Start by marking “Pioggia nera” as Want to Read:
Pioggia nera

Pioggia nera (Kenzie & Gennaro #5)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  17,741 Ratings  ·  719 Reviews
Librarian's Note: this is an alternate cover edition - ISBN 10: 883842909X

Quando Patrick Kenzie incontra Karen Nichols per la prima volta, resta colpito dal suo aspetto acqua e sapone, dalla sua aria innocente, di ragazza perbene, senza problemi, se non quelli provocati da un corteggiatore troppo insistente. Ma sei mesi dopo Karen si suicida buttandosi dalla finestra. Cosa
Paperback, Piemme pocket, 460 pages
Published 2003 by Piemme (first published May 19th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Pioggia nera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pioggia nera

Will Byrnes
Dan Schwent
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a former client commits suicide, Patrick Kenzie goes digging into her background to find out why. What he finds is a blackmailing stalker that anticipates his every move. Even after being reunited with Angela, can Patrick put a stop to the blackmailer's reign of terror?

Wow. After Gone Baby Gone, I assumed the Kenzie and Gennaro series would be on the decline. I'm not ashamed to admit I was wrong.

Prayers for Rain starts with Patrick at his lowest point and sees him clawing his way back to th
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Actual rating : 4.5 stars

After Gone, Baby, Gone, Prayers for Rain was like a breath of fresh air.

"You wanted to play? Well, hide-and-seek is over. Let the real game begin, motherfucker."

You were baffled to see how out of character and - yes - boring his behavior was in Gone, Baby, Gone? Good news, people! PATRICK IS BACK, and that's for the best. Welcome sarcastic descriptions, infuriating and hilarious comments, smartass answers!

"Twenty miles, and it took us only an hour and fifteen minu
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

You wanted to play? Well, hide-and-seek is over. Let the real games begin, motherfucker.

I can't say this is exactly what I wanted it to be....because it wasn't. But not for one minute did I not enjoy it. Is that weird? This book took me a week to read, which doesn't bode well for what I thought of it-But then I take into account how busy, tired, meh I've been and it about evens out with my mood. The verdict?? When I felt a distance at the beginning, I should have stopped.

I drank some more B
William
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lehane has produced an almost-final Kenzie and Gennaro story that refrained from outright stupidity, and continued to surprise us in small ways. The plotting is good, after a bit of a slow start, and moves along well, dragging us happily with it as usual. This was much better than I had feared.

The tragedy of Karen's death is presented so well. I felt the pain and loss, as I always do when bright young people are hurt or lose their way. Patrick's sense of honour is keen, as usual, and s
Kemper
Sep 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patrick and Angie have gone up against a lot of very bad people in their time as detectives. They’ve tangled with gang members, serial killers, the Irish and Italian mob, a religious cult, corrupt politicians, child molesters, and a variety of other evil sons-of-bitches. In Prayers for Rain, they meet their most sadistic and diabolical villain yet.

Angie has gone to work for another detective agency, and Patrick is operating solo. Without Angie around, he’s losing his taste for the job, though. H
Mara
After finishing the fifth in his exploits of Kenzie & Gennaro, I can confidently say that Dennis Lehane doesn't just have my number- dude's straight up got me on speed dial. What's more, I had my defenses up this time around. I don't forgive easily, and (to my own detriment) part of me* was still feeling petulant about my Gone, Baby, Gone -induced melancholia.

I don't trust myself to say much about this one without ruining surprises (pleasant or otherwise). There will be more Bubba Rogows
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I took a Lehane break after Gone, Baby, Gone. I needed to read lighter books with stories that didn't make me feel like breaking down or getting angry because of stupid laws that make children's lives miserable.

But I decided to read the next one when I saw that I need to return the Lehane books I had at home to the library. I could return them and then borrow them again but I thought what the heck lets at least read this one!

Anyway, this book was a lot easier to read, the story is good, really
Brandon
Patrick Kenzie is approached by a woman named Karen Nichols who asks him to scare off a stalker. After Kenzie, along with the always terrifying Bubba Rowgowski, put the fear of God into the guy, Patrick considers the matter settled. About four months later, Karen leaves a vague message on Patrick’s phone asking for help with something. In a rush, Patrick deletes the voicemail and promptly forgets about it. Not long after, Karen is found dead after an apparent suicide. Kenzie’s guilt over ignorin ...more
Perry
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, Depthless Diversion
(Funereal Fun, Oversexed Hun)
3.5 stars (4 for Lehane fans; 3 for those who haven't read his work yet)

I enjoyed this 5th in Lehane's Kenzie & Gennaro series, this one involving the unraveling of the sordid past of a seemingly prudish young woman, and finding her stalker. The main characters, Kenzie and Gennaro, seemed genuine, their dialogue charged with liveliness and undercurrents of sexual tensions, and Lehane kept the action suspenseful throughout. Yet, I found th
Richard
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
8.5/10

After enough time had passed from reading “Gone, Baby, Gone” and the sun was seeming to shine once more and the sound of children playing with puppies didn’t make me curl up into a ball and rock away until the wee hours, I decided to pick up the next Lehane novel in the Kenzie & Gennaro series to make all that misery come rushing back like it was a long lost friend.

I was actually a little surprised in this novel though as there wasn’t as much misery and depression. I mean don’t get me
Fred
Feb 13, 2018 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Poor to follow
Bill
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I don't have many regrets, but one that I do have is having watched Mystic River when I did.
I had been very familiar with Dennis Lehane at the time, and the opportunity came to see the movie even though I hadn't read the book yet. Call it a weak moment, but I went ahead and watched it. I loved it, and only later realized it is considered his best work.
Of course, I can't read it now, at least until I've totally forgotten the movie.

So until then, I'm picking through his work, and I've very much en
Jim
What started off as another excellent Lehane book was ruined by the last couple of pages for me, unfortunately. Still, up until then, it had been great. The mystery is convoluted, thought-provoking & keeps the suspense going strong. We get to see a lot more of & find out more about Bubba. That right there makes it worth reading. I got a little tired of Kenzie's flashes of brilliance. I would have preferred he just reason it out soundly.

Unfortunately, Lehane had to take the case an extra
Nandakishore Varma
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Asghar Abbas
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Awesome penultimate offering ;
featuring the reunion we wanted.

If you want to read a series you can enjoy over and over again, with great characters and characterization, then Lehane is your guy.

He is the definition of being readable. If you wanna check out contemporary fiction but typical route is not your thing, then this series is the perfect in between.

So enjoyable. So enjoy .
Corey
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Another winner by Lehane, the premise was good, the suspense was nerve-racking, but the only thing preventing me from giving this book 5 stars is the abrupt ending, other than that it was a great book!

Prayers for Rain takes place shortly after the events of Gone Baby Gone, Patrick Kenzie is now working solo, and Angie Gennaro deciding to end their partnership and their personal relationship, and is now living out of Dorchester, working for an investigative firm. Kenzie is drawn into the investig
Barbara
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SusanD, Steve, Kelly, Vanessa
Shelves: mystery
Dennis Lehane is one of my favorite mystery authors, who rarely fails to please me. In "Prayers for Rain", he has delivered another spellbinding detective story, which leaves little to the imagination. The book is certainly not for the faint of heart. Deftly plotted, it is gritty, suspenseful, often violent and offers endless surprises. The few quiescent periods in this very emotional story offer little respite from unexpected action. The suspense is further heightened at the climax with several ...more
Donna
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I loved this book. Dennis Lehane is usually a solid 4 stars for me. This one is 5 stars for a few reasons. First, I was hooked from the very beginning and I was pulled right in. I also loved the dialogue. It was nicely written and it had me laughing out loud. Humor is always a plus.

The MCs were great. They were well drawn and very personable. I liked rooting for them. When I pick up a Dennis Lehane book, I always know that the characters will be wonderful and the story will tug me along.
Eric_W
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen Nichols, a seemingly perfect prime and proper young lady, hires private detective Patrick Kenzie to warn off Cody Falk, a stalker who has a history of rape and abuse of women. Patrick and his new sidekick, Bubba, who has the face of a deranged two-year-old but with the physique of a “steel boxcar with limbs” pay Cody a visit. Bubba rearranges Cody’s car and they leave with suitable threats of potential carnage should anything happen to Karen. Six months later Karen jumps naked from a six ...more
Mike
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, fiction, mystery
Prayers for Rain get 4 Stars, had to take one away. This book was fantastic for about 290 pages. Angie, Patrick and Bubba are on the case together and they just sparkle when they get together. Patrick is on the case of a girl who committed suicide. He feels guilty because he did not answer her call for help. He is also despondent because Angie has left him for other work and love. But he gets Angie to come help him out. Finding out what happened to cause the girl to commit suicide reveals that h ...more
Priskila
I know that this is part of the series but I only have this book so I read it anyway.

Since reading Shutter Island and loving it, I try to read more of Lehane's books. And Prayers for Rain did not disappoint.

