Start by marking “Lady of the Shades” as Want to Read:
Lady of the Shades

Lady of the Shades

Ed, an American author on the hunt for a story for his next book, arrives in London looking for inspiration. A stranger in a strange city, he's haunted by a deadly secret that refuses to stay buried, and no matter how hard he tries he cannot escape the manifest sins of his past.
What Ed wants is answers, what he finds is something he definitely didn't bargain for: the beau
Published September 2012 by Hachette Australia (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lady of the Shades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady of the Shades

Max Lau  • Maxxesbooktopia
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars-books
My thoughts: Introduction

Let us commence on this review by conversing on the fact that this book is extremely underrated and underappreciated. Honestly, this is a book that deserves many readers because of the amount of effort and work put into it. Everything from the storytelling to the writing to the structure of the characters stood out among the pile of the books that are in the similar genre and I will be ticking off the list today on why you should read this wondrous novel.

The ambience aro
Mary Bookitsa
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Καιρό είχα να πιασω τέτοιο βιβλίο στα χέρια μου. Σχιζοφρενικα ευφάνταστο με ωραια πλοκη και ένα τελος που τουλαχιστον μεχρι και 40 σελιδες πριν δεν πήγε το μυαλό μου με τίποτα. Έχει έντονο το στοιχείο του μεταφυσικού χωρίς ομως να τρομαζει τον αναγνώστη. Αν πέσει στα χέρια σας μην το αφήσετε.
Christine
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommended
What on earth is going on.

The whole book's practically just plot twists after plot twists after plot twists--so many god damn plot twist. I'd be annoyed if not for that fact that I was too impressed. Every time I'd come up with a solid idea, an explanation of sorts, Shan goes ahead and dismantles it.

So when I finally learned the truth--and gods, it was more fucked up that I could ever imagine--I just felt like banging my head on the table or flinging myself to the pacific. (In a good way.) I ju
Nancy Oakes
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction-uk
Although this book is anything but standard crime fiction fare, I've come to realize that sometimes pulling away from the formulaic and reading outside the box can produce some eye-opening moments. Lady of the Shades turned out to be as twisty as a sack full of Philly pretzels; I actually thought I'd had it figured out a couple of times but alas it was not to be. Sadly I can't really get into why this book is so twisty without giving away the show, but I will say that just when you think things ...more
Ali
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
کاملا شکه کننده
Dan
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
This is one of Darren Shan's adult books and it feels very different to the children's work. It revolves around Ed, a horror writer who comes to London to work on a new book, with his own personal ghosts tagging along, quite literally. There he falls in love with a woman who turns out to be a gangster's wife. Ed falls head over heels for her but from the day he meets her, nothing is as it seems.

The first half of the book is well written but quite slow-going, but it's necessary to build up to th
ΔΕΣΠΟΙΝΑ Ντρέκη
Είναι ένα μεταφυσικό αστυνομικό θρίλερ που δεν το βαριέσαι ούτε στιγμή. Ένας αμερικανός συγγραφέας θρίλερ πηγαίνει στο Λονδίνο για να βρει έμπνευση για το καινούργιο του βιβλίο, με τις ερινύες να τον κυνηγούν σε κάθε του βήμα. Εκεί θα βρεί τον έρωτα, την απογοήτευση και θα βυθιστεί ακόμη περισσότερο στις σκιές του ψέματος και του θανάτου. Από τη μέση και μετά του βιβλίου οι ανατροπές είναι τόσο γρήγορες και αναπάντεχες, που μαζί με τον πρωταγωνιστή χάνεις τα αυγά και τα πασχάλια. Κι εδώ φαίνεται ...more
Primadonna
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am disappointed. Perhaps because I expected more from Darren Shan. The character seems naive and juvenile, in spite of his past. He got conned oh so many times. Even though he is supposed to be mature... 40? I somehow feel like Ed is in his teens or early twenties.

Even the twists are too obvious. It's OK if the book is for teens or children, but for adults, I was expecting more subtle hints.
Sara Shaw
Darren Shan has done it again!!
This is one hell of a book. Fascinating, twisted, geniously plotted and awesome!!!
LOVE this!!!

