Start by marking “Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5)

Once Upon a Winter's Eve

(Spindle Cove #1.5)

Some wallflowers bloom at night...

A Spindle Cove Novella

Violet Winterbottom is a quiet girl. She speaks six languages, but seldom raises her voice. She endured bitter heartbreak in perfect silence. The gentlemen aren't beating down her door.

Until the night of the Spindle Cove Christmas ball, when a mysterious stranger crashes into the ballroom and collapses at Violet's f

Published November 15th 2011 by Samhain Publishing

Start your review of Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5)
Carmen
Feb 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Carmen by: Sam (AMNReader)
"Your fears of a child...?"

She shook her head. "Came to nothing. But clearly, I'm not such an angel."

"You" - he leaned forward, such as his bindings allowed - "are an angel still. The one who did this to you? He is a devil."
- 24%

SO.... ... ... This is my second Tessa Dare book. I have some things to say.

THE PREMISE:

Violet is at a ball when a wounded, dirty man stumbles in and collapses at her feet. Is he a stranger? A spy? Or her past love, come back to haunt her?

Not a bad premise. Let's break
Rachel Reads Ravenously
DNF at about 40%

I have been on a mission to read all the "unread" books on my and this book was next up in line. I honestly do not remember why I bought this book, because I haven't read any others in the series, but I was willing to give it a shot.

I felt I was missing something when reading this, so it's possibly not a standalone? Or easily read as one? The beginning was intriguing but then it took a turn and no longer held my interest.

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlogInstagramTwitter
Norah Una Sumner
❀ Cute but a bit silly. ❀

I liked Violet a lot but, however, couldn't connect with our broody hero mostly because I don't think I would ever forgive him if he treated me the way he treated Violet. Their banters were quirky and entertaining, though. This is a nice holiday-spirited novella but overall nothing special. At least not for me since it didn't move me in any way. The other novella - Beauty and the Blacksmith was a bit more interesting in my opinion.
Anne
This is a short story set in Spindle Cove about a lady who falls for a spy that washes up on shore during a Christmas dance.

description

There's a bit more to Violet and her mystery man's story than first appears and it's fun to watch it all unfold. Definitely short, but also definitely sweet.
A nice filler if you're craving a bit of Tessa Dare's trademark romance.
Warda
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mean, my heart swells every time I read one of her books.
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I'm keeping this review short and sweet, just like the book - Spindle Cove is a wonderful series, and this book is an absolute delight! Romantic, steamy, exciting and witty, a truly entertaining story!
Jill
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it

In a setting much like this one, almost a year ago. A man she'd adored for years had finally noticed her. Locked gazes with her across a crowded room, then carved his way through the throng to take her hand.

But in the end, he had proved to be a disappointment.

The Disappointment

Violet Winterbottom is clever, pretty but no beauty. She had loved her neighbour, Lord Christian Pierce, for years and finally he'd noticed her. But then with barely a word he'd left. Well, twenty-six words in a note to be
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

2,5 Stars

A very fluffy “second-chance” and Christmas themed novella, though written with the author’s usual charm and wit. And it was nice revisiting Spindle Cove's world once again.
Al George
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm gonna say this was a solid addition to the series and a decent and enjoyable holiday read. Probably one of the better ones I have read this season.
Andrea
“I take you, Violet Mary, to be my wife. To have, to hold. To love, honor, and cherish. To amuse, to pleasure, to make smile and laugh. To dance with, at every opportunity. To respect always, and tease on occasion. To confide in, whenever need be. To treasure, protect, admire-“ She couldn’t help but laugh. “I don’t think these words are in the vows.” “They’re in my vows,” he said gravely.

After a bitter disappointment, Violet Winterbottom has stopped believing in happily ever after. But one winte
Els
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely little story.
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it

Violet Winterbottom had her heart shattered. Above and beyond broken. Like that scene from Sex and the City where Carrie was broken up with via Post It note. Yeah, that bad.

So Violet does something not too many heroines in Historicals do-She grows up. She gets over him. She moves away to Spindle Cove, and realizes that she doesn't need a man to be happy.

Then a dangerous, bloody, bedraggled stranger falls at her feet (literally) and passes out. But the one
Azet
Ohow Wow..!Thrilling,hilarious and so so so sexy!!!!!!

You should read this novella directly after "A Night to Surrender" so you are not confused with the circumstances,and we follow a once again,a very unique love-story.I remember Violet Winterbottom from the first book,and i was so surprised to how spirited and passionate she was in this one.I love woman who knows what she wants.And the way she claimed her man in the near end,what a woman!

So Christian Pierce was the man who left Violet a year a
Sammy Loves Books
Adorable story with a bit of reality suspension.

