While I enjoyed Transcendence and it certainly kept me entertained, there are ultimately too many things I didn't like about it to really proclaim it an instant favourite. I think the past-lives, reincarnation aspect is handled well (and ties to Egyptian mythology are always a plus), but the characters and the plotting could have been much, much better.

We begin with the world-building, wherein everyone reincarnates, but only a special few, called Ahket, remember their past lives. The awakening,
Jessica (Stuck in Books)
Transcendence was so much better than I expected it to be. I had been putting off reading it for a really long while now, so I decided I should read it. Now I'm so glad I did. I read this book in something like 24 hours. I started it Saturday night and finished it Sunday night -- Mothers Day! It was intriguing and sweet and just something I couldn't help but keep reading. It was practically glued to my hands throughout the duration of last weekend.

At first glance, this book seems to be just one
Meaghan
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I will admit that when I was first approached about this book I was a little hesitant. The historical element made me a little nervous. Since I have been blogging I have learned that I am not a historical girl and I did not want to accept a book to review that I would not end up enjoying. I read a little more about it online and was really intrigued by the whole idea of past lives I so decided to give it a try anyway. I am very happy that I did give this book a chance, because while there are h ...more
Kristin
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I will say this, I love time travel books. Especially those by Connie Willis (just saying check out her books if you haven't). But, until yesterday, I don't believe I have ever read a book dealing with reincarnation. Who know it could be so much fun?

Nicole "Cole" Ryan was just a normal sixteen-year-old girl (minus the whole child prodigy bit). Until she started to "fall" into visions. Visions of things that happened in the past. No, not her immediate past, but from times long ago. We first meet
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided Bloomsbury Australia in exchange for an honest review.

Transcendence was an addictive read. As some of you may know, past lives are kind of a weakness for me. I love the notion that we may have lived entirely different lives to the ones we are living now. Like I said, kind of a weakness.

Transcendence opens with Nicole in London, receiving visions (or flashbacks) of her past lives (not that she knows this – yet). There, she meets Griffon. A beautiful boy who she s
Book Sp(l)ot
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-release, series
Nicole - Cole to everyone but her mother - Ryan has been getting strange feelings as she tours London with her sister. It's as if she already knows what's around the corner - or what used to be. Streets she's never been on feel familiar to her, old buildings hold a sense of déjà vu as well.

This is Cole's first trip to London so she has no explanation for the feelings, either.

Nor does she know why at the Tour of London she's almost overcome with visions of a beheading - and it feels like her own!
Leigh Collazo
More reviews at MrsReaderPants

REVIEW: Honestly, Transcendence was just okay for me. It has some page-turning moments (mostly toward the end), but it also has some really slow moments (mostly the first 2/3 of the book). The story starts quickly on the steps of the Tower of London, where Cole has her first vision and meets Griffon. That part had me looking forward to the rest of the story. Once Cole returns to San Francisco, however, barely anything happens for quite awhile save a LOT of info-dump
Amber
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2012, for-review
Transcendence was amazing! I couldn't put this book down. There was so much mystery and suspense. If you are interested in reincarnation, this is a great pick for you. The unique storyline was so captivating. I simply can't say how fascinating this story is.

I actually think it would be just amazing to be able to remember past lives. To see how different the world has become through the years, centuries even. Cole and Griffon were two Akhet's, people who can remember who they were in the lives t
A Book Vacation
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Initially, I had a hard time getting into this story. I felt like everything was a bit pushed and I didn’t understand what was happening with the flashbacks. I liked the introduction of Griffon, but then he disappeared and I was confused as to his role in the book. But then, it all came together, fairly quickly, and Omololu did a great job putting together the pieces of the puzzle, explaining everything, and capturing my interest, especially as the truth behind the Akhet came to light.

In my opin
Sara
Jul 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Verdict: Interesting paranormal concept that played out in a disconnected, melodramatic plot with forgettable characters.

