Start by marking “The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury” as Want to Read:
The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury

The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A collection of more than 200 poems by such modern poets as Nikki Grimes, John Ciardi, Karla Kuskin, Ted Hughes, e.e. cummings, Eve Merriam, Deborah Chandra, Arnold Adoff, and more than 100 others.
Library Binding, 96 pages
Published September 21st 1999 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury

Katherine Cowley
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
This is a lovely collection of poems for children, with poems on animals, seasons, body parts, actions (i.e. running), children's games (there's a lovely poem on jacks) and so much more. It's a great book to introduce your kids to the joy of poetry. And the illustrations are wonderful and fun.
Stan
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Poems that span the twentieth century. Poems that celebrate life and beauty. Cuddly, happy, serious, silly poems, poems, poems; two hundred eleven in all. Color and water give lovely impressions, but don't cramp the feel of the words. What a delightful book this is.

With every reading the book gets better. I have struggled with enjoying poetry, but I keep feeling drawn to it. Perhaps if there had been someone in my life that loved poetry the journey may have been easier, but now I can say I love
Gaby Montes
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children, Bedtime Reads, Poetry
Recommended to Gaby by: Amazon
It's hilarious that I have owned the 20th Century Children's Book Treasury for YEARS and never once did it occur to me that this book might have some hidden gems of its own - and it's not because I don't love poetry! In fact, I love poetry, always have. Well, this book finally came into my possession when I ordered it off Amazon as a gift for a child. IT wasn't my intention to get this book either, no no, I wanted the Book Treasury. Time was against me so I went with this book - and I'm so glad ...more
Christie
Summary:
You want monsters, talk about food, fighting with your brother or sister, talk about school or just being silly. Here is the book for you.

Genre: This poem book has a great selection of poems of all kinds and from the current century lots of sensory and imagination.

Writing Traits Sentence fluencey- There poems that have a rhythm and a beat, graceful varied almost musical to the ear. Word Choice the language used creates meaning, the words are chosen for the meaning and the phrase. Voice-
Meghann Sniffen
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Awards the book has received (if any): none
Appropriate grade level(s): second
Original 3-line summary: This book has many poems about growing up and changing but are for children. Topics in the book range from fights with your siblings to monsters and ice cream.
Original 3-line review: I think this poem book is really good because it covers such a weird range of topics. I think the poems in it are fun and playful and the book cover is very bright.
2-3 possible in-class uses:Good for getting modern
Gabrielle Pulito
Oct 13, 2015 marked it as to-read
Title: italicize 20th Century Children’s Poetry Treasury
Author: Jack, Prelutsky
Illustrator: Meilo So
Genre: Poems
Theme(s): Poems, Young Children, Everyday Life, Creativity, Learning
Opening line/sentence: Magic Landscape: Shall I draw a magic landscape?
Brief Book Summary: This collection hold a series of children’s poems. Most of the poems relate to the lives and learning experiences of a child as they grow up and go through the realities and teachings of life.
Professional Recommendation/Revi
Mara Loventhal
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Title: The 20th Century Children’s Poetry Treasury
Author: Jack PrelutskyIllustrator: Meilo SoGenre: Collection Of Poems For ChildrenTheme(s): Animals, Seasons, Life, Learning, Young ChildrenOpening line/sentence: Magic Landscape: Shall I draw a magic landscape? In the genius of my fingers I hold the seeds.Brief Book Summary: This group of poems essentially consists of everyday experiences children will face when growing up. The poems range from happy and silly to sad and serious. They each show
Marla Bassetti
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
The 20th Century Children's Poetry selected by Jack Prelutsky contains 211 wonderful poems that relate to children of the century. With topics such as sibling rivalry, monsters, school, nature, and self reflection; the book identifies with the many moods and interests of children. The poems range from simple to complex and challenging, thought provoking concepts, but with language that is appropriate for children. This book would be great to accommodate the many interests of students in our clas ...more
Jessica
Identifying the appropriate genre: Poetry

Review/Summary: Children’s author and poet Jack Prelutsky puts together a group of poetry that represents poems of 137 famous poets. This book represents a wide range of topics from food to sibling rivalry. This book is a great addition to any family or classroom library.

Writing Trait :The 20th Century Children’s Poetry Treasury includes a couple writing traits:

