Start by marking “The Butterfly & The Bull” as Want to Read:
The Butterfly & The Bull

The Butterfly & The Bull

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A global financial crash causes the destabilisation of the American government and results in a coup by the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Donnie McLennan, a Scotsman with an uncanny talent, is seeking his wife Ellie who has been abducted by agents of the state. In the process, he becomes involved in a conspiracy to restore democracy to the land of the free. Donnie goes to work fo ...more
Published October 20th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Butterfly & The Bull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Butterfly & The Bull

Frederick Brooke
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this marvelous thriller, the government of the United States has collapsed due to a world economic meltdown, and the military has taken over. Shots can be heard all over the city, even as the protagonist and his girlfriend head to a restaurant for a quiet dinner. We are one step away from martial law in our own country, and innocent people are being pulled off the street and spirited away in black SUVs on orders of the FBI.

I talked about this scenario with some friends, and we all agreed it s
C.L.R. Dougherty
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-written thriller that presents a plausible and frightening outcome for the recent global financial upheaval. The story has some interesting and amusing twists, like pitting former IRA thugs against a CIA gone bad. There's just a touch of the paranormal for added stimulation, but the story is quite believable.

As a lifelong ocean-going sailor and avid reader of thrillers, I'm a sucker for any book that claims to combine both of those things. Stuart Haddon does a great job of mixing
Douglas Wickard
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The thought-provoking element that ran central through Mr. Haddon’s debut thriller The Butterfly & The Bull was the plausibility of it all. Where would we be as a society without the creative visions of Jules Verne or George Orwell – inspired thinkers who whisked us off into future worlds for better or for worse? I sat front-and-center on Haddon’s voyage to a not too distant future and allowed my able-bodied Scottish protagonist, Donnie, to lead me as tour guide through this cyber-psychic-sc ...more
Gae-Lynn Woods
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stuart Haddon is a crafty writer. In THE BUTTERFLY AND THE BULL, he takes the very real financial meltdown the world experienced in 2008 and twists it, taking us into a state of governmental meltdown. Two factions are vying for control of the U.S., and ultimately for the world. Thanks to his special gift with computers, Donnie McLennan is drawn into the fray when his adored wife, Ellie, is kidnapped by the government. He chooses to work for the resistance, but is forced to go on the run when the ...more
Dannie Hill
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The title of Stuart Haddon’s The Butterfly and the Bull intrigued me. I also know the author is a sailor from Scotland, so I was curious. I am very happy I bought this book—I would have missed a great story if I had passed it by.

This is a story about and America of the future where the military has taken democracy away. It is a dangerous place to live for those who fight to regain freedom.

Donnie is a Scottish man living in the States and he has an unusual ability to infiltrate the internet and g
Peter Abresch
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stuart Haddon does a fine job of stringing words together. This book is set some time in the future when the FBI is controlling the United States and what information is disseminated and some Scottish independents are trying to fight them off. The story moves from Washington, to Scotland via a sailboat, to England, and back to the United States again. His take on a storm at sea rings true and Haddon's knowledge of his native Scotland and England brings it all alive. I could have easily rated th ...more
Gordon Doherty
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In a nutshell, this novel is a gem. The author weaves this tale in a relaxed, confident prose, laced with wit and charm as he dips into the psyche of the protagonist, Donnie.

Poetic licks of detail add an air of authenticity to the scenes and I really felt like I could smell, taste, hear and see everything our hero could. Added to that, the narrative tension is relentless, upheld by slap-in-the-face cliffhangers as Donnie's quest takes him across the globe.

I sincerely hope that rumours of a seq
Melissa
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action-adventure
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters (who doesn't love a man from Scotland?) and the story. It was action packed and never slowed down.

I can't wait to see what Donnie and his cohorts do next!
Eileen Slovak
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Haddon's highly visual prose draws you into the story and holds you there, in a plausible but frightening futuristic view of political maneuvering. I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Julia
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a really good read- thriller with a dystopian twist
Mitchell Sturgeon
  • Going Back Home
  • Praying to the Goddess of Mercy: A Memoir of Mood Swings
  • The Remaining Difficulty
  • Travels in Taiwan
  • The Andaluins and the Chamber of Thousands Caves (The Andaluins Saga, #1)
  • Sweet Lullaby
  • Sell Your Books!
  • Castle Falcon
  • Beyond the Magic Pill: A Collection of the Insights of Illusions
  • Romancing the Alien (Talking Dog, #1-2)
  • The Palladian Way: A Classical Walk Past the Greatest Estates of "Middle" England
  • The Antigirl Murders - Let's Begin
  • World's Collider: A Shared-World Anthology
  • Yak's Corner: Children's Stories by Artie Knapp
  • Velocity (Judd Bell & Corey Purchase, #1)
  • Amontillado
  • Can't Get Enough
  • Sparkelicious
Stuart was born and educated in Scotland. His first novel, The Butterfly & The Bull was written while walking his dog on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay. After self-publishing in October 2011, he went on to write a sequel, Flight of the Butterfly, which was self-published in 2014. He has also written several short stories and a number of poems. He is presently working on his third novel.
Stuar
More about Stuart Haddon...