I like the book. I love the characters, Patrick, Angie and Bubba. I also really love the case. How twisted the villain is and how he played with people's mind. And the ending suprised me.

This makes me want to read more books from the series (hopefully I can read them in order). I give 4 star
John Beta
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dennis pisses me off, and that's a good thing. He has a way to make you really hate some characters. The story wasn't as tight as his other work, but still a good read to pass my commute time.
Harry
Hmmmm...someone liked one of my reviews and I checked out this person's reading list as well as their reviews and heard mention somewhere in there a sentence or two about heroes, one likeable, the other...well, more along the lines of a sociopath. Dennis Lehane, among other authors was mentioned in this respect.

As always, my curiosity was piqued, and although I checked out the other named authors I did finally settle on Dennis Lehane. It was a good decision. Perhaps one of the best reading decis
Zach
This is a good read, although not Lehane's best.

Lehane Overcomes Cliches
Anyone else this would be a standard, mediocre thriller--you have several cliched elements:
1. a psycho stalker who appears to have unlimited resources and how (it is never entirely explained why) is obsessed with his victims;
2. the "cat-mouse game" dialogue of the protagonist interacting with the villian (has become overused since Silence of the Lambs or In the Line of Fire);
3. a witty couple of detectives with some sexual
Bryce Wilson
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
And so we come to the end... I'm going to miss Kenzie and Gennaro I've been putting off this book for awhile, but well I had a train to ride and it was just staring at me.

Prayer's For Rain isn't their best outing but you can't say the crew doesn't go out with a bang.

Say this for Lehane he writes a good villain. He creates antagonists that you don't want to so much see beaten, as destroyed utterly. A good Lehane villain simply angrys up the blood in a real primal way.

So color me surprised that
Carol
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prayers For Rain by Dennis Lehane
Kenzie & Gennaro Series Book #5
3.5 Stars

From The Book:
When a former client jumps naked from a Boston landmark, Private Investigator Patrick Kenzie wants to know why. Once a perky young woman in love with life, her suicide is the final fall in a spiral of self-destruction.

What Kenzie discovers is a sadistic stalker who targeted the woman and methodically drove her to her death – a monster that the law can’t touch. But Kenzie can. He and his former partner, Ang
Teresa Proença
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-eua, e3
Gostei muito, mas apenas de metade.
Achei o enredo do caso policial bastante interessante, muito bem elaborado, com suspense e reviravoltas muito bem conseguidas.
Gostei do modo como Patrick Kenzie resolve as situações, “sem paninhos quentes”, tão ao gosto dos apreciadores de ficção policial que, por norma, acham que os direitos humanos não se aplicam aos criminosos.
A outra metade que não apreciei deveu-se a não ter lido os anteriores livros da série – “Kenzie & Gennaro” – e por isso não ente
Katie
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This felt less tightly plotted than usual. There was a bit too much of "This is what's happening, no this is, no this is!" and I don't think it quite formed a coherent whole. I still liked it, though.

(view spoiler)

Now do I read the last one
Is Prayers for Rain a stand alone book? 15 46 Dec 07, 2012 03:34PM
Whats the Order? 7 61 Oct 09, 2012 10:56AM
Plot point that bugged me 2 61 Oct 09, 2008 11:16AM
  • South of Heaven
  • Looking For Rachel Wallace (Spenser, #6)
  • When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, #6)
  • Soul Circus (Derek Strange and Terry Quinn, #3)
  • Clandestine
  • Free Fall (Elvis Cole, #4)
  • The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3)
  • Prince of Thieves
Dennis Lehane (born Aug 4th, 1966) is an American author. He has written several novels, including the New York Times bestseller Mystic River, which was later made into an Academy Award winning film, also called Mystic River, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, and Kevin Bacon (Lehane can be briefly seen waving from a car in the parade scene at the end of the film). The ...more
More about Dennis Lehane

Kenzie & Gennaro (6 books)
  • A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1)
  • Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2)
  • Sacred (Kenzie & Gennaro, #3)
  • Gone, Baby, Gone (Kenzie & Gennaro, #4)
  • Moonlight Mile (Kenzie & Gennaro,#6)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
    $7.99 $1.99
“The loneliness of another can be shocking when it lays itself bare without warning.” 3 likes
“Some ghost of myself still lived back in the days when we'd shared a bed and talked of the future. But that love we'd had and those selves we'd been were gone, placed in a box like old photographs and letters you'd never read again.” 1 likes