Sentence Fluency: This book is full of poems with rhythm and rhyme. The sentences throughout t
Katelyn Mendoza-Weiss
What a fun book of poetry! "The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury", drew my attention simply because of the illustrations. Each page has a new illustration that carries a new theme with it. For example, one page has a picture of people at the park. The titles of the poems on that page are some how associated with some detail from that illustration. The titles are simple like "The Snowflake", "Spring", or "Dinosaur", but they nearly cover ever object, place, and time a child would encounter ...more
Lindsey Andrighetti
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
The 20th Century Children’s Poetry Treasury is a book that not only captivates the reader, but also gives the reader an experience. The poems that are contained within this book are also not the sometimes-cliché, children’s poems that limit the child’s imagination. The poems within this book are extremely diverse and cover the entire spectrum of topics of poetry. Another added plus of this book lays within the illustrations. The pictures and drawings in this book cross the gutter on each page, a ...more
Megan
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-books
K-6th grades
Another great poetry book from Jack Prelutsky. This collection has such an anthologic variety of poem topics, from the subject of wolfs to summertime stars to the month of June. The pages are filled with many poems from many different authors. The text on each page is relatively small, needing a teacher to be the reader for younger children, or it could be used as a read alone for the upper grades. Some illustrations run across the pages while others sit nicely at the bottom. I would
Alex Gagliano
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This collection of poems is great for students during any time of the year. The pages are grouped based on theme of the poem. There are winter themed poems, musical poems, nature poems, and more. All of the poems are written by well known authors. Students can flip through and read poems of their choice, without starting on page one. I think the students would like the colorful pictures on each page. They can help the students relate to the poem. I would show this book to students after teaching ...more
Josue A
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-books
This is a really good book. I like how the seasons are incorporated in the poems. Very vivid
Katharine Snyder
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book of poetry was a good book to sift through and read poems. All the poems in this book were written by children, and chosen by Jack Prelutsky. The illustrations in this book were by Meilo So, and were very incredible. Each page was well thought out and done beautifully. There were elements of children in the pictures and were well matched to the multiple poems on the page. The poems on each page were also somewhat related to one another, for example on page 2/3 the titles are "Magic Land ...more
Janet Luch
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
There are a variety of poems in this book. Some are humorous, others are more serious. The poems are written by a variety of authors, some well known. The colorful illustrations add to the understanding and enjoyment of the poems. I also appreciated reading the many types of poems included in the book.
I think this would be a great book to help children learn about poetry. A few poems could be read each day and the students might discuss them as well a possibly write their own poems in a similar
Amy Scott
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is filled with lots of different kinds of poems for children. I like that the variety allows you to use this book with lots of different ages. Some of the poems are short and rhyming which the younger kids will enjoy, while others are longer and don't rhyme, which is good so that students don't mistakenly think all poetry needs to rhyme. My favorite poem in the book is "Be Glad Your Nose Is on Your Face." Overall great poetry resource for the classroom.
Carolyn
Aug 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: "children" of all ages
This is the most creative book of children's poetry I have ever seen or read. The illustrations are outstanding, and the layout of poems often reflects the topic of the poem - eg it may be laid out in a circle. I have a copy of this book that gives me endless pleasure in seeing the creativity of the human mind in something so endearing.
Susie
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. It has such a nice variety of poems, and the watercolor illustrations do a fabulous job of setting the tone. I appreciate the way the pages seem to flow from theme to theme; the composition and placement make sense. It contains a nice variety, and the overall effect is very enjoyable.
❤Marie Gentilcore
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
A wonderful collection of poetry of various styles. I got this for my 7-year old son for a school project regarding poetry. He is not a fan of poetry... yet, but he found some poems in the book that he enjoyed. I loved almost all of the poems.
Susan
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
very dense, packed with poetry, art has a nice retro fifties feel. Might be offputting for kids considering small type and tons of poetry but teachers and adults should appreciate the scope of the collection
Alethea Bothwell
What a disappointment! With a name like that, I expected a nice fat collection - instead it was a skimpy thin volume, with washed-out boring watercolors. There were only a couple dozen poems I liked.
On the other hand, most of the poems I had not heard before, so maybe they will grow on me.
Sarah Sharp
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-challenge
I spent a couple of days going through these and reading all sorts of different poems types. There are many different authors, some I had heard of and some I had not. There are may illustrations to go with the poems that just make the book even more interesting!
Lovelle
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this poetry book was good. It was filled with a wide variety of poems. Some were a little confusing to me and some were simple. My favorite poem was the Ears poem because it was just good and rhymed good. I don't highly recommend this but I do recommend this.
Tanya
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The poetry is great, the pictures quite lacking.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a good selection of poems
and information about the poems explaining them to children
a great collection of poems with explanations of form and meaning
Cindy
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My #1 favorite children's poetry collection.
C-Ham
Dec 28, 2015 added it
I just wanna read because to collect the data I want to find.
Taylor Porter
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poems
I loved this book! The book had amazing illustrations and the rhymes were entertaining! the pictures were very detailed and captured my eye! I definitely recommend this book to children and teachers.
Kim Miller
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
This poem book has poetry that is slightly more complex. For slightly older children. I did not end up using any poems from here for my phonics lesson, but there were a few that i liked.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Golden Treasury of Poetry
  • Here's a Little Poem: A Very First Book of Poetry
  • A First Book of Fairy Tales
  • Sing a Song of Popcorn: Every Child's Book of Poems
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • Aesop's Fables
  • What's Under The Sea? (Usborne Starting Point Science)
  • Fun Dog, Sun Dog
  • Ten Little Mummies
  • If All the Animals Came Inside
  • Mike Mulligan and More: A Virginia Lee Burton Treasury
  • Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems
  • A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children
  • A Stick Is an Excellent Thing: Poems Celebrating Outdoor Play
  • Golden Legacy: How Golden Books Won Children's Hearts, Changed Publishing Forever, and Became An American Icon Along the Way
  • Rapunzel
  • Santa Clauses: Short Poems from the North Pole
  • Eloise Wilkin Stories
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...