Start by marking “The Other Side of the Mountain: The Story of Jill Kinmont” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of the Mountain: The Story of Jill Kinmont

The Other Side of the Mountain: The Story of Jill Kinmont

This memorable book is the definitve profile of courage. It tells the story of Jill Kinmont, a talented downhill skier whose Olympic success was imminent until a terrible fall in Utah rendered her a quadriplegic. But the true success of this book lies not with the representation of Jill Kinmont as a tragic heroine, but with the portrayal of her as someone whose commitment, ...more
Published December 1st 1988 by Harper Perennial (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of the Mountain, please sign up.
Diana Simons yes there is.i have seen 2 movies,that were made from the story of The Other Side of the Mountain #1 & #2

Start your review of The Other Side of the Mountain: The Story of Jill Kinmont
Lennie
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Skiing was everything to Jill Kinmont. She learned to ski on Mammoth Mountain near her hometown of Bishop, California and after two years was good enough to race. She put in the hard work and eventually she won a National Championship. When the Olympics seemed like a real possibility she launched herself into a training program that included working out during the summer time. The selection for the next US Women’s Olympic team would come from the competitors in the Snow Cup Race based on their ...more
Ursula
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction

Oh, WOW! Another book I ran across that I have read, but have not put in my collection here. I know there are many, many more that I have not added here--I need to get that rectified soon. I remember this being very inspiring and big time to me. I was maybe in the 8th grade when I read it. Another wonderful part of my past that I am glad has caught up with me! :)
Bren
This was a reread.

I first read this book in High school. It is about Jill Kinmont, an Olympic downhill skier, who tragically lost the use of much of her body as a result of a skiing accident. This is a true story..Non fiction.

I adored this book when it came out and time has not taken away any of my enjoyment of this book. Jill Kinmont was so inspirational..I remember as a kid, just being awed by her. Another person would have folded up, given up in those circumstances. Jill handles everything
Kristi
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book both as a skier and as an occupational therapist. In a world where mass media pities people with spinal cord injuries I think that it would be an excellent experience for anyone to read this book and to learn that there is life after injury and often it is excellent despite the difficulty.
Michele
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in my 20s and the inspiration and courage shown by Jill Kilmont has never left me. Every few years I checked in on (via computer) her to see how she was until 2012 when she passed away at age 75- that is how much she impacted my life. Despite being paralyzed from the neck down she lived a full and inspiring life. This book would be a great read for any adult but also for young ladies getting ready to go out and face the scary world on their own.
Sherilyn
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book many years agon and loved it. Great motivational book
Joy
Apr 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Read this many years ago - it's good and so is the movie.
Mary Archibald
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Want to read this one again.
Diane Waddington
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book detailing a champion skiers tragedy that was turned into a life as a teacher.
Janet
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Read this years ago...
Laura Wouden
"The inspiring story of Jill Kinmont" In this story there are two best friends, Jill Kinmont and Audra Jo Nicholson. They were always together so people assumed they were sisters. The story takes place in Bishop, California in 1950’s. The Kinmont family owned the Rocking K Ranch. People came there to hunt, fish, swim, ride horses, and camp. Jill and Audra Jo worked in the restaurant. In the winter, Jill and Audra Jo skied at Mammoth Mountain. Jill and her brother were really good skiers and ...more
Lisa Parker
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was my favorite book when I was a 13. I thought she was so sporty and beautiful. How one moment can change a life forever. Jill Kinmont is an inspiration. My mother approved. I was reading Carrie by Stephen King at the same time. It had just come out and kids at school were lining up to read it. She wasn't likable, nor was anybody else in the book really. When i was reading Carrie, I had it hidden within Jill Kinmont's story. My mother, as I knew she would, went ballistic when she found it ...more
Greg
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Unsentimental and somewhat self-centered account of Jill Kinmont's skiing accident that left her paralyzed. I read it, and appreciated it as a strong story of a strong man, but it didn't grab me the way others of this sort have. It was more factual than powerful storytelling. I would like to see what kind of book she would write on her own (no co-author)...I suspect it would be more wise and other-centric, more humble and service-focused, and more conscious of her integration with the world ...more
Edy
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Years ago I was doing some professional development in Bishop, California, and met Jill Kinmont. She was such an inspiring teacher and such a lovely person that as soon as I returned home, I read the book that chronicles her skiing accident and then the courage and determination that she used to turn such a tragedy into something that was positive. I loved the book. Now, 30 years after reading it, I am still inspired by the memories I have of both the book and Ms. Kinmont. This is a book that ...more
Callie Norse
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book, which I read years ago. It tells the story of Jill Kinmont, a talented downhill skier whose Olympic success was imminent until a terrible fall in Utah rendered her a quadriplegic. But the true success of this book lies not with the representation of Jill Kinmont as a tragic heroine, but with the portrayal of her as someone whose commitment, dedication, drive, and determination have enabled her to succeed at life, despite the tremendous obstacles she has faced.

