Start by marking “The Hastur Cycle” as Want to Read:
The Hastur Cycle

The Hastur Cycle

(Call of Cthulhu Fiction)

The stories in this book evoke a tracery of evil rarely rivaled in horror writing. They represent the whole evolving trajectory of such notions as Hastur, the King in Yellow, Carcosa, the Yellow Sign, the Black Stone, Yuggoth, and the Lake of Hali. A succession of writers from Ambrose Bierce to Ramsey Campbell and Karl Edward Wagner have explored and embellished these conc ...more
Published December 1st 1993 by Chaosium

To ask other readers questions about The Hastur Cycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hastur Cycle

Nancy Oakes
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: weird
nb: I have outlined the contents of each story in this book (without spoilers) at my reading journal blog, so if you are interested, feel free to click here.

Some time ago, long before HBO's True Detective was even in the works, I read S.T. Joshi's Chaosium collection of Robert W. Chambers' The Yellow Sign and Other Stories. It was my introduction to King in Yellow, and I was hooked. I had to have more. After doing a little research, I realized that this book (which I already owned) would be a
Robert
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are only two questions which any mythos fan should have about this book: Are the stories any good and does the collection provide considerable illumination regarding the nature of Hastur? The answer is a resounding 'yes' to the former and a resounding 'kinda' to the latter.

Although one can hardly blame editor Rober M Price for adhering to the highest standards of quality when selecting tales for this first of Chaosium's 'Cycle' books, the connections between the alien Mi-go and Hastur are
Spencer
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book ought to be a model for how to properly assemble an anthology of short stories. Unlike other collections that contain high-quality work but are thrown together slap-dash with no real editorial effort(I'm looking at you, Book of Cthulhu books I and II), Chaosium has provided a linear, analytic framework for the stories featured in this collection that leaves the reader feeling as if they grasp the historical and cultural context surrounding the works rather than receiving them as indepe ...more
Marquis
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The River of Night's Dreaming" alone makes this book worth it. There are plenty of eerie stories in here and fans of Lovecraft's Mythos and Chamber's King in Yellow stories should find a lot to enjoy. "Haita the Shepherd" by Ambrose Bierce is wonderfully surreal when it's placed in context with the rest of these stories. It's definitely worth a read and I'll be posting synopses of some of the individual stores on Antique Horrors. Those synopses tend to have spoilers, so I won't post them here.
Coeruleo Luna
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the better books in the chaosium series in my opinion. hastur the unspeakable is one of the most intriguing great old ones and this book shows you where lovecraft's inspiration came from for this character. i think this collection is not just entertaining but the idea for the book itself is well executed, being the most important hastur stories out there and not just a bunch of filler material to pump out another book.
Octavio Villalpando
Interesante antología enfocada a textos relacionados con una de las figuras del panteon de Dioses Lovecraftnianos míticos, en este caso, el Innombrable Hastur... incluye relatos de Bierce, Chambers, Lovecraft, Campbell, etc. Todos ellos muy interesantes aunque a veces la relación se pierde un poco o se siente algo forzada. Es interesante como expansión del universo creado por Lovecraft y sus colaboradores para el Ciclo de Cthulhu. ¡Recomendable!
Alexander Case
I'm "lem"-ing this book.
Dean
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
From the shores of Leng,to the towers of Dim Carcosa the King of Yellow sits on his tattered throne..
Doug Kallies
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!
Thee_ron_clark
The Hastur Cycle is a collection of short stories connected to H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. This particular collection revolves around Hastur as a god, a city, and finally a Great Old One.

I will try to break down my thoughts on each story briefly.

1. In Haita the Shepherd, Hastur is the god of the shepherds. A dutiful shepherd begins to lose faith in Hastur and question things about his life when a beautiful stranger appears before him.

This was not so much a horror story, but a fable of sorts
Sean Anderson
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid collection of weird stories that are tantalizingly linked over almost a century of the genre. I particularly liked The Return of Hastur by August Derleth. Comments from Editor Robert Price add intriguing historical and literary perspective to the proceedings. I look forward to reading more collections in this series.
Courteny
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad, but not the best. I've never been a big fan of The King in Yellow, but I own it anyway for the collection. It's not a BAD book, but it's nothing out of this world either, at least in my opinion.
Matt
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
A collection of weakly-linked horror tales of vastly variable quality. Some of them are very poor indeed, and most of the better ones are already available to read out of copyright. The context sheds light on the evolution of "Hastur" as a concept, but not as a creature in itself.
Tonk82
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Aviso de que no he leido el volúmen entero, porque la mitad de relatos ya los había leido muy recientemente. Pero aprovecho a comentarlo un poco porque es un recopilatorio muy raro. Tiene como tres partes muy diferenciadas:

-2 relatos de Ambrose Bierce, 2 de Chambers, 1 de Arthur Machen, 1 de James Blish y uno de Edward Wagner... que siguen la estela de "El rey de amarillo" de Robert Chambers. Salvo el de Wagner, ya los conocía todos y son estupendos (los de Chambers los reseñé hace poco).

-"El su
Andrew
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, fiction
Fungi from Yuggoth!
Helmut
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Iä! Iä!
Chambers "Repairer of Reputations" gehört für mich mit zum Erschreckendsten, was die Gruselliteratur hervorgebracht hat - wenn man sich auf diesen literarischen Grusel einlassen kann. Dazu kommen ein paar Geschichten, die in eine ähnliche Kerbe schlagen und sehr, sehr lesenswert sind, allen voran Karl Edward Wagners "The River of Night's Dreaming", das ohne Mühe sogar Lovecrafts "The Whisperer in Darkness" übertrifft. Dazu ein bisschen Bierce, ein bisschen Machen, die zwar nur aufgrund de
Ian Casey
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hastur Cycle would be worthy of a footnote in weird fiction history by virtue of being the first in the now extensive list of fiction titles published by Chaosium. Thankfully it's worthwhile for rather more than that.

Robert M. Price says some eyebrow-raising things from time to time but in editing this volume he's at his least controversial (at least, I would expect so from my reading) and most insightful. To put it in my words rather than his, what he's quite sensibly done is to give a sens
Sylri
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I think this book does a nice job introducing the Hastur/King in Yellow Mythos. I think Price did a good job showing the lineage of stories that has lead to the modern day incarnation of Hastur. Price's notes were insightful and interesting to read.
Unfortunately, there were some stories that seemed thinly linked to Hastur. These are namely the 3 Mi-Go stories that follow Lovecraft's 'Whisperer in Darkness'. Machen's 'Novel of the Black Seal' (though a wonderful story) is also only in th
Gaze Santos
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Could be considered a "classic" of the Chaosium series. A pretty solid collection of literary and pulp stories surrounding "Hastur." The sequence of the anthology traces the origins and development of this particular mythos. From the romantic and fable-like works of Ambrose Bierce, to the currently popular incarnation of "The King in Yellow" created by Robert Chambers, to the intergalactic transmutation as "The Feaster from Afar" hailing from planet Yuggoth. Lovecraft's famous story "Whisperer i ...more
Andrew
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This like the previous mysteries of the worm - is part of the Chaosium collection of fiction supporting their Call of Cuthulhu role playing game. (I have many a fond memory of scaring the wits out of my fellow players back in the days before D&D make it all a little embarrassing). One thing that I didn't mention when describing the Mysteries of the Worm was that along with the various authors, themes even characters have been the subjects of these collection and this is the case of the Hastu ...more
Christopher Sutch
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been very impressed by Price's anthologies for Chaosium, and this terrific set of tales devoted to Robert Chambers's _King in Yellow_ (as well as Lovecraft's related story "The Whisperer in Darkness") does not disappoint. Every time I have the opportunity to read Chambers's work from that particularly volume (_King in Yellow_ was his second book) I enjoy it more and more. So, in this anthology, I enjoyed (again) two of Chambers's stories and the stories of others that elaborate on his ori ...more
Dominique Lamssies
This book has an interesting selection of stories, but anyone wanting to read it needs to know that the focus is H.P. Lovecraft's "Whisperer in Darkness" not any fiction by Chambers. The story starts with a nice selection of stories that inspired and is based on Chambers's actual work, then it veers off into showing the influence of "Whisperer In Darkness" and ties Hastur in to the Mi-Go. Fine for Lovecraftian Mythos fans, not so hot for Chambers fans.
John Hepple
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very special anthology of Cthulhu Mythos/ King In Yellow stories. As with many of the Chaosium anthology books the selected stories can be a little hit or miss, but I was glad to find that this contained more of the former rather than the latter.

The Bierce, and of course, Chambers stories were the standouts though there were plenty of juicy cosmic horror nuggets to keep any mythos fans happy.
The Artificer
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
While this collection has some real Hastur-related highlights (which can easily be found elsewhere) many of the works found in this collection are at best tangentially related to Hastur himself. It seems to be a common issue in the later books in the Cycle series.

As a Weird Fiction collection it is quite strong, as a "Mythos" collection it is, at best, average.
Brian Hollingsworth
Hastur was never my favorite 'Outer Being' in Lovecraft's Mythos but I tackled this one out of a sense of completeness. Many of the stories in this anthology are pretty heavy on allegory, imagery and symbolism so dont expect and easy nor quick read but the horror an alien-ness run deep!
April
Sep 17, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Ugh. Absolutely useless.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
A collection of stories based on the writings of H.P. Lovecraft. These are, to me, only slightly better than the original Lovecraft stories. Just not a fan of his writings. Not recommended
Jeffery Russell
Feb 28, 2012
Chris
Jan 10, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: Correction and combining needed 12 30 Jan 18, 2015 11:39PM

• Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror
  • Shotguns v. Cthulhu
  • A Rendezvous in Averoigne
  • Cthulhu 2000
  • Cthulhu's Reign
Robert McNair Price is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary, is professor of biblical criticism at the Center for Inquiry Institute, and the author of a number of books on theology and the historicity of Jesus, asserting the Christ myth theory.

A former Baptist minister, he was the editor of the Journal of Higher Criticism

Call of Cthulhu Fiction (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Shub-Niggurath Cycle: Tales of the Black Goat with a Thousand Young (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror
  • The Azathoth Cycle: Tales of the Blind Idiot God
  • The Book of Iod: Ten Tales of the Mythos
  • The Dunwich Cycle: Where the Old Gods Wait (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Cthulhu Cycle: Thirteen Tentacles of Terror
  • The Necronomicon: Selected Stories and Essays Concerning the Blasphemous Tome of the Mad Arab
  • Disciples of Cthulhu