SPOILERS. DO NOT READ.

OK. This starts with an assassin called Dash murdering a guy he was hired to kill, then he gets this message from one of his previous employers to kill a loved one or her lover or both.
The scene shifts to Ed, a writer who is haunted by ghosts (we later know why). He goes to London and starts meeting up with a guy he met over the internet, who help
Yami
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
ok this was waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the last adult trilogy Darren Shan wrote, liked it more, full of twists till the end, ya i figured it out in the 2/3 of it,but still i was anxious to know if i was right,
great plot, good twist,no dull moment. Darren Shan did it again.
and i have extra love for the cover.
Amir  Arman
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
پیشرفت بسیار کند
متن تا ۷۰ درصد ابتدایی بسیار لوس و خشک
۳۰ درصد پایانی بسیار تلاش شد پیچیدگیهای دارن شانی داشته باشه که خیلی افتضاح ناکام موند
یک لکه ضعف درست حسابی تو کارتامه دارن شان به نظرم
Derpa
DNF at about 30%.
I just don't really like books like this. It's kind of meh, I feel it's predictable and just not very exciting.
S.B. Wright
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lady of the Shades is Darren Shan’s return to writing for adults. Shan is more well known for his children's series Cirque Du Freak and Demonata, but has previously written The City trilogy for adults and mature teens.

Lady of the Shades is a standalone title and skirts the edges of a number of genres, making it an interesting and enjoyable piece with wide appeal.

The Times lauded it as “Utterly unputdownble”, an appellation or sentiment much overused in the marketing of books. It was, however, a
BookLoversLife
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I found Lady Of The Shades hard to get into starting off it more than made up for it in the second half of the book. We start off with meeting Ed ,an ex-marine and now horror writer, who is invited to London to write his next book by Joe, who Ed met in a fan group online. Ed is plagued by ghosts, they constantly follow him everywhere. Joe invites Ed to a boat party but pulls out at the last minute and Ed decides to go on his own. He meets Deleena Emerson and they hit it off. He quickly fin ...more
Lör K.
This is an adult horror book from talented and renowned young adult horror writer, Darren Shan.

When I found this in the library by pure chance, I immediately got it out and dived right into it.

Lady of the Shades is a lot different to what I would normally expect from Shan. I have no doubts this is because Shan is a young adult author more than anything, and to read him writing in a more adult style was a little distracting. I found that it all flowed really well, but I wasn't enjoying it as much
Paul McAvoy
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read several of Darren Shan’s YA books over the years. This might seem strange, me clutching at my forties for sheer death. Maybe Old Adult might best suit me! I find his YA horror books short and snappy, sharp-fanged critters that sink their teeth in quickly. I didn’t really fancy reading his adult books, thinking I might be disappointed. But with Lady of the Shades I was far from disappointed.

Lady of the Shades centres around American horror writer Ed Sieveking and how he falls in love
Becka Hamill
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic novel from a fantastic writer.

Darren Shan has certainly thought of everything in this grand tale of Ed Sieveking, an American author who travels to London to find inspiration for his next book. Full of unexpected twists and turns, you can never really guess what is going to happen next in this fantastically engaging novel.

Whilst trying, and constantly failing, to guess the final outcome of Lady of the Shades, Darren Shan manages to draw your hope and faith wholeheartedly into Ed's c
Sinead Donnelly
I hadn't read any Darren Shan since his Cirque du Freak days, so I was excited to be revisiting one of my favourite childhood authors.

It reminded me a lot of 'The Woman in the Fifth' (Douglas Kennedy) at times, and overall it was a decent read. It pretty much only slipped from being 4 stars for me, as the constant twists and turns got a little exhausting after a while.

That said... I really, really, wanted to find out the conclusion of it all... And damn, it's a good one.
Reem
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Allow yourself to be manipulated, surrender to this book. Albeit it had some pacing problems and it took a while for the story to actually kick in, it definitely was worth the ride.