Perfect for: People who still love vampire stories, or are bored of vampire stories but still want that romance-between-beings-with-eternal-life thing. People who are interested in the concept of reincarnation.

Find out about what the heck Akhet are and why the book didn’t make the best use of them
Stacy
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, own
I was in the worst reading slump of my life until I read this book. This story got me excited to read again. It has all the elements that I love in a YA book without becoming cliche. It has love without the instant cheesiness, mystery without the low points and the fresh new concept of reincarnation. The author is also displaying the new wave of feminism. Where a girl is not a helpless creature or a manly brute but a strong female who can take care of herself. I can not wait for the next book in ...more
Miri
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Supernatural/sci-fi-ish elements: great. Teen romance elements: blech. The plot is interesting (if occasionally predictable), but Cole's internal monologue regarding Griffon sounded a lot, too much like Bella Swan. So right now, four stars; in a few weeks we'll see which feeling I'm left with more strongly, and whether I drop it to three.
Deborah Milagros
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multiple-lives
Book: Transcendence

Author: C.J. Omololu

Length: 336

Published: June 5, 2012

Format: Hardcover (read e-book)

Source: NetGalley

My view

I requested this galley from NetGalley (http://www.netgalley.com) several weeks ago and received no answer. Last Friday, I requested a different book and a couple of hours later, I received four messages from them. I guess they were having issues with their systems since I was approved for two copies of the same book. Plus, I received two emails denying the reques
Audrey Graser
Publishing Information: 336 pages; June 5, 2012 by Walker Childrens
Series: Transcendence #1

Where I got it: E-book from the library

Synopsis from Goodreads:

"When a visit to the Tower of London triggers an overwhelmingly real vision of a beheading that occurred centuries before, Cole Ryan fears she is losing her mind. A mysterious boy, Griffon Hall, comes to her aid, but the intensity of their immediate connection seems to open th
Charissa Ty
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It's very very young adult. Don't plan on continuing this series.
amandra
Really really liked this can't wait to read the Sequel
Wendy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty cool book!
Merin
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Transcendence was an interesting look at reincarnation, and what would happen if you could remember all of your previous lifetimes. Cole is a child prodigy cellist, who, while on vacation with her sister and father in London, starts experiencing ridiculously real visions of things that happened in the past. During one of these visions, she meets Griffon, a boy who she seems to have a startling connection to, considering that they've never met. Once back in the States, Cole realizes that Griffon ...more
Rachel Parham
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Awww … another one of these novels that falls into your lap at the right moment in time. I admit that I am the type who turns to books for answers to those existential and universal questions, which is not always the brightest idea, but it brings me some measure of comfort nonetheless.

It’s probably more the connection I have with the characters in these books facing similar dilemmas or questions I am facing at the same time, then actually finding any answers. It helps to watch someone else wand
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Drew 1 6 Jul 10, 2013 10:49AM

• Candlewax
  • I Am (Not) the Walrus
  • Senshi (Katana, #2)
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • Grim
  • Dust Girl (The American Fairy, #1)
  • Peaceweaver
  • Blackwood
  • Devine Intervention
  • Tempest Unleashed (Tempest, #2)
  • Cat Girl's Day Off
  • The Syndicate
  • Bad Hair Day (Kate Grable, #2)
  • Shackled
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 9 (Wild Ones, #9)
  • Intentions
  • On the Day I Died: Stories from the Grave
  • Curves & Courage (Future Alphas, #2)
I write as C.J., but you can call me Cynthia. My YA novel DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS came out in early 2010. My next book TRANSCENDENCE came out in June of 2012, followed by the sequel INTUITION in June of 2013. My newest book is a YA thriller called THE THIRD TWIN and will be out in February 2015 followed by another standalone thriller RECOVERY in early 2016.

You might notice that I only give 4 or 5 st

Transcendence (2 books)
  • Intuition (Transcendence, #2)