Start by marking “The Guardian Review Book of Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Guardian Review Book of Short Stories

The Guardian Review Book of Short Stories

2.74  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Freebie from the Guardian, 10 previously unpublished stories.

Alice Munro, mistress of the short form, describes a story as "a world seen in a quick glancing light". From caves in Pakistan to the underground tunnels of London's Piccadilly line, each of the stories collected here takes the reader into a very different world. And just as they roam across the globe, so they tr
Published October 29th 2011 by The Guardian

To ask other readers questions about The Guardian Review Book of Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guardian Review Book of Short Stories

Ollie
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
This collection of short stories came as a free souvenir with the Guardian at the start of November 2011. Considering the calibre of authors included - Margaret Atwood, Rose Tremain, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - it's a surprisingly poor collection. The distinct feeling from the get go is that these are cast away stories the authors drudged up to let the Guardian use - the kind they would never dare use in a collection of their own. The one exception is Audrey Niffenegger's surrealist masterpiece M ...more
Quanti
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Wasn't really worth the time spent (although read mostly in the bathroom ;)) - the only good one was Moths of the New World, as it turns out, from Audrey Niffenegger, author of Time Traveller's Wife. I was interested in watching the movie some time, but considering circumstances, I'll probably go for the book.
Betheliza
This is a good and varied short story book for reading in the bath. There are a couple of stories which I would read again and again such as The Man Who Fell by Polly Samson - a simple tale whch stays with me long after I've read it.
Simon
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Absolute blinder in here from William Trevor!
Tracey
Apr 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed AudreyNiffenegger's 'Moths Of The New World', and moved on from this to her novels.
Alex
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Some little gems here, particularly those by William Trevor and Rachel Cusk. There was only one which I thought didn't work at all, by Mohsin Hamid, who wrote 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist'. All the others had some glitter and resonance.
I'm glad this is a small collection; I find too many short stories together take away from each other. The reader has to adjust to a change of style and world view with each story. The delicate magic of a good short story is easily brushed aside by the completely
Evelyn
This was a freebie with The Guardian weekend newspaper which came out recently. A good mix of contemporary short stories covering a range of genres which have elements of politics, history, romance, religion, current affairs, the environment, science-fiction etc. I mainly picked it up because Margaret Atwood had contributed a story to this collection (entitled 'Underbrush Man'), and particularly enjoyed Audrey Niffenegger's 'Moths Of The New World' and Rose Tremain's 'The Closing Door'.
John
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Very varied stories. I really liked the ones by William Trevor (An Idyll in Winter) and Rose Tremain. Had not previously read anything by William Trevor and want to try one of his novels now. I already love Rose Tremain. The Audrey Niffenegger story was a bit weird. It didn't do it for me, but others seem to like it.
Jackie
Jan 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Just strange!
Flora
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Some stories were great, some were weird.
Tatyana
Apr 09, 2012
Claire
Mar 25, 2014
Nicola
rated it did not like it
Nov 22, 2014