Start by marking “The Other Side of War: Women's Stories of Survival & Hope” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of War: Women's Stories of Survival & Hope

The Other Side of War: Women's Stories of Survival & Hope

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Zainab Salbi's media profile soared with her first book, Between Two Worlds, a memoir of growing up in Saddam Hussein's inner circle. She has been a guest on "Oprah," has been interviewed by Katie Couric, Al Franken, and George Stephanopoulos, and has been profiled in the New York Times, The Washington Post, and People magazine. Her organization, Women for Women Internatio ...more
Published September 19th 2006 by National Geographic Society

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side of War

Kara
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-science
Over a year ago I read Zainab Salbi's book "Between Two Worlds", that is how I became introduced to her work in Women for Women International. She instantly became my modern day hero. If there is anyone I would want to meet and have a cup of coffee with, it is Zainab Salbi. "The Other Side of War" couldn't be more appropriately titled. It is such a blessing that this organization, Women for Women, has provided a place for these women who were afraid to speak out before, can now have their voices ...more
Lynde
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Lynde by: susie
Shelves: helping
a gripping load of tales from amazing women. if you ever want to feel fortunate read this book. if you ever want to help, read this book. if you ever want to feel like you have power in your life, read this book.
Kelly
Jan 27, 2010 rated it liked it
I think because of all the good reviews my friends gave this book I was expecting more from it. I still liked it, but I felt like the stories never got as in depth as I would like and the actual format of the book (short and wide) made it hard to hold to read.
Lataun
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a coffee table book. Wish I had a coffee table to put it on. It's a compilation of short stories about women surviving...(I guess that's in the title). Very inspiring.
Katie
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This project is so intensely beautiful. I love the photography, and the tragedy these women have endured is heartbreaking. The book is sectioned by location/country/region. There is a short historical description of the war and suffering in each country, and then several women share their stories and dreams. They write about what they have overcome, and how they discovered self-love. (Powerful stuff.)

I became interested in these inspiring stories after reading Half the Sky, which moved me so de
Nardine Swaidah
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I remember once when I was torn away from my family and home because of war in Iraq. We constantly lived in fear... I've always felt that life have been so unfair. We paid the price of a war that was never owners. But after reading this book I realized that afterall I was so lucky. Nothing is compared to the stories of these women, neither to their strength and courage. This book is an eye opener to the real side of war... Every man and woman should read it and understand that war isn't only abo ...more
Sandy
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
After reading Zainab's "Between Two Worlds" I immediately researched her organization Women for Women International. This book captures stories and pictures of women who have survived terribly trying times and have been touched by the Women for Women International organization. The mix of images and words truly brings these women's stories to life. Along with Zainab, each and every woman is inspiring in her own way. I cannot wait until I have a steady career and am able to sponsor a woman throug ...more
Kaleena Menke
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
excellent. really, really excellent. I found this book after reading Zainab Salbi's first book: Between two worlds-escape from tyranny-living in the shadow of Sadaam. Zainab founded Women for Women International and many of the stories featured in this book were possible because of the work of this organization.
"Stronger women build stronger nations."
"I think in today's world there is a field between the worlds of war and peace, and women are meeting there."
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking yet inspiring, this book shows how much modern wars have affected women.
I love these opening lines from the book:
"What is happening in Africa and elsewhere is because the men did not listen to the women, and the women did not listen to the women either, and because the people did not listen to each other and themselves, and because nobody listened to the children and the poets"
Alice Walker
Kate
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
A National Geographic book, a sobering read but one that does help show the resilience of women after horrific traumas, in Colombia, Sudan, Rwanda, the former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Worth the read, esp. for people interested in human rights and women's issues.
Christina
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I can't even begin to understand the things that went on in the lives of these women. But I feel like I gained a little knowledge about the effects war has on women in these developing countries. I would like to look into the women to women organization to see if there's something I can do to help. The book was very moving for me.
Keshia
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The photos were exactly what you would expect from a National Geographic book and the stories were heart felt and interesting.
Liam Arne
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Simply astounding. Stunning. Gorgeous. Painful. Terrifying. Tragic. It was all of these adjectives and more. I am quite thankful to have read this book.
Chanti
Moving, strong, sad, hopeful, devastating, brilliant, horrible, intensely personal. I cried ... and smiled. Sigh. What an incredible compilation of stories.
Lindsay Wilson
adiraf
Mar 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa's Worst Human Rights Crimes
  • From Outrage to Courage: The Unjust and Unhealthy Situation of Women in Poor Countries and What They Are Doing About It
  • Wild Women: Crusaders, Curmudgeons, and Completely Corsetless Ladies in the Otherwise Virtuous Victorian Era
  • Ascent of Women
  • The Prince of Darkness: Radical Evil and the Power of Good in History
  • Robert Doisneau. 1912-1994
  • After Photography
  • Rumi's Little Book of Life: The Garden of the Soul, the Heart, and the Spirit
  • The Plant Hunters: True Stories of Their Daring Adventures to the Far Corners of the Earth
  • Folklore and Symbolism of Flowers, Plants and Trees
  • A People's Art History of the United States: 250 Years of Activist Art and Artists Working in Social Justice Movements
  • Return From Heaven: Beloved Relatives Reincarnated Within Your Family
  • Three Genres: The Writing of Poetry, Fiction, and Drama
Zainab Salbi is an Iraqi American writer, activist and social entrepreneur who is co-founder and president for Women for Women International.
More about Zainab Salbi

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis