Start by marking “Ship of Destiny” as Want to Read:
Ship of Destiny

Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders #3)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  42,838 Ratings  ·  1,158 Reviews
Majestic and sweeping, 'Ship of Destiny' concludes the tale of the Vestrit family and their part in the history of the Liveship Traders with a soaring and triumphant finale to this unique series of epic fantasy.
Mass Market Paperback, 903 pages
Published (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ship of Destiny, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Judy Brunton
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kaylee Brown
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-physical
4.5/5 stars

A satisfying conclusion to the Liveship Traders trilogy and at the same time, it also made me super excited to start Tawny Man trilogy.

Ship of Destiny marks the conclusion to the Liveship Traders trilogy, the second out of five subseries in Hobb’s Realm of the Elderlings series, and this was overall a satisfying conclusion. I really have to give this praise to Robin Hobb. Having read six books and one novella so far, whether I love it or not (mostly love), I found all her stories to b
Bookdragon Sean
I loved the ending of this because everything was resolved perfectly, and at the same time the events have far, far, reaching consequences. These will no doubt affect the Six Duchies. This made the ending so strong for me because I couldn’t wait to read more. I couldn’t wait to see how far Amber has (and will) shape the world in accordance with her prophecies.

It’s all about the dragons!

The magic behind all this slowly began to reveal itself across the trilogy and, finally, in this book it w
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-the-book
Another stunning trilogy by Robin Hobb. How I loved the characters! They are so vivid and real. Althea and Brashen are to fall in love with. Im no big fan of pirate tales, but Robin Hobb just enthralls me. I just had the best start of the morning by finishing this book. Woke up before 8 am ( on a day off .....) Decided to read the last few pages ( fell asleep last night on the couch ) and there were cookies next to me....healthy start of the day!

Im still convinced everyone should just read Robin
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is going down as one of my favourite fantasy trilogies.
Without a doubt! (This review contains some spoilers of book 1 and 2)

Part of it is very typical Robin Hobb (after 6 books I’m allowed to say that right?) she makes characters so incredible real they become existing people. I’ve said it before, but it’s just really true: they become people for you to love or loathe. But it’s also remarkable how mean she is to them all: she sends them through hell, leaves them there without food or d
Franco  Santos
No intentes alcanzar las estrellas cuando estés rodeada del ancho mar.
Reseña general sin "spoilers":

Con una trama que partía de una idea sencilla, esta autora me llevó por las corrientes de un mar agresivo y caprichoso hacia el surgimiento de un relato sinfónico. Un relato largo, que se toma su tiempo para golpear, pero que, cuando lo hace, el derramamiento de sangre es seguro. Y la sangre recuerda. La sangre es identidad, y una parte de mi identidad se fue a bordo de las naves que vuelan en s
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm just so grateful that this series exists. It is phenomenal. I enjoyed every hour of my life that I spent on these three books. That is all.
David Sven
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Robin Hobb delivers a highly satisfying finale to an enjoyable fantasy series. If you have read The Farseer Trilogy and are debating whether to read this trilogy next or skip ahead to the Tawny Man trilogy – I can’t recommend The Liveships Trilogy enough. I think there are little tidbits throughout to reward those who choose to continue in publication order.

One thing Hobb does well, is produce interesting, well thought out, multidimensional characters. Many of the characters who are arguably “go
Helene Jeppesen
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did it! I finished it! My reading of these three 900-page-books has been quite a journey, but in the end I'm glad I stuck to the end and got a great reading experience out of it.
This is the last book in the trilogy, so obviously I can't tell you too much about the story. However, I can tell you that this last installment was quite breathtaking and intense. With this novel, I finally felt a deep connection to all of the characters, maybe because I've been following their journeys for so many p
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Of course. This book is amazing.
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 5-stars
I give this book 5 pirates... 5 dragons... no, wait... 5 stars! One of the most emotionally charged fantasy books I have read coming from the master at making fantasy feel real, The Magician, Robin Hobb!