(view spoiler)
Rebecca eley
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-cult-fiction
I was so happy to find another grown up Darren Shan book after loving the City of the Dead Trilogy. This did not disappoint. I did not see the end of the book coming.
Dawn
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow! Talk about twists and turns. One moment I thought I had it all solved, the next it was all discredited. Bloody brilliant!
Nassie Beara
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic novel, brilliantly constructed, allows the reader to question reality to fiction as well as keeping them entertained. Would definitely recommend.
Shiku
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ed stays in London because of a research for his new book, but he never would have guessed what awaits him there even though he knows every trick in the book, literally. He’s an author who writes about ghosts. He has his own, very personal reasons for that and doesn’t even know himself whether he is crazy or not.
When he meets the mysterious Deleena at a party, he is instantly interested in her. The more time they spend together, the more he realizes that there is much he doesn’t know – which inc
Harley
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
An interesting read, a different read to darren shans YA books for sure. First half is slow however if you push through it there are plenty of plot twists to leave you wanted more in the second half. Go in with an open mind though as its a weird one.
Asmos
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-home, g-mystery
Der Horrorautor Ed Sieveking reist nach London, um Material für sein neuestes Buch zu recherchieren. Begleitet wird er von den Geistern seiner Vergangenheit, die realer sind, als ihm lieb ist. Als er auf einer Party die schöne Andeanna kennen lernt scheinen diese aber für kurze Zeit vergessen. Ed ist gefangen von dieser Frau, doch schon bald wird klar, dass ihre Liebe für sie beide ein gefährliches, vielleicht sogar ein tödliches Spiel sein kann.

Wieder ein Buch, bei dem ich den Klappentext vie
Sean Harding
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent stand alone horror/thriller from Darren Shan, who on this occasion has branched into more adult literature rather than his normal teen, although the difference is not great.
Nice twists and a good resolution make this a good read.
Despite the genre not being one of my favourites around Shan continues to impress.
Tommy
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
See the original review here: http://justanotherbooknerd.tumblr.com...

The first book I am going to be discussing might as well be the last book that I read.

Makes sense huh?

Lady of the Shades is the first foray into the exciting world of adult fiction by the acclaimed teenage horror writer Darren Shan.

Those familiar with Shan’s style will notice some fairly obvious similarities with his older works, namely the use of first person and the all too compelling plots that he somehow manages to keep wh
Arthur Derek
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I loved the Saga of Darren Shan when I was younger and the Demonata series was pretty awesome too until the ending. This book, however, made me feel very disappointed.

There are alot of "twists" throughout but unfortunately I did not feel it was up to par as an adult novel. When I got to the end I was very dissatisfied. Darren Shan has a very good imagination and maybe his teenage fiction will always outshine other attempts he makes.

I did not get the same feelings towards the characters he port
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Another brilliant tale from Darren Shan, its great how well he can write not only teenage horror stories but also stories for adults.
This story had so many twists and turns to the plot I could never guess what was going to happen next or how it was going to end. Each time the plot turned around again you would think, so all that previous idea was wrong but this is how it actually is and then Shan would turn the plot on its head again disregarding that idea too. You spend the majority of the book
  • The Evil And The Pure
  • Into the Night (Amsterdam Quartet,  #2)
  • The Lost
  • My Last Confession
  • The Return Part II & The Last Story (Remember Me, #2-3)
  • The Edge Of Madness (Harry Jones, #2)
  • How the Trouble Started
  • You Will Never Find Me (Charles Boxer #2)
  • Mall
  • Spring Remains
  • Vampire Assassin (Jane #1)
  • Wink Murder
  • Dead Stars - Part Two (Emaneska #4)
  • The Long Fall
  • Masaryk Station (John Russell, #6)
  • Irresistible
  • London Calling (Inspector Carlyle #1)
  • Empire of Bones
Librarian's note: Also writes books for adults under the name Darren Dash. And in the past he has released books for adults under the names D.B. Shan and Darren O'Shaughnessy.

Darren Shan (born July 2, 1972 in London, England) is the pen name of the Irish author Darren O'Shaughnessy, as well as the name of the protagonist of his book series The Saga of Darren Shan, also known as The Cirque Du Freak
“I know that no matter how lonely I get, I'll never be truly alone again. Our loved ones don't leave us. They just move out of sight for a while, and wait...in the shades.” 5 likes
“What use was money if you didn't have the time to enjoy it?” 2 likes