I
Yaaresse
Standard "I read this, but damned if I can remember exactly when or why or enough about it to make detail comments" disclaimer:
My rating is based solely on my memory of how much or little I enjoyed the book at that time. In some cases, "at that time" might mean before most Goodreads users were born. Then again, it could mean a couple years ago and that I have a lousy memory.

Your mileage may vary. Heck, given how all our tastes change over the years and the fickle nature of memory, my own
Lisa
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Aspiring athletes and people wallowing in self-pity.
"She was a world-class athlete one minute; the next minute, she was a quadriplegic paralyzed from the neck down." Fantastic true story of brave Jill Kinmont, Olympic skier-almost. Pretty much unflinching, sad, funny, uplifting, and courageous. Usually those things keep me away in droves, but I love this book and rooted for Jill. I kept wishing it had never happened, if only, if only. Talk about never knowing what fate has in store. And the TV movie is as good a portrayal of the book as it gets.
Andrea Fife
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
While the occurrences chronicled in this book may have been interesting in isolation, Valens ties them together in an altogether boring way. Details frequently seemed misplaced, and repeated facts that often felt luke foreshadowing generally led nowhere. I did not care for the chronological method used to recount this personal history.
KennyO
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
People love to wallow in sentiment. Well, you won't get that opportunity from Jill Kinmont. She took mighty little time to feel sorry for herself but moved on with determination to do those things she could. Valens does yeoman service in telling Kinmont's story although the book ended before her achievements did.
Soccer.10
This book has become my favorite book. The plot is so nice where you see a strong person go weak but come back to have a very large purpose, helping children learn so they can grow up to have a purpose to.
Caitlyn Maye
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. It is was so interesting and filled with drama. The story teaches you that you can overcome anything if you really try. It is a perfect book to read if you are in search for inspiration and hope.
Pamela
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this 1975 edition in the high school library where I work. I had no idea what it was about until I started reading it! The only draw back for me is that Jill Kinmont doesn't recognize her creator. It's a easy, engaging read.
Leann
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: survival
I loved this book it is one of my all time favorites. The story of the skier and how she handles tragedy. There is no sugar coating, it is really hard. But she does it.
Kimberly
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this after seeing the movie. Inspirational.
Jaime Contreras
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
This is a touching story of jill Kinmount's skiing injury, therapy and journey back. It is rather slow-moving but the emotional exchanges will draw you in.
Maxwell
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
a very good story i loved it so try it if you like a good book
Dorothy
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good story that I have reread from way back when! The story of Jill Kinmont the skiing star who fell and was paralyzed from the shoulders down in 1955.
Susy
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book more than 3 decades ago but I remember being very moved by this story.
Rosemary
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I saw this movie twice in the 70's. It is a true story and is very inspiring. I want to see if the book is as good as the movie.
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
while Jill's courage and heart are commendable, I felt that this book could have been much more riveting. It took me a very long time to slog through it!

• Mommie Dearest
  • Karen
  • Sunshine
  • Brian's Song
  • The Family Nobody Wanted
  • The Other
  • Gandhi on Non-Violence
  • It's Always Something
  • The Life And Words Of Martin Luther King Jr.
  • One Day in the Desert
  • The Lord God Made Them All
  • One Day in the Woods
  • Eric
  • Incredible animal adventures
  • Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job
  • Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34
  • The INFP Book: The Perks, Challenges, and Self-Discovery of an INFP
  • Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares #4)
“How lucky I am to have known somebody and something that saying goodbye to is so damned awful.” 8557 likes