Ship of Destiny (2001) is the third book in the Liveship Traders series by Robin Hobb. An absolute amazing finale! This comes from someone who gave two stars for it's first book, Ship of Magic. This book/trilogy is perfect for anyone who likes the fantasy genre with less action, more deep emot
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
This whole series has been perfection. It's not often that after reading a 2* book by an author I will continue on with their work but with Hobb I am so thrilled that I did go on to the Liveship books after the Farseer ones because truly she's a miracle writer and her ability to craft convincing, beautiful and stunning characters, worlds and ideas is unparalleled.

This is book 3 in the Liveship books and so naturally I cannot give away the plot of the story but suffice to say we're once more fol
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
Xime García
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reseñados
4.5 en realidad.

Creo que es hora de colocar esta imagen que hace años que conservo como uno de mis tantos fondos de pantalla en mi computadora (sí, tengo una serie de fondos que se van deslizando DÉJENME SER) y que resulta que, sin saberlo, es la portada de uno de los libros de esta saga cuya autora me cautivó desde el principio.

Oh, Hobb, te amaba desde antes sin saberlo

No me voy a extender mucho con este libro. Tiene medio punto menos que el anterior pero es solo una cuestión formal. No me abr
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Fantasy, Hobb
Reading Ship of Destiny fulfilled the majority of my expectations. Being the third and final book of the Liveship Traders trilogy, I was hoping it would do just that. Actually, Ship of Destiny exceeded some of my hopes with an open-ended finish. Matching the standards of the first two books can be no easy task for Robin Hobb, but it’s something I’ve learned not to fear. She always comes through. Somehow the tension provided in these three books only managed to increase as the story continued, wh ...more
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll write a review when I'm not crying.
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
Guys and Gals. I'm finally going to write a quick review. This fantasy trilogy is SO GOOD. A perfect blend of intricate world building, a rich plot, and most importantly fleshed out characters.

One of the things I love about fantasy is that it is able to take true to life problems and injustices and put a fresh face to them. It allows the reader to step into these injustices and look at them more baldly because they are happening outside of our own world. It makes me think hard about my own preco
Signs of an excellent book: Keeps you up at night. Makes you forget your body's basic needs. Makes your vision blurry from reading it constantly. Relationships suffer because you ignore other people to read said book. All of this happened to me in the course of reading Ship of Destiny. I could not put this book down. For days, I was completely entranced by Robin Hobb's world. And I would not have it any other way.

Ms. Hobb played my emotions like a fiddle. I felt like a marionette and she was hol
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
My brain is too fried to think, and a picture is worth a thousand words so..

Let me open up by showing an accurate depiction of Robin Hobb and her characters..
Yep looks accurate enough to me.. and I thought she was mean to my babies in Farseer :') This series was borderline sadist towards those precious children.. Shall we continue?

When we finally learned the full extent of the flashbacks despite all the previous not-so-subtle hints..

when THAT scene happened..

All the other near-hits..

Then there i
Heather Hopkins
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read. I need to sit and dwell on the series then I will review. I'm actually a little sad, not because of how it ended, but because I was so engrossed in the story that I don't want to come back to reality. I want to stay aboard the ship.

Updated Review - Review of all three books in the Robin Hobb The Liveship Traders Trilogy 3 Books Collection Set.

I've read the The Farseer Trilogy and throughout the years since I read it p
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Finally there is a Hobb book with a thoroughly satisfying end! Ship of Destiny, the final piece of a very complex puzzle which reveals so many secrets.

The story continues Althea's quest for her Liveship while the other story line follows the newly awoken dragon. While some parts of the story were predictable, there were so many well placed twists and revelations that leave you stunned and a few times even sickened.

The narration is excellent as always. However the length of the novel could have
Julie (A Girl and a Book)
5 amazing stars. This has without a doubt become my favorite trilogy of all time. I loved everything about these books; the characters, the setting, the story. Robin Hobb is simply a master at what she does and I can't wait to continue on with the other trilogies set in this world.
A fine, although a bit rushed finish to a remarkable fantasy trilogy.

The character development is still strong. I was especially pleased to see well-written female protagonists of all ages. However, because their world is very patriarchal, women do not have it easy and this book in particular goes to some dark places.

