Start by marking “A Pond Full of Ink” as Want to Read:
A Pond Full of Ink

A Pond Full of Ink

Annie M.G. Schmidt is a household name in the Netherlands, where almost everyone can sing at least one of her songs or recite a couple of lines of her poetry. The jury of the Hans Christian Andersen Award, which she won in 1988, praised her for her ironic tone, witty criticism and a style that is amusing, clear, rebellious and simple to its essence. David Colmer has produc ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Pond Full of Ink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pond Full of Ink

Betsy
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
International children’s authors are great. They’re just not particularly well known in America. There are various reasons for this. Some of it has to do with the dearth of international children’s book importing. Bringing a book over sometimes requires translation, and there’s often little hope of the writer or illustrator touring if English isn’t a second language. Then add to this the fact that all the major children’s book awards in the U.S. have to go to American residents. Once in a while ...more
Amy
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, verse, foreign
I picked this up because somewhere I read about this as a delightful Dutch Shel Silverstein and thought 'ok!' It is probably perfectly lovely in Dutch, but I am sorry to say that this will not capture my child's ear because the translation is awkward, the rhymes are forced, and the meter is absent. Even a basic limerick would be more natural and thus better received by one's hearing. What a shame because the gist of the poems are indeed childishly subversive which would otherwise delight both my ...more
Marije
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Als dit aan mij als kind was voorgelezen, had ik sommige gedichten gewoon eng gevonden.
Caleigh Lovitt
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-book
This book was full of cute and funny poems about all sorts of odd topics. It even reminded me a little bit of Shel Silverstein. The illustrations were well-done too.
F
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Those are great poems and illustrations are wonderful.
Rosi Hollinbeck
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My review from the San Francisco Book Review:
There are few picture-book poem collections that will keep both boys and girls of the eight-year-old to twelve-year-old crowd interested, but now there is a new one that will do just that. Poet Annie M. G. Schmidt is a native of the Netherlands, but is not a common household name in this country. Perhaps this book will change that. This collection of poems is silly, funny, incredibly inventive, and will make readers of all ages laugh out loud. Since t
Linda
First published in the 1970s. Quite long amusing poem stories, translated from the Dutch, reminiscent of Shel Silverstein. The author is Annie Schmidt, beloved in The Netherlands. Some might be hard to appreciate in the story line, but some show a quirky and fun sense of humor, like one titled "Furniture" when the furniture went for a walk, at least those who had "legs", and another about a family who live in a tree. The wife is concerned about the children falling, but the husband holds on, say ...more
Barbara
Twelve quirky and imaginative poems show the world in a very different world in this collection that looks at common occurrences from a unique lens. For instance, "Nice and Naughty" describes how one mischievous tot simply cannot bear to behave in the proper fashion and prefers to behave badly. The accompanying illustration for that poem, created through drawing and collage, shows how she has tied the mouth of a dog completely shut and tied the left and right shoes of several men and women toget ...more
Samantha
Poetry that tells stories of silly creatures and absurd situations and brings to mind the work of Shel Silverstein mixed with Roald Dahl and Dr. Seuss. Lots of rhyming, some nonsense and imagination for pages and pages; there's so much to like here.

Ink and collage artwork highlights the humor of each selection. Recommended for PreK-2+. This book would work really well as a collection of bedtime stories, share a poem each night before bed and it'll give young minds much to dream about.
Lynn
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Original beginning and having the 'a' on the front endpage and 'z' on the back.
My tongue got a bit twisted on a number of the lines as I tried to read them aloud, but I would share a few with students:
"The Man Who Writes Fairy Tales," "Brian Brink," and "Belinda Hated Getting Clean"
Some remind me of Shel Silverstein's peoms.
Illustrations are sketch-like, pen and ink lines filled in with muted colors.
Chris
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
I can't say I particularly enjoy Schmidt's poetry. It reminds me too much of kids that write poems and insist they have to rhyme. However, if they were translated from Dutch, that's not her fault, is it? I'm thinking that they didn't translate well. So that's NOt Schmidt's fault, which makes the poems extremely difficult to rate. BUT, I LOVE the illustrations. They're simple but with lots and lots of lines and squiggles and zentangly-like doodles.
Becky
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This 2014 US edition of previously published work provides 12 quirky poems translated from the author's original Dutch. Although intrigued, I was not satisfied in the end. My guess is that the poems probably maintain their flow and thought in the original, but the translations don't always work. I can't imagine translating poetry.
Melissa Mcavoy
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 6th, 7th, poetry
Five stars for the superb illustrations. The poems are odd, not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but I repeatedly felt the disconnect of translation. I'm not sure whether that is because of meaning or rhythm lost in translation or genuine cultural disconnect.
Kathleen
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amusing, poetry-plays
Great! A different, original source for fun poetry with astounding color illustrations. The poems are on the long side, so probably better suited for slightly older crowds, but aptly silly. I'm so glad there's a new poem to read aloud or two.
Scott
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
The premise of the poems are quite clever, and I think the illustrations are quite nice and unique. I suspect that the translator is at fault with the execution of the poems, which came across as a bit awkward.
Martijntje
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth, poetry
Wat zo leuk is aan dit boek? 100 heerlijke gedichten van Annie nu ook ( en niet onverdienstelijk) in het Engels vertaald. En zeer origineel geillustreerd door Sieb Posthuma. Eyecandy and taalsnoepjes. Lezen en cadeau geven. Hij is mooi!
Rebecca Plaza
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Super charming illustrations to clever poems on familiar themes. I can see being a kid and studying the pics for how the Tree, for example, comes to accommodate a family. Beyond Shel S. there's a whole world of inventiveness and outrageous looks at how we humans are so peculiar.
Stacey
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, nonfic
this is the only kind of poetry i like to read. clever, funny, and has a rhythm to it. i adored the drawings as well.
Haley Hoenke
#english #poetry
Megan
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
The art! Some of these poems are adorable. Best read aloud and in an English accent.
Emma
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE IT! Een must-have voor de boekenkast van een (kinder)boekenliefhebber.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A delightful collection of a dozen fun, whimsical poems wonderfully complemented with colorful, surreal illustrations. Originally published in The Netherlands.
Pam  Page
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Annie Schmidt is a Dutch writer and her poems are delightful for reading aloud! Combined with the whimsical, colorful artwork and you have a winning poetry book!
Laura Salas
Not my cup of tea, but I tend to like a consistent meter, which these definitely do NOT have. Maybe they work better in their original Dutch...
Monika
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bijna dagelijks met Elin! De scherpe humorvolle versjes van Annie MG en de fantasievolle prenten van Sieb Posthuma.
Meg
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, poetry
The art is real cute and reminds me a little bit of Ronald Dahl's illustrations. The poems read like Shel Silverstein books, which makes me happy.
Debby Baumgartner
Funny and unusual poetry by a Dutch poet
Robin
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, j-nonfic
Brilliant pairing of lengthy, clever poems and humorous illustrations. Immersive and weird and beautiful. Highly recommended for ages 6-10.
Alecia
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lost in translation?
Miguel
Apr 10, 2014 marked it as not-in-library  ·  review of another edition
a pond full of ink
« previous 1 3 next »
Anna Maria Geertruida Schmidt was a Dutch writer.

Although she wrote a variety of poems, songs, books, plays, musicals, and radio- en television drama, she is known best for her children's literature, for which she received the Hans Christian Andersen Award in 1988. She committed suicide a day after her 84th birthday and was buried in Amsterdam.