Over a year ago, Violet's true love left her without saying goodbye. She fled to Spindle Cove to lick her wounds. Now she she's getting a second chance at love!!
Sam (AMNReader)
Ridiculous.

This book's premise was ridiculous too, but in this case it was so fun. It didn't try to do too much, it made you love and admire both characters. And holy sweet-talker. Could that be cheesy? If it is I don't care! It was was swoony and romantic.

(view spoiler)
Danielle (Love at First Page)
I loved this novella! A very swoony, second chance romance of sorts. The hero was beyond dreamy.
Camila (previously the opinionated Catruler)
Still not fully over this:
“During fair weather seasons, we have a schedule here in Spindle Cove. Mondays, we have country walks. Tuesdays, sea bathing. We spend Wednesdays in the garden. And on Thursdays”—she jammed a lead ball into the barrel—”we shoot.”

Shawna
4 stars – Historical/Holiday Novella

This is a delightfully engaging and romantic historical holiday novella with a great story, intriguing characters, and the perfect amount of steam to warm you up on a cold winter’s night. And for only .79 cents on Kindle, it’s a cozy read indeed.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
FREE today at Amazon US, 12/5/18!
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
I absolutely ADORED our mc, violet. she was incredibly smart and knew exactly how she deserved to be treated but not who deserved her unfortunately.

SHE DESERVED SO MUCH BETTER !!!

the love interest was just.... not it and I liked him way more before we learned his identity

this just proved that even in tessa dare books, some men ain’t shit.

STILL SO EXCITED TO GO ON THIS TESSA DARE JOURNEY BC HOLY SHIT IM IN LOVE
Hollis
This little novella was beyond adorable. Second chance romance and espionage make this little story just a bit silly and all sorts of swoony.
willaful
3.5 stars. A truly indomitable heroine is the highlight of this sweetly romantic novella. Violet Winterbottom is a determined wallflower, after a Disappointment broke her heart. But then a wounded, foreign stranger -- or is he? -- bursts into a ball and collapses at her feet, beginning an adventure that will test her mettle and bring her back to life. The story loses some of its edge after the mystery of the stranger's appearance is solved and the style is generally frothy, but Violet's strength ...more
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
A delightful Christmas reunion tale about Violet Winterbottom, a minor character from A Night to Surrender, and her story of why she's in Spinster--er, Spindle Cove. This is SO for fans of the movie Before Sunrise - it's a one night story that makes you completely fall in love with the hero and heroine. I swooned for this one.
Saint Monique
2 'The Disappointment' stars

The Disappointment - that's how the heroine called the hero. And, yes, I was disappointed too. I love Tessa Dare's book but the plot of this one is too silly. At least it was short and free, so no harm done. Oh, well. Moving on.
AvidReader
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars ⭐️.
The adventure in this was very well done. I also enjoyed the strong heroine. This was short novella but had all the right ingredients.
Recommended.
Amanda
I really wanted to love Once Upon a Winter’s Eve by Tessa Dare because I love all her books and as an author she can do no wrong for me. She still hasn’t done me wrong per se but I will say this wasn’t her best work. I could see the potential for a cool story but ultimately Once Upon a Winter’s Eve has many issues.

The biggest issue here is length. The fact that the story is a novella is not doing the narrative any favors. There needs to be much more story here for it to feel like a complete tal
Anna lost in stories *A*
This was such a lovely addition to the Spindle Cove series… I decided to give it 4,5 stars :) I recommend to read the first full length novel before diving into this one, mainly so you can get to know more about all the people from that little village :) but it’s not necessary to enjoy this story, if we’re being quite honest ;) since this is a novella, I can’t really talk about details, because that would spoil you all the things :) I couldn’t give this little gem all five stars mainly because I ...more
Stacee
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I do love the few titles I’ve read from Tessa, so when I saw this novella was free, I had to get it.

I loved Violet. She’s sassy and knows a lot of languages and has seemingly grown into an amazing woman. I love that the ladies learn to shoot. Christian was interesting and I think that’s all I have.

Plot wise, everything moved extra quick since it a novella and I think it may have hurt this story line. I couldn’t quite agree with Violet letting everything go in a matter of a few hours. Although,
Pamela
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
An adventurous little novella, with intelligent and daring leads. At one point in the story our hero is discussing tortures and says that he hadn't been able to read a book in a year (!!gasp!!)! That would be torture for me! :) All in all, a "dashing" read.
Lia
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was a very sweet short novella!!
I really enjoyed it !
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 03, 2015 09:28AM
Q&A with Tessa Dare: Once Upon A Winter's Eve Discussion Thread 1 27 Aug 28, 2012 01:46AM

• One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • A Kiss for Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • The Day of the Duchess (Scandal & Scoundrel, #3)
  • Suddenly You
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
  • The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)
  • Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellen

Spindle Cove (5 books)
  • A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)