It includes a brutal rape of my favourite character by another major character. What made it even more heartbreaking is that no one believed her. From that point on in the book I ha
I loved how inventive this series was, but - blasphemously - I think it could have been at least 500 pages shorter. And while the climax doesn't disappoint, with every character converging in the same place in a satisfying way, I found Althea's arc to be so underwhelming and unnecessary that it took out some of the joy of the conclusion. Ultimately, I'd recommend these books to fantasy readers who aren't afraid of a 2500+ page commitment, but with some reservations that I didn't expect after fin ...more
Shelby Machart - Read and Find Out
Hobb is a genius, and I'm so going to miss these characters. Bingtown society was fascinating, and the exploration of tradition and human nature was phenomenal.

Trigger warning for rape.
Mark Harrison
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute joy to read this series. Any plot points would spoil the earlier books but there are pirates, dragons, sea serpents, love stories, heartbreaking losses, a beautiful twist to tie in the Fitz series and a breathtaking number of amazing characters. All of them have long journeys, good guys go bad, horrible characters change and the strong women in the Vesterit family knit everything together. Loved this so much - without question one of my favourite series of all time and gutted I will nev ...more
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
A great conclusion to a wonderful trilogy.
I loved the development of the characters, especially that of Malta; I loved the liveships and the wonderful description of their journey towards self-discovery, especially that of Paragon. I loved the dragon and the rain wilders and I'm looking forward to more of their adventures.
I was greatly surprised to discover here another facet of the Fool. Or maybe this was his true image after all. Hobb's writing is so brilliant that I only managed to put all of
Damian Dubois
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. My favourite of the three Hobb trilogies I've read to date and even better the second time through them all. Simply fantastic.
Michelle Morrell
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, x-read-2015
Coming to an end of my first Hobb trilogy, I saved this book for a time I knew I'd need it. I hoped it was going to follow the first two, and be an epic immersion into a rich and vibrant world of magic, of adventure, and of humanity.

So, sure enough, coming out the other end of what was one of the hardest weeks of my adulthood, I picked up "Ship of Destiny" and I disappeared. Was it everything I'd hoped? Oh yes.

Such a satisfying conclusion. Characters, instead of following the path I assumed wou
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty damn epic. These three books were very long and had the entire family become heroes in their own right. The wrap-up was long and satisfying, and while the the main action wasn't necessarily a single or even ten different events, the resolution had an inevitable and happy feel to it that wasn't diminished by one main character's death. You'll know who I mean, and you probably won't even mind his passing. After all, he passes on a heritage that perhaps won't be tainted by his past. P ...more
The Robin Hobb Co...: Ship of Destiny > Finished! 31 121 Mar 28, 2017 11:43PM
The Robin Hobb Co...: Ship of Destiny > Chapter 26 to 30 20 64 Jan 13, 2017 04:08PM
Liveship Traders vs Farseer 28 176 Jan 05, 2017 01:42AM
The Robin Hobb Co...: Ship of Destiny > Chapter 16 to 20 16 41 Dec 29, 2016 07:35AM
The Robin Hobb Co...: Ship of Destiny > Chapter 11 to 15 24 51 Dec 09, 2016 11:14PM
The Robin Hobb Co...: Ship of Destiny > Chapter 6 to 10 21 41 Nov 26, 2016 08:06AM
The Robin Hobb Co...: Ship of Destiny > Chapter 1 to 5 15 47 Nov 24, 2016 09:47PM
  • The Limbreth Gate (Windsingers, #3)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)
  • Daughter of Ancients (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #4)
  • An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet, #3)
  • Lord of the Shadows (Second Sons, #3)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3)
  • Revenge (Trinity, #2)
  • Dark is the Moon (The View from the Mirror, #3)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more
More about Robin Hobb...

Liveship Traders (3 books)
  • Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1)
  • The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)

Fiction Deals

• Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Baker's Daughter
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Fire by Night
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“That is the challenge Companion. To take what has happened to you and learn from it. Nothing is quite so destructive as pity, especially self-pity. No event in life is so terrible that one cannot rise above it.
“When you fear to fail, you fear something that has not happened yet. You predict your own failure, and by inaction, lock yourself into it.” 50 likes